Nevadans Will Have An Opportunity To Vote To Close The "Gunshow Loophole"

The Background Check Initiative is a common-sense proposal that will close loopholes in Nevada law that make it all too easy for felons, domestic abusers, and the dangerously mentally ill to buy guns. We have the right to bear arms, but with rights come responsibilities. The Background Check Initiative will improve public safety in Nevada by requiring background checks for all gun sales, with reasonable exceptions for family, hunting, and self-defense.

Myth
Nevada already requires background checks for gun sales, so we don't need any new laws.

Fact
Under current law, background checks are only required for gun sales at licensed dealers. Millions of guns change hands each year between unlicensed buyers and sellers, including strangers who meet online or at gun shows -- no background check required, no questions asked. (Philip J. Cook & Jens Ludwig, Guns in America, 1996, available at http://safenevada.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Cook-Ludwig-Guns-in-America-1997.pdf)

Myth
Background checks don't work because criminals will break the law and get guns anyway.

Fact
In 2013 alone, background checks at licensed gun dealers in Nevada stopped 1,904 gun sales to prohibited people -- including 501 to felons and 374 to people convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors or subject to domestic violence protection orders. Closing loopholes in the background check law will make it even harder for criminals and other dangerous people to buy guns. (Everytown for Gun Safety analysis of FBI data, February 12, 2014.)

Vote YES on 1!

Nevadans For Background Checks

Hell no. It makes it a crime to loan a gun to a relative for a hunting trip. It makes it a crime for a soldier to leave his guns with an uncle while he is deployed. The law is a piece of shit pimped on the people of Nevada by a billionaire scumbag who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread and who employs dozens of armed guards to protect his miserable ass.

Fuck him, and fuck you for being a brainless toad trying to push this crap down Nevadans throats.
Wrong.

This is as ignorant as it is incorrect.

UBC measures have provisions with regard to ‘lending’ or ‘borrowing’ firearms that render such actions perfectly legal.

Feel free to post the section you think does this. And provide a link as well please.

Background checks work exactly as intended, and it was never the intent that background checks would keep guns out of the hands of all prohibited persons.
This is a lie.
It’s not a ‘lie,’ it’s a fact.

Nowhere in any background check legislation – Federal or state – will you find any reference to the effect that such legislation will prevent 100 percent of prohibited persons from acquiring firearms.

We know this to be a fact because Federal firearm law allows residents of the same state to engage in intrastate firearms transactions absent a background check:

“A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.”

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Because background checks are required only for the sale of new firearms by licensed dealers (FFL 01), or used firearms subject to interstate sales, it was clearly the original understanding and intent of Congress that background checks would not prevent 100 percent of prohibited persons from obtaining firearms.

Consequently, your post is a lie.

Not only does it not prohibit 100% of the bad guys from obtaining weapons. It doesn't seem to prevent ONE percent from obtaining them. Face it. Background checks do nothing.

It is a complete fraud.....it does nothing to stop criminals or mass shooters....the whole point of passing it.....and yet you act like it is the next best thing since sliced bread.....

The gun murder rate in the city of Chicago is not caused by the normal, law abiding gun owner ........the people doing the shooting are people who can't pass any background checks.....either at gun shows or through a private sale...yet they keep getting guns even with multiple felony convictions for illegal gun possession.......explain that.......

And the key point....they had multiple felony convictions....and most have multiple illegal gun possession convictions...but are walking the streets when they finally murder someone...

The key to stopping gun crime is actually focusing on the criminal....not making new hoops for law abiding people to jump through...the people who are not shooting other people.....

You need to lock up felons caught with guns for 30 years....you need to lock up people who use guns to commit crimes for 30 years....that actually works....

This isn't making new hoops for law abiding people to jump through. If you are already doing everything according to the law, then you're fine. This is cracking down on the super unethical rogue sellers who set up shop at various gun shows and sell to anyone and everyone because they only care about one thing -- money.

I don't see how anyone should have a problem with this. I think even you would agree that no one should be able to sell guns at a gun show (or online) and circumvent a background check. How can you be against that?

EVERY SINGLE GUN SALE should only happen with a thorough background check -- period. Perhaps you're one of those scumbag regulars at gun shows who enjoy not having to do background checks eh? Is this gonna put a damper on your business?

I don't care if a guy sells a gun from his private collection without a background check......catching the criminal with the gun isn't a problem....it is keeping them in jail that is the problem......we have felons...with multiple illegal gun possession felonies walking around chicago because they get a year or less for the illegal gun possession charge...

You are focusing on the wrong issue.....gun traffickers are already caught without universal background checks....I link to the stories all the time......the real issue is putting gun criminals in jail for 30 years...so they don't kill people....

But you don't care about that.....you have a hard on for normal, law abiding people....you want to screw them over because they own guns rather than catching the actual criminal who already knows they can't own the gun......

Save the theatrics. And save your stupid fucking conspiracy theories too. Grow up and start thinking like an adult. You're like a child who is perpetually stuck in the phase of playing cops & robbers. Guns are serious, and they need to be difficult to sell and obtain, and these loopholes which make buying guns incredibly easy need to be closed. End of fucking story. This isn't going to make anything harder for the dealers playing by the rules. Period. Every single non-point you're bringing up is a hysterical, emotional argument. Stop being so precious -- it's embarrassing.

This needs to be fixed -- and it will:

That's the problem. We DO think like adults. It is people like you, who are still trapped in infancy and are unable to think for yourselves who are the problem. France exposed your bullshit for what it is. No criminal will ever have a problem getting a weapon. Period. All it does is raise the cost to them. Which, because they steal their money anyway, means it affects the victims they prey on, but no one else.

They have a hell of a time getting them in Australia...

lol, not too bright, are you? THINK, McFly....THINK.

This initiative doesn't pretend to be the end all, be all of preventing criminals from obtaining guns -- so your straw man is just a waste of time. It's simply about closing the loopholes, and making it just that much harder for guns to fall into the wrong hands. Is it perfect? No, there is no perfect solution. But it would be damn effective.

If you had bothered to check you would see that the use of firearms is on the increase in Oz and that reason why we have more violence them then any way is because we have a much larger population of violent third world people living here than in Oz. That is changing however, and violence is on the upswing because of it. Morons like you think that if you just ban the tool the violence will somehow disappear which is an infantile belief based on the thousands of years of history we can access.

Background checks work exactly as intended, and it was never the intent that background checks would keep guns out of the hands of all prohibited persons.
This is a lie.

Nowhere in any background check legislation – Federal or state – will you find any reference to the effect that such legislation will prevent 100 percent of prohibited persons from acquiring firearms.

We know this to be a fact because Federal firearm law allows residents of the same state to engage in intrastate firearms transactions absent a background check:

“A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.”

Because background checks are required only for the sale of new firearms by licensed dealers (FFL 01), or used firearms subject to interstate sales, it was clearly the original understanding and intent of Congress that background checks would not prevent 100 percent of prohibited persons from obtaining firearms.

Not only does it not prohibit 100% of the bad guys from obtaining weapons. It doesn't seem to prevent ONE percent from obtaining them. Face it. Background checks do nothing.
UBC’s are perfectly Constitutional, in no way ‘violating’ the Second Amendment.

Background check legislation is not designed to act as a ‘panacea’ for all gun violence and crime; background checks work, they succeed in keeping some – not all – guns out of the hands of prohibited persons, and it was never the intent of background check legislation to prevent 100 percent of prohibited persons from obtaining firearms; to maintain otherwise is a lie.

This is a lie.

Background check legislation is not designed to act as a ‘panacea’ for all gun violence and crime; background checks work, they succeed in keeping some – not all – guns out of the hands of prohibited persons, and it was never the intent of background check legislation to prevent 100 percent of prohibited persons from obtaining firearms; to maintain otherwise is a lie.

I disagree with you. You have a progressive view of the COTUS, I have a constitutional fundamentalist view of it. I understand what "shall not be infringed" means. You understand, but don't care.

This is a lie.

I disagree with you. You have a progressive view of the COTUS, I have a constitutional fundamentalist view of it. I understand what "shall not be infringed" means. You understand, but don't care.

This won't infringe on your 2nd Amendment rights in any way whatsoever, so you can just relax and sleep well with your gun next to you at night knowing you'll continue to be BFF's forever. Ok?

This is a lie.

This won't infringe on your 2nd Amendment rights in any way whatsoever, so you can just relax and sleep well with your gun next to you at night knowing you'll continue to be BFF's forever. Ok?

It absolutely does. Color me unsurpried you don't understand simple English.

Here's an excerpt from a piece written by Ryan Saunders, a Las Vegas native and Iraq war veteran...
You agree that "super unethical rogue sellers who set up shop at various gun shows and sell to anyone and everyone because they only care about one thing" will not obey the law. Thus, you explained how and why the law will fail.

Given that the law targets the actions of "super unethical rogue sellers who set up shop at various gun shows and sell to anyone and everyone because they only care about one thing" and you agree that these people will not obey this law, it appears YOU understand it will not stop ANY crime.

This isn't making new hoops for law abiding people to jump through. If you are already doing everything according to the law, then you're fine.

Bullshit. If I want to buy a gun from my friend or family member I wouldn't be able to do that anymore without going to a dealer, doing the exchange there, filling out unnecessary paperwork, and paying for a background check. I don't have to do that now and it's all a waste of time and money.

I don't see how anyone should have a problem with this.

That's because you're a tard. Tards have trouble understanding simple things.

Aww, now you won't be able to buy a gun from a family member or one of your degenerate friends because you'll have have to "do paperwork" and "pay for a background check," you poor, poor dear. That's just devastating! How will you survive? What are you gonna do? Perhaps you could see if Taco Bell will promote you to shift supervisor so that you'll be able to afford the background check fee? Or maybe you can put together a GoFund me page?

lol, you fucking cretin.

This is one of the most important aspects of this initiative. There shouldn't be ANY purchases of firearms outside of a dealer and a proper background check -- especially through friends or family. Moron.

Nobody who intends on using a gun for nefarious purposes will be getting a background check you dumb fuck. Smart people understand this

Again -- shut the fuck up. If you insist on trying to make the thread about me, then I will continue to mock you. Every single one of your replies in this thread to me is about me. I AM NOT THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD. Is that getting through your brick thick cranium? Fucking troll.

Get the fuck out of here.
The expected response of someone who has repeatedly insulted and attacked anyone who disagrees with your opinion. The #2 post in this thread proves you posted it simply to flamebait others.

The OP was posted at 12.46AM, this was posted at 01:33AM.

Looking forward to seeing what this thread looks like tomorrow when all the gun nuts show up...

Last edited:
The Background Check Initiative is a common-sense proposal that will close loopholes in Nevada law that make it all too easy for felons, domestic abusers, and the dangerously mentally ill to buy guns. We have the right to bear arms, but with rights come responsibilities. The Background Check Initiative will improve public safety in Nevada by requiring background checks for all gun sales, with reasonable exceptions for family, hunting, and self-defense.

Myth
Nevada already requires background checks for gun sales, so we don't need any new laws.

Fact
Under current law, background checks are only required for gun sales at licensed dealers. Millions of guns change hands each year between unlicensed buyers and sellers, including strangers who meet online or at gun shows -- no background check required, no questions asked. (Philip J. Cook & Jens Ludwig, Guns in America, 1996, available at http://safenevada.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Cook-Ludwig-Guns-in-America-1997.pdf)

Myth
Background checks don't work because criminals will break the law and get guns anyway.

Fact
In 2013 alone, background checks at licensed gun dealers in Nevada stopped 1,904 gun sales to prohibited people -- including 501 to felons and 374 to people convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors or subject to domestic violence protection orders. Closing loopholes in the background check law will make it even harder for criminals and other dangerous people to buy guns. (Everytown for Gun Safety analysis of FBI data, February 12, 2014.)

Vote YES on 1!

Nevadans For Background Checks
Correct.

The ‘argument’ that background checks ‘don’t work’ because criminals will still be able to obtain firearms from other criminals, ignoring background checks, fails as a red herring fallacy – one cannot ‘fault’ a law for ‘failing’ to do that which it was never originally intended to do.

And some 80 percent of gun owners support UBC, illustrating that the vast majority of gun owners are intelligent and sensible.

No moron....it was never billed as just keeping a few bad guys from getting guns.....it was never explained, the uninformed heard background checks stop bad guys and without thinking about what that actually meant they supported it....

Liars polling the uninformed gets you the 80% number......

The only reason....the only reason anti gunners want universal background checks is to get universal gun registration when universal background checks do nothing to stop crime or mass shootings.....

Here's an excerpt from a piece written by Ryan Saunders, a Las Vegas native and Iraq war veteran.

"It has been weeks since the White House announced steps it would pursue to strengthen enforcement of federal gun laws, but confusion and misinformation related to the executive actions still abound. While the president’s orders drew significant media attention, those actions will not change the fact that thousands of guns are sold every year without a background check.

Despite the executive actions, there remains a legal loophole allowing thousands of guns to change hands at gun shows and through online sales, with no background check required. Nevadans for Background Checks is a bipartisan, statewide coalition of gun owners, law enforcement, survivors of gun violence and business and community leaders like us who agree Nevada can’t wait for Congress to require criminal background checks on all gun sales. As Nevadans, we must take action to make all of our communities safer.

The 2016 Background Check Initiative on the November ballot is a simple measure that would require criminal background checks on all private gun sales, with reasonable exceptions for family, hunting and self-defense. This common-sense measure will keep guns out of the hands of felons, domestic abusers and other dangerous people without infringing on the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun owners to purchase as many guns as they wish and use them for hunting, protection and sport.

Let’s be clear about what the Background Check Initiative does not do.

• The initiative does not require a background check for the transfer of firearms among family members.

• The initiative does not require a background check to temporarily lend a firearm to a friend for hunting or self-defense purposes.

• The initiative does not affect transfers of antique firearms or transfers to executors of estates or trusts.

• The initiative does not create a gun registry; doing so is illegal under federal law.

• The initiative does not affect transfers by law enforcement, security officers or military personnel in the course of their official duties.

• The initiative does not affect concealed-carry permit holders.

As Nevadans, we must do more to keep guns out of the wrong hands. States that have passed legislation similar to the Background Check Initiative have seen a 48 percent drop in law enforcement deaths by firearms, a 48 percent reduction in suicides involving guns and 46 percent fewer women shot and killed by intimate partners."

Background-checks effort doesn’t affect all gun sales in Nevada

He is either a dupe or a stooge of the anti gun movement......it isn't meant to create the gun registry...it is meant to be passed, not work, and then the next step is to say that common sense requires guns to be registered so universal background checks can work....

Moron....we know how you assholes work.....we aren't stupid, we know history we know how gun control has worked in the past.....

And once hilary puts on 3,4,5 supreme court justices...the national registry will be constitutional...

Over 500 gun murders in Chicago......the illegal guns used by the repeat criminals were not purchased with background checks....

This isn't making new hoops for law abiding people to jump through. If you are already doing everything according to the law, then you're fine.

Bullshit. If I want to buy a gun from my friend or family member I wouldn't be able to do that anymore without going to a dealer, doing the exchange there, filling out unnecessary paperwork, and paying for a background check. I don't have to do that now and it's all a waste of time and money.

Aww, now you won't be able to buy a gun from a family member or one of your degenerate friends because you'll have have to "do paperwork" and "pay for a background check," you poor, poor dear. That's just devastating! How will you survive? What are you gonna do? Perhaps you could see if Taco Bell will promote you to shift supervisor so that you'll be able to afford the background check fee? Or maybe you can put together a GoFund me page?

lol, you fucking cretin.

This is one of the most important aspects of this initiative. There shouldn't be ANY purchases of firearms outside of a dealer and a proper background check -- especially through friends or family. Moron.

Nobody who intends on using a gun for nefarious purposes will be getting a background check you dumb fuck. Smart people understand this

Listen, you ignorant buffoon -- that's not what this initiative is for. Are you retarded? Or just a product of the Las Vegas public school system?

Fortunately, Nevadans so far are proving to be smarter than the fucking morons in this thread, and the majority are in favor of Question 1. There is some hope for humanity, after all. Most Nevadan's are too smart for the NRA's stupid propaganda.

"Nevada voters favor a referendum calling for background checks for guns (66 percent support – 25 percent oppose)"

Suffolk University Nevada Poll Shows Clinton Leading by 6 Points - Suffolk University

lol, you fucking cretin.

Listen, you ignorant buffoon -- that's not what this initiative is for.

Ah, so you have finally realized that this initiative is completely useless

Over 500 gun murders in Chicago......the illegal guns used by the repeat criminals were not purchased with background checks....
If the LW anti-gun mob truly wanted to reduce gun violence, they'd focus more in enforcing present laws rather than simply passing more legislation that 1) makes it illegal to do something already illegal and 2) the real purpose: make it harder for law-abiding citizens to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

Now, let's get back to states passing a law to require a $100 fee, paid upfront for 5 years ($500), to vote.

Fortunately, Nevadans so far are proving to be smarter than the fucking morons in this thread....
You agree that "super unethical rogue sellers who set up shop at various gun shows and sell to anyone and everyone because they only care about one thing" will not obey the law. Thus, you explained how and why the law will fail.

Given that the law targets the actions of "super unethical rogue sellers who set up shop at various gun shows and sell to anyone and everyone because they only care about one thing" and you agree that these people will not obey this law, it appears YOU understand it will not stop ANY crime.

The only "fucking morons" here are those that support this "initiative" - that is, you.

Forum List

Back