DOJ FAILS AGAIN! Clemens cleared of BS Charges

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Wire

Roger Clemens was acquitted Monday on all charges that he obstructed and lied to Congress by denying he used performance-enhancing drugs to extend his long career as one of the greatest and most-decorated pitchers in baseball history.

Fierce on the pitching mound in his playing days, Clemens was quietly emotional after the verdict was announced. "I'm very thankful," he said, choking up as he spoke. "It's been a hard five years," said the pitcher, who was retried after an earlier prosecution ended in a mistrial.

This case was lengthy, but the deliberations were relatively brief. Jurors returned their verdict after less than 10 hours over several days. The outcome ended a 10-week trial that capped the government's investigation of the pitcher known as "The Rocket" for the fastball that he retained into his 40s. He won seven Cy Young Awards, emblematic of the league's best pitcher each year in a 24-year career with the Red Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays and Astros.

The verdict was the latest blow to the government's legal pursuit of athletes accused of illicit drug use.

A seven-year investigation into home run king Barry Bonds yielded a guilty verdict on only one count of obstruction of justice in a San Francisco court last year, with the jury deadlocked on whether Bonds lied to a grand jury when he denied knowingly taking performance-enhancing drugs.

A two-year, multicontinent investigation of cyclist Lance Armstrong was recently closed with no charges brought, though the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency filed formal accusations last week that could strip the seven-time Tour de France winner of his victories in that storied race. Armstrong denies any doping.

In a non-drug-related case, the Clemens outcome also comes on the heels of the Department of Justice's failure to gain a conviction in the high-profile corruption trial of former presidential candidate John Edwards

Prosecution mad politician wannabes are taking people to court over trivial bullshit.

But who gives these men their years of life and stress back? Who compensates them for the huge legal fees?

This smells like tyranny, not justice.

Total dog and pony show.

Though I'm no Clemens fan, and definitely believe that he was on the juice, I'm glad he got off.

Same here.

But outside the framework of his guilt/innocense, WHY IS THE DOJ INVOLVED?

Why is it any business of the feds what some player did years ago to play a freaking KIDS GAME?

Total dog and pony show.

Though I'm no Clemens fan, and definitely believe that he was on the juice, I'm glad he got off.

Same here.

Why is it any business of the feds what some player did years ago to play a freaking KIDS GAME?
Tyrants with too much spare time.

348oawl_jpg.gif

Here is another inexplicable case, though local to Tulsa.

Woman Sues City of Tulsa For Cutting Down Her Edible Garden - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Denise Morrison said she has more than 100 plant varieties in her front and back yards and all of them are edible and have a purpose.

She knows which ones will treat arthritis, which will make your food spicy, which ones keep mosquitoes away and treat bug bites, but she said none of that matter to city inspectors.

Last August, Morrison's front and back yards were filled with flowers in bloom, lemon, stevia, garlic chives, grapes, strawberries, apple mint, spearmint, peppermint, an apple tree, walnut tree, pecan trees and much more.

She got a letter from the city saying there had been a complaint about her yard.

She said she took pictures to meet with city inspectors, but they wouldn't listen, so she invited them to her home so they could point out the problem areas.

"Everything, everything needs to go," Morrison said they told her.

When she heard they wanted to cut it all down, she called police. The officer issued her a citation so it could be worked out in court.

She said she went to court on August 15, and the judge told them to come back in October. But the very next day, men were cutting down most of her plants.

Total dog and pony show.

So you think he took PE drugs and are glad he got off? interesting...

First off it is AGAINST Federal law to charge someone with JUST perjury. Secondly whether he used drugs or not to enhance his game is NOT a federal offense.

Congress had no business being involved in the situation.

Further if you SUPPORT this type of action charge and trial, I MUST assume you will be fine when Holder is brought to trial for contempt of Congress. That is what this is all about by the way.

Total dog and pony show.

Congress certainly had no probable cause to call for the investigation, as use of steroids in baseball wasn't even against the rules.

Would've made more sense to drag Gaylord Perry and Joe Niekro before congress for throwing spitballs, which is against the rules.

Clemens will take a loss in the record books in the next HOF voting, first year he is eligible, he will be in the lower fourth, along with Bonds.

Total dog and pony show.

Congress certainly had no probable cause to call for the investigation, as use of steroids in baseball wasn't even against the rules.

Would've made more sense to drag Gaylord Perry and Joe Niekro before congress for throwing spitballs, which is against the rules.

I was taking the more generic position of whether you agree with drugs in sport.

I was taking the more generic position of whether you agree with drugs in sport.
Personally against.....But if there's no league rule against juicing, then what beef is there?

Example: Jim Thome...Even though people like McGwire, Bonds and numerous pitchers he faced juiced, he stayed clean, did his thing and doesn't bitch about it.

Same as my general attitude in real life: If you want to stuff a coke in your nose and smack in your veins, have at it....You'll likely lose in the end.

I am against taking self-destructive drugs like steroids, but isnt this a matter best left to the sport to fix? Why is it a federal matter? And why is the DOJ wasting so much tax payer money when more important things are on hold?

Think about the timeline. Democrats were elected to the majority in both houses of Congress during Bush's 2nd term and what was the first thing on their agenda? The economy? Fannie Mae? Iraq and Afghanistan? Nope, the first thing democrats went after was....Baseball.

Wire

Roger Clemens was acquitted Monday on all charges that he obstructed and lied to Congress by denying he used performance-enhancing drugs to extend his long career as one of the greatest and most-decorated pitchers in baseball history.

Fierce on the pitching mound in his playing days, Clemens was quietly emotional after the verdict was announced. "I'm very thankful," he said, choking up as he spoke. "It's been a hard five years," said the pitcher, who was retried after an earlier prosecution ended in a mistrial.

This case was lengthy, but the deliberations were relatively brief. Jurors returned their verdict after less than 10 hours over several days. The outcome ended a 10-week trial that capped the government's investigation of the pitcher known as "The Rocket" for the fastball that he retained into his 40s. He won seven Cy Young Awards, emblematic of the league's best pitcher each year in a 24-year career with the Red Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays and Astros.

The verdict was the latest blow to the government's legal pursuit of athletes accused of illicit drug use.

A seven-year investigation into home run king Barry Bonds yielded a guilty verdict on only one count of obstruction of justice in a San Francisco court last year, with the jury deadlocked on whether Bonds lied to a grand jury when he denied knowingly taking performance-enhancing drugs.

A two-year, multicontinent investigation of cyclist Lance Armstrong was recently closed with no charges brought, though the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency filed formal accusations last week that could strip the seven-time Tour de France winner of his victories in that storied race. Armstrong denies any doping.

In a non-drug-related case, the Clemens outcome also comes on the heels of the Department of Justice's failure to gain a conviction in the high-profile corruption trial of former presidential candidate John Edwards

Prosecution mad politician wannabes are taking people to court over trivial bullshit.

But who gives these men their years of life and stress back? Who compensates them for the huge legal fees?

This smells like tyranny, not justice.

But the federal government knows that the majority of Americans are narcotized. So torturing and terrorizing citizens is like stealing candy from a baby.

Total dog and pony show.

Same here.

Because professional baseball gets special exemptions from antitrust law.

Forum List

Back