My Kitten

So, two days ago, one of my cats had two kittens(That I know of) and was keeping them in a box, on the porch. I went out to check on them every two hours, and seemingly suddenly... one of them had developed some sort of wound near its tail, on its side. It happened in the span of two hours, and I have no idea how it happened... it had already died, so there was nothing I could do. I was afraid it could happen to the other, so I brought it inside and started bottle feeding it. It was fine at 4AM this morning when I fed it last, but had that same wound as the other kitten at 8AM when I checked on it again... the wound is filled with maggots already. I kept it in a closet, in a box, with a blanket and a heat lamp, so nothing could get in to hurt it, and checked on it every two hours(Excluding 4 hours to sleep). The kitten is barely moving, I just fed it again... I don't think there's anything else I can do. Does anyone have any information for this? I'm so confused. I feel like I failed the poor thing...

A rat or momma didnt want kittens.
She did leave them on the porch, and this isn't the first time. I have a cat from one of her previous litters, last surviving kitten, that I fed and raised myself. She let the rest starve to death, I suspect. Really, neither of my female outside cats have been very good mothers.

Are the cats fed well? If they dont have the proper nutrition to produce milk they will kill the liter.
Yes, they are. I feed them every time I see their bowl empty, and they definitely don't look slim.

So, two days ago, one of my cats had two kittens(That I know of) and was keeping them in a box, on the porch. I went out to check on them every two hours, and seemingly suddenly... one of them had developed some sort of wound near its tail, on its side. It happened in the span of two hours, and I have no idea how it happened... it had already died, so there was nothing I could do. I was afraid it could happen to the other, so I brought it inside and started bottle feeding it. It was fine at 4AM this morning when I fed it last, but had that same wound as the other kitten at 8AM when I checked on it again... the wound is filled with maggots already. I kept it in a closet, in a box, with a blanket and a heat lamp, so nothing could get in to hurt it, and checked on it every two hours(Excluding 4 hours to sleep). The kitten is barely moving, I just fed it again... I don't think there's anything else I can do. Does anyone have any information for this? I'm so confused. I feel like I failed the poor thing...

She did leave them on the porch, and this isn't the first time. I have a cat from one of her previous litters, last surviving kitten, that I fed and raised myself. She let the rest starve to death, I suspect. Really, neither of my female outside cats have been very good mothers.

Are the cats fed well? If they dont have the proper nutrition to produce milk they will kill the liter.
Yes, they are. I feed them every time I see their bowl empty, and they definitely don't look slim.

Did the mother produce milk?

I'm not sure, I didn't see her feed them. That's the other reason I brought the surviving one inside and bottle fed it.

I'm not sure, I didn't see her feed them. That's the other reason I brought the surviving one inside and bottle fed it.

Take a look at her teats.
If she didnt produce milk it would be pretty obvious.

Can you get it to a vet?
I can't, the nearest vet is an hour away, my parents won't spend the money on it, and I'm not old enough to drive.

???

How old are you then?

thud.gif

Take a look at her teats.
If she didnt produce milk it would be pretty obvious.
Well, the mother doesn't let me get near them. They're kinda outside cats that only come up on the porch for food. I did notice that her nipples were actually large enough to be noticeable, though. So, I guess she did feed them at one point? When I found them on the porch, they had their eyes open, so they must have been some number of weeks old. I don't think they'd have lived that long if they weren't being fed.

Bring it to the vet. They might be able to save it's life.

After a little research, it turns out that what was in my kitten was maggot eggs... not actual hatched maggots. The kitten died several hours ago. *Sigh* I wasn't going to say anything, but I figured I should mention it for anyone else that cared.

After a little research, it turns out that what was in my kitten was maggot eggs... not actual hatched maggots. The kitten died several hours ago. *Sigh* I wasn't going to say anything, but I figured I should mention it for anyone else that cared.

I've never heard of maggots forming from the inside out.
And i dont see how it's possible because maggots are nothing more than fly eggs,which of course cant be laid on healthy tissue that hasnt been compromised.
Something else happened here.

Doesn't seem like it was meant to be. And I think there were likely two or three more already gone before you found them considering normal litter sizes.

You've been through a lot. A stark lesson on life and survival, but you expressed real compassion.
Hold on to that, always. It's never wasted.

And i dont see how it's possible because maggots are nothing more than fly eggs,which of course cant be laid on healthy tissue that hasnt been compromised.
I thought so, but I don't know what. I'm so confused...

I still lean towards rats or a mother that doesnt want kittens.
Something caused the wounds in order for the flies to lay eggs.

Nothing to be confused about...something broke the skin and flies laid eggs.

Doesn't seem like it was meant to be. And I think there were likely two or three more already gone before you found them considering normal litter sizes.

You've been through a lot. A stark lesson on life and survival, but you expressed real compassion.
I sprayed the wound with disinfectant and wrapped it, but I don't know what else I could have done. I still don't understand what happened. I know animals don't just die without reason...

But I don't know how a rat could have got in, I had it in a box, in a closet. By all rights, it should have been safe. I've never seen a rat in the basement...

I sprayed the wound with disinfectant and wrapped it, but I don't know what else I could have done. I still don't understand what happened. I know animals don't just die without reason...

Blaming yourself is the wrong thing to do. You did everything right but it wasn't meant to be. We don't see it all from our sanitized world where kittens come from a pet store, but out there in Nature --- it's raw. There is much that does not survive. That's not good or bad, it just "is".

Wasn't that long ago that people had lots of babies, partly because you never knew if they were going to make it even to a double-digit age. There are no guarantees.

But I don't know how a rat could have got in, I had it in a box, in a closet. By all rights, it should have been safe. I've never seen a rat in the basement...

You might be surprised where you find rats.
I live in a 5000 square foot custom home and I never thought we had rats....until I was up in the attic and found trails through the insulation.
They're sneaky bastards.

Forum List

Back