New Rule Announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take the time to read the new USMB announcement in the sticky section above.

Addition to USMB Posting Guidelines.
Doesn't "Funny" ratings increase your positive ratings? If so, and I'm pretty sure it is, this seems completely silly.

Yeah they do. But NOBODY is funny enough to deserve someone maliciously funnying about 24 of their posts over multiple forums and multiple threads in a 20 minute period. That's malicious and creepy. And we've seen it too many times. It IS stalking. And even if it rolls off your back as it rolls off mine --- it just escalates the frustrations and anger.

I personally take "malicious drive-by funnying as a badge of honor. It's that "click - click" sound when your assailant is out of ammo. But when I see 10 or 11 from the hater in one day -- it's mildly annoying. OTHERS are not that mellow about it. :rolleyes:

It's an escalation of the increasing friction around these parts. And using it as a weapon does not promote what USMB is primarily for which is discussion..
That's pretty much how I feel about it. When someone hits the "funny" button on my post, I take it as an admission of defeat.

What I like best is that they're trying to get the last laugh by giving me a ratings increase. I don't see a ratings increase as a source of frustration or annoyance. I prefer it over the individual spewing forth adhoms or making the same assertion repeatedly as if it would change the fact that I just proved it wrong.

This is all due to the rejection of the topical solutions nay votes..

Beprogel.JPG
I would give you a funny but its ILLEGAL. Can I give you an ILLEGAL instead?

The button is not illegal. Harassment and stalking are illegal. No actions will be taken unless the practice rises to that level. Maybe some folks ARE "genuinely" funny enough to get 20 or 30 funnies in 20 minutes in Politics or Clean Debate Zone or Energy -- but the obvious thought would be -- this person is stalking me.
So you going to BAN people that do it?

Beprogel.JPG

The button is not illegal. Harassment and stalking are illegal. No actions will be taken unless the practice rises to that level. Maybe some folks ARE "genuinely" funny enough to get 20 or 30 funnies in 20 minutes in Politics or Clean Debate Zone or Energy -- but the obvious thought would be -- this person is stalking me.

No, they're gonna send em a bumper sticker with a smiley on it.

Doesn't "Funny" ratings increase your positive ratings? If so, and I'm pretty sure it is, this seems completely silly.

Yeah they do. But NOBODY is funny enough to deserve someone maliciously funnying about 24 of their posts over multiple forums and multiple threads in a 20 minute period. That's malicious and creepy. And we've seen it too many times. It IS stalking. And even if it rolls off your back as it rolls off mine --- it just escalates the frustrations and anger.

I personally take "malicious drive-by funnying as a badge of honor. It's that "click - click" sound when your assailant is out of ammo. But when I see 10 or 11 from the hater in one day -- it's mildly annoying. OTHERS are not that mellow about it. :rolleyes:

It's an escalation of the increasing friction around these parts. And using it as a weapon does not promote what USMB is primarily for which is discussion..

You guys have a tough job. Seriously. Funny can be not.....funny? :( Now that's funny. :D

Kids-Being-Bad-Memes-01.jpg

Beprogel.JPG

Maybe... If it rises to following that person around the boards and taking their "recent post" list and funnying everything they can in a 10 or 15 minute period and it's UNDOUBTEDLY a stalking temper tantrum because they're an ass that can't USE WORDS --- probably might. If they have a history of doing that.

You guys have a tough job. Seriously. Funny can be not.....funny? :( Now that's funny. :D

There's all kinds of funny. Like stand-up genuine funny. There's "so hopeless it's funny". There's "pathethic loser" funny. Usually you can tell. It's not about what kind of funny it is. It's about a few members who can't use words to counter arguments or are lazy or just plain hate someone enough to go around and funny everything of their's in sight. Just for spite.

There's all kinds of funny. Like stand-up genuine funny. There's "so hopeless it's funny". There's "pathethic loser" funny. Usually you can tell. It's not about what kind of funny it is. It's about a few members who can't use words to counter arguments or are lazy or just plain hate someone enough to go around and funny everything of their's in sight. Just for spite.
If they are as stupid as our average mod around here it's VERY POSSIBLE to get one per minute!

That's pretty much how I feel about it. When someone hits the "funny" button on my post, I take it as an admission of defeat.

What I like best is that they're trying to get the last laugh by giving me a ratings increase. I don't see a ratings increase as a source of frustration or annoyance. I prefer it over the individual spewing forth adhoms or making the same assertion repeatedly as if it would change the fact that I just proved it wrong.

Agreed, but if and when someone stalks another day in and day out....week after week....ie stalking them....It gets annoying to them. Those people deserve to have a little peace here to be able to read and post.

Why not just do away with the ratings system altogether if it's causing this much butt hurt?

Because the FZ crowd would get all depressed and ornery. :p And we'd have have cartons of Prosac around.

And it's about 14 or 18 members that are REALLY abusing it. Not a general problem. Vast majority of members don't use it maliciously.

Then out those losers and be done with the problem.

Why does everything have to be a fucking secret around here? Who are the people doing this and who are the people whining about it? Both deserve severe mocking.

It's about time. I've been bitching about this for ages and just get called a snowflake for my pains. Ironically, the posters who used to funny me to death have all stopped, already.
But it's a great idea.

It's about time. I've been bitching about this for ages and just get called a snowflake for my pains. Ironically, the posters who used to funny me to death have all stopped, already.
But it's a great idea.

How does it harm you in any way? To complain about something like that is just silly and ridiculous when you put things into perspective, don't you think?

Why not just do away with the ratings system altogether if it's causing this much butt hurt?

Because the FZ crowd would get all depressed and ornery. :p And we'd have have cartons of Prosac around.

And it's about 14 or 18 members that are REALLY abusing it. Not a general problem. Vast majority of members don't use it maliciously.

Why does everything have to be a fucking secret around here? Who are the people doing this and who are the people whining about it? Both deserve severe mocking.
Oh, stuff it. If someone has something to say, disagrees with my posts, they can damned well come up with a statement in English that explains their problem. It's a discussion board. The trolls who come here to target and mock can go soak their heads.

Oh, stuff it. If someone has something to say, disagrees with my posts, they can damned well come up with a statement in English that explains their problem. It's a discussion board. The trolls who come here to target and mock can go soak their heads.

And they should be able to rate your post as "funny" too if they wish to do so. It does not harm you in any way whatsoever.

And they should be able to rate your post as "funny" too if they wish to do so. It does not harm you in any way whatsoever.
Plenty of people do. We aren't talking about a funny here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back