More terrible news for Tesla

In 1930, Alexander Winton, by then one of the legends of the auto industry, wrote this article for the Post about the wild early days when even promoting the idea of a self-propelling machine would make you the object of ridicule.

Things are very different today. But in the ’90s, even though I had a successful bicycle business, and was building my first car in the privacy of the cellar in my home, I began to be pointed out as “the fool who is fiddling with a buggy that will run without being hitched to a horse.” My banker called on me to say: “Winton, I am disappointed in you.”
That riled me, but I held my temper as I asked, “What’s the matter with you?” He bellowed: “There’s nothing the matter with me. It’s you! You’re crazy if you think this fool contraption you’ve been wasting your time on will ever displace the horse.”

That first car worked pretty well, but I saw so many things wrong with it that I started another, using part of my bicycle factory for the work. I foresaw a future in automobiles and tried to interest some people in starting a manufacturing plant. Failing in that, I decided to go on a long trip, hoping attention would be attracted to the machine.

In July 1897, I confided in a friend: “I am going to drive my horseless carriage from Cleveland to New York. I am inviting you to come with me.”

He laughed at me. I sought another friend.

I remember that back in 1899 a bus line was announced to operate between Chicago and St. Louis. All of us believed bus lines would come some day, but we knew the public was not ready to accept such a dream. And, indeed, E.P. Ingersoll, a reporter on automobile topics, wrote the following widely circulated opinion piece: “The notion that electric vehicles, or vehicles of any other kind, will be able to compete with railroad trains for long-distance traffic is visionary to the point of lunacy. The fool who hatched out this latest motor canard was conscience-stricken enough to add that the whole matter was still in an exceedingly hazy state. But,if it ever emerges from the nebulous state,it will be in a world where natural laws are all turned topsy-turvy, and time and space are no more. Were it not for the surprising persistence of this delusion, the yarn would not be worthy of notice.”

Get A Horse! America’s Skepticism Toward the First Automobiles | The Saturday Evening Post

I haven't heard about painting their streets white, but using lighter colored asphalt has long been a safety feature used all across the country. Lighter color gives better reflection from headlights making night driving much safer. Are you against safer night driving?

Uhh....painting the streets white isn’t about safety stupid. It’s a lame effort to curb global warming. Why won’t liberals do a google search before posting? Is it because they like looking foolishly uninformed?

Are you saying more reflective road surfaces aren't safer at night? You should let road departments all across the country know that. They have used several different methods to do that since the mid 20th century.

The white paint is done to make the streets more purdy and clean looking!:113:

Lol....who can even have a conversation with these mental cases?:springbed::th_smileysw2wqa::springbed:

I haven't heard about painting their streets white, but using lighter colored asphalt has long been a safety feature used all across the country. Lighter color gives better reflection from headlights making night driving much safer. Are you against safer night driving?

Uhh....painting the streets white isn’t about safety stupid. It’s a lame effort to curb global warming. Why won’t liberals do a google search before posting? Is it because they like looking foolishly uninformed?

Are you saying more reflective road surfaces aren't safer at night? You should let road departments all across the country know that. They have used several different methods to do that since the mid 20th century.

The white paint is done to make the streets more purdy and clean looking!:113:

Lol....who can even have a conversation with these mental cases?:springbed::th_smileysw2wqa::springbed:

You don't know much about anything, do you?

Of course, we'll never know how many lives are saved by self-drive cars that never drive drunk, or tired.

I wonder how long it took for cars to replace horses after they were first introduced to the market.

It took less than 20 years. Electric cars have been around for just as long as ICE powered vehicles so your analogy is one of the biggest fails of all time.

I wonder how long it took for cars to replace horses after they were first introduced to the market.

It took less than 20 years. Electric cars have been around for just as long as ICE powered vehicles so your analogy is one of the biggest fails of all time.

Yes, electric cars were first built a long time ago, but they never had the billions of dollars of infrastructure that our government paid for through grants to oil companies. They didn't have the billions of dollars of research that internal combustion engines have had either. The failure wasn't in the analogy. It was in your grasp of the facts.

Yes, electric cars were first built a long time ago, but they never had the billions of dollars of infrastructure that our government paid for through grants to oil companies. They didn't have the billions of dollars of research that internal combustion engines have had either. The failure wasn't in the analogy. It was in your grasp of the facts.

Lol.... sure sounds like the lament of someone who is losing. All you hyper-progressives... the level of bitterness always shines clearly through. They know electric vehicles are a joke and the sales #s numbers bear that out. Not quite catching on as fast as you America-haters would like!!:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::hello77:. Actually, not catching on at all!:hyper:

Agency: Electric cars not catching on with U.S. buying public

@www.whosnotwinning.com

Ford, Dodge and Chrysler didn't have all that government money in the early days either. From History,

Automobile History

Last edited:

No, I am not saying that, and that is why I didn’t post it. I’m saying that safety is not the reason they are painting streets. You’re especially slow lately....even for you.

I have been all over northwest, NEVER see asphalt based roads being painted or made white in production. The Asphalt roads are always BLACK.

Meanwhile some research are showing that it is a NEGATIVE benefit since the production of "white paint" is energy intensive and costly.

Phys.org,

May 18, 2017

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Not all cool pavements are created equal

EXCERPT:

"Cool pavements can help keep cities cool, right? Yes, but according to new research from the Department of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab), many reflective pavements have some unexpected drawbacks relative to conventional pavements when considering the entire life cycle of the materials.

Scientists in Berkeley Lab's Heat Island Group, in collaboration with the UC Pavement Research Center (UCPRC), the University of Southern California (USC), and thinkstep Inc., conducted life cycle assessments of conventional and cool pavements. Looking at the technologies over a span of 50 years, including manufacture, installation, use, and disposal/recycling, they found that the extra energy and emissions embodied in cool pavement materials usually exceed the expected energy and emissions savings from reduced space conditioning (cooling and heating) in buildings."
Painting the roads isn't about fighting climate change.
It's about cooling the urban environment to make it more comfortable to live.

According to who?

Los Angeles is painting some of its streets white and the reasons why are pretty cool
In the race to combat climate change, the city of Los Angeles is employing a surprising new tactic -- covering its streets in a grayish-white coating known as CoolSeal. It's sprayed onto the roadway with trucks, then spread across the surface with squeegees.

Ford, Dodge and Chrysler didn't have all that government money in the early days either. From History,

Automobile History

Without hard surface roads and pipelines to distribute gas across the country, cars would have never been able to compete with horses. The US government paid billions in late 19th and early 20th century dollars to make all that happen. That would have been hundreds of billions in today's money.

No, I am not saying that, and that is why I didn’t post it. I’m saying that safety is not the reason they are painting streets. You’re especially slow lately....even for you.

Perhaps safety isn't the only reason, but it is a benificial result of more reflective road surfaces. It has long been known that cities are always hotter than the surrounding green areas because of thermal mass. Roads are a large part of that thermal mass.

Automobile History

Without hard surface roads and pipelines to distribute gas across the country, cars would have never been able to compete with horses. The US government paid billions in late 19th and early 20th century dollars to make all that happen. That would have been hundreds of billions in today's money.

Yes as per CONGRESSIONAL action using taxpayers money.

Nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps safety isn't the only reason, but it is a benificial result of more reflective road surfaces. It has long been known that cities are always hotter than the surrounding green areas because of thermal mass. Roads are a large part of that thermal mass.

Holy Fuck....we have meatheads like this sitting in state legislatures making decisions on fiscal matters.

Why are so few streets painted white in America? Because there are only a handful of districts where you can get away with approving appropriations for white paint for streets....the nutter districts.:bye1::funnyface::funnyface:

75% of Americans hear about stuff like this and split their sides laughing@:hello77:

Forum List

Back