Muslim prisoners win freedom to pray in groups.

The clear lesson here is not to allow an American engaged in war against his county on foreign soil to walk off the battle field. They should have killed him where they found him. In my book he gave up all rights as an American when he took up arms against our troops.

What makes you think these were people captured on the battlefield?

You sir are the one who is incorrect.

Students are allowed to meet and organize and pray as long as it truly is student-led and no teachers are involved. Basically, as long as there is no appearance that the school supports or encourages it, it's allowed (neither can the school discourage it).

And a person with government endorsement/support giving a religious speech to a captive audience is not anything similar to a private group conducting private prayers for themselves.

The ruling in Lee v Weisman (1992) was:
The principle that government may accommodate the free exercise of religion does not supersede the fundamental limitations imposed by the Establishment Clause, which guarantees, at a minimum, that a government may not coerce anyone to support or participate in religion or its exercise, or otherwise act in a way which "establishes a [505 U.S. 577, 578] [state] religion or religious faith, or tends to do so."

pinqy, the valevictorian read a prayer at graduation and was originally denied her diploma. About as student led as you're going to get. Obvisously some think there are more restrictions than simply student led huh?

Link?

'American Taliban' wins right to group prayer in prison - CNN.com

Up until 2007, the unit of mostly Muslim prisoners in a prison in Indiana were allowed to gather 3 times a day for prayer. Recently, although they are still allowed to gather, and even listen to the Quran, they have been limited to praying once a week, except for Ramadan. A judge ruled that those rules violate their religious freedoms.

and in my opinion..... fuck um.

ALL prisoners are limited in the time that they may gather.....as well they should be too.

No one is telling them they cant pray 3 times a day. What the DO want is 3 times a day of privacy under the cover of "religion"

I'm shocked that you would think that Sunni, really, shocked.:rolleyes:

Actually I think the issue of religious freedom in prison is a tricky one. Being in prison you lose lots of freedoms, and depending on the situation, religion is one of them.

No, you do not lose your right to practice your faith in prison.

I volunteered in jails and prisons for over a decade. Every faith was allowed to practice. Even Wiccans and a White Supremacist religion were allowed to have services.

I know you don't lose the right to practice your faith. However, you lose your freedom of movement. So, if they had been demanding the guards bring them together 5 times a day to pray, or even 3 times, I could see the judge ruling the other way.

Up until 2007, the unit of mostly Muslim prisoners in a prison in Indiana were allowed to gather 3 times a day for prayer. Recently, although they are still allowed to gather, and even listen to the Quran, they have been limited to praying once a week, except for Ramadan. A judge ruled that those rules violate their religious freedoms.

ALL prisoners are limited in the time that they may gather.....as well they should be too.

No one is telling them they cant pray 3 times a day. What the DO want is 3 times a day of privacy under the cover of "religion"

Where are you getting that?:confused:

family is in law enforcement......

What they want is privacy under the cover of religion... they are not the first group to do this.

What they want is privacy under the cover of religion... they are not the first group to do this.

Except that they never asked for privacy and would not be granted it if they asked.

They are allowed to gather 3 times a day, during these meetings they are allowed to read the Quran, listen to verses on a tv, hang out and play board games. They are prohibited from joining in a group prayer. That's nonsense, and unconstitutional.

Except that they never asked for privacy and would not be granted it if they asked.

They are allowed to gather 3 times a day, during these meetings they are allowed to read the Quran, listen to verses on a tv, hang out and play board games. They are prohibited from joining in a group prayer. That's nonsense, and unconstitutional.

Link?

Because this is from YOUR SOURCE Amy:

By not allowing group prayer, while at the same time allowing other group activities such as board games, the warden was violating the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, Judge Jane Magnus-Stinson found.

Screwed by your own source. Need a cream or something?

Last edited:

something wrong with reading the quarn alone? Praying alone? hang out and play board games...at the same time as everyone else?

its bullshit.... its time alone to do their shit.

Its prison... they should ALL be in solitary lock as far as i am concerned. Part of what they do with all the time they have is to figure out how to best play the system to their best advantage..... this is a classic one.... religious bullshit crap.

something wrong with reading the quarn alone? Praying alone? hang out and play board games...at the same time as everyone else?

its bullshit.... its time alone to do their shit.

Its prison... they should ALL be in solitary lock as far as i am concerned. Part of what they do with all the time they have is to figure out how to best play the system to their best advantage..... this is a classic one.... religious bullshit crap.

Solitary confinement no matter what the crime is? Ooook then.

They are not asking for special treatment.
They are not asking to meet at different times than the rest of the prison population.
They are not asking for privacy.

These are good behavior american prisoners, who are allowed the freedom of movement 3 times a day. They are requesting the right to pray together during their free time.

You are overreacting, and I suspect it's because they are Muslim. If they were Catholics, requesting the right to say the rosary together would you still be this upset?

Link?

Because this is from YOUR SOURCE Amy:

By not allowing group prayer, while at the same time allowing other group activities such as board games, the warden was violating the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, Judge Jane Magnus-Stinson found.

Screwed by your own source. Need a cream or something?

What are you talking about?

Solitary confinement no matter what the crime is? Ooook then.

They are not asking for special treatment.
They are not asking to meet a different times than the rest of the prison population.
They are not asking for privacy.

These are good behavioramerican prisoners, who are allowed the freedom of movement 3 times a day. They are requesting the right to pray together during their free time.

You are overreacting, and I suspect it's because they are Muslim. If they were Catholics, requesting the right to say the rosary together would you still be this upset?

They are asking for special treatment. They aren't doing it in the general population, but a different location (that's privacy). I think YOU are over reacting because they ARE Muslim.

Forum List

Back