New at Philosophy, and in need of some advice.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ThatDude30, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,008
    lol ...Dumbass bourgeoisie Burb Brat hippie nonsense, as usual. Why not just recommend some acid and a lava lamp?

2. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,115
    One of my favorites is Socrates, probably because I'm a Christian.

There are interesting similarities between Socrates and Jesus. Both did not write about themselves, but depended on others to do it for them, and both pursued truth, so much so it cost them both their lives. In fact, when both were confronted with continuing to embrace the truth, which would mean their death, or rejecting it, they both chose truth over saving their own skin.

What interests me most of all are some of the quotes from Socrates that seem eerily Christ like.

"A man who really fights for justice must lead a private, not a public, life if he is to survive for even a short time."

"My plainness of speech makes them hate me, and what is their hatred but a proof that I am speaking the truth"

Socrates understood that truth is brutal. It is a double edged sword that spares no one. Truth strips you down naked and makes you see yourself for who you are, which is the good, the bad, and the ugly. Truth does not take your side, rather, it merely crushes you eventually if you oppose it. This is why both Socrates and Jesus were murdered. It is because men loved darkness rather than the light.

As Socrates said, "I was afraid that by observing objects with my eyes and trying to comprehend them with each of my other senses, I might blind my soul altogether."

Socrates understood that although men could see with the eyes, they were spiritually blind to the reality of their inner depravity.

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light"

And what of the Golden Rule, the cornerstone of the teachings of Jesus?

Socrates said this.

"One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him."

There is also one other similarity between Jesus and Socrates, historians often question the existence of either. It's as if it is inconceivable that such men existed at all, that is, those would give their life for the very truth from which other men hide in shame.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,916
    Why would I do that?

4. BreezeWood

BreezeWood VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747

upload_2017-11-30_20-26-3.jpeg

one might wonder what impact John Lennon would have in today's world if the haters, picaro had not killed him ...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,008
    lol well I certainly wouldn't argue that somebody with your lack of intellect would consider John Lennon a 'Deep Thinker', since he was just a self-absorbed narcissist whose only interest was in selling insipid songs to drug-addled teenagers for as much money as he could get out of the tards. That's why he had such appeal to your ilk, after all; he understood his target audience completely and could relate well to them and their real ideals. That's what made him and the rest of the boys such masters at marketing.

I bet you have every episode of Beavis N Butthead memorized, too.

6. BreezeWood

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747

I guess you got nailed pretty good ... shot in the dark and look what crawls out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,008
    Another Beatles fan ... Beatlemania is like an incurable venereal disease, except the 12 year old girls who made up the vast majority of their fan base and targeted market grew up and moved on, while the stoners couldn't.

8. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,916

Why would I do that?

9. BreezeWood

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747

- one might wonder what impact John Lennon would have in today's world if the haters, picaro had not killed him ...

you needn't worry yourself, lost opportunities are a dime a dozen ...

10. DustyInfinity

DustyInfinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I had a teacher once tell me you can't really appreciate Plato's Republic until you have read it three times. It is stunning how relevant and how much you can take away from this book. One rookie mistake is to believe that morality is subjective. It takes awhile to figure that one out. I took a course on the study of knowledge, and I hated it. All you come away with is that you can't prove the sun will come up tomorrow. I don't think you need any special order of study. In Metaphysics, I learned that the physics students told me that physics professors make stuff up. I don't understand Leibniz at all, and what the heck is a "monad" I love Kant. His Kingdom of Ends is a logical match for the Bible's Golden Rule. It is logical to treat others as you would be treated. Finally, most philosophy professors are drunks looking for God.

• Informative Informative x 1