More Deadly Pollution From BP

And yet, they received $308m in stimulus funding from the Obama Administration. Effectively, the taxpayer is paying for the clean up - just like Obama promised they would not. Color me shocked.

thank your politicians, on both sides, that sold away property rights and let big companies do anything as long as they pay off the right people. BP would have been out of business and its employees & execs in jail already if we had politicians and laws that were made for citizens instead of businesses

thank your politicians, on both sides, that sold away property rights and let big companies do anything as long as they pay off the right people. BP would have been out of business and its employees & execs in jail already if we had politicians and laws that were made for citizens instead of businesses

If Bush had given BP $308m in stimulus, you'd be baying like a fucking wolf for his blood. But, because it's Obama.... all of a sudden it's 'both side'.... fuck you, blu. This Administration owe this one.

And... in order to put anyone in jail.... we're supposed to try and convict them in a court of law.... not the fucking media.... moron.

If Bush had given BP $308m in stimulus, you'd be baying like a fucking wolf for his blood. But, because it's Obama.... all of a sudden it's 'both side'.... fuck you, blu. This Administration owe this one.

And... in order to put anyone in jail.... we're supposed to try and convict them in a court of law.... not the fucking media.... moron.

what? the worst of the laws giving oil companies exemptions from environmental regulations were written by the oil companies themselves during the bush administration.

also, the people would still go to trial, but during that time they would sit in jail without bail and when they were found guilty they would be given the maximum sentence

You'd think BP could afford something a little more high-tech than an old Chevy pickup truck.
(Photo from the linked story)

oliver-bernstein-sierra-club.jpg

• Banned
Long-term health effects of exposure to benzene

The major effect of benzene from long-term exposure is on the blood. (Long-term exposure means exposure of a year or more.) Benzene causes harmful effects on the bone marrow and can cause a decrease in red blood cells, leading to anemia. It can also cause excessive bleeding and can affect the immune system, increasing the chance for infection.

Some women who breathed high levels of benzene for many months had irregular menstrual periods and a decrease in the size of their ovaries. It is not known whether benzene exposure affects the developing fetus in pregnant women or fertility in men.

Animal studies have shown low birth weights, delayed bone formation, and bone marrow damage when pregnant animals breathed benzene.

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has determined that benzene causes cancer in humans. Long-term exposure to high levels of benzene in the air can cause leukemia, cancer of the blood-forming organs.

CDC | Facts About Benzene

Sadly, if it were radioactive waste, people could buy geiger counters and determine for themselves where it is, etc. Dead is dead, Allie. If it were YOUR kids who risked this poison, would you be so quick to dismiss the danger?

I believe it would help, Allie. It would chill recklessness in other companies, and it would cheer my ass up. Millions of others too, I suspect.

Most people appreciate justice.

what? the worst of the laws giving oil companies exemptions from environmental regulations were written by the oil companies themselves during the bush administration.

also, the people would still go to trial, but during that time they would sit in jail without bail and when they were found guilty they would be given the maximum sentence

So you would deny them their rights and protections under the Bill of Rights? Another anti American.

The oil tainted materials going into this landfill pose no more of a danger than the household chemicals that the article states are permitted for disposal. The story is typical enviro-crock.

BTW that photo I posted from the story has no relevence whatsoever. Why the author chose it is beyond me.

I was being trite (but thanks anyway, Mads :D)

BP oil continues to pollute on land : The Thin Green Line

I feel so angry. WHY isn't BP required to dispose of this waste safely?

By "dispose of safely".....what do you mean?

Even at environmentally compliant landfills, oil spill waste could leach through the landfill liners and into groundwater or mix with the household chemicals already permitted at the sites with unpredictable effects. Environmental justice is also an issue: the communities near the landfills in question are disproportionately poor and black.

Apparently there is NO WHERE on land where the oil spill waste could be placed.

Should it be burned?

What about poor black communities down-wind?

It seems there's only one rational solution: A space-craft designed to carry more than 50,000 tons to the sun.

Perhaps a special Act of Congress to Stimulate the economy using another $1 T the USA doesn't have could be granted towards this important program.

It seems there's only one rational solution: A space-craft designed to carry more than 50,000 tons to the sun.

Good idea. Send it back to where it originated.

The payload capacity of the space shuttle is 25 tons......in a mere 2,000 missions, we could have all 50,000 tons sent to the sun.

$414 million - NASA's average cost/flight, assuming planned flight
rates are met and using current fiscal year data only.

So for $828,000,000,000......about what we've spent on the "stimulous" we could seal the deal.

However, I'm not sure there are no poor black folks living near the sun.

By "dispose of safely".....what do you mean?

Even at environmentally compliant landfills, oil spill waste could leach through the landfill liners and into groundwater or mix with the household chemicals already permitted at the sites with unpredictable effects. Environmental justice is also an issue: the communities near the landfills in question are disproportionately poor and black.

Should it be burned?

What about poor black communities down-wind?

Perhaps a special Act of Congress to Stimulate the economy using another $1 T the USA doesn't have could be granted towards this important program.

I don't know. I'm sad and pissed off.....telling me it's hopeless ain't cheering me up none, yanno.

None of that changes the Obama money given to BP.

I'm not playing Devil's advocate, but.

I have experience with hazardous waste disposal. The article left out many facts I would like to know before making any assumptions. There were no specific levels of any of the contaminants mentioned, not even when the previously cited landfill was discussed. Plenty of hazardous waste is safely disposed of in landfills or abated by bio-remediation. The key information is the amount of contaminant present in the waste.

And, while it's true that hazardous waste disposal facilities are located predominantly in poor or minority areas, landfill operations are among the most closely scrutinized operations in the country. I've had projects dealing with hazardous waste disposal (everything from asbestos containing building materials to PCB contaminated soils) and I usually ran into more stringent oversight at the disposal phase rather than the abatement phase.

It would be helpful to see the chains of custody and the environmental monitoring results and methodology to know precisely what we're dealing with.

Forum List

Back