Muslim Hatred. Is it healthy for Islam?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Dante, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Is it healthy for Islam to be so full of the kind of hatred we see today? What hatred you ask?

Was it always this way? If it isn't the Jews, it's the Americans or somebody else who's to blame for the plight of people raised in Islamic countries by mostly Islamic leaders. What is wrong with Islam today?
    ---

"How could my people, the Arab and Muslim people, accuse the Jewish people of something we know very well that we did ourselves?"

I do not mean to single out the Arab world for the sickness that I see infecting Islam, but the above is a good example backed up by the words of an Arab Muslim with no axe to grind, but the truth.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Hatred of any form is both healthy and not healthy. It's healthy in that it can protect the fragile minds by making you stay away from what you don't want to learn about, but it is always unhealthy if you act on that hatred towards those you hate.

3. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Hatred is always healthy and unhealthy? Really? Just because it can protect doesn't mean that is what is happening. The kind of hatred I see infecting Islam is NOT healthy in any way shape or form to Islam itself or anyone else. If you disagree I would be highly interested in your view(s).

4. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I hate brussel sprouts, at first my mother tried forcing me to eat them. She just used the same tired line, but I rebelled and said I hated them and there was no way I would ever eat them. She won out, made me eat them. Next thing I was waking in the hospital because they had almost killed me. Hatred is a natural repulsion our minds use to protect us, sometimes from our own insecurities, sometimes from our own stupidity, but it's healthy. However when you attack and destroy or legislate laws based on that hatred it is unhealthy, not to mention pure evil.

5. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Why is anyone surprised? This has been seen for many years by scholars. I can't put my hands on it right now but I remember in my paperback copy of Islam by Alfred Guillaume, in the last couple of chapters reading about his warning about Islam facing a split between conservatism and progressivism. Now although the paperback I've had a while, it was, I think first published in the mid-1950s. That's about the time of Nasser and the Suez Crisis. So, think about the machinations going on in the West at that time and the reaction in the Islamic world. And Mossadeq, earlier, in Iran.

I can't say this for certain but perhaps Guillaume had an inkling about how Islam as a faith and nationalist politics, especially in the face of attempted domination from the west, could be intermingled.

6. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    So you agree or disagree that the hatred I see infecting Islam is unhealthy? Or do you not see the hatred?

Islam is a wonderful religion as far as religions go. It is one of three major branches of monotheism to come out of the old superstitious semitic world.

7. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Nasser? That be pan-Arabism...an all together different fish.

I have heard it explained that Islam has went without an equivalent to the Christian reformation. Are the current Islamic peoples living in a dark ages of a sort? Or is that still yet to come? Is what Christianity went through a window on what Islam needs to go through in order to survive the progress the world is going through as it knocks on the doors of the old nations of Islam?

8. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Honestly, as I said, it depends on if they act in vile manners based on it. One problem with seeing everything as black and white is it creates frustration and anger toward those one does not like, which eventually escalates into violence and other such negative acts. The best way to make people less inclined to take their hatred out in such a manner is tell them "it's okay that you hate it, just avoid it if you do instead of attacking it." Once they understand this then the ones left still acting violently are hating only to justify their violence, so in reality they don't hate, they just want to be violent and use the hatred to mask it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    a rather convoluted explanation, but well run with it.

It depends? So you cannot agree or disagree. Hatred of the kind I see is not healthy no matter if it is acted upon or not. Hatred of this kind infects the minds and hearts. It is poison. Please do not argue that poisons are healthy as they are not even when used as cures or remedies what they do is kill.

methinks you are over thinking. sometimes things are black and white. and this is coming from a man who lives in the world of nuance and shades of gray

10. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    No, nothing is black and white, thinking it is creates the illusion that life is simple and thus many hold to it. No problem is ever easy to solve, especially when dealing with humanity. There are always too many variables and emotions always skew those, even by those on the outside looking in. There is never an easy cure, never a simple solution, and never only two sides to a story.