MW advocates - what are the downsides of minimum wage?

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
This thread is addressed to supporters of minimum wage laws. Detractors claim that minimum wage causes unemployment and/or inflation. But most supporters will vigorously deny this. Yet they seem to set their sights pretty low when it comes to setting the level of minimum wage. I assume this is because they believe there is some downside to minimum wage, some reason to not raise it to $200/hr, but it seems they never want to talk about what that reason might be. Hopefully, someone will step up here, and clear the air.

There are no downsides to a minimum wage law. What you perceive as a downside is a knowledge that you must start somewhere and typically thats at the bottom. People that start at the bottom should expect a bottom salary that pays the basic bills. It shouldnt pay for your new Bentley. Hence you shouldnt be making $200 per hour.

There are no downsides to a minimum wage law. What you perceive as a downside is a knowledge that you must start somewhere and typically thats at the bottom. People that start at the bottom should expect a bottom salary that pays the basic bills. It shouldnt pay for your new Bentley. Hence you shouldnt be making $200 per hour.

What basic bills are that...

Democrat high taxes or republican low taxes?

Food, clothing, education, and shelter

Then you agree the minimum wage should be a states decision and not a national one.

Then you agree the minimum wage should be a states decision and not a national one.

No. I think it should be a national one.

Why like I posted a million times in a million threads on minimum wage $8 bucks an hour in Alabama is like $20 bucks an hour in New York City

The only possible reason a person would want it national is to prevent jobs from moving.

Why like I posted a million times in a million threads on minimum wage $8 bucks an hour in Alabama is like $20 bucks an hour in New York City

The only possible reason a person would want it national is to prevent jobs from moving.

Its a pretty simple explanation. If left up to the states like Alabama or Mississippi they may set it $1 an hour. We cant have retarded states like that determining what minimum wage is. Its way smarter to have someone on a national level setting the minimum wage for each state.

Inflation is here. That is why fewer workers are making minimum wage. Employers are needing to increase wages for low and non skilled workers to fill positions. Forcing a $15 minimum wage will cause dramatic inflation, and it will hurt the lower income workers the most. It will force layoffs and higher prices as well as more automation to eliminate menial jobs.

People in Entry level, unskilled jobs should not expect to be able to raise a family on that salary. Work hard, learn marketable skills and educate yourself before starting a family. If you are unable or unwilling to do that, then you shouldn’t be having kids.

There are no downsides to a minimum wage law. What you perceive as a downside is ...
What I perceive as a downside is that it causes unemployment and inflation, and is a violation of basic economic liberty. But my objections aren't the point of the thread.

.. a knowledge that you must start somewhere and typically thats at the bottom. People that start at the bottom should expect a bottom salary that pays the basic bills. It shouldnt pay for your new Bentley. Hence you shouldnt be making $200 per hour.

Ok, so is this your reason for not raising it more? I'm still not clear. If it wouldn't cause any problems, why would you want everyone to be rich?

Its a pretty simple explanation. If left up to the states like Alabama or Mississippi they may set it $1 an hour. We cant have retarded states like that determining what minimum wage is. Its way smarter to have someone on a national level setting the minimum wage for each state.

I also posted it a million times, look at the job boards, in low minimum wage states people pay way over minimum wage, in high minimum wage states people pay at right around minimum wage ...

This thread is addressed to supporters of minimum wage laws. Detractors claim that minimum wage causes unemployment and/or inflation. But most supporters will vigorously deny this. Yet they seem to set their sights pretty low when it comes to setting the level of minimum wage. I assume this is because they believe there is some downside to minimum wage, some reason to not raise it to $200/hr, but it seems they never want to talk about what that reason might be. Hopefully, someone will step up here, and clear the air.
I am on the left and do not deny or disparage the laws of demand or supply, not even in short run equilibriums.

The long run, is what we are discussing.

Unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed solves that problem in a market friendly manner.

There are no downsides to a minimum wage law. What you perceive as a downside is ...
What I perceive as a downside is that it causes unemployment and inflation, and is a violation of basic economic liberty. But my objections aren't the point of the thread.

.. a knowledge that you must start somewhere and typically thats at the bottom. People that start at the bottom should expect a bottom salary that pays the basic bills. It shouldnt pay for your new Bentley. Hence you shouldnt be making $200 per hour.

Ok, so is this your reason for not raising it more? I'm still not clear. If it wouldn't cause any problems, why would you want everyone to be rich?
Well you assumed there was a downside that advocates of MW laws had and youre right your objections werent the point since you specifically asked about what downsides I saw.

I cant put it to you any clearer. Obviously you have the assumption that MW advocates believe everyone should be rich. No one with a brain thinks or assumes that.

I also posted it a million times, look at the job boards, in low minimum wage states people pay way over minimum wage, in high minimum wage states people pay at right around minimum wage ...

Not sure how that changes my point even if what you say is true?

I'll play devils advocate. It squeezes the middle and retired folks living on fixed incomes. The people at the top just raise prices to keep their profit margins/bonuses up.

The concept of a "Living Wage" for entry level jobs is ludicrous as those jobs were never intended to support families, but as starter positions, or second jobs.

Of course there is a downside to a minimum wage law. The minimum wage for each job is set naturally by the supply and demand for labor for that job. When you pass a law that raises the minimum wage above that natural minimum wage, you provide an incentive for the employer to replace the worker with a smart machine, and since minimum wage laws effect only low skilled or unskilled workers, these are the jobs that can most easily be done by machines. So a meaningful minimum wage law will over time result in the loss of jobs.

I cant put it to you any clearer. Obviously you have the assumption that MW advocates believe everyone should be rich. No one with a brain thinks or assumes that.

I'm sorry you're giving up. I don't have any assumption about what MW advocates believe - thus the thread. I was hoping you'd give me some insight.

Minimum wage has destroyed much of life's learning experience for millions upon millions of our youth.

When the $15 per hour was first suggested McDonalds started putting kiosks in the store. Ordering at the counter won't bring your food any faster. Drive thru customers get first priority, then kiosk orders and finally the cold hamburger order. Then, Walmart and grocery chains started Home Delivery. People who wonder why a big store like Walmart and Target have 18 cash registers have only 2 or 3 open and a dozen self-checkout stations can thank the minimum wage crusaders.

Forum List

Back