My son may have ADHD

and what symptoms would those be ???

Ooh, the dreaded triple question mark.

I'm pretty sure you already know what the symptoms of ADHD are.

I know they are incredibly vague and subjective...because they are not real science

Then you've never had someone with that issue in your immediate circle, because the symptoms are pretty darn obvious in my family.

Ooh, the dreaded triple question mark.

I'm pretty sure you already know what the symptoms of ADHD are.

I know they are incredibly vague and subjective...because they are not real science

Then you've never had someone with that issue in your immediate circle, because the symptoms are pretty darn obvious in my family.

well then perhaps you can describe them and then explain how you knpow they are not simply personality types and are in fact organic medical conditions

If you want to discuss ADHD being something that is made up, start your own thread Eots. I was looking for stories and some helpful hints, not three pages of your tin foil bullshit.

you are writing off indisputable facts as tinfoil...ask your doctor...there is no medical test of any kind for ADHD it is all based on showing the behaviours listed in samsons site thats it..I am giving you helpful hints from experience...you do not want to give your child methanphetimines
I am not planning on giving my child methamphetamines.

If you want to discuss ADHD being something that is made up, start your own thread Eots. I was looking for stories and some helpful hints, not three pages of your tin foil bullshit.

you are writing off indisputable facts as tinfoil...ask your doctor...there is no medical test of any kind for ADHD it is all based on showing the behaviours listed in samsons site thats it..I am giving you helpful hints from experience...you do not want to give your child methanphetimines
I am not planning on giving my child methamphetamines.

good...because that is the prescribed treatment the alternative psychiatrist may offer is ssris..even more damaging..so dont fall for that either

Medications

Stimulant medications have been found to be effective in alleviating ADHD symptoms. Common stimulants include Ritalin, Dexedrine, Concerta, Metadate, Focalin, and Adderall. Some people respond better to one kind of stimulant and not another. Read more about Stimulant Medications.
While stimulants are typically the first choice of medication used to treat ADHD, there are a several non-stimulants that may be prescribed. These include atomoxetine, tricyclic antidepressants, and bupropion. Read more about Non Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD.

What is ADHD Treatment

I've read that in some schools, 90% of the boys are on drugs for ADHD. I'll bet that the majority are being treated for behaving like normal active boys...and the mostly female staff call them ADHD so they can drug them into behaving like girls. The parents are then pressured to do something about their boys. Hence the drugs.

Yet another reason to avoid public schools.

they tried to do this with both of my grown children when they where in grade school.. the very qualities they wanted to drug out of them that made them challenging students are what makes them the dynamic ,creative, driven individuals they are today

well then perhaps you can describe them and then explain how you knpow they are not simply personality types and are in fact organic medical conditions

No. Because you're spoiling for a fight, and I refuse to indulge you.

No. Because you're spoiling for a fight, and I refuse to indulge you.

Fail..

I have a close friend who was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 12. Her parents felt like meds weren't the right way for her, and so she mostly suffered with it until she went to college. She struggled, a lot ,with concentration issues and eventually went back to her doctor and was prescribed meds. The difference is night and day, you can tell just being in her presence when she is or isn't on her meds.

I know many people are very anti-meds, and I can understand why. I would only say, meds helped my friend immensely.

When you actually have ADHD and start taking the right med, it can feel like a miracle.

As if you had been encloaked in gray mist and didn't know it until you woke up to a world with colors that you could move freely and purposefully in.

many methamphetamine users claim the same..because you get a euphoric buzz or preceive some performance enhancement is not evidence that ADHD is a real medical condition

It's not a euphoric buzz, and it's not just perception. You do not have a clue.

Well, I gave you a couple of rounds of attention out of the goodness of my heart. I'll let you go back to your regularly scheduled spamming without further interruption from me. Your obsessive posts make a good case for the opposite of what you are proclaiming.

Those who believe ADHD is made up need to do some research. It's a neurobiological disorder that shows up in PETT scans of the brain. There used to be a book "Neurobiolobical Disorders in Children and Adolescence." It was available only at the college book stores, you couldn't even order it from the regular book stores, it was a text book for aspiring doctors. I have a copy. I've seen the scans, there is a physical difference.

many methamphetamine users claim the same..because you get a euphoric buzz or preceive some performance enhancement is not evidence that ADHD is a real medical condition

Well, I gave you a couple of rounds of attention out of the goodness of my heart. I'll let you go back to your regularly scheduled spamming without further interruption from me. Your obsessive posts make a good case for the opposite of what you are proclaiming.

Those who believe ADHD is made up need to do some research. It's a neurobiological disorder that shows up in PETT scans of the brain. There used to be a book "Neurobiolobical Disorders in Children and Adolescence." It was available only at the college book stores, you couldn't even order it from the regular book stores, it was a text book for aspiring doctors. I have a copy. I've seen the scans, there is a physical difference.

of course you provide no link for this made up fact...the psychical difference could only be found in children that had already been treated with drugs..there is zero...not one... definitive test to show that ADHD is medical condition..there is zero proof of ADHD being any kind of organic condition...do some research..

There are several myths about ADHD

There are several myths about ADHD that have become quite popular", default", but still to this day remain unproven.

Dispel the Myths. There are several myths about ADHD that have become quite popular, but still to this day remain unproven. Sadly, we continue to hear that parents are being told these same myths over and over again. Simply put, these myths are misinformation. Misinformation can cause confusion and frustration, and if heard enough times can cause a person to make the wrong choices.

Have you been told?

1. That there is an actual test to detect if your child has ADD/ADHD?

Answer: There is NO test in existence to determine the diagnosis of ADHD. There is NO objective test (blood, urine, bodily fluids, bile, or brain) that a doctor can use as an indicator of ADD/ADHD.

How we know this: In 1998 The National Institute of Health held a Conference on ADHD. At the end of this conference they issued this statement: “….We do not have an independent, valid test for ADHD, and there are no data to indicate that ADHD is due to a brain malfunction.”

2. Brain/Pet Scans as tests?

Have you been told that there is a brain/pet scan that can determine that you child has ADHD, but that this scan is so expensive that it is not affordable by the majority of people, and that insurance companies do not pay for it?

Answer: There is NO exact Brain/Pet scan that determines conclusively that a child has this disorder.

How we know this: On November 16-18, 1998, at the National Institute of Health Consensus Conference on ADHD, it was revealed that the on-average, 10% brain atrophy, seen in ADHD subjects, on MRI (structural) scans, was due, not to the never-validated disease, ADHD, but to the long-term methylphenidate/amphetamine “treatment” on all of the ADHD subjects.”

Last edited:
I attended many IEP meetings along with the ex. They had a decent group assembled, but my son's issues resided with his mother and not his physical or mental attributes. Not a commentary on your parenting, Ms. L. Just booze rambling here... :D

Funny story- we went around the table and made self-introductions. When it came to me I introduced myself as the "Paterfamilias". That drew a lot of laughs.

I was called into the grade school at the end of the year to pick up a final grade report. They're like "oh by the way- there's a half bottle of Ritalin left over from your son's semester. Do you want to take them now or should we call in his mother to pick them up"?

Score. :D

My son has ADD (not the hyper-active type). He's 31 yrs old now. When he was in 2nd grade he was really struggling to learn to read and concentrate on other work and would cry he didn't want to go to school. He was diagnosed with ADD, and put on Ritalin. At the time it was like a God-send, he excelled! He kept taking it through Junior high when he got into wrestling. I THOUGHT he was taking it through High School and found out when he decided to enlist in the National Guard that he hadn't taken it since he'd been in 9th grade! He wasn't taking it and just throwing the pill out! And he had gone all through high school being in sports and never once did his grades go low where he couldn't participate in sports, he was actually doing real well. He had just decided he didn't want to take it any longer and he had to make himself excel. He's now been in the Army for 10 yrs, and just finishing his Psy Ops training.

So i'd say don't worry about it too much. You might try the medication and see how it helps him for awhile. It did help my son a lot when he was younger, he just learned how to deal with it because he was determined. My husband has adult ADD (I think he's hyper too!!!). They say it is, or can be, hereditary. I know it's hard to put your kids on medication, but lots of times it can help.....

Yeah, I believe it can be heredity too. I for one have ADD, I know my mom has either or.
The reason I do what I do is because I don't get bored. Getting bored is my down fall, I usually just move on and don't finish a task. I have thought about getting medicated myself, don't know if I am ready to put my son on medication though.

My son's teachers never had a lot of trouble with him because he wasn't hyper active. He had a hard time concentrating. If his teacher was reading a story that he wasn't interested in, he'd wander off and do something else. So he had the same problem of being bored, and he's still like that! I think that's why he went in the Army and now is training in Special Ops. He loves to be busy and always something new.....

You could try some of the meds and if you don't like it just quit. But you might find out you can take low doses and feel like a different person.

I had a meeting with my son's teacher's and school psychologist, and they recommended I take him to a pediatrician that specializes in ADHD etc to be tested for ADHD. Many of you have might already know I have had my son in special programs since before he was two, and that they had diagnosed him with a sensory perception disorder when all this first started.

II have read some on it, but not a lot. The whole thing is scary at this point, for one I have no clue how I feel about medication, how to treat it, and even the diagnoses of ADHD. Feedback, recommendations, stories would be great. Thanks.

Oh my heart breaks for you. The school told me my son had ADHD. First moment we twigged was how on earth did a teacher make this decision.

My son has ADD (not the hyper-active type). He's 31 yrs old now. When he was in 2nd grade he was really struggling to learn to read and concentrate on other work and would cry he didn't want to go to school. He was diagnosed with ADD, and put on Ritalin. At the time it was like a God-send, he excelled! He kept taking it through Junior high when he got into wrestling. I THOUGHT he was taking it through High School and found out when he decided to enlist in the National Guard that he hadn't taken it since he'd been in 9th grade! He wasn't taking it and just throwing the pill out! And he had gone all through high school being in sports and never once did his grades go low where he couldn't participate in sports, he was actually doing real well. He had just decided he didn't want to take it any longer and he had to make himself excel. He's now been in the Army for 10 yrs, and just finishing his Psy Ops training.

So i'd say don't worry about it too much. You might try the medication and see how it helps him for awhile. It did help my son a lot when he was younger, he just learned how to deal with it because he was determined. My husband has adult ADD (I think he's hyper too!!!). They say it is, or can be, hereditary. I know it's hard to put your kids on medication, but lots of times it can help.....

I've seen kids on Ritalin or others from the early years, that by middle or high school give up the meds and it seems for most of them, they'd learned coping strategies. Perhaps those early years on meds gave them the focus to listen to learning strategies and behavior cues they may have missed without? I don't really know.

What I've also seen is homeschooling can be an alternative, if the parents have the resources and inclination.

What is the saddest of all is a small child being diagnosed or failing to be diagnosed because the parent doesn't want to cope or admit. School is hell for the child and that child disrupts the classroom, creating personality conflicts and often social issues too. Many parent meetings, most ending in tears or threats. By middle school the child is usually academically behind and very angry, for good reasons. Starting meds at this age is usually a horror for both child and parent. The hormones play havoc and most 12-15 year olds do not like the 'strangeness' they feel.

I completely agree! I know it helped in when he was very young, and he knew when he was ready to be off them. Now he's excelled way further than we ever imagined!

of course you provide no link for this made up fact...the psychical difference could only be found in children that had already been treated with drugs..there is zero...not one... definitive test to show that ADHD is medical condition..there is zero proof of ADHD being any kind of organic condition...do some research..

I provided the title of a book. Get it and read it. I've done my research. I used a TEXTBOOK for doctors. My son's dentist found the book so interesting he ordered his own copy. It covers Autism and other neurobiological disorders as well.

I don't care what made up crap you've read on the net, it can't compare to a TEXTBOOK used at the local university.

There are several myths about ADHD that have become quite popular", default", but still to this day remain unproven.

Dispel the Myths. There are several myths about ADHD that have become quite popular, but still to this day remain unproven. Sadly, we continue to hear that parents are being told these same myths over and over again. Simply put, these myths are misinformation. Misinformation can cause confusion and frustration, and if heard enough times can cause a person to make the wrong choices.

Have you been told?

1. That there is an actual test to detect if your child has ADD/ADHD?

Answer: There is NO test in existence to determine the diagnosis of ADHD. There is NO objective test (blood, urine, bodily fluids, bile, or brain) that a doctor can use as an indicator of ADD/ADHD.

How we know this: In 1998 The National Institute of Health held a Conference on ADHD. At the end of this conference they issued this statement: “….We do not have an independent, valid test for ADHD, and there are no data to indicate that ADHD is due to a brain malfunction.”

2. Brain/Pet Scans as tests?

Have you been told that there is a brain/pet scan that can determine that you child has ADHD, but that this scan is so expensive that it is not affordable by the majority of people, and that insurance companies do not pay for it?

Answer: There is NO exact Brain/Pet scan that determines conclusively that a child has this disorder.

How we know this: On November 16-18, 1998, at the National Institute of Health Consensus Conference on ADHD, it was revealed that the on-average, 10% brain atrophy, seen in ADHD subjects, on MRI (structural) scans, was due, not to the never-validated disease, ADHD, but to the long-term methylphenidate/amphetamine “treatment” on all of the ADHD subjects.”

Okay, my information is older than this therefore, perhaps I'm wrong. There is nothing in the above that states ADHD doesn't exist, and it ignores completely the blind studies where the children do better on the drug than off.

there are several myths about adhd

there are several myths about adhd that have become quite popular", default", but still to this day remain unproven.

Dispel the myths. There are several myths about adhd that have become quite popular, but still to this day remain unproven. Sadly, we continue to hear that parents are being told these same myths over and over again. Simply put, these myths are misinformation. Misinformation can cause confusion and frustration, and if heard enough times can cause a person to make the wrong choices.

Have you been told?

1. That there is an actual test to detect if your child has add/adhd?

answer: There is no test in existence to determine the diagnosis of adhd. there is no objective test (blood, urine, bodily fluids, bile, or brain) that a doctor can use as an indicator of add/adhd.

How we know this: In 1998 the national institute of health held a conference on adhd. At the end of this conference they issued this statement: “….we do not have an independent, valid test for adhd, and there are no data to indicate that adhd is due to a brain malfunction.”

2. Brain/pet scans as tests?

have you been told that there is a brain/pet scan that can determine that you child has adhd, but that this scan is so expensive that it is not affordable by the majority of people, and that insurance companies do not pay for it?

answer: There is no exact brain/pet scan that determines conclusively that a child has this disorder.

how we know this: On november 16-18, 1998, at the national institute of health consensus conference on adhd, it was revealed that the on-average, 10% brain atrophy, seen in adhd subjects, on mri (structural) scans, was due, not to the never-validated disease, adhd, but to the long-term methylphenidate/amphetamine “treatment” on all of the adhd subjects.”

there are several myths about adhd

okay, my information is older than this therefore, perhaps i'm wrong. There is nothing in the above that states adhd doesn't exist, and it ignores completely the blind studies where the children do better on the drug than off.

and now you reference more in-linked studies...there are studies that say steroid users run faster in your world it would seem logical to then assume before the drugs they had a medical muscular disorder...if you want to make the argument that there is nothing wrong with a little bit of speed to stay focused and get the job done you might have a case..but there is no case for ADHD is a brain disorder

Last edited:

Forum List

Back