The SC will decide if domestic abusers get to possess firearms.

You seem to think getting a restraining order does not required a court to issue one based on evidence presented by the victim.
The courts are biased against men in domestic disputes

Taking his guns foes not mean he cant kill his woman if he wants to

ā€˜Youā€™re Running Away From Your Argumentā€™: Liberal Justices Expose Grim Farce In Domestic Violence Gun Case

Tuesdayā€™s arguments married two of the most surreal ramifications of that decision.

The Courtā€™s newly established precedent forced lawyers to plumb the founding era for laws banning domestic abusers from possessing weapons at a time where even the most powerful white women were well over 100 years from suffrage and controlled entirely by their husbands.

And secondly, Zackey Rahimiā€™s lawyer had to commit to the extremity of his argument, showing how far afield the Courtā€™s radical stance on guns has already traveled. He contended that people like Rahimi ā€” the Texas drug dealer who the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled had his firearms confiscated unconstitutionally after he attacked his ex-girlfriend and then threatened to shoot her if she told anyone ā€” should get to keep deadly weapons.

A couple of the liberal justices lambasted the ludicrousness of the case from both angles.

ā€œIā€™m a little troubled by having a history and traditions test that also requires some sort of culling of the history so that only certain peopleā€™s history counts,ā€ Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson said to Rahimiā€™s lawyer, Matthew Wright.

She pointed to the reality of the limited founding era laws the Court has ruled litigants must pull from: They were written by and extended their protection only to, as Jackson summarized, ā€œwhite, Protestant men.ā€ Recognition of the legal rights of enslaved and indigenous people, for a start, is virtually nonexistent in the body of the law that undergirds the Courtā€™s rigid originalism.

Kagan joined with Jackson in cutting through the procedural fog.

ā€œIā€™ll tell you the honest truth, Mr. Wright ā€” I feel like youā€™re running away from your argument because the implications of your argument are just so untenable,ā€ Kagan said.

ā€˜Youā€™re Running Away From Your Argumentā€™: Liberal Justices Expose Grim Farce In Domestic Violence Gun Case

82% of Americans want gun restrictions for those convicted of domestic violence, poll finds
82% of Americans want gun restrictions for those convicted of domestic violence, poll finds

Once again Repubs, and likely the Court, finds itself at odds with common sense and the will of the country's majority, while simultaneously disregarding the threat to the lives of victims of domestic violence. I hope I'm wrong.

Three things are likely to happen if the result anti-gun folks want happens

1) Domestic Abuse will be re-defined. It happens every time a law tries to play to a label.
2) It will become evident to all but the mindless that what they want prevented is already on the books. The Maine shooter had 2 legal stops to having a gun but Biden admin utterly drooped the ball

The FBI didnā€™t finish over 1 million gun background checks in time to stop a sale in 2020 and 2021​

As gun sales soared over the past two years, more background checks slipped through holes in the system.
3) We will see another huge fight about gays and lesbians and unmarried living togethers as to what qualifies as DOMESTIC. We can't tell who a man or woman is, and marriage is any 2 or more pervs who want the name....
So I predict long-time unmarried couples will know resolve fights by legal action about firearms.

I bought my Colt .45 back in '10 at a gun show in Texas. I had to fill out the form. The clerk told me that if I answered yes, to 'Have you ever been arrested for domestic violence?' that I would be rejected from making the purchase.

Forum List

Back