Muslim Who Won’t Sell Pork Loses Dunkin’ Donuts Franchise

That wouldn't force the entire company to change and that's what he wanted.

This is just like the airport cab driver controversy. Muslim cab drivers refused fares with liquor or dogs. They also were unable to take fares during prayer time. Turn down enough fares and the airport will pull the driver's permit. The muslim cab drivers demanded that the airport change its rules to prohibit any driver from taking a fare with liquor or dogs and that all cab functions be prohibited during prayer time.

The airport demanded compliance or the drivers that refused would not get a permit.

Guess where that controversy ended up? Last time I was at the airport there was no shortage of cab drivers.

I think you have a couple of points of embellishment there about the Minnesota airport situation and permits to operate at the airport.

1. There was no demand that all cab drivers be prohibited from taking a fare with alcohol or dogs, they only wanted Muslim drivers to be able to refuse alcohol or dogs - a distinct difference.

2. Secondly there was no attempt to stop any and all fares from being picked up during Muslim prayer time.​

>>>>

MINNESOTA! I had no idea that it happened in Minnesota too!

When people make reference to the Muslim Cab driver issue, normally they are referencing that one because of the national media attention it garnered.

Muslim cab drivers lose round in court | Minnesota Public Radio News

>>>>

An Arab-American owner of a Chicago-area Dunkin’ Donuts store has to give up his franchise after he lost his long-running legal battle with the restaurant chain over his religious objections to selling pork products.

The company’s lawsuit came two weeks after a federal jury found that the chain did not discriminate against Elkhatib for refusing to renew his franchise agreement because he declined to sell breakfast sandwiches with bacon, ham or sausage.

The dietary restrictions of Elkhatib’s Muslim faith forbid him from eating or handling pork. When he decided to go into the restaurant business, his faith one of the reasons why he invested in Dunkin’ Donuts in 1979. The chain did not introduce breakfast sandwiches until 1984.

For nearly 20 years, Dunkin’ Donuts accommodated his religious beliefs, even providing him signs for his store that said, “No meat products available,” Elkhatib asserted in court documents. But in 2002, the company reversed course and told him it would not renew his franchise agreement if he did not sell its full line of products.

Elkhatib sued the company but because he is not an employee of Dunkin’ Donuts, he could not sue under federal laws banning religious discrimination in the work place. Instead, he invoked a law that bars racial and certain forms of ancestry discrimination in the making of contracts.

A Chicago federal judge rejected Elkhatib’s claim, finding that it was a religious rather than a racial claim. But in 2007 an appellate court allowed the case to go to trial, finding that Dunkin’ Donuts did not consistently apply its rules on franchise holders. In fact, Elkhatib’s lawyer found a Chicago location that did not sell breakfast sandwiches with pork because many of the customers followed Jewish dietary laws that ban the consumption of pork products.

Elkhatib’s franchise agreement expired in April 2008, but Dunkin’ Donuts allowed him to keep operating the store until the end of the trial.

Muslim Who Won’t Sell Pork Loses Dunkin’ Donuts Franchise | Chill Yo Islam Yo

Though it may not have been that way in '78, breakfast sandwiches are a big reason why people go to Dunkin' Donuts today.

Dunkin' has a brand vision that includes sandwiches/food, and when one store doesn't abide by that vision, it can hurt the image of the overall chain (and potentially begin to impact sales in the long run).

For instance, if a customer goes into the Muslim DD store and is surprised to see that there's no food, there's a chance that he/she might pass up other DD's in the future and opt to go to a McDonald's instead in order to avoid wasting time (on the off chance the alternate DD also doesn't carry food).

I side with Dunkin; they have a right to protect their brand in any way they deem fit.

Also, the guy should just freakin' handle pork - it's not a big deal. Religions can be so strange, nonsensical, and impracticable sometimes.

Last edited:
I think you have a couple of points of embellishment there about the Minnesota airport situation and permits to operate at the airport.

1. There was no demand that all cab drivers be prohibited from taking a fare with alcohol or dogs, they only wanted Muslim drivers to be able to refuse alcohol or dogs - a distinct difference.

2. Secondly there was no attempt to stop any and all fares from being picked up during Muslim prayer time.​

>>>>

When people make reference to the Muslim Cab driver issue, normally they are referencing that one because of the national media attention it garnered.

>>>>

Which was rubbish. Why should Muslims be forced to ferry dogs and alcohol when Christians who work in pharmacies can claim religious objection to avoid filling scripts for birth control?

You can only make demands like that when you have enough numbers, there aren't that many Muslims in this country to be able to pull that off so what the hell are they doing?
All of this took place at just one airport.

Basically, it was just a small group of Somali refugees who hadn't been in the U.S. very long and didn't know the legal system.

But it gained national attention, and the media as usual, painted all muslims with the same brush.

Thats messed up.

Please don't go Ninja on us!!! :eek: :razz: ;)

If the franchisee was Catholic and DD declined to renew his contract because he refused to take down a crucifix he had on the wall behind the counter, I suspect 90+% of tunes played here would change (including midcan's).
I wouldn't.

But, that's a bit different. DD isn't in the crucifix market.

But, if DD did tell a Catholic owner to do that, I would back DD.

Same here. IMO DD retains the right to not renew any franchise contract for any reason it likes, or for no reason at all. That's how freedom and the free market is supposed to work. On the other hand I freely concede that if the circumstance was as I've described I wouldn't be deriving nearly as much glee from the story. :)

That wouldn't force the entire company to change and that's what he wanted.

This is just like the airport cab driver controversy. Muslim cab drivers refused fares with liquor or dogs. They also were unable to take fares during prayer time. Turn down enough fares and the airport will pull the driver's permit. The muslim cab drivers demanded that the airport change its rules to prohibit any driver from taking a fare with liquor or dogs and that all cab functions be prohibited during prayer time.

The airport demanded compliance or the drivers that refused would not get a permit.

Guess where that controversy ended up? Last time I was at the airport there was no shortage of cab drivers.

>>>>

Minnesota has a good sized Somali population.

>>>>

Which was rubbish. Why should Muslims be forced to ferry dogs and alcohol when Christians who work in pharmacies can claim religious objection to avoid filling scripts for birth control?

They shouldn't. Last time I looked, there was no shortage of cabs or drivers. They just should not be able to complain when a non muslim cab driver makes more money than they do.

Just like a Christian pharmacist shouldn't have a thing to say when the CVS down the street gets the birth control business.

>>>>

If you're religious, why take a job that makes you do something that's against your religion or principles?

For instance, as a married man I personally consider it 'wrong' to be a male stripper; therefore, I'm not a male stripper and have found employment elsewhere.

If you can't/won't do a job - don't sign up for it. It's not rocket science.

>>>>

They shouldn't. Last time I looked, there was no shortage of cabs or drivers. They just should not be able to complain when a non muslim cab driver makes more money than they do.

Just like a Christian pharmacist shouldn't have a thing to say when the CVS down the street gets the birth control business.

That's perfectly legit. I would say you shouldn't be in an industry if you can't preform the work, but as long as we're applying a consistent standard, I'm okay with it.

>>>>

If you're religious, why take a job that makes you do something that's against your religion or principles?

For instance, as a married man I personally consider it 'wrong' to be a male stripper; therefore, I'm not a male stripper and have found employment elsewhere.

If you can't/won't do a job - don't sign up for it. It's not rocket science.

That's how I feel, but you have a lot of Christians claiming they shouldn't be forced to perform basic functions of their job when those functions conflict with their religious beliefs.

You can only make demands like that when you have enough numbers, there aren't that many Muslims in this country to be able to pull that off so what the hell are they doing?

Basically, it was just a small group of Somali refugees who hadn't been in the U.S. very long and didn't know the legal system.

But it gained national attention, and the media as usual, painted all muslims with the same brush.

I know that it happened at LAX because I'm closest to there and I know it happened at O'Hare in Chicago.

In Los Angeles the really big fight was not over liquor or dogs, it was over immodest looking women. Too many cab drivers were taking them not to their destinations, but to some bad parts of town and kicking them out of the cab leaving them there.

I personally have never had an issue with cab drivers, muslim or otherwise. The closest I came was when a friend and I made a very poor decision and ended up stranded in Bel Air with no way home. We called a cab and got a muslim driver who yelled at us all the way home for our make up, clothing that exposed way too much skin and threats that we would be raped and murdered if it was not for him. It took 45 very uncomfortable minutes but he got us home. No doubt he felt WE were very fortunate that he showed up instead of someone else. Who knows, he was probably right.

Sounds like an akward cab ride.

The difference is, it might be morally wrong to be a male stripper, but not morally wrong to drive a cab at all. No one had a moral objection to driving a cab, just what kinds of fares to take.

At the airports it caused a problem because it would impede the flow as people bunched up looking for a cab willing to take them. It was crowd control.

>>>>

1. No Muslim is forced to ferry dogs or alcohol. The airport permits are voluntary and the individual applies for one. If they don't want to pick up someone with alcohol or a blind person with a service dog, they don't have to - just don't work the airport.

2. I support the repeal of 95% of the public accommodation laws that government has written that impacts how a private business is required to conduct itself from an employment and an customer service basis. If a pharmacy stocks birth control and the pharmacist refuses to fill the scipt - that an employee relations issue.

>>>>

>>>>

They shouldn't be able to, and should have their license pulled.

I personally have never had an issue with cab drivers, muslim or otherwise. The closest I came was when a friend and I made a very poor decision and ended up stranded in Bel Air with no way home. We called a cab and got a muslim driver who yelled at us all the way home for our make up, clothing that exposed way too much skin and threats that we would be raped and murdered if it was not for him. It took 45 very uncomfortable minutes but he got us home. No doubt he felt WE were very fortunate that he showed up instead of someone else. Who knows, he was probably right.

Total rubbish and unbeleivable...

............. Well without photographic confirmation...

.......................Lots of clev--- Ah --- skin required.

;)

>>>>

I know that it happened at LAX because I'm closest to there and I know it happened at O'Hare in Chicago.

In Los Angeles the really big fight was not over liquor or dogs, it was over immodest looking women. Too many cab drivers were taking them not to their destinations, but to some bad parts of town and kicking them out of the cab leaving them there.

It was awful. But, better than the alternative. We were afraid to say anything because he might have just stopped the cab and told us to get out. Instead we thanked him for his concern and gave him a big tip. Maybe he'll think of the tip next time he has American women in his cab.

It was awful. But, better than the alternative. We were afraid to say anything because he might have just stopped the cab and told us to get out. Instead we thanked him for his concern and gave him a big tip. Maybe he'll think of the tip next time he has American women in his cab.

My best cab drivers are Russians, they don't care who they pick up and are straight to the point, most of the cabbies working the Baltimore airport are Russians or some other Eastern European country. Hell one time me and another guy from the Air Force got a hot looking Ukranian female cab driver to take us to our hotel, he asked to sit up front with her but she said no.

That's how I feel, but you have a lot of Christians claiming they shouldn't be forced to perform basic functions of their job when those functions conflict with their religious beliefs.

You bigoted piece of stupid shit, the GOVERNMENT shouldn't force people to do anything, especially those things that deeply conflict with their philosophical or religious beliefs.

Anyway, dispensing birth control is not a basic function of a pharmacist, as birth control isn't medicine.

And that Indian muslim is a hypocrite and is violating Islam by selling a haram product.

I am sure he thinks it's OK because he is selling it to non muslims. (kufar)

But he is wrong and will pay for it in the after life. :evil:

So Muslims are completely forbidden from selling anything haram, even if its just business?

Weird... they'll happily strap C4 cluttered with ball bearings onto kids and send them into market places filled with other Muslims and then blow those kids to hell... but woe betide them if they sell alcohol or pork.

Terriorist who happen to be muslim do that not true Muslims. Let me fair about that. Having said that companies have a right to control a franchise and if the contract was up and what to sell pork he can do it or find something else to sell. I hate terriorist but admire people for sticking to their believes.

So Muslims are completely forbidden from selling anything haram, even if its just business?

Weird... they'll happily strap C4 cluttered with ball bearings onto kids and send them into market places filled with other Muslims and then blow those kids to hell... but woe betide them if they sell alcohol or pork.

Terriorist who happen to be muslim do that not true Muslims. Let me fair about that. Having said that companies have a right to control a franchise and if the contract was up and what to sell pork he can do it or find something else to sell. I hate terriorist but admire people for sticking to their believes.

As a practicng Muslim he has no choice. He can not even handle pork, If his business began to carry it he would have to quit going to his own business as he could not enter the kitchen area.

But the decision was the right one. It is a contract and has nothing to do with religion. DD has a line of foods and they expect him to provide them if he wants to be in the Franchise.

He had his day in court and lost. The left in this argument have failed to provide any evidence that DD or the Courts are prejudice against Muslims as has Sunni man.

Forum List

Back