MW advocates - what are the downsides of minimum wage?

So, there d
When the $15 per hour was first suggested McDonalds started putting kiosks in the store. Ordering at the counter won't bring your food any faster. Drive thru customers get first priority, then kiosk orders and finally the cold hamburger order. Then, Walmart and grocery chains started Home Delivery. People who wonder why a big store like Walmart and Target have 18 cash registers have only 2 or 3 open and a dozen self-checkout stations can thank the minimum wage crusaders.
They will put kiosks in regardless of wages, and automate wherever they can.

read -->

“Back in the 1960s, a minimum wage job would support a family of three,” Warren said at a campaign event for Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D) in Wisconsin. “It would cover a mortgage, it would cover the utilities and it would still put food on the table.”

“Why did a minimum wage job cover a family of three? Because Congress said a minimum wage should be a wage that a family can live on," Warren continued. "It should give them a chance to get in the middle class. That’s government that works for the people." ...

Today, Warren said, full-time, minimum-wage jobs “will not keep a momma and a baby out of poverty.”

“It will not pay the rent on a two-bedroom apartment,” she added. “It will not permit a family to survive.”

“And what happens down in Washington, where we haven’t raised the minimum wage for years, the question is not what does it take a family of three to survive,” she continued. “The question is what maximizes the profitability of Walmart. That’s government that works for the rich and the powerful.”

“We’re here for government that works for the people,” Warren said to cheers.

No only when it's financially to do so, i posted this a million times we could of automated everything in the 1980s if money was no object
Its always financially prudent to do so. The facts are that automation costs way less than paying people unless they work for $1/hour

You need the capital to do so..

There are no downsides to a minimum wage law. What you perceive as a downside is a knowledge that you must start somewhere and typically thats at the bottom. People that start at the bottom should expect a bottom salary that pays the basic bills. It shouldnt pay for your new Bentley. Hence you shouldnt be making $200 per hour.

What basic bills are that...

Democrat high taxes or republican low taxes?
Food, clothing, education, and shelter

Then you agree the minimum wage should be a states decision and not a national one.

No. I think it should be a national one.
But if you believe the minimum wage should be raised to a level to cover basic needs, and the cost of basic needs varies from state to state, it makes no sense to set a national minimum wage rather than allow the states to each set their own.
It only makes no sense if you have a simple minded view of how the MW should be set for each state. I didnt say MW should be equal across the board. I said the MW for each state should be set at a national level.

So, there d
When the $15 per hour was first suggested McDonalds started putting kiosks in the store. Ordering at the counter won't bring your food any faster. Drive thru customers get first priority, then kiosk orders and finally the cold hamburger order. Then, Walmart and grocery chains started Home Delivery. People who wonder why a big store like Walmart and Target have 18 cash registers have only 2 or 3 open and a dozen self-checkout stations can thank the minimum wage crusaders.

read -->

“Back in the 1960s, a minimum wage job would support a family of three,” Warren said at a campaign event for Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D) in Wisconsin. “It would cover a mortgage, it would cover the utilities and it would still put food on the table.”

“Why did a minimum wage job cover a family of three? Because Congress said a minimum wage should be a wage that a family can live on," Warren continued. "It should give them a chance to get in the middle class. That’s government that works for the people." ...

Today, Warren said, full-time, minimum-wage jobs “will not keep a momma and a baby out of poverty.”

“It will not pay the rent on a two-bedroom apartment,” she added. “It will not permit a family to survive.”

“And what happens down in Washington, where we haven’t raised the minimum wage for years, the question is not what does it take a family of three to survive,” she continued. “The question is what maximizes the profitability of Walmart. That’s government that works for the rich and the powerful.”

No only when it's financially to do so, i posted this a million times we could of automated everything in the 1980s if money was no object
Its always financially prudent to do so. The facts are that automation costs way less than paying people unless they work for $1/hour

Thats why you have share holders.

Then you agree the minimum wage should be a states decision and not a national one.

But if you believe the minimum wage should be raised to a level to cover basic needs, and the cost of basic needs varies from state to state, it makes no sense to set a national minimum wage rather than allow the states to each set their own.
It only makes no sense if you have a simple minded view of how the MW should be set for each state. I didnt say MW should be equal across the board. I said the MW for each state should be set at a national level.

You didn't say that, I said that.

Its not hard to say MW should be $8 in Alabama and $15 in Seattle from a national level.

Right, or peg it to some kind of economic calculation per region involving cost of living or whatever. I agree with you there.

So, there d

read -->

80 % of the companies in the USA are small business 500 employees or less.

Why did you say that? It makes zero sense to pay someone in a low cost area the same as someone in a high cost area.

Wait I misunderstood, so you are saying Washington should decide each states minimum wage?

WTF?

WTF?

So, there d

read -->

80 % of the companies in the USA are small business 500 employees or less.

SmartBiz Loans

Wait I misunderstood, so you are saying Washington should decide each states minimum wage?

WTF?

WTF?

There you go.

Why did you say that? It makes zero sense to pay someone in a low cost area the same as someone in a high cost area.

Why do you want the federal government to decide , can't the states do it themselves, like they have been doing?

Why do you want the federal government to decide , can't the states do it themselves, like they have been doing?

I've already explained this 3 times.

There are no downsides to a minimum wage law. What you perceive as a downside is a knowledge that you must start somewhere and typically thats at the bottom. People that start at the bottom should expect a bottom salary that pays the basic bills. It shouldnt pay for your new Bentley. Hence you shouldnt be making $200 per hour.

I worked two jobs, 90 hours a week, put myself through college, and provided my own food, clothing, and shelter. I would do it all over again.

Now I get you, your spinning it to get the same effect, you don't want jobs leaving to other states

I worked two jobs, 90 hours a week, put myself through college, and provided my own food, clothing, and shelter. I would do it all over again.
Thats amazing olde tymer. Did you walk 30 miles in a snow storm to do it? :rolleyes:

Thats amazing olde tymer. Did you walk 30 miles in the snow to do it?

Im not old. Next. That was 20 years ago.

Now I get you, your spinning it to get the same effect, you don't want jobs leaving to other states

Youre making me tired Bear.

Same question why do you want a national minimum wage?

Forum List

Back