More Deadly Pollution From BP

The oil tainted materials going into this landfill pose no more of a danger than the household chemicals that the article states are permitted for disposal. The story is typical enviro-crock.

BTW that photo I posted from the story has no relevence whatsoever. Why the author chose it is beyond me.

I was being trite (but thanks anyway, Mads :D)
You have no clue how contaminated this material is. You have no clue which household chemicals can be fairly compared to the risk of BTEX carbon chains. And you make an ass of yourself with the assumption the story is "typical enviro-crock" without some pertinent information. What are the levels of BTEX present? What is the permeability rate of the landfill liner? What is the methodology for monitoring ground water and leachate? What the hell is Nosmo talking about? He sounds as if this might just be his professional milieu.

The oil tainted materials going into this landfill pose no more of a danger than the household chemicals that the article states are permitted for disposal. The story is typical enviro-crock.

BTW that photo I posted from the story has no relevence whatsoever. Why the author chose it is beyond me.

You have no clue how contaminated this material is. You have no clue which household chemicals can be fairly compared to the risk of BTEX carbon chains. And you make an ass of yourself with the assumption the story is "typical enviro-crock" without some pertinent information. What are the levels of BTEX present? What is the permeability rate of the landfill liner? What is the methodology for monitoring ground water and leachate? What the hell is Nosmo talking about? He sounds as if this might just be his professional milieu.

Yes the story does lack much pertinent information. And that's why it merits my enviro-crock seal of disapproval.

I may be an ass, but at least I'm not a professional ass. :D

Yes the story does lack much pertinent information. And that's why it merits my enviro-crock seal of disapproval.

I may be an ass, but at least I'm not a professional ass. :D
Without the information, no responsible opinion can be made, let alone a condemnation as "enviro-crock".

and, you're right. By making such assumptions, you are an ass without professional standing. But don't despair, you show great promise.

BP oil continues to pollute on land : The Thin Green Line

I feel so angry. WHY isn't BP required to dispose of this waste safely?
I'm not playing Devil's advocate, but.

I have experience with hazardous waste disposal. The article left out many facts I would like to know before making any assumptions. There were no specific levels of any of the contaminants mentioned, not even when the previously cited landfill was discussed. Plenty of hazardous waste is safely disposed of in landfills or abated by bio-remediation. The key information is the amount of contaminant present in the waste.

And, while it's true that hazardous waste disposal facilities are located predominantly in poor or minority areas, landfill operations are among the most closely scrutinized operations in the country. I've had projects dealing with hazardous waste disposal (everything from asbestos containing building materials to PCB contaminated soils) and I usually ran into more stringent oversight at the disposal phase rather than the abatement phase.

It would be helpful to see the chains of custody and the environmental monitoring results and methodology to know precisely what we're dealing with.

All of this is true, Nosmo King. But I suspect such requirements will be waived for BP, as everyone in government seems so anxious to "get all this behind us". If that were not true, they would have stopped BP from using dispersants....not to mention, forced compliance on the oil rig before it blew. My confidence in government as to protecting the Gulf is at zero.

thank your politicians, on both sides, that sold away property rights and let big companies do anything as long as they pay off the right people. BP would have been out of business and its employees & execs in jail already if we had politicians and laws that were made for citizens instead of businesses

If Bush had given BP $308m in stimulus, you'd be baying like a fucking wolf for his blood. But, because it's Obama.... all of a sudden it's 'both side'.... fuck you, blu. This Administration owe this one.

And... in order to put anyone in jail.... we're supposed to try and convict them in a court of law.... not the fucking media.... moron.

what? the worst of the laws giving oil companies exemptions from environmental regulations were written by the oil companies themselves during the bush administration.

also, the people would still go to trial, but during that time they would sit in jail without bail and when they were found guilty they would be given the maximum sentence

It's always soooooo easy to judge the actions of others - particularly when the media totally ignores any fact that makes the Obama Administration look bad. Unfortunately, for this Administration, the facts are still facts - whether the media choose to run with them or not.

It will never come to court.... because our Politicians have too much to lose. You're a media fed fool.

Whatever may have happened before Obama was elected, the lion's share of the guilt for the disaster is squarely on HIS shoulders. Too bad he couldn't get as pissed off at BP as he now is at "Republicans who are treating him like a dog".

Whatever may have happened before Obama was elected, the lion's share of the guilt for the disaster is squarely on HIS shoulders. Too bad he couldn't get as pissed off at BP as he now is at "Republicans who are treating him like a dog".

Maddie, his Administration have dirty hands in this mess. Congress have dirty hands in this.... both before and after he was elected. That is why you will never see anyone - from BP or anywhere else - in court.

And.... just because the media say it's all BPs fault does not make it true. If Americans could be a little more rational and act a little less like hysterical 2 year olds, they might actually find out what really happened.

By "dispose of safely".....what do you mean?

Even at environmentally compliant landfills, oil spill waste could leach through the landfill liners and into groundwater or mix with the household chemicals already permitted at the sites with unpredictable effects. Environmental justice is also an issue: the communities near the landfills in question are disproportionately poor and black.

Apparently there is NO WHERE on land where the oil spill waste could be placed.

Should it be burned?

What about poor black communities down-wind?

It seems there's only one rational solution: A space-craft designed to carry more than 50,000 tons to the sun.

Perhaps a special Act of Congress to Stimulate the economy using another $1 T the USA doesn't have could be granted towards this important program.

I don't know. I'm sad and pissed off.....telling me it's hopeless ain't cheering me up none, yanno.
It's do-able but those who own The Masters won't stand for it.
Costa Rican Astronaut Uses Trash to Create Energy | Costa Rica Travel News

I have experience with hazardous waste disposal. The article left out many facts I would like to know before making any assumptions. There were no specific levels of any of the contaminants mentioned, not even when the previously cited landfill was discussed. Plenty of hazardous waste is safely disposed of in landfills or abated by bio-remediation. The key information is the amount of contaminant present in the waste.

And, while it's true that hazardous waste disposal facilities are located predominantly in poor or minority areas, landfill operations are among the most closely scrutinized operations in the country. I've had projects dealing with hazardous waste disposal (everything from asbestos containing building materials to PCB contaminated soils) and I usually ran into more stringent oversight at the disposal phase rather than the abatement phase.

It would be helpful to see the chains of custody and the environmental monitoring results and methodology to know precisely what we're dealing with.

All of this is true, Nosmo King. But I suspect such requirements will be waived for BP, as everyone in government seems so anxious to "get all this behind us". If that were not true, they would have stopped BP from using dispersants....not to mention, forced compliance on the oil rig before it blew. My confidence in government as to protecting the Gulf is at zero.
I can't speak to any compliance issues on the rig before it blew. I've never had any experience on an oil rig. But the disposal requirements are strictly enforced. If there were any waivers, it would be an extraordinary thing.

By "dispose of safely".....what do you mean?

Apparently there is NO WHERE on land where the oil spill waste could be placed.

Should it be burned?

What about poor black communities down-wind?

It seems there's only one rational solution: A space-craft designed to carry more than 50,000 tons to the sun.

Perhaps a special Act of Congress to Stimulate the economy using another $1 T the USA doesn't have could be granted towards this important program.

I don't know. I'm sad and pissed off.....telling me it's hopeless ain't cheering me up none, yanno.
It's do-able but those who own The Masters won't stand for it.
Costa Rican Astronaut Uses Trash to Create Energy | Costa Rica Travel News

Brilliant!

Send 50,000 tons of oil refuse to Costa Rica!!:clap2:

Well, just to cheer you up, the Dept of Interior has changed the name of the Minerals Management Service to the much more officious sounding Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement.
thumbsup.gif

THAT OUGHTA SHOW'EM!!

And yet, they received $308m in stimulus funding from the Obama Administration. Effectively, the taxpayer is paying for the clean up - just like Obama promised they would not. Color me shocked.

Weren't you one of those that was talking about how our President used extortion to get BP to put up what money that they have? Nicely hypocritical opinion there on your part. And, yes, I do thing that BP must be sent the bill for this also.

If Bush had given BP $308m in stimulus, you'd be baying like a fucking wolf for his blood. But, because it's Obama.... all of a sudden it's 'both side'.... fuck you, blu. This Administration owe this one.

And... in order to put anyone in jail.... we're supposed to try and convict them in a court of law.... not the fucking media.... moron.

what? the worst of the laws giving oil companies exemptions from environmental regulations were written by the oil companies themselves during the bush administration.

also, the people would still go to trial, but during that time they would sit in jail without bail and when they were found guilty they would be given the maximum sentence

So you would deny them their rights and protections under the Bill of Rights? Another anti American.

being held with out bail is anti-american?? are executives with billions of dollars not a flight risk?

Well, just to cheer you up, the Dept of Interior has changed the name of the Minerals Management Service to the much more officious sounding Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement.
thumbsup.gif

THAT OUGHTA SHOW'EM!!

O thank God! I was fearful a solution might never be found. Can I assume they have staffed this new agency with responsible, ethical, and trained people as well?

BTW, BP has released a new report on its role in the disaster. You'll be shocked -- shocked! -- to learn BP doesn't see that BP had all that much to do with it.

Highlights of the BP report on causes of the Gulf oil disaster – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

thumbsup.gif

THAT OUGHTA SHOW'EM!!

O thank God! I was fearful a solution might never be found. Can I assume they have staffed this new agency with responsible, ethical, and trained people as well?

:eek: Well, OF COURSE, responsible, ethical, and trained people are in the agency.

You wouldn't expect anything less from Salazar, Obama appointee from Land Locked Colorado......would you?:confused:

Forum List

Back