New at Philosophy, and in need of some advice.

ThatDude30

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I just sparked an interest in philosophy recently. I have been reading a lot on philosophy and the different branches. My goal is to have a broad knowledge of all the branches.

What I need advice on, is there a specific order to study them? Like do I need to understand 1 branch in order to understand another. Or does it matter where I start and they all intertwine with each other?

This is the order of the branches that I am most interested in learning. Should it be in a different order to help me understand and have a broad knowledge of the different branches of philosophy?

metaphysics
ontology & logic together
epistemology
axiology
ethics
aesthethics
political theory

What I came across while researching, when developing your own philosophy use another philosophers concepts and ideas as a framework to get started?

Is there any key concepts that are recommended?
Any websites?
Any particular philosophers work?
Any theories I should study?
Any advice would help?

I understand what philosophy is, but I want a better understanding. Any advice and or help would be much appreciated, Thank you.

I just sparked an interest in philosophy recently. I have been reading a lot on philosophy and the different branches. My goal is to have a broad knowledge of all the branches.

What I need advice on, is there a specific order to study them? Like do I need to understand 1 branch in order to understand another. Or does it matter where I start and they all intertwine with each other?

This is the order of the branches that I am most interested in learning. Should it be in a different order to help me understand and have a broad knowledge of the different branches of philosophy?

metaphysics
epistemology
axiology
ethics
aesthethics
political theory

What I came across while researching, when developing your own philosophy use another philosophers concepts and ideas as a framework to get started?

Any websites?
Any advice would help?

I understand what philosophy is, but I want a better understanding. Any advice and or help would be much appreciated, Thank you.
Go to Barnes & Noble and buy a copy of

HISTORY OF PHILOSOPHY by Bertrand Russell

then read it cover to cover several times.

That is your best starting point.

At the top of this sight is the alphabet. I would start with older ones like Aristotle and Plato, and go from there.
Except that they hated each other and taught opposite things.

Plato felt there was a Universal Essence or Philosophy God who rewarded good behavior and punished bad.

Aristotle felt that might makes right and that's what he taught Alexander The Great as a child.

Aristotle did agree that there must be some kind of Prime Mover in existence in the Universe somewhere because Someone or Something had to put all the stars, planets, comets, Sun, and the Moon in motion.

Aristotle also invented logic.

I think Russell's book on the history is the best place to start.

Modern philosophy begins with Rene Descartes:

Cogito ergo sum.

It's pretty over-rated. I've studied it, and it's really just a history lesson for folks who can already employ sound reasoning.

Which isn't everyone, of course. So, I guess if you cannot develop ideas using sound reasoning, I can see the utility there - otherwise, the intriguing things to ponder these days are theoretical physics and futurists.

metaphysics
epistemology
axiology
ethics
aesthethics
political theory

Any websites?
Any advice would help?

Go to Barnes & Noble and buy a copy of

HISTORY OF PHILOSOPHY by Bertrand Russell

then read it cover to cover several times.

That is your best starting point.

Or can be read online: http://www.ntslibrary.com/PDF Books/History of Western Philosophy.pdf

metaphysics
epistemology
axiology
ethics
aesthethics
political theory

Any websites?
Any advice would help?

Pack a bag ... Sell all your belongings you don't pack ... And take a journey around the world until something tells you to stop.
Talk to everyone that doesn't want to kill you ... And if they are comfortable, even ask them why the others that want to kill you feel that way.
Bring along some books on philosophy ... But learn what you can from the people as well.

Develop your own philosophy ... Actually contemplate your existence, examine your values compared to others, seek knowledge, apply wisdom and reason.

metaphysics
epistemology
axiology
ethics
aesthethics
political theory

Any websites?
Any advice would help?

Pack a bag ... Sell all your belongings you don't pack ... And take a journey around the world until something tells you to stop.
Talk to everyone that doesn't want to kill you ... And if they are comfortable, even ask them why the others that want to kill you feel that way.
Bring along some books on philosophy ... But learn what you can from the people as well.

Develop your own philosophy ... Actually contemplate your existence, examine your values compared to others, seek knowledge, apply wisdom and reason.

Man would I love to be able to do that! For years now I wanted to travel to various countries to witness and experience the world and different cultures. Every extreme that the world offers I want to witness.
But for now I'm stuck in an urban environment, where everybody think they are gang bangers. All my old friends are hooked on a drug or another, or alcoholics, that are going no where in life, that can not hold even a bit of intelligent conversation. Luckily I broke away from all that before it got to late.
People in the neighborhood got the police harassing everyone, thinking everyone is picking up drugs or what not. Gun shots every night, people getting shot couple houses down, at the local park, in front of a tobacco store, in front of a deli, even in front of the police station. I would love to just get up and leave..

It's pretty over-rated. I've studied it, and it's really just a history lesson for folks who can already employ sound reasoning.

Which isn't everyone, of course. So, I guess if you cannot develop ideas using sound reasoning, I can see the utility there - otherwise, the intriguing things to ponder these days are theoretical physics and futurists.
You know what? The more and more I get into it, its like I already get it. I thought there was more to it? It seems like it should be taught in middle school? Like its for people who cant or have trouble thinking or understanding things.
Today was the second day I actually sat down and read various different philosophers work and beliefs, and I don't find it all that difficult. Ok I understand the significance of philosophy was discovered early on and that ever since people wanted to know such things and wanted to be able to explain what every thing is. I can see how it impacted history. But now I feel as though I can answer most questions that were asked. I have my own beliefs and philosophy on various subjects and aspects of life.

I just thought there was more to it for some reason? Some concepts and information I read on philosophers just make things more difficult.

You know what? The more and more I get into it, its like I already get it. I thought there was more to it? It seems like it should be taught in middle school? Like its for people who cant or have trouble thinking or understanding things.
Today was the second day I actually sat down and read various different philosophers work and beliefs, and I don't find it all that difficult. Ok I understand the significance of philosophy was discovered early on and that ever since people wanted to know such things and wanted to be able to explain what every thing is. I can see how it impacted history. But now I feel as though I can answer most questions that were asked. I have my own beliefs and philosophy on various subjects and aspects of life.

I just thought there was more to it for some reason? Some concepts and information I read on philosophers just make things more difficult.

There IS a lot more to it. And there isn’t.

There IS a lot more to it. And there isn’t.
Very true, it just all depends on one's baseline.

Plus, provocative 1-liner quotes that really cut to the guts of a topic can really save some time.

metaphysics
epistemology
axiology
ethics
aesthethics
political theory

Any websites?
Any advice would help?

Bring along some books on philosophy ... But learn what you can from the people as well.....

I did all that. It doesn't make one a philosopher.

metaphysics
epistemology
axiology
ethics
aesthethics
political theory

Any websites?
Any advice would help?

Bring along some books on philosophy ... But learn what you can from the people as well.....

I don't think there is a lot more to being a philosopher.

metaphysics
epistemology
axiology
ethics
aesthethics
political theory

Any websites?
Any advice would help?

How would you know?

metaphysics
epistemology
axiology
ethics
aesthethics
political theory

Any websites?
Any advice would help?

correction I think there IS a lot more to being a philosopher. You cant just pick a philosophers concepts and beliefs you have to develop your own concepts and beliefs by experience and knowledge. How you perceive the things around you and how you see them. To understanding the and answering the questions you seek to know.

Forum List

Back