NASA: "Ozone hole now smallest on record"

It does thin a great deal over the dark side of the earth..

Evidence?

I keep forgetting that everything has to be explained to you in the same terms as one might try to explain a concept to a child... OK...lets look at the following passage from the text of Stratosphere and Troposphere Interactions: an Introduction. O3...that is ozone has a life time...not a half life, but a lifetime of about 3100 seconds.. almost an hour...at 20km...that is altitude....sorry..that is high up in the sky...an ozone molecule has a life time...again...not a half life of about 4200 seconds...that is about 70 minutes...

OK..so ozone in the ozone layer has a lifetime of about 70 minutes..and we know that ozone is created by the action of incoming UV from the sun breaking O2 molecules into free O atoms..some of which regroup into O3 molecules...The life time of an O3 molecule doesn't change because it is on the dark side of the earth..so when it is dark, and no O3 is being produced...exactly what do you think will happen to the ozone layer until such time as there is more incoming UV to start creating O3 again?

You don't seem to be able to come to terms with the fact that ozone is a very unstable molecule...

Stratosphere Troposphere Interactions: An Introduction
By K. Mohanakumar

he lifetime of free oxygen at the same altitude is about 4/100ths of a second, while O3 has a lifetime of about 3100 seconds (nearly an hour). At 20 km, the lifetime of O3 is about 4200 seconds, while the lifetime of O is about 1/1000 of a second.

Oh, never mind, you made that up.

Not at all...I am simply able to look at a group of facts and draw a conclusion from them without having to have said conclusion written in crayon for me..

You still haven't explained why the poles aren't completely ozone-depleted in the polar winter. The jet stream, after all, doesn't flow north-south. It can't replenish the polar ozone.

Of course I have...sorry that you failed to understand...while there is little to no sunlight hitting the ground during the winter...there is still a certain amount of sunlight passing through the atmosphere...and then there are very fast air currents that carry O3 along with the rest of the air into the region...This is pretty easy stuff...perhaps you should just slink away..your ignorance is showing....in high relief...

The evidence points out that your theory face-plants hilariously. Once more, planet earth says you're a Stalinist cult imbecile.

Lets see "the evidence".....my bet is that none will be forthcoming... You might also consider the fact that there has never been any evidence published that suggested that the lifetime of an O3 molecule was significantly altered due to the presence of CFC molecules present at a concentration of 3 parts per BILLION...

Last edited:
Of course I have...sorry that you failed to understand...while there is little to no sunlight hitting the ground during the winter...there is still a certain amount of sunlight passing through the atmosphere...

Congratulations, for taking your stupidity to new heights.

When the north pole has the earth between it and the sun, where is this supposed sunlight coming from? Is it shining through the planet? Are you some kind of flat-earther? I just ask because the round nature of the earth conclusively debunks your theory.

Your moron theory can't explain where the ozone over the poles in the polar winter comes from.

Therefore, your moron theory is wrong.

Notice how not even other deniers will jump on this stupid bandwagon along with you? That should tell you just how stupid it is.

It ia believed that Antarctic ozone levels will return to 1980 levels by 2070, thanks to the Montreal Protocol.
The people involved in the Montreal protocol got filthy rich. Dupont got Freon banned and made massive amounts more money on new refrigerants to replace it. Ozone problem! bwhahahaaa!

Congratulations, for taking your stupidity to new heights.

Are you claiming that there is no solar radiation passing through the atmosphere over the poles miles above the surface? Exactly how far do you think the earth tilts?

The Aurora Australis is a common occurrence during the antarctic winter...where do you think the energy that powers that display comes from? Do you still want to claim that no solar energy passes through the upper atmosphere during the antarctic winter?

Do you ever actually think about anything.....or do you just experience an involuntary knee jerk reaction to deny anything that doesn't conform to your cultist beliefs?

It ia believed that Antarctic ozone levels will return to 1980 levels by 2070, thanks to the Montreal Protocol.
The people involved in the Montreal protocol got filthy rich. Dupont got Freon banned and made massive amounts more money on new refrigerants to replace it. Ozone problem! bwhahahaaa!

Interestingly enough Dupont was the main contributor to one senator al gore....

Are you claiming that there is no solar radiation passing through the atmosphere over the poles miles above the surface? Exactly how far do you think the earth tilts?

23 degrees. With a 6400 km radius, we get ...

6400km * (1-cos(23)) = 500 km

That's how far below the horizon the pole dips. The closest solar radiation is passing 500 km/300 miles above the pole, way above even the barest trace of an atmosphere.

You could have done that calculation yourself ... oh wait, you couldn't have done it. You can't do anything except parrot conspiracy blogs. If forced to actually set up a problem and do a calculation, you're completely helpless.

Hence why you fail at everything, and why the whole world laughs so hard at you.

23 degrees. With a 6400 km radius, we get ...

Here hairball...do try and learn something. Clearly you have never lived in an arctic region and therefore really don't know what the hell you are talking about..

Did you catch that? Even at the period of the winter solstice, the sun is within 6 degrees of the horizon for hours per day...creating ozone....just not as much as during the summer months...

You would think that by now you would have grown tired of being made a fool of...guess your blind faith in your cult's teachings have just made you stupid beyond redemption...

Fascinating. Even though the ozone layers tops out at 30 miles, SSDD is still trying to tell everyone that sunlight passing by the earth 300 miles away creates ozone.

We should salute SSDD. Once more, he has completely overturned the fraud of mainstream science, merely by reading and repeating conspiracy blogs. SSDD, we await your upcoming paper, and the Nobel Prize that will result from it.

Oh wait. That's not it. You're just a butthurt kook raving on a message board. Never mind.

Fascinating. Even though the ozone layers tops out at 30 miles, SSDD is still trying to tell everyone that sunlight passing by the earth 300 miles away creates ozone.

We should salute SSDD. Once more, he has completely overturned the fraud of mainstream science, merely by reading and repeating conspiracy blogs. SSDD, we await your upcoming paper, and the Nobel Prize that will result from it.

Oh wait. That's not it. You're just a butthurt kook raving on a message board. Never mind.
Like I said hairball...I don't' understand why you don't just slink away...when you are wrong, why can't you just admit it?

I provided you with a video from a scientist in Antarctica who told you in simple terms that how far the sun dips below the horizon at the south pole during the winter. Six degrees, except for a few days. You can see 1 degree further around the earth for every 6000 meters of altitude you gain. So if the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon, you will be able to see the sun at an altitude of 36 kilometers...not 482 miles you claim.

According to NASA the ozone layer begins at an altitude of about 10km and extends up to an altitude of about 50km with peak concentration in the 30 to 40km range...If the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon from the point of view of a person on the ground, the sun will be visible to a person at an altitude of 36km...so clearly solar radiation is passing through the ozone layer, even in the Antarctic winter....except for a couple of days when at the geographic south pole, the sun never gets closer to the horizon than 18 degrees...which would mean that the sun would be visible at an altitude of 108,000 meters or 67 miles...nothing like the 482 miles you claim...

Face it hairball...you are wrong...I am right...now go feed your cats...

So hairball...how long before you start making the same idiotic claims again? Next time a thread mentions ozone, are you going to drag out your failed arguments again only to have your ass handed to you again?

So hairball...how long before you start making the same idiotic claims again? Next time a thread mentions ozone, are you going to drag out your failed arguments again only to have your ass handed to you again?

Lol.....that guy is always saying " the world laughs at you".

Who is "the world"?

This dummy still doesnt get that the "world" has rejected AGW. Nobody cares about climate treaty's. Nobody cares about sea level rise. Nobody cares about climate change action.

Where is this phantom "world" these people are talking about? Go on Facebook for 15 minutes....nobody is talking about climate change. There are obviously far more climate skeptics in the "world" than climate hysterics.

Again....these same dolts who think "the science" is this big thing people are consumed by also think Indigenous People's Day is mainstream.....think banning guns is universally embraced!

We love these people....this forum would suck without them:113:

Like I said hairball...I don't' understand why you don't just slink away...when you are wrong, why can't you just admit it?

Says the cult imbecile who just pooched it hilariously, again.

I provided you with a video from a scientist in Antarctica who told you in simple terms that how far the sun dips below the horizon at the south pole during the winter. Six degrees,

Shit-for-brains, he wasn't at the South Pole. He specifically said he was at Mawson Station, which is on the Antarctic coast, barely south of the Antarctic circle. The fact that he said the sun only vanishes for 15 days should have also cued you in that he wasn't speaking about the South Pole.

Obviously, your total screwup there means that everything you calculated based on it was also completely wrong.

This isn't complicated. If the earth's inclination is 23 degrees, then the sun has to be 23 degrees below the South Pole horizon at the June solstice. Your claim that it's somehow 6 degrees marks you as being completely clueless. You've now become a denier of the earth's rotational inclination.

Will you own up to this latest screwup of yours? Or will you just dig down even deeper into the stupid hole? I'm good with that, as it means I can continue mocking you. Seriously, I get the impression that on some level, you enjoy being made my bitch in public, again and again. Is that indeed the case?

Last edited:
Shit-for-brains, he wasn't at the South Pole. He specifically said he was at Mawson Station, which is on the Antarctic coast, barely south of the Antarctic circle. The fact that he said the sun only vanishes for 15 days should have also cued you in that he wasn't speaking about the South Pole.

So is it your claim that the "ozone hole" exists only over the geographic south pole? It appears to cover a pretty big area....and except for a very small bit of it right at the geographic south pole (as I already stated) sunlight is streaming through the ozone layer....just at a lower intensity than during the summer months. And as I also pointed out, there are some pretty gusty upper atmosphere winds moving the air, and all that it is composed of around...

Just the simple fact that the hole is there during the winter when there is less sunlight and magically goes away during the summer when there is plenty of sunlight should clue you in, but your cultish beliefs have blinded you to any sort of rational thinking...

So is it your claim that the "ozone hole" exists only over the geographic south pole

Not admitting you pooched it? Typical.

Your "But ... but ... winds move ozone to the south pole!" theory doesn't save you, as it's just as stupid and inconsistent. A big ozone hole forms every spring. Under your magic theory, the winds seem to suddenly stop supplying the south pole with ozone each spring.

So, what causes the winds to distribute less ozone to Antarctica in the spring, when there's more sunlight and more ozone being created? To survive, your theory needs to explain that.

This ought to be good ...

So is it your claim that the "ozone hole" exists only over the geographic south pole

Not admitting you pooched it? Typical.

Your "But ... but ... winds move ozone to the south pole!" theory doesn't save you, as it's just as stupid and inconsistent. A big ozone hole forms every spring. Under your magic theory, the winds seem to suddenly stop supplying the south pole with ozone each spring.

So, what causes the winds to distribute less ozone to Antarctica in the spring, when there's more sunlight and more ozone being created? To survive, your theory needs to explain that.

This ought to be good ...

Of course not...because I didn't...As has already been demonstrated to you that most of the ozone "hole" has sunlight streaming through it creating ozone, even during the winter months.

Now you explain how a lonely molecule present at 3 parts per BILLION represents a greater threat to the ozone layer than a naturally occurring oxidant which is at least as reactive to ozone as CFC's which is present at 5 parts per million...

Of course not...because I didn't...As has already been demonstrated to you that most of the ozone "hole" has sunlight streaming through it creating ozone, even during the winter months.

No, that's a crazy fantasy that you made up. You're back to being an axial tilt denier.

Notice how even the other deniers don't want to jump on the axial-tilt-denial bandwagon? That should tell you something about how dumb it is.

No, that's a crazy fantasy that you made up. You're back to being an axial tilt denier.

Notice how even the other deniers don't want to jump on the axial-tilt-denial bandwagon? That should tell you something about how dumb it is.

Still waiting...how is it that a lonely molecule present at 3 parts per BILLION represents a greater threat to the ozone layer than a naturally occurring oxidant which is at least as reactive to ozone as CFC's which is present at 5 parts per million...not to mention the natural reactants to O3 which are present at 750,000 parts per million...and the fact that the life span of an O3 molecule can be measured in seconds...

Tell me hairball...what is the likelihood of a molecule of ozone which is present in the ozone layer at a concentration of less than 10 parts per million and has a life span of just over an hour will ever even encounter a CFC molecule present at a concentration of 3 parts per billion?

That seems to be the main question...since the answer to that one puts the fraud to the whole ozone crisis and makes the rest of the argument, which you are also wrong about moot...

So tell me hairball....what is the likelihood of such a molecular encounter? For that matter, lets IMAGINE that an O3 molecule has a lifetime of days, or even months....or hell, lets give it a year since we are IMAGINING....what is the likelihood of a molecule present at a concentration of less than 10 parts per million encountering a molecule present at 3 parts per BILLION in a year?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back