'American Sniper' becomes highest grossing war movie of all time

If youre g
the film is about the effects of war .
it is not a good guys vs bad guys popcorn movie.

You mean the film ends by shooting all of Congress who sent US-fascist-militarists to kill their favorite dictator in Iraq and ended up killing millions of innocent Iraqis?
If youre going to inflate the numbers that much, why not just say "BILLIONS of iraqis were killed"? How about TRILLIONS! Yes TRILLIONS were killed!

I still say the guys kicking in doors and live fire fights are much more heroic then sniping. The movie sucked. Nothing great about it. it's just the typical war culture propaganda show.

I still say the guys kicking in doors and live fire fights are much more heroic then sniping. The movie sucked. Nothing great about it. it's just the typical war culture propaganda show.
The movie was great, what would a cowardly libtard know?

Last edited:
The movie was great, what would a cowardly libtard?
can't finish your sentence?
you, like all dumbshits fail to realize no matter who great you think a movie is ,it's still just a movie...

you, like all dumbshits fail to realize no matter who great you think a movie is ,it's still just a movie...
Can't use the correct word? Like all cowardly libtards you are wrong about Chris Kyle. But what libtards say about Kyle means nothing considering libtards are stupid.

Can't use the correct word? Like all cowardly libtards you are wrong about Chris Kyle. But what libtards say about Kyle means nothing considering libtards are stupid.
OK DUMB SHIT what word is not correct?
and try to make sense this time...
I 've said nothing false about Chris Kyle.
you on the other hand like lots of ignorant assholes have fantasized him into a god...

you on the other hand like lots of ignorant assholes have fantasized him into a god...
How great not who great. Dumbshit. Like idiots like you have fantasized obuttholes into a god. Kyle would be a much better president than the idiot in office now.

Since Kyle is dead I doubt you have any idea what he would have thought of the movie.

Eastwood made the movie so anyone with half a brain knows its a good moneymaker of a movie.
the film is about the effects of war .
it is not a good guys vs bad guys popcorn movie.

You mean the film ends by shooting all of Congress who sent US-fascist-militarists to kill their favorite dictator in Iraq and ended up killing millions of innocent Iraqis?

Another load of horseshit brought to you by an idiot.

If your going to throw stones about dead civilians why don't you take on WWII? Millions of civilians died there as well. Civilians have died in every war ever fought and will continue to die in every war in the future. Grow a brain you idiot.

Oh wait. I forgot. Bush wasn't POTUS during WWII, FDR was. He's was a Dem. Never mind.

As for Kyle? No one know what he would have said about the movie and since he's dead anyone can say anthing about what they THINK he would think of the movie.

Eastwood made the movie so anyone with half a brain knows its a good one and a moneymaker.

Oh and the OP is about a movie. Not the Iraq war or Bush. Deflection anyone??
Eastwood....isn`t he the guy who lost a debate with an empty chair?
No, he just tried in a elementary way to show you what kind of a man you voted for. I can see it went over your head.

How great not who great. Dumbshit. Like idiots like you have fantasized obuttholes into a god. Kyle would be a much better president than the idiot in office now.
yep. everybody should be president. don't you think?

I thought it was a pretty great film. In fact, I even thought it was more nuanced than the extreme reactions we've seen upon its release.

Some folks think the movie plays as jingoistic propaganda. There goes Clint Eastwood tooting the "American Exceptionalism" horn.

Other, less discernible folks assume it is the portrait of American heroes who risk their lives to defend our freedoms.

Of course, the movie is neither of those things. It goes beyond such easy black & white thinking and actually reveals many uncomfortable truths about war in general. Like how disconnected the planners of a war are to those who are paid to follow their orders. We see how war affects an average American family. We see what it means to the morale of our troops when they must return numerous times to a combat zone that appears to have no end in sight. We feel the toll that takes on them with an underlying narrative throughout about PTSD.

Some say the movie should have made a point to inform its audience that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. I'm glad the movie didn't have any other point of view besides the singular perspective of the doers in wartime, not the thinkers. It isn't Chris Kyle's job to think about the mission or to reflect on how it's going. The most painful truth of the movie can be felt in the tragic arc of Kyle's character. Remember the great flashback scene at the beginning of the movie which takes us to Kyle's family dinner table as a youngster? It is made clear to him and his brother by their hard but not unloving father that bullies will not be tolerated in his household. Dad has basically just learned that the kids were involved in a playground fight at school. In a very plainspoken analogy that speaks to rather traditional American values, their father explains that there are sheep, wolves and sheepdogs, and he won't have any of the first two.

The tragedy of the Kyle character is that we see a sheepdog stripped of his values and turned into a wolf due to the nature of war. It is a transformation he himself is not even aware of, like in a fleeting moment with a pair of men he serves with who insist a man he shot had been holding the Koran, not a weapon. It is seen in the face of his wife, who understands that something is amiss in her husband. It is seen in the climactic war sequence where Kyle ignores what's best for all his brothers in arms, putting them in dire peril in order to take a shot at his Iraqi counterpart some 2000 yards away. Kyle never admits it out loud in the movie, but he did in his book when he revealed that it basically worked best to see ALL Iraqis as enemies, particularly all adult men. Easier to rationalize the killing that way, I spose, but it reveals something fundamentally flawed in the training he's received from his superiors.

For those who haven't seen it yet, I won't spoil the ending by telling you what happened but I can say how I felt about it, which was profound sadness mixed with a little fury. Seems the same leaders who can always find the money to send our people of valor to war are always the hypocrites who fail to address our troops' needs when they come home.

I thought about what then Senator Obama said at the 2004 convention: "When we send our young men and women into harm's way, we have a solemn obligation not to fudge the numbers or shade the truth about why they are going, to care for their families while they're gone, to tend to the soldiers upon their return, and to never, ever go to war without enough troops to win the war, secure the peace and earn the respect of the world."

The tragedy at the heart of "American Sniper" is what happens when we don't follow those wise words. Our brave men and women lay it all on the line without question or complaint. They assume a righteousness in their mission. This movie offers that portrait, plain and simple, and sees the enormous toll it takes particularly when they don't feel in their bones that they're winning. They fulfill a patriotic duty by signing up and wilfully going into harm's way. We owe them the patriotic duty of thinking long and hard about how best to utilize them and that if we need to utilize them, that they are put in situations conducive to success.

Terribly sad movie, but totally invigorating. I hardly got to any of my popcorn, I was that transfixed early on.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back