Muslim Who Won’t Sell Pork Loses Dunkin’ Donuts Franchise

The Jewish franchises won't be affected. They are in Jewish neighborhoods where the food line is rejected by the customer base. That's the difference.

You're full of shit, shithead. Under 2% of the population is Jewish. And, only about 15% of Jews follow kosher diets.

DD is practicing anti-Islamic bigotry.

Missed the bolded word, hunh?

No, I didn't miss the bolded word. I just gave you too much credit for being reasonable.

Even if his Jewish customers were 10 times the national average, 97% of his customers would still eat pork. Even if 100% of this customers were Jewish, 85% would still eat pork.

He only likes the Muslims because they hate the Jews.

He thinks he's not transparent. :eusa_shhh:

I feel about Muslims roughly the same as Jews. If I controlled DD, I'd kick out both the Jews and Muslims for refusing to sell pork.

The Jewish franchises won't be affected. They are in Jewish neighborhoods where the food line is rejected by the customer base. That's the difference. The whole franchise store would have to close for lack of business. The muslim owner isn't in a completely muslim neighborhood.

This is a franchise agreement. He didn't buy his store. The franchisor still owns it. He has nothing more than a renewable contract. He has no rights to Dunkin Donuts performance of the contract once it has expired.

Katz if a Jewish store didn't want to sell the products of the franchise, then they should sell become a franchise. They would be just as wrong as the Muslim crybaby. However, it doesn't world like that. In Skokie IL there is a large concentration of religious and non-religious Jews (and ironically Muslims also).

You find D&D there! They serve bacon, sausage and everything D&D serves. Jews buy it without hestitation. If religious Jews want non-pork atmosphere they go to non-franchisee deli/bakery Kaufman's!

This Muslim should open his one "Ali's Bakery - We Serve Zero Pork Daily!"

The Jewish franchises won't be affected. They are in Jewish neighborhoods where the food line is rejected by the customer base. That's the difference. The whole franchise store would have to close for lack of business. The muslim owner isn't in a completely muslim neighborhood.

This is a franchise agreement. He didn't buy his store. The franchisor still owns it. He has nothing more than a renewable contract. He has no rights to Dunkin Donuts performance of the contract once it has expired.

Katz if a Jewish store didn't want to sell the products of the franchise, then they should sell become a franchise. They would be just as wrong as the Muslim crybaby. However, it doesn't world like that. In Skokie IL there is a large concentration of religious and non-religious Jews (and ironically Muslims also).

You find D&D there! They serve bacon, sausage and everything D&D serves. Jews buy it without hestitation. If religious Jews want non-pork atmosphere they go to non-franchisee deli/bakery Kaufman's!

interesting... NY has a lot of kosher Dunkin Donuts. Jews AND Muslims go there b/c people who buy halal are fine with kosher. And such places are NOT in exclusively Jewish neighborhoods. In fact, I can think of one that isn't in a particularly religious area at all and is in close proximity to city projects. go figure.

so i don't know why in that particular place DD would care.

so maybe there are other reasons for him being de-franchised?

or maybe it's simply not true?

given the lying anti-semite who posted it and his "source", i vote the latter.

Last edited:

interesting... NY has a lot of kosher Dunkin Donuts. Jews AND Muslims go there b/c people who buy halal are fine with kosher. And such places are NOT in exclusively Jewish neighborhoods. In fact, I can think of one that isn't in a particularly religious area at all and is in close proximity to city projects. go figure.

I think you are partially right. Originally he lost the suit but it was turned over on appeal. This was back in 2007. As far as anyone knows, that particular DD is still in operation.

If the guy is this adamant about it why not just open his own shop? :dunno:

I was wondering the same thing.

There are plenty of independent donut shops around. Use the intervening time before he loses the franchise to sell it. Take the money and invest it in in his own shop.

There are plenty of independent donut shops around. Use the intervening time before he loses the franchise to sell it. Take the money and invest it in in his own shop.

Yup and that way he can serve whatever he is comfortable with.

If you read the article the Jewish franchise that did not have to comply was ONE located in a Jewish neighborhood. It was not a general franchise rule.

Where the muslim's argument fell apart was he wanted the franchise to accommodate him, and the Jew was accommodating his customer base. I guarantee you that if DD opened a franchise in Saudi Arabia every donut shop would be halal and they wouldn't allow a franchisee to sell bacon sandwiches.

Yup.

As the Seventh Circuit would explain on appeal of the later lawsuit, Dunkin' had no problem with Elkhatib's refusal to sell pork at his first, nor at his his second franchise. For almost 20 years he operated Dunkin' shops without pork and without problems from Dunkin'. Dunkin' even provided signs stating that no meat products were available.

Things changed in 2002 during a meeting about relocating one of his shops, when Elkhatib reiterated to Dunkin' supervisors that he would sell breakfast sandwiches, but not with pork. Little did he know, but that sealed Elkhatib's fate as a Dunkin' franchisee.

Dunkin' refused the relocation and any renewal of his existing franchise agreements for any of his locations. Elkhatib sued. His claim of religious discrimination was thrown out because franchisees are not employees, and therefore do not get federal workplace discrimination protection from their franchisor. His claims of racial discrimination in contracting finally met defeat in March. Now Dunkin' has sued to speed the removal of all signs of Dunkin' Donuts at Mr. Elkhatib's shops.

....​
Dunkin' Donuts Dumps Muslim Franchisee Over Pork; Tips for Considering Franchise Agreements - Free Enterprise

Additionally, according to Dunkin Brands 2010 annual report, donut sales are yielding less profit margins and volumes, with a continuing downward trend, than breakfast sandwiches.

Hmmmm.

That wouldn't force the entire company to change and that's what he wanted.

This is just like the airport cab driver controversy. Muslim cab drivers refused fares with liquor or dogs. They also were unable to take fares during prayer time. Turn down enough fares and the airport will pull the driver's permit. The muslim cab drivers demanded that the airport change its rules to prohibit any driver from taking a fare with liquor or dogs and that all cab functions be prohibited during prayer time.

The airport demanded compliance or the drivers that refused would not get a permit.

Guess where that controversy ended up? Last time I was at the airport there was no shortage of cab drivers.

This is just like the airport cab driver controversy. Muslim cab drivers refused fares with liquor or dogs. They also were unable to take fares during prayer time. Turn down enough fares and the airport will pull the driver's permit. The muslim cab drivers demanded that the airport change its rules to prohibit any driver from taking a fare with liquor or dogs and that all cab functions be prohibited during prayer time.

The airport demanded compliance or the drivers that refused would not get a permit.

Guess where that controversy ended up? Last time I was at the airport there was no shortage of cab drivers.

You can only make demands like that when you have enough numbers, there aren't that many Muslims in this country to be able to pull that off so what the hell are they doing?

When he bought the franchise DD didn't sell pork products.

And for 20 years he has been operating his business without offering bacon or pork sausage products with the blessings of DD corporate office.

Then all at once DD comes along and changes the rules and says that he has to offer pork products.

They're not changing the rules. They made an exception to the rules for him. He's not entitled to that exception.

So Muslims are completely forbidden from selling anything haram, even if its just business?
It is hypocritical and unIslamic to invite people to accept Islam on one hand; and yet sell them something that is harmful with the other hand.

So, his business is 'inviting people to accept Islam'? Really? Damn. Interesting what one learns on the interwebs.

There's no need to bash SM over that rhetoric. Christians use the same sort of language all the time.

You can only make demands like that when you have enough numbers, there aren't that many Muslims in this country to be able to pull that off so what the hell are they doing?
All of this took place at just one airport.

Basically, it was just a small group of Somali refugees who hadn't been in the U.S. very long and didn't know the legal system.

But it gained national attention, and the media as usual, painted all muslims with the same brush.

I think you have a couple of points of embellishment there about the Minnesota airport situation and permits to operate at the airport.

1. There was no demand that all cab drivers be prohibited from taking a fare with alcohol or dogs, they only wanted Muslim drivers to be able to refuse alcohol or dogs - a distinct difference.

2. Secondly there was no attempt to stop any and all fares from being picked up during Muslim prayer time.​

>>>>

All of this took place at just one airport.

Basically, it was just a small group of Somali refugees who hadn't been in the U.S. very long and didn't know the legal system.

But it gained national attention, and the media as usual, painted all muslims with the same brush.

I know that it happened at LAX because I'm closest to there and I know it happened at O'Hare in Chicago.

In Los Angeles the really big fight was not over liquor or dogs, it was over immodest looking women. Too many cab drivers were taking them not to their destinations, but to some bad parts of town and kicking them out of the cab leaving them there.

I personally have never had an issue with cab drivers, muslim or otherwise. The closest I came was when a friend and I made a very poor decision and ended up stranded in Bel Air with no way home. We called a cab and got a muslim driver who yelled at us all the way home for our make up, clothing that exposed way too much skin and threats that we would be raped and murdered if it was not for him. It took 45 very uncomfortable minutes but he got us home. No doubt he felt WE were very fortunate that he showed up instead of someone else. Who knows, he was probably right.

I think you have a couple of points of embellishment there about the Minnesota airport situation and permits to operate at the airport.

1. There was no demand that all cab drivers be prohibited from taking a fare with alcohol or dogs, they only wanted Muslim drivers to be able to refuse alcohol or dogs - a distinct difference.

2. Secondly there was no attempt to stop any and all fares from being picked up during Muslim prayer time.​

>>>>

MINNESOTA! I had no idea that it happened in Minnesota too!

Forum List

Back