Movin' on Up

It's easier when you can fob off all your defense needs on the U.S. and then villainize us for taking care of business, isn't it?

rtwngAvngr said:
It's easier when you can fob off all your defense needs on the U.S. and then villainize us for taking care of business, isn't it?

Awww... don't be so bitter! Cheer up ol' bugger. Put it this way, it's one less border you need to defend! :D

rtwngAvngr said:

For an 'evil liberal' country, we sure are doing alright! Lets get back our number 1 rank!

Said1 said:
Geez, tough crowd. :death:

I don't mean to be tough, but honestly I have great concern with the capacity of Canadians to defend my country's northern border. Frankly, I don't think you canucks give a f___ about us. Not because you don't care, but because you simply do not understand the gravity of the situation. I truly believe you live in some sort of mythical fantasy land.

I apologize if that's offensive, but it seems to be the truth.

Zhukov said:
I don't mean to be tough, but honestly I have great concern with the capacity of Canadians to defend my country's northern border. Frankly, I don't think you canucks give a f___ about us. Not because you don't care, but because you simply do not understand the gravity of the situation. I truly believe you live in some sort of mythical fantasy land.

I apologize if that's offensive, but it seems to be the truth.

To be ho honest, you don't defend anything, and either do I. that's the job of other people. You on the other hand, shoot your mouth off a people you don't know, and seem to have very little respect for. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Isaac Brock said:
Insert "Movin' on up" theme song from The Jefferson's.

Right on! Go Canada!

You know Isabel Sanford died last weekend, right? She was 87. Anyways, that was a good show, The Jeffersons.

Regarding this ranking, I wonder where the US falls out of 177 countries.

A Liberal government will increasingly focus Canada's international efforts on helping countries to secure the peace and then build the institutions of modern government that they need to provide stability and the means to a decent life for their citizens.

To play this role, Canada will need a military that is modern, well-trained and properly equipped. The Liberal government has already bolstered the Canadian Forces by:

Committing to the purchase of important new equipment, including state-of the-art armoured vehicles for the Army, search and rescue aircraft and helicopter replacement for the Air Force and supply ships for the Navy.

Increasing the budget for National Defence to $13.7 billion in 2004 from $10.2 billion in 1999, a 30% rise.

Improving pay and benefits for members of the Forces, and exempting them from paying income tax on money earned while serving on high-risk international missions.
These initiatives are important steps toward a revived and robust military. But more must be done.

Increase the Canadian Forces by 5,000 personnel, creating a new brigade and greatly enhancing Canada's capacity for peace support. This will boost significantly our ability to participate in multilateral operations that are consistent with our interests and values. It will enable our military to assume a bigger role in bringing peace, security and democracy to troubled nations.

A Liberal government will increase the Army Reserves to 18,500 from 15,500. Canada's Reserves are a vitally important complement to the regular forces and thus contribute to our Peace and Nation-Building initiative. They are also a multi-talented resource in communities across Canada where Reserve units are located. Increasing the Reserves will give Canada badly needed new capacity to respond to domestic crises, including natural disasters and chemical, biological and nuclear emergencies. The new Reserves will also reduce stress on the Canadian Forces and their families as a result of frequent deployments of our troops overseas.

New investments detailed in the policy will address the need for enhanced tools and capacities across the Government of Canada in order to fulfill its security responsibilities and activities. Key new measures include:

enhancing intelligence capabilities ($137 million);

securing critical government information systems ($85 million);

fully implementing the RCMP Real Time Identification Project and improving the national fingerprint system ($99.78 million); and,

implementing the Passport Security Strategy, including facial recognition biometric technology on the Canadian Passport, in-line with international standards ($10.31 million).
The policy also outlines new structures and strategies which will enable the Government of Canada to better anticipate and effectively manage complex threats:

the creation of the Integrated Threat Assessment Centre ($30 million) and Government Operations Centre ($14.95 million) to improve the sharing and dissemination of threat information and better coordinate responses;

the creation of Health Emergency Response Teams made up of health professionals from across the country, increasing Canada's ability to respond to health emergencies;

strengthening marine security, including measures to improve coordination, enhance capacity and develop greater marine security co-operation with the United States ($308 million);

the development of a Critical Infrastructure Protection Strategy for Canada - with the provinces, territories and the private sector - beginning with the release of a position paper this summer setting out key elements; and

the convening of a high-level national Cyber-security Task Force with public and private representation to develop a National Cyber-Security Strategy ($5 million).

Since you seem to be so concerned. These are some initiatives the Prime Minister has taken and will be taking. (the decimated military was an election issue. But don't expect us to build up a superpower)

P.S. The U.S. scored 8th overall.

Here's the Top Ten List

1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Australia
4. Canada
5. Netherlands
6. Belgium
7. Iceland
8. United States
9. Japan
10. Ireland

http://www.news.gc.ca/cfmx/CCP/view/en/index.cfm?articleid=83719&keyword=security
http://www.liberal.ca/
http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/default.asp

nycflasher said:
You know Isabel Sanford died last weekend, right? She was 87. Anyways, that was a good show, The Jeffersons.

Regarding this ranking, I wonder where the US falls out of 177 countries.
She died this weekend? How sad, I remember watching the re-runs when I was younger.

She died July 9th. It was definitely reruns I caught, too, as I was born around the time they stopped filming it. Did you know that she played the same character in 4 shows?

Isabel was discovered by Norman Lear, creator of All in the Family and The Jeffersons.
-----------
On her Star of the Hollywood Walk of Fame, she said "Here with stars in my eyes - something that I dreamed about when I was 9 years old. There are others that deserve it, but let everybody get their own."

"If there's anything in life you consider worthwhile achieving -- go for it. I was told many times to forget show business, I had nothing going for me. But I pursued it, anyway. Voila!"

Forum List

Back