Moment of Silence on USMB for 9/11/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Hello there fellow members of USMB, seeing as tomorrow is the 9th anniversary of the September 11 attacks on America I figured that here at USMB we should have a moment of silence of sorts.

When and How long would this moment of silence be?

From 8:45 A.M EST to 9:05 A.M EST tomorrow, please refrain from posting on the board. After 9:05 A.M, feel free to post again and continue about your day here at USMB as you so choose.

What makes the time itself significant:

This moment of silence will take place in the timeframe of that day a minute before the first plane hit the North Tower and two minutes after the second plane hit the South Tower.

So do please join in this moment of silence and reflecting on the losses that were incurred that day and from the results of that day.

Thank You.

I think it is an excellent idea...however what happens if someone forgets and makes a post.

That could be very embarrassing.

Is there any way that the threads can be temporarily locked?

Perhaps you should clarify that.

Are we talking about 8:45 AM Eastern Time?

Central Time?

Pacific Time?

Or is it supposed to be based upon my honor that I am in the Eastern Time Zone and I will not post for those 20 minutes?

I would suggest setting it at Eastern Time.

Immie

Perhaps you should clarify that.

Are we talking about 8:45 AM Eastern Time?

Central Time?

Pacific Time?

Or is it supposed to be based upon my honor that I am in the Eastern Time Zone and I will not post for those 20 minutes?

I would suggest setting it at Eastern Time.

Immie

:redface:

Yup, eastern time. Good thing I can go back and edit that. So whatever time it would be central or pacific at 8:45 AM EST would be included under that.

Definitely. Let's also remember that 86 countries lost citizens that day - we claim them as Americans but it's respectful to remember that the loss was felt across the world.

I'll set my laptop clock so I know what time to stop posting.... Time differences around the world could make it complicated for some of us!

Definitely. Let's also remember that 86 countries lost citizens that day - we claim them as Americans but it's respectful to remember that the loss was felt across the world.

I'll set my laptop clock so I know what time to stop posting.... Time differences around the world could make it complicated for some of us!

Agreed.

Wonderful idea, Modbert. But I have a suggestion. You should duplicate the announcement in the non-sticky zone and keep booting it to the top. I never look at the stickies in blue, because they're usually old, and I go directly to any new announcements in the white area. But maybe that's just me being weird.

Last edited:
Wonderful idea, Modbert. But I have a suggestion. You should duplicate the announcement in the non-sticky zone. I never look at the stickies in blue, because they're usually old, and I go directly to any new announcements in the white area. But maybe that's just me being weird.

Good idea, will do.

Wonderful idea, Modbert. But I have a suggestion. You should duplicate the announcement in the non-sticky zone. I never look at the stickies in blue, because they're usually old, and I go directly to any new announcements in the white area. But maybe that's just me being weird.

Good idea, will do.

Probably just make a new thread in the minute leading up to the MoS...and that thread should remain at the top of the Active Topics list until the MoS is done.

I think it is an excellent idea...however what happens if someone forgets and makes a post.

Yes. We should make it a forced moment of.... internet silence. Because your personal reflection requires people to stop typing, even if it flies in the face of the first amendment.

Look if you want to take time during the day to reflect, by all means I understand it was a significant event for the country, and we should all do what we feel is best and right with our time. But please don't push what feels right for you on others. Some, like you, will want silence. Others will want more than anything to talk to someone at that time.

All I'm saying is that people with like-minded ideas on the topic should group together, and allow everyone else to do their thing as well.

Yes. We should make it a forced moment of.... internet silence. Because your personal reflection requires people to stop typing, even if it flies in the face of the first amendment.

Look if you want to take time during the day to reflect, by all means I understand it was a significant event for the country, and we should all do what we feel is best and right with our time. But please don't push what feels right for you on others. Some, like you, will want silence. Others will want more than anything to talk to someone at that time.

All I'm saying is that people with like-minded ideas on the topic should group together, and allow everyone else to do their thing as well.

Good grief. I've been forced to stop typing for a whole minute a gazillion times in my career over something I'm not interested in. And I never tossed my first amendment rights in that person's face.

Get a grip.

Hello there fellow members of USMB, seeing as tomorrow is the 9th anniversary of the September 11 attacks on America I figured that here at USMB we should have a moment of silence of sorts.

When and How long would this moment of silence be?

From 8:45 A.M EST to 9:05 A.M EST tomorrow, please refrain from posting on the board. After 9:05 A.M, feel free to post again and continue about your day here at USMB as you so choose.

What makes the time itself significant:

This moment of silence will take place in the timeframe of that day a minute before the first plane hit the North Tower and two minutes after the second plane hit the South Tower.

So do please join in this moment of silence and reflecting on the losses that were incurred that day and from the results of that day.

Thank You.

:clap2: Good idea!

It will also be pretty easy for me to remember not to post, because I won't be up at 545am.

I think we should TRY to not be such jerks to each other tomorrow,myself included, and remember how we all came together that day.

Count me in. And remember, fellow Brits, that means no posting between 13:45 - 14:05 GMT.

Our condolences, America. It was a blow felt by all free men and women.

Though I will be asking for a formal silence on 7/7. But that can wait another day.

Sleep tight.

Last edited:
Oh, and I dumped this in the music section; but I thought you'd all enjoy its calming lilt before tommorow.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmInifeZkzY]YouTube - Wallander - Anna Ternheim - Quiet Night[/ame]

Last edited:
Well I just read this and I'm sure there will be lots more who won't...I think if you really want it to be observed you need to send a private message to every board member.

Can mods do that? Send out mass PMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back