Mr. Bergdahl Is Neither A Criminal or A Hero!

You know................I find it interesting that quite a few people who are now condemning Obama for his swap to get Bergdahl back were saying just a few months to a year ago that we should explore all options to have him returned to us.

We get Bergdahl back, and then they start saying that we should have never traded to get him back.

Me personally? I'm glad he's back, and I'm glad he's under military jurisdiction again. I'm also glad that he's being investigated and will be standing a fair trial.

One of the things that was taught to us in Navy Rights and Responsibilities course (which we had to attend every 6 months), was that if we were taken by the enemy, we could take comfort in the FACT that the military wasn't going to leave me there, because eventually, they would figure a way to get me back, even if I had done something stupid to get captured. If it was my own fault, I also knew that when I came back (if still alive), I would have to stand trial under the UCMJ to see if there were things I was guilty of, as well as would have to pay the price for my actions if found guilty.

BTW................when someone goes AWOL or deserter, the military DOES NOT try that person in absentia, we wait until they are again under military authority and THEN try them for what they did wrong.

I'm glad he's back, because this country kept its word to get him back, and I'm also glad he's back under military authority to stand trial for his actions.

I'll reserve judgment on him until after the military determines what happened, but even if he is found guilty of desertion, I'm still glad that he's back, because now he can pay for his actions.

add eight more dead to that list

plus 22 wounded

The Battle of Kamdesh, one of the most deadly military engagements during the U.S. war in Afghanistan, turned especially bloody – leaving eight Americans dead and 22 wounded – because troops and aircraft normally tasked to support U.S. fighting men and woman were diverted to search for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

Hunt for Bowe Bergdahl left 8 US troops dead and 22 wounded | Mail Online

Who the fuck cares? He didn't make them sign up for war. No. They did that shit willingly. Now their fucking dead. It ain't his fault.

Hillary, is that you?
I'm sure the parents and wives care.

the compassion and humanity of these far right Americans are appalling

we can wait for the military investigation to conclude and move on to the next step

Not mention how some already know all the facts before am investigation.

Oh yeah, it's Obama so they don't need facts.

Once this has been investigated 10 or 12 times, the facts won't matter. Millions will be spent to blame the president for every aspect of the case.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Well Obama did trade 5, count 'em 5, higher up's in the Taliban for one soldier, and as much as I love our military men and women, this was not a smart move, EVEN if it turns out he did not desert.

The allegation is that soldiers were killed in the search for this deserter.

He has to answer for those deaths.

If a drunk driver loses a leg in an accident where someone else is killed, you wouldn't say "oh well...he's suffered enough for his poor judgement...no need to investigate the criminality...would you?

an allegation is only an allegation until proven.

and given the lies told repeatedly by extremists with an obama deranged agenda, i figure we should wait til we start tearing our underwear over this one.

Indeed, what is the big hurry? A full investigation needs to take place. It goes against the very standards of justice in America to definitively conclude this man is a traitor, a deserter, and is responsible for the deaths of other soldiers before there has been an investigation, which leads to a trial, and he is convicted.

None of those things have happened. It is interesting that those who are so steadfast in clinging to the flag and to intrinsic American values are the first to hang this guy without any investigation or trial. Lynch mob mentality.

Again, the big hurry is to get the conservative lie machine up and running in a timely manner to turn this into a ‘negative’ for Obama; the partisan right is determined to not let this become a foreign policy victory for the administration as was the case with OBL.

Oh I love it, it's always the fault of the right. I guess the right was able to fabricate all those reports years ago when this guy first disappeared. They fabricated his letter saying he was against the war. They got soldiers to lie about what he said before he disappeared. All so later on it could be used against Obama, because the right can see into the future and knew he would be returned alive and not end up beheaded.

Seriously, you lefties need to pull your heads out of your asses and come up for some air once in a while. Your brains sure could use the oxygen.

and ignore 8oo years of common law (read my sig line) and the due process clauses in the Constitution? All we're saying is what's the hurry. If he's guilty I'll be the first in line to say throw him in the brig and throw away the key. We're a long way from that. And I haven't heard anybody saying anything was fabricated.

The OP is half right Bowe Bergdahl is not a hero if he is a deserter or traitor is still to be determined actions have consequences when you leave your body armor and weapons behind and walk off your base the possible consequence of that action is being taken prisoner.Being taken prisoner does negate the fact that at best he went AWOL and worst he deserted he has to explain why he did what he did the fact he was held prisoner by the Taliban does not give him a free pass here. If he has a explanation that satisfies the military fine let home go home and live his life if not let him stand trial and face the consequences.

Looks like the guy lost his shit and deserted for some pipe dream to backpack to India. He wouldn't be the first soldier to have a breakdown in a very stressful atmosphere. It's too bad he wasn't given help before he deserted.

It is true that Bergdahl is not a hero, however the right is making a mistake going after Bergdah the way they are. I feel for the guy and hope he finds peace.

Jake, by the time the court martial is over, Bergdahl will be the one begging for compassion.
I cant wait for the worlds spotlight to be turned on to the court martial,it should create a marvellous platform for a debate about the legality of the war.
I think you should ditch the Gung-ho attitude and hope there is no CM.

There is no debate about the legality of the war.

SG/ SM/ 7985 AFG/149 8 October 2001

"TO DEFEAT TERRORISM, WE NEED A SUSTAINED EFFORT AND BROAD STRATEGY THAT UNITE ALL NATIONS", SAYS SECRETARY-GENERAL

Following is the text of a statement made today by Secretary ? General Kofi Annan on military strikes in Afghanistan:

Immediately after the 11 September attacks on the United States, the Security Council expressed its determination to combat, by all means, threats to international peace and security caused by terrorist acts.

The Council also reaffirmed the inherent right of individual or collective self-defence in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations. The States concerned have set their current military action in Afghanistan in that context.

To defeat terrorism, we need a sustained effort and a broad strategy to unite all nations, and address all aspects of the scourge we face. The cause must be pursued by all the States of the world, working together and using many different means including political, legal, diplomatic and financial means.

The people of Afghanistan, who cannot be held responsible for the acts of the Taliban regime, are now in desperate need of aid. The United Nations has long played a vital role in providing humanitarian assistance to them, and it is my hope that we will be able to step up our humanitarian work as soon as possible.

UN and the war in Afghanistan

Back in 2009 Sarah Palin was lifting prayers for this soldier. If he had been considered a deserter then, I wonder if Palin and her followers would have gone against the Obama Administration for even suggesting this soldier was a deserter, and perhaps even suggested an impeachment. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

“Todd and I are praying for Private First Class Bowe Bergdahl, his family, and all of his fellow soldiers who are putting their lives on the line to defend our freedom and protect democracy abroad.

The Sarah Palin Blog: Sarah Palin asks for Prayers for Captured Soldier

I'm not sure who has a shorter life expectancy at this point, really:

Bergdahl, or Edward Snowden?

I'm not the type to wish evil on anyone—not even a scumbag who's harmed helpless animals or children; not even a deserter whose actions in combat appear to have been tergiversatingly responsible for having gotten some of his brothers in arms killed—but I certainly wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to hear two or three months from now that Bergdahl has been murdered.

He has a target on his head right now that's bigger than the broad side of a barn.

He has to tell his side of the story on 60 Minutes as soon as he can, because it just might save his life — in America, ironically enough.

no-man-left-behind-danziger_zps42a54658.gif

we can wait for the military investigation to conclude and move on to the next step

By and large these `far right Americans` have been far nicer to the deserter and his Muslim sympathizer family than the loving and tolerant and kind liberals ever were to Governor Palin and her family.

There will be no investigation as long as Obama is commander-in-chief of the military.

I highly doubt anything bad will happen like that to him.

Are you talking to me in this post here — #51 in the thread, and just one post after mine, #50, in which I said:

shart_attack said:
I'm not sure who has a shorter life expectancy at this point, really:

Bergdahl, or Edward Snowden?

I'm not the type to wish evil on anyone—not even a scumbag who's harmed helpless animals or children; not even a deserter whose actions in combat appear to have been tergiversatingly responsible for having gotten some of his brothers in arms killed—but I certainly wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to hear two or three months from now that Bergdahl has been murdered.

He has a target on his head right now that's bigger than the broad side of a barn.

He has to tell his side of the story on 60 Minutes as soon as he can, because it just might save his life — in America, ironically enough.

Because, umm, if you are in fact talking to my prior post in saying that you doubt anything bad will happen to Mr. Bergdahl the Deserter who got poor little American boys who, unlike him, did in fact to the contrary love their country so much so that they died for it, and died for an ingrate like Mr. Bergdahl, then you obviously have never lost a family member to war — let alone to a wrongful death caused by the cowardly actions of a soulless deserter adjacent him or her in the trenches of that war.

Survivors may forgive. But they do not forget.

The allegation is that soldiers were killed in the search for this deserter.

He has to answer for those deaths.

If a drunk driver loses a leg in an accident where someone else is killed, you wouldn't say "oh well...he's suffered enough for his poor judgement...no need to investigate the criminality...would you?

Read carefully what you posted. So you are ready to do the lynch mob thing on the young man without even a trial? Simply because you think it will make the black man in the white house look bad? Think carefully of what you are stating. I don't think you really mean to be that bad.

By and large these `far right Americans` have been far nicer to the deserter and his Muslim sympathizer family than the loving and tolerant and kind liberals ever were to Governor Palin and her family.

There will be no investigation as long as Obama is commander-in-chief of the military.

Caribou Barbie asked for what she got just by being her stupid self. She wanted a trial in the court of public opinion, she got one, she lost.

OTOH, this guy hasn't really been tried yet...

Forum List

Back