Mr. Bergdahl Is Neither A Criminal or A Hero!

JimofPennsylvan

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2007
It is pretty shameful the behavior of a lot of the public on the matter of the release of the American POW Bowe Bergdahl. Where is the compassion and humanity of these Americans it is really missing in their calls for an investigation on whether Mr. Bergdahl was a deserter in Afghanistan and their calls for criminal prosecution of him. Even if he did desert in Afghanistan in what he went through as a POW he paid for this wrongdoing multiple times over. He was held by an as bad as they come Islamist extremist group, the taliban haqqani network he was a sole POW for five years with no other American soldier to help provide spiritual support for him to get through the ordeal and the guy probably had a nervous breakdown because apparently he forgot how to speak english; Mr. Bergdahl will certainly carry significant mental if not psychological damage for the balance of his life because of his POW experience. It is sickening to talk about prosecuting this guy for desertion.

I don't doubt that at least six U.S. soldiers died trying to rescue Mr. Bergdahl because Taliban militants were able to prepare deadly traps for U.S troops and U.S. troops had to forego caution to try to find Mr. Bergdahl in a timely manner and this was all because of Mr. Bergdahly own wrongdoing of at minimum deliberately and of his own free will leaving his base camp in violation of orders. But how many U.S. soldiers have died because of the wrongdoing of other U.S. soldiers often U.S. officers through America's history. The great General Patton sent a group of U.S troops to rescue his son-in-law who was held as a POW in World War II and they never succeeded incurring a great many causalities and it is commonly believed that was a a completely wrong thing to do it was not justified militarily. During the Korean War when the Chinese troops suddenly came into the War US commanders in that theater new this was a threat and wrongfully did not prepare even in some cases when the chinese troops were advancing on U.S. positions U.S. officers did not react resulting in the death and capture of many U.S. soldiers.

It is also out of line to condemn the White House for a prisoner swap to bring about the release of Mr. Bergdahl. President Obama is right on this issue prisoner swaps are commonly done at the end of wars, pursuant to our agreements with the Afghanistan government this year is Americans last year as a party in the Afghanistan war. Although the official record might not state this but back in the 1990's when the U.S. pilot Michael Durant was taken as a POW in Somalia around the time of his release many of the Warlord Aidid's allies taken prisoners by U.S. troops were release which in all fairness was a prisoner swap. The critics here have raised an important tangential issue which the country should address and make official policy stances on for future U.S. military engagements. The U.S. policy should be that when U.S. soldiers are deployed in a combat zone if a soldier or soldiers disobey orders and as a result is taken prisoner or is lost or unaccounted for such soldiers will receive less of a standard of care for search and rescue missions for such a soldier normal and standard military precautions will not be set aside fairness to the other soldiers necessitates this policy.

Bowe Bergdahl is neither a criminal or a hero. America should move on and take the spot light off this young man let Mr. Bergdahl try to put his life back together. The Philadelphia Inquirer recently had a quote which sums up how all good Americans should think on this issue. it was quote by Ralph Kramer, the director of the Boise Valley POW MIA support organization and it was said in response to a question about what he thought about all the controversy swirling about in regards to Mr. Bergdahl. Mr. Kramer said "We're happy he's home" and I think a fully complete response would add: We wish Bowe Bergdahl all the best with the rest of your life, end of story!

The allegation is that soldiers were killed in the search for this deserter.

He has to answer for those deaths.

If a drunk driver loses a leg in an accident where someone else is killed, you wouldn't say "oh well...he's suffered enough for his poor judgement...no need to investigate the criminality...would you?

You do know that, under federal law, if he is convicted of being AWOL he is, by definition, a criminal.

Seriously, how on earth did you manage that? The guy's a criminal.

13363-EPIC_FAIL-Seriously_how_the_fuck_did_you_manage_that.jpg

the compassion and humanity of these far right Americans are appalling

we can wait for the military investigation to conclude and move on to the next step

Jake, by the time the court martial is over, Bergdahl will be the one begging for compassion.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

Sorry to see you stumbling over your sword in a rush to judgment.

I advise you firmly to allow the UCMJ to run its course.

Although prisoner swaps are done at the conclusion of wars, this war is not over by a long shot.

the compassion and humanity of these far right Americans are appalling

we can wait for the military investigation to conclude and move on to the next step

And then there are those of us who are centered and think clearly enough to realize that OJ and Robert Blake are guilty. Some things are obvious. Like your partisanship causing you to be dishonest in your assessment of this episode.

Jake, by the time the court martial is over, Bergdahl will be the one begging for compassion.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

Sorry to see you stumbling over your sword in a rush to judgment.

I advise you firmly to allow the UCMJ to run its course.

Sorry to see you in a state of denial. Notice the part in my post where I said "by the time the court martial is over." No? Okay, try reading the post again.

I advise you 'firmly' to consider reality before making any subsequent posts on this matter.

Last edited:
I love how when a left winger thinks someone should be left LONE IT IS "INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY" NO MATTER THE EVIDENCE OR FACTS, But let a target of their wrath be accused of something and not only are they guilty as sun but they should be strung up from the nearest tree.

As I recall Zimmerman comes to mind.

The man deserted and got others killed trying to find him. This is a fact as evidenced by the letter he left and his repeated announcements he was going to take off for India. And then we traded 5 known terrorists for his sorry ass.

Endangering EVERY single Military person and US civilian in Afghanistan and around the world. We just proved under this President we WILL in fact deal with terrorists all they need do is have a live American as a hostage and we will cave.

I love how when a left winger thinks someone should be left LONE IT IS "INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY" NO MATTER THE EVIDENCE OR FACTS, But let a target of their wrath be accused of something and not only are they guilty as sun but they should be strung up from the nearest tree.

The man deserted and got others killed trying to find him. This is a fact as evidenced by the letter he left and his repeated announcements he was going to take off for India. And then we traded 5 known terrorists for his sorry ass.

Endangering EVERY single Military person and US civilian in Afghanistan and around the world. We just proved under this President we WILL in fact deal with terrorists all they need do is have a live American as a hostage and we will cave.

We don't know any facts yet.....

"Overall, Bergdahl's critics have attributed about eight fatalities to operations directly related to him but, the Times notes, "Pentagon officials say those charges are unsubstantiated and are not supported by a review of a database of casualties in the Afghan war." At the very least, the situation seems to have been more complicated than the troops' emotionally charged accounts suggest:"

What's the big hurry to hang this guy. Rightwingers get all weepy about the second amendment but when it comes to due process-fuck it. Hear say evidence in the court of public opinion is leading to a lynch mob mentality. Emotion is killing reason in the right wing ditto chorus.

I cant wait for the worlds spotlight to be turned on to the court martial,it should create a marvellous platform for a debate about the legality of the war.
I think you should ditch the Gung-ho attitude and hope there is no CM.

The allegation is that soldiers were killed in the search for this deserter.

He has to answer for those deaths.

If a drunk driver loses a leg in an accident where someone else is killed, you wouldn't say "oh well...he's suffered enough for his poor judgement...no need to investigate the criminality...would you?

add eight more dead to that list

plus 22 wounded

The Battle of Kamdesh, one of the most deadly military engagements during the U.S. war in Afghanistan, turned especially bloody – leaving eight Americans dead and 22 wounded – because troops and aircraft normally tasked to support U.S. fighting men and woman were diverted to search for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

Hunt for Bowe Bergdahl left 8 US troops dead and 22 wounded | Mail Online

I cant wait for the worlds spotlight to be turned on to the court martial,it should create a marvellous platform for a debate about the legality of the war.

Why?

There is already a file on him. He has already been investigated. The moment "deserter" and "collaborator" came out of the CIA's collective mouths, the road to a Court Martial was paved.

And what attitudes I have or choose to have are not up to you. Do not think you can sit here and boss me around, pal. I'll neg you in a heartbeat.

Why?

There is already a file on him. He has already been investigated. The moment "deserter" and "collaborator" came out of the CIA's collective mouths, the road to a Court Martial was paved.

And what attitudes I have or choose to have are not up to you. Do not think you can sit here and boss me around, pal. I'll neg you in a heartbeat.

Oh no! You'll neg him! Not that!!!!!!

Tool.

We don't know any facts yet.....

"Overall, Bergdahl's critics have attributed about eight fatalities to operations directly related to him but, the Times notes, "Pentagon officials say those charges are unsubstantiated and are not supported by a review of a database of casualties in the Afghan war." At the very least, the situation seems to have been more complicated than the troops' emotionally charged accounts suggest:"

What's the big hurry to hang this guy. Rightwingers get all weepy about the second amendment but when it comes to due process-fuck it. Hear say evidence in the court of public opinion is leading to a lynch mob mentality. Emotion is killing reason in the right wing ditto chorus.

Indeed, what is the big hurry? A full investigation needs to take place. It goes against the very standards of justice in America to definitively conclude this man is a traitor, a deserter, and is responsible for the deaths of other soldiers before there has been an investigation, which leads to a trial, and he is convicted.

None of those things have happened. It is interesting that those who are so steadfast in clinging to the flag and to intrinsic American values are the first to hang this guy without any investigation or trial. Lynch mob mentality.

Why?

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

It is pretty shameful the behavior of a lot of the public on the matter of the release of the American POW Bowe Bergdahl. Where is the compassion and humanity of these Americans it is really missing in their calls for an investigation on whether Mr. Bergdahl was a deserter in Afghanistan and their calls for criminal prosecution of him. Even if he did desert in Afghanistan in what he went through as a POW he paid for this wrongdoing multiple times over. He was held by an as bad as they come Islamist extremist group, the taliban haqqani network he was a sole POW for five years with no other American soldier to help provide spiritual support for him to get through the ordeal and the guy probably had a nervous breakdown because apparently he forgot how to speak english; Mr. Bergdahl will certainly carry significant mental if not psychological damage for the balance of his life because of his POW experience. It is sickening to talk about prosecuting this guy for desertion.

I don't doubt that at least six U.S. soldiers died trying to rescue Mr. Bergdahl because Taliban militants were able to prepare deadly traps for U.S troops and U.S. troops had to forego caution to try to find Mr. Bergdahl in a timely manner and this was all because of Mr. Bergdahly own wrongdoing of at minimum deliberately and of his own free will leaving his base camp in violation of orders. But how many U.S. soldiers have died because of the wrongdoing of other U.S. soldiers often U.S. officers through America's history. The great General Patton sent a group of U.S troops to rescue his son-in-law who was held as a POW in World War II and they never succeeded incurring a great many causalities and it is commonly believed that was a a completely wrong thing to do it was not justified militarily. During the Korean War when the Chinese troops suddenly came into the War US commanders in that theater new this was a threat and wrongfully did not prepare even in some cases when the chinese troops were advancing on U.S. positions U.S. officers did not react resulting in the death and capture of many U.S. soldiers.

It is also out of line to condemn the White House for a prisoner swap to bring about the release of Mr. Bergdahl. President Obama is right on this issue prisoner swaps are commonly done at the end of wars, pursuant to our agreements with the Afghanistan government this year is Americans last year as a party in the Afghanistan war. Although the official record might not state this but back in the 1990's when the U.S. pilot Michael Durant was taken as a POW in Somalia around the time of his release many of the Warlord Aidid's allies taken prisoners by U.S. troops were release which in all fairness was a prisoner swap. The critics here have raised an important tangential issue which the country should address and make official policy stances on for future U.S. military engagements. The U.S. policy should be that when U.S. soldiers are deployed in a combat zone if a soldier or soldiers disobey orders and as a result is taken prisoner or is lost or unaccounted for such soldiers will receive less of a standard of care for search and rescue missions for such a soldier normal and standard military precautions will not be set aside fairness to the other soldiers necessitates this policy.

Bowe Bergdahl is neither a criminal or a hero. America should move on and take the spot light off this young man let Mr. Bergdahl try to put his life back together. The Philadelphia Inquirer recently had a quote which sums up how all good Americans should think on this issue. it was quote by Ralph Kramer, the director of the Boise Valley POW MIA support organization and it was said in response to a question about what he thought about all the controversy swirling about in regards to Mr. Bergdahl. Mr. Kramer said "We're happy he's home" and I think a fully complete response would add: We wish Bowe Bergdahl all the best with the rest of your life, end of story!

It’s all partisan, having nothing to do with the facts or merits of the case.

For most on the right, consequently, they had to quickly contrive lies and misinformation about the event to take control of the narrative in an effort to mitigate any positive effect they perceive might benefit the president, rather than waiting for an investigation to be conducted and the facts realized – by then it would be ‘too late’ from a partisan standpoint.

Forum List

Back