NFL Player protected and served by Dallas' finest

• Banned
Associated Press

A Dallas police officer who detained an NFL player in a hospital parking lot despite his pleas that his mother-in-law was dying inside has been placed on administrative leave.

Police Chief David Kunkle said Thursday that Officer Robert Powell will be placed on leave with pay pending an internal investigation over the March 18 incident with Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats.

The officer had pulled over Moats as he and relatives were hurrying to see his dying mother-in-law. Powell drew his gun, threatened the NFL player and held him in the parking lot, officials said. By the time Moats got inside, the woman had died.

Kunkle said the department is "embarrassed and disappointed."

Unfortunately, it often takes a certain disposition to be a cop. We tend to give these jobs to authoritarian assholes. Don't get me wrong, I want that authoritarian asshole handling the criminal down the street but alas, there isn't always an exciting shoot out to attend or a drug dealer to push around. So, the guy on his way to the hospital gets that dose of pent up, asshole rage.

The cop failed to shut his mouth. He engaged the guy with childish banter instead of assessing the situation for what it was. Yes, the guy blew a red light and yes, he deserves a ticket for this. But the cop seems to have missed the fact that the guy's MIL was dying (not justifying blowing the light) and to me, he lacked empathy towards the driver.

Last edited:
The cop failed to shut his mouth. He engaged the guy with childish banter instead of accessing the situation for what it was. Yes, the guy blew a red light and yes, he deserves a ticket for this. But the cop seems to have missed the fact that the guy's MIL was dying (not justifying blowing the light) and to me, he lacked empathy towards the driver.

yeah, the guy handed over his paper work, told the guy to go ahead and write a ticket if he wanted to but his wife's mom was dying. And all he can do is keep repeating "shut your mouth".

Dick head.

The cop deserves to be fired, not given a paid vacation. The situation was clear to the officer, and he proceeded to bully a civilian just because he can. He should have let the man see his mother-in-law and left the ticket on the vehicle. Instead he wanted to assert his authority and let the man know who was in charge. Big bad police man with the license to kill.

I have been pulled over for speeding many times, going through a red light, going through a stop sign. But no tickets ever, except for the going through the stop sign one. Is it because I'm a woman? If this would have been me, or someone like me, would the cop have been such a dick?

Or was it just a power trip to prove who's da man?

Either way, his ass is fired, at least that's what our 6 o'clock news was saying tonight.

I have been pulled over for speeding many times, going through a red light, going through a stop sign. But no tickets ever, except for the going through the stop sign one. Is it because I'm a woman? If this would have been me, or someone like me, would the cop have been such a dick?

Or was it just a power trip to prove who's da man?

Either way, his ass is fired, at least that's what our 6 o'clock news was saying tonight.

Good news !

We've had quite a scandal here in SC over a vault of Highway patrol tapes that got opened up and released. Appauling stuff. One Trooper to a suspect: "You better run ******, cause I'm fixin' to kill you !" Hmmmmm....I think I'd run too if the man with the gun told me he was "fixin" to kill me.

The catch 22 is that we need these assholes to deal with thugs. They just have to be intelligent enough to turn that attitude off when dealing with minor traffic infractions.

stupid cop. look at how the car is parked, perfect next to a handicap spot....and my mother in law is dying....hmmm, right in front of a hospital.....hmmmmm.....let the guy go, you have his ride, he is at a hospital...

good lord

I watched the video. Can someone point me to the part where the guy told the cop his mother in law was dying?

Furthermore, the man's attitude towards the cop was no more respectful than the cop's attitude towards the man. He clearly became unruly towards the cop before the cop told him to "shut his mouth."

Last edited:
I watched the video. Can someone point me to the part where the guy told the cop his mother in law was dying?

Furthermore, the man's attitude towards the cop was no more respectful than the cop's attitude towards the man. He clearly became unruly towards the cop before the cop told him to "shut his mouth."

30 seconds into the video. He clearly said, "my mother-in-law is dying." Coming from a family of law enforcement officer, I promise you, this type behavior is inappropriate from the officer. The officer could have easily detained checked the vehicle in a safe fashion to check the guy's story. Then he could have called into the ER to get the woman some help before continuing with his business of writing the ticket. However, the officer created a problem where was none. Also, the man's attitude was justified. His fucking mother in law was dying in the truck while he was being hassled for running a red light.

Face it. The cop fucked up from the moment the man said, "my mother in law is dying." 30 seconds into the video.

Ok, now I heard him say it. I agree, the cop at that point should have done something different. But you have to admit, the guy was already being unruly towards the cop. He's just as guilty as the cop was.

Forum List

Back