Night and Day

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
So, we don't have all that many Afghani students in my school, but there are a few. Last year, this young man arrived and he just looked terrified and lost. There is a lot of culture shock and language barrier from there to here, and it was clear the kid was having a hard time. He wasn't in my class, but he always looked for me between classes just to say hello. I was one of the only staff who knew how to traditionally greet someone from there and I think it made him feel a little more at home. Anyway, today as all the students were leaving after completing the MCAS exam there he was outside the school. It was amazing how confident he looked compared to last year. His English was quite good as well. He gave me a big American handshake and we chatted for a minute. It seems he's doing well. Very encouraging.

Just ran into the same student in the hallway, and he seemed even more acclimated. It would be hard to distinguish him from all the other kids in the hall other than that he was more well-dressed. Very confident, natural-sounding English and all. He even gave me the fist-bump like all the other kids do rather than the formal Afghani greeting we always exchanged last year. Impressive.

For all those who constantly gripe about "immigrants today don't assimilate like they used to," I have a thousand stories of people just like this who come here from all corners of the world.

Forum List

Back