NASA: We'll find alien life in 10 to 20 years

What extrasolar planet is most likely to be favorable for life US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
All 5 of these planets are confirmed and could have life on them. I think it is time to increase nasa's budget in order for us to find out the truth. Learning and exploring 99.9999999999% of everything outside of our little planet is worth doing. Blowing away a couple of trillion on stupid wars like Iraq that turn to shit makes less sense.

Exactly where would we be if it was up to the effin private sector? They wouldn't of spent shit on discovering the 2,000 extrasolar planets we know about. They wouldn't of spent shit on learning and exploring our universe...Nasa is the group of people we put in charge of finding out about that 99.999%! I think they do a damn good job on the tiny amount they get....Hell, more is wasted because of the constant canceling you bastards make them do.

NASA is the most deceitful and full of shit organization on the planet and you want to put them in charge of this????

Who else? The Chinese, the Europeans or India??? You're full of yourself as nasa is the ones that made this all possible. We wouldn't know 1/10th of what we currently do if it wasn't for nasa. Say what you want but their opinions of global warming but they have earned our respect for their advancements outside of earth.

The dumb ass private sector isn't going to advance science unless they can make a huge gain in dollars on it. Maybe asteroid minning in the future and very low earth orbit today.

Last edited:
The life they're betting on is microscopic. My money's on Europa's oceans.
Yeah, same here, also I understand Ganymede may have potential. Who knows, maybe some kind of aquatic creature.

I wonder what percentage of people assume "life" means "little green men".

I wonder why some assume life must be carbon based, and need water and oxygen.

While other kinds of life forms not based on carbon have been theorized, since everything on this planet is carbon-based, speculating on other kinds on other planets is kinda like doubling on the speculation. :)

What extrasolar planet is most likely to be favorable for life US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
All 5 of these planets are confirmed and could have life on them. I think it is time to increase nasa's budget in order for us to find out the truth. Learning and exploring 99.9999999999% of everything outside of our little planet is worth doing. Blowing away a couple of trillion on stupid wars like Iraq that turn to shit makes less sense.

Exactly where would we be if it was up to the effin private sector? They wouldn't of spent shit on discovering the 2,000 extrasolar planets we know about. They wouldn't of spent shit on learning and exploring our universe...Nasa is the group of people we put in charge of finding out about that 99.999%! I think they do a damn good job on the tiny amount they get....Hell, more is wasted because of the constant canceling you bastards make them do.

NASA is the most deceitful and full of shit organization on the planet and you want to put them in charge of this????

Who else? The Chinese, the Europeans or India??? You're full of yourself as nasa is the ones that made this all possible.

The dumb ass private sector isn't going to advance science unless they can make a huge gain in dollars on it. Maybe asteroid minning in the future.
What about what the men from NASA that actually went to the Moon and their testimony ?..No doubt there are wee micro beasties out in the universe thats a given

They've already found it. What they mean is they'll make it public in 10 or 20 years.
They're considering the religious consequences, no doubt.

Some Christians are already hedging their bets, saying that life found will be God's creation, so that will be the argument.

I think it's more the idea that they're waiting until they believe people can better emotionally handle the fact that we aren't alone in the universe and we've been visited many times without them freaking out and rioting and all other kinds of hysterical bullshit.

Who else? The Chinese, the Europeans or India??? You're full of yourself as nasa is the ones that made this all possible.

The dumb ass private sector isn't going to advance science unless they can make a huge gain in dollars on it. Maybe asteroid minning in the future.
What about what the men from NASA that actually went to the Moon and their testimony ?..No doubt there are wee micro beasties out in the universe thats a given

It is a popular assumption, but one that still needs unambiguous evidence.

The life they're betting on is microscopic. My money's on Europa's oceans.
Yeah, same here, also I understand Ganymede may have potential. Who knows, maybe some kind of aquatic creature.

I wonder what percentage of people assume "life" means "little green men".

I wonder why some assume life must be carbon based, and need water and oxygen.
Right on!
Life has been found thriving here on Earth in what might be considered impossible situations, such as super-hot heat vents at the bottom of the sea and in ice with no exposure to light.

We're only scraping the surface of where science is going, and that's pretty damn COOL.

They've already found it. What they mean is they'll make it public in 10 or 20 years.
They're considering the religious consequences, no doubt.

Some Christians are already hedging their bets, saying that life found will be God's creation, so that will be the argument.

I think it's more the idea that they're waiting until they believe people can better emotionally handle the fact that we aren't alone in the universe and we've been visited many times without them freaking out and rioting and all other kinds of hysterical bullshit.

Reason's simple enough, expressed perfectly in "Men In Black"

"Why the big secret? People are smart, they can handle it."

"A person is smart. But people are dumb panicy animals and you know it."

Absolutely right. In a herd, herd mentality takes over short-circuiting an individuals' better angels.

NASA should be ashamed of themselves. They are scientists for fucks sake. Quit trying to be rock stars.

They know full well that the life they are referring to is going to be simple extremophiles and single called plant like life. They choose to call it "Alien Life" knowing full well how the low-information public will take that.

Stick to the science.

I doubt that is the case at all. NASA is so bent on finding it that they have already jumped the gun at least once - with the premature announcement of possible evidence of life in a Martian meteorite. When they do find it, the question will not be if or when they will announce it, but whether or not the finding will stand up to scrutiny.

Yea i dont think theyd keep it a secret. Quite the contrary, theyre jizzing at the thought so bad theyve had false alarms several times.

Plus, people i dont think would freak at all.

NASA should be ashamed of themselves. They are scientists for fucks sake. Quit trying to be rock stars.

They know full well that the life they are referring to is going to be simple extremophiles and single called plant like life. They choose to call it "Alien Life" knowing full well how the low-information public will take that.

Stick to the science.

In this case, alien life is referring to any life not originating on Earth. So whether it is a microbe, Gozilla's mother-in-law, or Paul the atheist ET, it is still alien life.

Stick to the science.

In this case, alien life is referring to any life not originating on Earth. So whether it is a microbe, Gozilla's mother-in-law, or Paul the atheist ET, it is still alien life.

Of course that's true but NASA knows what people will think when they hear that. It just irritates me that they stoop to a stunt.

Interesting reading here, "The SETI post-detection protocol"
The Post-Detection SETI Protocol

Can't find it (to udnerstand you'd have to see my unorganized bookmarks file heh) now, but is a page somewhere with a how-to communicate with aliens should you encounter one using WWII instruction for American pilots downed in foreign language areas.
Visual aid based with sticks on the ground, string if you have it to make basic geometric shapes to demonstrate you're "intelligent" stuff like that.

UN prepares for 'first contact' with alien life
UN prepares for first contact with alien life - Science - News - The Independent

Relieved if nothing else, someone somewhere in government and power is taking this issue seriously enough to put someone in charge of it if nothing else.

Stick to the science.

How the fuck do you know that it will only be single celled life? The public and nasa should be excited as we've found nearly a dozen habitual planets that could turn out to be good choices for discovering this life. I hope the public is excited...You probably hope they aren't so you can get your way and end all funding for science.

Stick to the science.

Of course that's true but NASA knows what people will think when they hear that. It just irritates me that they stoop to a stunt.

What stunt, where?

I subscribe to the Rare Earth Hypothesis. Basically it says that although simple non-sentient life may well be abundant in the universe, complex organisms, tool users, are so rare as to be near non-existant outside of our planet. That isn't even talking about anyone or anything at our level of intelligence.

In that respect, we are alone.

Stick to the science.

What stunt, where?

Jesus!

Read it again please.

Forum List

Back