New Pedestrian Bridge Collapses in Miami

Now stating there are 8 vehicles under the bridge. 9 people reported transported to the hospital so far.

Chinese steel?

I think they said that that section of the bridge was new, and only recently swung into place. Whoever installed that section of the bridge is FUCKED.
First-of-its-kind pedestrian bridge “swings” into place

Thanks Wry Catcher and aaronleland
I looked at the construction process.
It seems the bridge was constructed off site
then lowered and put into place.

Whatever process that is, people are going to be wary now,
and just want to do things the old way. No thanks!
Look at the I beams they are destroyed bent and broken...It's the steel...

MACA. Make America Cuba Again
It started construction in spring but had to be commissioned in 2016 to have the work started. I guess this is what happens when you have shovel ready jobs, that weren't shovel ready...Liberalism kills people.

If George Bush was responsible for the economy Obama inherited, this bridge collapse is Obama's legacy left for President Trump.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight because as every engineer knows, it's the commissioning that holds up the structure.

ODS. Can't write this stuff.

I have lived here 17 years. No jumping spiders the size of your fist, and I live rural.
My guess is that they won't be using that "innovative technology" again any time soon.
What a shame.

What is crazy is the Romans built stuff that has lasted thousands of years and today society builds stuff that last just as long as they can build it again...

Sometimes the old way works better.
No kidding. It's crazy though that kids were getting killed crossing the street, which is why they built the pedestrian bridge.
Besides the jumping spiders the size of your fist, yet another reason I would never live in Florida.
That's a relief. A neighbor who went camping in the Everglades told me about them. She saw them on the roads as they were driving through at night.
You think they were actually frogs?

So who built the bridge? Did Miami save money with minority contracting and cheap steel?

'Wow, racism already. It doesn't take long for the bigots to use a tragedy to push their hateful agendas.

Clearly is was built by the Private Sector, and the crazy policy of going with the lowest bid can create serious problems, but race or ethnicity has little to do with such a policy.

I didn't manage the building of a new jail, but that manager was also part of the Chief's executive management team. The low bid was accepted by the bean counters, even though the choice had serious previous problems. They installed the fire protection system and cut corners using too small diameter pipes. The County inspected the work, and demanded it be removed and replaced to code. This set back the opening for several months and cost the county big bucks.

The take away from this experience is the private sector can put profit before safety, and if government doesn't their do due diligence, the public will be endangered.

On the national level, this is exactly what Trump voters voted for, eliminating regulations developed over the years to protect you, the reader and your family, have been repealed by fiat and executive orders.

News conference: mayor is watching via live feed.

Guess he couldn’t show up?

The Everglades, yes. That is the swamp.
I have lived here 17 years. No jumping spiders the size of your fist, and I live rural.
My guess is that they won't be using that "innovative technology" again any time soon.
What a shame.

What is crazy is the Romans built stuff that has lasted thousands of years and today society builds stuff that last just as long as they can build it again...

No kidding. It's crazy though that kids were getting killed crossing the street, which is why they built the pedestrian bridge.
Besides the jumping spiders the size of your fist, yet another reason I would never live in Florida.
That's a relief. A neighbor who went camping in the Everglades told me about them. She saw them on the roads as they were driving through at night.

The Everglades, yes. That is the swamp.
What a shame.

My wife and I drove Alligator Alley from East to West. The highway had chain link fencing and warning signs not to get out of your car. We didn't.

These reporters should be treated like schoolchildren.

"Raise your hands, and wait until you're called upon."

From the conference, the company building the bridge mcs? has done many projects with the county before.

Forum List

Back