Suicide numbers on rise with combat stress

Oct 18, 2008
Bowling Green Ohio
I believe this is what happens when you way over stretch the military with two wars, one we should be fighting(afghanistan) and one we never should have been in or even started(Iraq)

In January, suspected suicides in all branches of the armed forces reached an all-time monthly high of 24, doubling the number of combat deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan combined, according to military data. (Military investigators often take months to confirm suicide as the cause of death.) The number of suspected suicides was 18 in February.

Suicide numbers on rise with combat stress - Army News, opinions, editorials, news from Iraq, photos, reports - Army Times

Two wars?

We aern't in any wars.

I understand there is a 'Overseas Contingency Operation' but please, there are no wars.

Yep at this rate the army's suicide rate may match the suicide rate for male civilians ... in another te to fifteen years...

Two wars?

We aern't in any wars.

I understand there is a 'Overseas Contingency Operation' but please, there are no wars.

I think you have it wrong, so do take your tongue out of your cheek. We're in two wars. But ther was never any such thing as a "war on terror". You can't have a war on an ideology. If WWII, were a "war on fascism", we'd still be fighting it. The whole WOT thing was a way to get yahoos all into giving up their liberties in exchange for some illusion tnat they were doing something.

Terror is not an ideology. It is means to acheive the aim of a given ideolgy. In order to combat the means you do not have to necessarily destroy the ideology. By the way there are hundreds of essentially defunct ideologies littering the historical landscape. Ideologies die after a certain amount of time when the ideas upon which they are founded are disproven.

Feel free to substitute it with the word "tactic". Either way, the premise of waging permanet war is stupid, bankrupting and self-destructive...as we're seen over the last eight years.

BTW, where's your support for the premise that civilian suicide rates are higher than military. You can't just toss off assertions which may be fallacious (or may not, but we'll never know if you don't link)... at least not on this board. I mean, you can, but it looks silly.

Who the hell is talking about a permanent war. A long one almost certainly. We are after all waging a war for the heart and soul of an ideology, to wit, Islam. The purpose of which is to ascertain whether or not Democracy nd economic prosperity for all and not just the ruling elite can do for Islam, what it has largely already done for Roman Catholicism.

Unfortunately ignoring the current reality just guarantees even more crap down the road.

Easy enough to verify article 15 just go google US suicide rates. That's how I got the numbers.

Then figure what is it now 140 odd soldier suicides and divide that in to total service people that have served in Afghanistan Iraq. Tell me which is higher. I''s likely much closer now than it was 2 years ago when I first began dealing with this story.

Who the hell is talking about a permanent war. A long one almost certainly. We are after all waging a war for the heart and soul of an ideology, to wit, Islam.

Sorry, dude, it's not going to work out. That's a war that only we can fight.

Two wars?

We aern't in any wars.

I think you have it wrong, so do take your tongue out of your cheek. We're in two wars. But ther was never any such thing as a "war on terror". You can't have a war on an ideology. If WWII, were a "war on fascism", we'd still be fighting it. The whole WOT thing was a way to get yahoos all into giving up their liberties in exchange for some illusion tnat they were doing something.
Can't have it both ways Jill.

It's either a war or it isin't.

Congress and BO say it isn't, ergo we have no wars.

Easy enough to verify article 15 just go google US suicide rates. That's how I got the numbers.

Then figure what is it now 140 odd soldier suicides and divide that in to total service people that have served in Afghanistan Iraq. Tell me which is higher. I''s likely much closer now than it was 2 years ago when I first began dealing with this story.

Post your source, homey.

I told you what I did to get the numbers. If that's not good enough for you tough. If you are too lazy to verify my work kiss my butt Art.

Kalam we can help the side we'd like to see win but you are correct in that the followers of islam are going to have to decide whether or not they want to live in a country more like Modern Turkey or more like the Taliban's Afghanistan.

Forum List

Back