McKinsey Under Criminal Investigation Over Opioid-Related Consulting

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
In all the hubbub over the current opioid crisis, it is important to remember this scourge was created and fostered right here in the USA by Americans against Americans.

McKinsey Under Criminal Investigation Over Opioid-Related Consulting

The Justice Department is conducting a criminal investigation into consulting firm McKinsey related to its past role in advising some of the nation’s largest opioid manufacturers on how to boost sales.

Federal prosecutors are also probing whether McKinsey or any of its employees may have obstructed justice in relation to records of its consulting services for opioid producers, according to people familiar with the investigation, which has been ongoing for several years.

[snip]

In 2021, McKinsey reached a settlement with all 50 states, five U.S. territories, and Washington, D.C., to pay $642 million to resolve civil opioid-related litigation against the firm, without admitting wrongdoing. The firm in 2023 reached separate deals totaling $347 million with Native American tribes, public school districts, insurance companies and municipal governments, also without admitting wrongdoing.

I'm so sick and tired of "without admitting wrongdoing" which allows corporate organized criminals to get off without doing hard time, or execution.

McKinsey’s former clients Purdue, Endo, and Mallinckrodt filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy while facing mass lawsuits alleging they sold drugs through misleading marketing practices and fueled addiction. McKinsey helped Purdue, the closely held maker of the painkiller OxyContin, develop an initiative to boost drug sales and marketing, according to records released after Purdue went bankrupt in 2019.

McKinsey consultants advised the company on how to increase sales of its flagship drug, including suggesting that Purdue’s sales team make more calls to healthcare providers it knew wrote high volumes of OxyContin prescriptions and spend less time on doctors who prescribed the opioid medication the least, the records showed.

In August 2013, consultants from the firm sent a memo to Purdue executives with 20 recommendations they said would boost sales of OxyContin by more than $100 million annually. McKinsey advised Purdue that there was “significant opportunity” to shift sales calls to the highest volume prescribers, who as a group wrote 25 times as many OxyContin prescriptions on average than their peers, according to the memo, included in unsealed court records.

My boss at the time pushed the full Board to accept Mckinsey on a special project as Market Forecasters and for a consumer market point entry plan .
Ultra smart and sophisticated . But intuitively I did not trust them .
They proved to be super clever sales people but without depth .
Somehow their attitude toward business was selfish and uni dimensional .
So I was and remain prejudiced against them .
Just saying .

My boss at the time pushed the Board to accept Mckinsey on a special project as Market Forecasters and for a consumer market point entry plan .
Ultra smart and sophisticated . But intuitively I did not trust them .
They proved to be super clever sales people but without depth .
Somehow their attitude toward business was selfish and uni dimensional .
So I was and am prejudiced against them .
I just can't grasp the mindset which pushes for a plan of action they know will lead to a lot of deaths just to make more money.

Forum List

Back