Muslim prisoners win freedom to pray in groups.

'American Taliban' wins right to group prayer in prison - CNN.com

Up until 2007, the unit of mostly Muslim prisoners in a prison in Indiana were allowed to gather 3 times a day for prayer. Recently, although they are still allowed to gather, and even listen to the Quran, they have been limited to praying once a week, except for Ramadan. A judge ruled that those rules violate their religious freedoms.

He always had the Right to Pray. He won the Right to Pray with Fellow Muslims, in Group Prayer.

Up until 2007, the unit of mostly Muslim prisoners in a prison in Indiana were allowed to gather 3 times a day for prayer. Recently, although they are still allowed to gather, and even listen to the Quran, they have been limited to praying once a week, except for Ramadan. A judge ruled that those rules violate their religious freedoms.

He always had the Right to Pray. He won the Right to Pray with Fellow Muslims, in Group Prayer.

I think the warden was just being difficult with this population.

It is something Christians do each time they gather for church gatherings with the chaplain on their weekly gatherings. That should be granted to all prisoners no matter their faith.

-Jeremiah

Who are Wardens generally not difficult with? ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o]cool hand luke - YouTube[/ame]

It is something Christians do each time they gather for church gatherings with the chaplain on their weekly gatherings. That should be granted to all prisoners no matter their faith.

-Jeremiah

Based on Faith, no argument. Still conditional on behavior or safety.

The clear lesson here is not to allow an American engaged in war against his county on foreign soil to walk off the battle field. They should have killed him where they found him. In my book he gave up all rights as an American when he took up arms against our troops.

Students were better educated when religion was part of the education system. Look at what has happened since.

You have the freedom to send your child to any type of school you want. I went to Catholic school, and if you feel religion needs to be part of your child's education, then that's your right.:)

Did I say a specific religion? The point was when God was in schools, acedemics were achieved. Now we have a failed system. This is not an accidental occurence.

Last edited:

Who are Wardens generally not difficult with? ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o]cool hand luke - YouTube[/ame]

:lol:

However, it is clear there were no security risks or disciplinary problems as he allowed the same prisoners to play board games together.

Students were better educated when religion was part of the education system. Look at what has happened since.

You have the freedom to send your child to any type of school you want. I went to Catholic school, and if you feel religion needs to be part of your child's education, then that's your right.:)

Did I say a specific religion? The point was when God was in schools, acedemics were achieved. Now we have a failed system. This is not an accidental occurence. Pardon my comment, but it appears your moral compass excludes religion in many regards. You seem bitter about your "Catholic" experience. Am I wrong?

You can't say "I want God in public school" but I don't care which. If it doesn't matter then lets just start passing out Quran's to all the 1st graders.

Also, yes, you are completely wrong.

Did I say a specific religion? The point was when God was in schools, acedemics were achieved. Now we have a failed system. This is not an accidental occurence. Pardon my comment, but it appears your moral compass excludes religion in many regards. You seem bitter about your "Catholic" experience. Am I wrong?

You can't say "I want God in public school" but I don't care which. If it doesn't matter then lets just start passing out Quran's to all the 1st graders.

Yes I was wrong. Went back a few posts and got a better picture. Most of us have a religious history in our families. It is simply wrong we must give them up and allow race and other cultures to be given preferential treatment.

I am all for allowing prisoners to practice their religion behind bars; be it muslims, christians, jews, hindus, etc.

Studies have shown that inmates who participate in religious services while incarcerated have a lower recidivism rate than prisoners who don't.

Yes I was wrong. Went back a few posts and got a better picture. Most of us have a religious history in our families. It is simply wrong we must give them up and allow race and other cultures to be given preferential treatment.

You shouldn't give them up, just don't look to public school teachers to be the ones to guide your child.

I am all for allowing prisoners to practice their religion behind bars; be it muslims, christians, jews, hindus, etc.

Studies have shown that inmates who participate in religious services while incarcerated have a lower recidivism rate than prisoners who don't.

Lots of prisoners become religious during prison time and I also know of many in Detroit prisons who convert to Islam eventually. It's an easy way for people to turn theirselves around and it creates hope for some inmates. Religion can be a good thing for some inmates. It could influence them into being productive, etc.

Valedictorians from public high schools who incorporate prayer into their speech are denied. The Muslim convicted felons have more religious freedoms than American public school students.

Incorrect.

You’re confusing Establishment Clause jurisprudence – prohibiting conjoining of church and state such as with school prayer – with that of Free Exercise Clause jurisprudence – where the state may not interfere with religious practice.

Prohibiting religious expression by students giving speeches at school (state) sanction events, such as graduation, in no way interferes with any religious practice. The person giving the speech is free to pray or engage in any other form of religious expression before or after the speech, or speak on matters of faith in any venue – public or private – again, provided such speech is not sanctioned by the state. There is no Judeo-Christian dogma which requires one to mention a deity during a secular speech as a condition of religious devotion, or by failing to do so manifests a violation of a particular religious tenet.

That’s not the case with Islam, where daily prayer is a fundamental tenet of Islamic religious dogma, hence the Free Exercise Clause violation, or in this case the violation of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, intended by Congress to enhance the Free Exercise Clause where appropriate.

Did I say a specific religion? The point was when God was in schools, acedemics were achieved. Now we have a failed system. This is not an accidental occurence.

Start explaining why schools with no religion in other countries have better educations that American children.

How do the prison authorities expect these muslims to plan prison riots if they can't use the praying excuse?

Valedictorians from public high schools who incorporate prayer into their speech are denied. The Muslim convicted felons have more religious freedoms than American public school students.

While I know that many students tend to feel differently, going to school is not a form of incarceration. Schools are government run facilities, and as such they cannot perform the standard and routine functions of schooling in such a way as requires other students to be subjected to religious activity that they may not themselves be in agreement on. The valedictorian is not being infringed upon, because he/she is being asked by the school to participate in a normal school function, that is taking place for the purposes of normal school activities. It is not necessary for the valedictorian to participate. If the school asks him/her to do so then that student is doing so voluntarily, and the school is responsible to ensure that the valedictorian proceeds properly as an extention of the school, and therefore as an extended agent of government.

That is an entirely different scenario from prison inmates, who are forcibly held against their will under the authority of government, 24 hours a day for whatever duration. Inmates are not agents of government in any form whatsoever. They retain the right to free exercise in such manner in peaceable manner. If one group of prisoner's have their freedom to pray together as a group selectively restricted, then there can be no denying that the act of the act of the government is a religiously based act, as prohibted by the constitution.

Actually I think the issue of religious freedom in prison is a tricky one. Being in prison you lose lots of freedoms, and depending on the situation, religion is one of them.

Depriving a select group of religious practices that other inmates of other religious persuasions are granted can never be permissible under the first amendment.

Forum List

Back