New York is waking up !!!

Or are the mom and pop stores forced to "look like heros" to people like you when, in fact, the mom and pop stores are not paying the higher salaries...THE CONSUMERS ARE with the higher prices they are forced to charge to cover the higher salaries people like you THANK them for paying.

You truly dont get it...do you.

Oh I get it - it is you that does not. The mom and pop stores may cost a little more, but they are usually of higher quality, better customer service and more unique merchandise - and they are important to the fabric of a COMMUNITY. I do not ascribe to the 'Murkin battle cry of "low cost above all else". It is you who are not seeing the real price of shopping there. I buy as much as I can locally, especially food.

You shop in Bodega's everyday, Douger, yeah right.

I do. That's where I get my coffee and yogurt every morning. And I go to the one by my apartment almost daily. And yes, most New Yorkers cherish non-chain stores... the tourists love them but no one I know can stand to go in them... they are mad houses. The Old Navy on 34th gives me hives - I will never go in there again.

Peepers, My sole point is Live and Let Live. Walmart has paid their dues, who has the right to deny them access to a Market? Do you even know how many Home Depot's there are in Queen's now? It's all Bullshit and Politics.

A minimum of 20 Stores in NYC area within 10 miles of my home. When I expand the search to 20 miles, it still maxes out bat 20 locations. There are many more than that.

Store Finder

Here are 20 more around Nassau County, minus a couple that showed up on both searches.

Store Finder

That kind of abuse is okay, but Walmart is the Devil??? Right. :evil: ;)

Or are the mom and pop stores forced to "look like heros" to people like you when, in fact, the mom and pop stores are not paying the higher salaries...THE CONSUMERS ARE with the higher prices they are forced to charge to cover the higher salaries people like you THANK them for paying.

You truly dont get it...do you.

Oh I get it - it is you that does not. The mom and pop stores may cost a little more, but they are usually of higher quality, better customer service and more unique merchandise - and they are important to the fabric of a COMMUNITY. I do not ascribe to the 'Murkin battle cry of "low cost above all else". It is you who are not seeing the real price of shopping there. I buy as much as I can locally, especially food.

Do you not see the contradiction in what you are saying?

If the consumer preferred "better quality better customer service and unique merchandise", then a Walmart will not put them out of business.

In other words, you are a victim of hearing and repeating talking points that I just showed you holds absolutely no water when you apply logic.

Walmart has paid their dues, who has the right to deny them access to a Market? Do you even know how many Home Depot's there are in Queen's now? It's all Bullshit and Politics.

Paid what dues? To whom? Their shareholders, I guess... We do! WE have the right to deny a destructive corporation from coming in. Back home in Georgia, we stopped a Wal-Mart and an Eckerd's that wanted to tear down a historic building and cause traffic chaos by being smack in the middle of a 5 points intersection. The citizens of the communitye should absolutely have a say in what businesses are allowed to set up shop there. All of the big box stores that exist are in Brooklyn and Queens... there's more land there. I don't go to them though... I've got about 8 little hardware stores within 20 blocks...

You shop in Bodega's everyday, Douger, yeah right.

I do. That's where I get my coffee and yogurt every morning. And I go to the one by my apartment almost daily. And yes, most New Yorkers cherish non-chain stores... the tourists love them but no one I know can stand to go in them... they are mad houses. The Old Navy on 34th gives me hives - I will never go in there again.

Peepers, My sole point is Live and Let Live. Walmart has paid their dues, who has the right to deny them access to a Market? Do you even know how many Home Depot's there are in Queen's now? It's all Bullshit and Politics.

A minimum of 20 Stores in NYC area within 10 miles of my home. When I expand the search to 20 miles, it still maxes out bat 20 locations. There are many more than that.

Store Finder

We have 4 7-11's and 4 CVS 's within a 1 mile radius (2 mile diameter) here in western Nassau county.
Yet, Levins pharmacy, which is located smack dab in the middle? Still up and running after 40 years.

If the consumer preferred "better quality better customer service and unique merchandise", then a Walmart will not put them out of business.

There is no contradiction. Sadly, most Americans do not care about quality in anything they buy, so brainwashed with commercials and television. And even a slight dip in patronage can cause many Mom and Pops to go under.

My argument does hold water. Watch what happens to stores in a downtown when a large new mall moves in down the road. Are you denying that this happens? I hate malls... everything about them and I do not like to see great little stores struggle and close because most Americans are stupid sheep.

Last edited:
Walmart has paid their dues, who has the right to deny them access to a Market? Do you even know how many Home Depot's there are in Queen's now? It's all Bullshit and Politics.

Paid what dues? To whom? Their shareholders, I guess... We do! WE have the right to deny a destructive corporation from coming in. Back home in Georgia, we stopped a Wal-Mart and an Eckerd's that wanted to tear down a historic building and cause traffic chaos by being smack in the middle of a 5 points intersection. The citizens of the communitye should absolutely have a say in what businesses are allowed to set up shop there. All of the big box stores that exist are in Brooklyn and Queens... there's more land there. I don't go to them though... I've got about 8 little hardware stores within 20 blocks...

So you believe in hate, anger and fear to dictate decisions.
Me? I believe in allowing the free market to dictate decisions.
You with the loud voices and fists in the air decided that your neighbors had no say.
Perhaps if you allowed Eckerd to open up, the lack of customers would close them down.....or maybe the desire to have them would result in a successful operation for Eckerd.
But you decided to allow personal emoption and anger to dictate decisions of others.
Quite interesting.

You with the loud voices and fists in the air decided that your neighbors had no say.
Perhaps if you allowed Eckerd to open up, the lack of customers would close them down.....or maybe the desire to have them would result in a successful operation for Eckerd.
But you decided to allow personal emoption and anger to dictate decisions of others.
Quite interesting.

It wasn't just me with my fist in the air, but 80% of my town. Collective bargaining at its finest! :eusa_angel:

There is no contradiction. Sadly, most Americans do not care about quality in anything they buy, so brainwashed with commercials and television. And even a slight dip in patronage can cause many Mom and Pops to go under.

My argument does hold water. Watch what happens to stores in a downtown when a large new mall moves in down the road. Are you denying that this happens? I hate malls... everything about them and I do not like to see great little stores struggle and close because most Americans are stupid sheep.

So it seems to me that you want decisions to be made based on your personal sentiment and the sentiment of your neighbors is irrelevant....as they are sadly misguided.

What makes you think they are misguided and not you?

As I said earlier...did it ever occur to you that the small mom and pop staores are not heros...but, in fact, they are charginng the consumer as they get proiased for offering higher salaries?

Quite interesting.

It wasn't just me with my fist in the air, but 80% of my town. Collective bargaining at its finest! :eusa_angel:

So you claim...but if 80% were against it, then there would have been no reason for Eckerd to open up to begin with.

Open your eyes...a small percentage of the people in that town mad a decision for every9one by applying hate anger and threats.
And it is sad you are proud of it.

Quite interesting.

YES!

Exactly why people do not appreciate collective bargaining.

It is supported by threats of a few and usually winds up with results that are self serving and not in the best interest of the massses.

In another 10 to 20 years wall mart will come to an end as the people from these third world low cost, no benefits, no restriction on pollution countries start to raise their cost of living standards as they see what the rest of the world is like. they will want working conditions and better pay along with all the nice things in life that most countries enjoy.

Ever wonder why a i-phone that cost 2.00 to produce cost 400.00. or a pair od nike shoes that cost 1.03 to produce cost 100.00 at the store. All the jobs were shiped overseas to cut cost which they did, but have you see the cost of the product that come back that are the same drop in price?

Wall mart does it on the cheaper items, as they import non quality junk and charge mid quality prices as they have not much competition.

They go as far as telling you what your product is worth if you want it in their stores and even as far as to tell you that you will need to set up production in off shore factories if you want to have your products in their stores.

YES!

Exactly why people do not appreciate collective bargaining.

It is supported by threats of a few and usually winds up with results that are self serving and not in the best interest of the massses.

WTF are you talking about? what people, those who aren't part of it? You mean I should do what I do for less so you can make more or have something cheaper! Which i might add never seems to get cheaper does it, all that stuff sent overseas comes back just as high or higher then it was if made in the good old usa, makes you wonder where all that cost savings goes to doesn't it.

Compete against them? When they move into a small town and destroy all the mom and pop stores -

Walmart does what, throw Molotov cocktails? They put goons in front of the other stores? What do they do to "destroy" these stores.

stores that generally pay better wages, mind you

That's a blatant lie. Virtually all mom and pop shops pay minimum wage with zero bennies.

- how can you compete against them?

Offer a superior product at the same price or the same product at a lower price.

Have you ever really paid attention to what those big box stores do to a community when they move in?

Provide more value to consumers for their hard earned dollar.

It's chilling to see.

To a leftist wanting others impoverished, no doubt.

So, are you suggesting laws which determine where people shop, so that they meet your goals and desires?

What about a war on automobiles.
Horse buggy manufactirers need to be protected.
And a war on Kroger and Publix.
The small grocer needs protection from those evil grocers.
And a war on cell phone manufacturers.
Tens of thousands of Ma Bell layoffs should not be tolerated.
Does anyone really need a cell phone?
JOBS JOBS JOBS. We need government protection for JOBS.
The free market of supply and demand BE DAMNED.

Forum List

Back