Movie attendance continues its decline

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
Have you noticed that the attendance at Hollywood movies is down for about the 14th straight week?

Plus, "The Passion of Christ" now has grossed well over a half billion dollars ($499B in the US, $200M+ in rentals)

Networks are struggling to get ratings....

OK... I'll admit that it may be a stretch, but is it possible that in addition to the effects of technology (i.e. DVD players, HDTV, surround sound home movie theaters) that people just are sick and tired of the crap that Hollywood pumps out and in addition fed up with the anti-American rants from the Hollywood Left? Perhaps people want something different?

Considering I haven't really seen anything original from Hollywood in forever that could be a reason. I mean look at what the book movies this summer will be: Star wars, Batman begins, Fantastic Four, etc. Good movies but they are hardly original. those three will be big because they have a major fan base already. as for any other movies, nothing looks original. I mean we have bewitched, the longest yard, honeymooners, all remarks with their own little twists. nothing really original. Heck they are coming out with a movie about penguins finding mates. We aren't talking block buster there.

Add to that the fact that they are making movie theatres so dang expensive. Who wants to pay 8-9 dollars for a lame movie?

The fact is Hollywood is the one industry that does not work in supply and demand. If it did there would be more pg, or g movies, and more musicals and religious based movies. I think people are just getting tired of what Hollywood is putting out. And I think supply and demand is starting to catch up with them.

My husband ansd son love to go to the movies,but I prefer to stay home and rent it when it comes out on DVD. It is getting harder to be able to go with the prices though. By the time you pay for drinks and popcorn and all that good stuff,you spend waaaay too much. I did go to see The Passion of the Christ at the theater and I think that was the last one I went too. When we rent,I do however avoid movies with some of the "mouthier" members of Hollywood.

you guys pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
there is nothing but crap on the big screens now says. and paying way too much for it on top of it all. around here a family of 4 going to a movie is something to the effect of (approx) 50.00. 30ish for tickets and another 20ish for popcorn and such. its no wonder people sneak their own stuff in to the movies.

hell Jess and myself wanted to go to the movies over the weekend. you'd figure with 2 big theaters within 30 minutes or so from each other there would be something decent to watch, but hell no.

It takes an extraordinary movie event (i.e. Passion, Star Wars, LOTR) to get me to the theaters. Otherwise, it's $4 at Blockbuster to watch it at home with cheap snacks, vs. $24 to take me, the wife, and the daughter to watch it with $5 popcorn buckets. No contest!

Sounds like you guys have it cheap.. $8.75 per ticket, $2.75 for a small soda, and $3.50 for a junior popcorn. That's $15 a person.

Go into my basement, and it's $3.15, and my screen is just as big as theirs. :)

jess's parents gave us some free passes for christmas, only used 2 of them so far...lol

and now, since i get free cable, with all the premiums and VOD, and half price PPV, along with internet... its kind of a no brainer.
granted they play alot of older movies, but still. i watched willie wonka last night, always a classic.

I honestly can't tell you when I was last in a theater...
For me it's $$$, Convenience & comfort..I love VHS and DVDs.

Cheap from Blockbuster
I can watch it whenever I want
No previews I HAVE to watch
Pause when I want
Replay if I want
Have my own snacks when I want without missing a thing
No screaming loud kids or cell phones
No lines to wait in
No crowds
I can take my shoes off
I can Go pee when I need to and not miss anything
And when my daughter was younger, I could screen a movie cheap, before she saw it.

Honestly, I don't understand why they keep building new Multi-plex theaters.
The funny thing is, they always seem to be busy....go figure.

I'm with Mr. P

For me, it's not so much about the prices as it is being stuck inside a dark room w/ a bunch of folks you don't know who all seem to commit the following movie-going horrors:

- Crying kids (Duh, stop taking your kids to rated R Films)
- People around you who can't shut-up
- People around you chomping on popcorn, chips and other loud snacks
- That annoying-as-hell candy wrapper crinkle sound that seems to penetrate the entire theater with unwanted sound effects each time someone reaches their hand inside to grab another bite
- It's hard to always get good seats
- My home theater system sounds better than most Theaters I've been to

It used to be that cell phones going off were annoying...but at least the person hurriedly attempted to get his phone out and turn it off before he got pelted with popcorn....now the freaks actually answer their phones and hold complete conversations!

Another factor

Before the advent of VCRs (at least VCRs that were cheap enough for the masses) movies had to succeed in movie theaters or they would not succeed at all. Therefore, the general quality of scripts and movies had to be good.

That all changed with VCRs and DVDs. Whether a movie does or doesn't do well in theaters no longer is a determining factor as to whether the movie succeeds. Studios count on rentals and purchases of the DVD in order to recoup their investments. As a result, more movies are being made and are of lower quality over all.

I believe that is why you don't see movies like "Gone with the Wind", "The Wizard of Oz" and "Wuthering Heights" made in the same decade much less the same year. It just doesn't make economic sense to make really good movies any longer......

Gem said:
It used to be that cell phones going off were annoying...but at least the person hurriedly attempted to get his phone out and turn it off before he got pelted with popcorn....now the freaks actually answer their phones and hold complete conversations!

I actually have removed the phone from somebody's hand in a moment of (shameful) anger, walked with the phone outside the theater, then handed it back to the following "patron" and informed him that this was the place to speak on the phone, and reminded him that shutting the damned thing off was what he should do while in the theater....

I don't know if this plays into it much,but we have digital cable too,and it's excellent. We have two channels where the On Demand movies are free,and we also have a choice of several others on other channels that we can pay 3.95 for and have 24 hours to watch them. It's a lot easier than going to the vidoe store!!

KarlMarx said:
Another factor

Before the advent of VCRs (at least VCRs that were cheap enough for the masses) movies had to succeed in movie theaters or they would not succeed at all. Therefore, the general quality of scripts and movies had to be good.

That all changed with VCRs and DVDs. Whether a movie does or doesn't do well in theaters no longer is a determining factor as to whether the movie succeeds. Studios count on rentals and purchases of the DVD in order to recoup their investments. As a result, more movies are being made and are of lower quality over all.

I believe that is why you don't see movies like "Gone with the Wind", "The Wizard of Oz" and "Wuthering Heights" made in the same decade much less the same year. It just doesn't make economic sense to make really good movies any longer......
Add this Karl...I think the crap movies are because the industry is following the money
and the money is in the teenage movie consumers hand these days. Just a thought.

KarlMarx said:
Have you noticed that the attendance at Hollywood movies is down for about the 14th straight week?

Plus, "The Passion of Christ" now has grossed well over a half billion dollars ($499B in the US, $200M+ in rentals)

Networks are struggling to get ratings....

OK... I'll admit that it may be a stretch, but is it possible that in addition to the effects of technology (i.e. DVD players, HDTV, surround sound home movie theaters) that people just are sick and tired of the crap that Hollywood pumps out and in addition fed up with the anti-American rants from the Hollywood Left? Perhaps people want something different?

That may not be such a stretch. I love movies, but I can barely stomach to watch any now starring actors I can't stand. That coupled with how most people are more turned off to flakiness and non stories geared towards empty headed teenage boobs???? Just a thought?

Bonnie said:
That may not be such a stretch. I love movies, but I can barely stomach to watch any now starring actors I can't stand. That coupled with how most people are more turned off to flakiness and non stories geared towards empty headed teenage boobs???? Just a thought?
it never ceases to amaze me that every movie with a younger female in the lead has to be a nice looking, thin, big tata's. cant go to the movies and see a ugly pig staring now. maybe they should make a real life movie. not everyone is good looking, like me :teeth:

Johnney said:
it never ceases to amaze me that every movie with a younger female in the lead has to be a nice looking, thin, big tata's. cant go to the movies and see a ugly pig staring now. maybe they should make a real life movie. not everyone is good looking, like me :teeth:
Well then, you never saw "Babe"..
What a great movie, with a pig too! :)

I still boycott movies with specific actors. You know, those people that said that if GW got reelected they would move. If they actually did what they promised I might watch their movies.

I vote against those actors with my dollars. They may want to rethink entering the public stage as political spokesmen, they might be turning off half of their audience.

I haven't been to a theatre in ages. I just wait for the DVD. That way if I gotta piss or something I can just stop the movie, do my business and then begin it where I left. Theatres are a hassle, they are expensive and not at all worth the $$.

I too boycott certain actors. I will not for the life of me see anything with Baldwin in it.

Forum List

Back