Moment of Silence on USMB for 9/11/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there fellow members of USMB, seeing as tomorrow is the 9th anniversary of the September 11 attacks on America I figured that here at USMB we should have a moment of silence of sorts.

When and How long would this moment of silence be?

From 8:45 A.M EST to 9:05 A.M EST tomorrow, please refrain from posting on the board. After 9:05 A.M, feel free to post again and continue about your day here at USMB as you so choose.

What makes the time itself significant:

This moment of silence will take place in the timeframe of that day a minute before the first plane hit the North Tower and two minutes after the second plane hit the South Tower.

So do please join in this moment of silence and reflecting on the losses that were incurred that day and from the results of that day.

Thank You.
Great idea bert!

I rarely post on weekends, family time is way more important so, I won't be participating anyway but, it would be nice to see the operators of this board just shut it down for the entire day. Shut it down at 11:59:59 tonight, and reopen it at 12:OO am sunday morning. Just do away with the political bickering and BS, and allow people to reflect.

Either way, it's a nice gesture bert!:clap2:

I think it is an excellent idea...however what happens if someone forgets and makes a post.

That could be very embarrassing.

Is there any way that the threads can be temporarily locked?

Yes. We should make it a forced moment of.... internet silence. Because your personal reflection requires people to stop typing, even if it flies in the face of the first amendment.

Look if you want to take time during the day to reflect, by all means I understand it was a significant event for the country, and we should all do what we feel is best and right with our time. But please don't push what feels right for you on others. Some, like you, will want silence. Others will want more than anything to talk to someone at that time.

All I'm saying is that people with like-minded ideas on the topic should group together, and allow everyone else to do their thing as well.

Are you one of those guys that yells out "WOOOOO HOOOOO!!! FUKKIN' A!!!" at a baseball stadium when there is a moment of silence for a recently passed away hall-of-famer?

Great idea bert!

I rarely post on weekends, family time is way more important so, I won't be participating anyway but, it would be nice to see the operators of this board just shut it down for the entire day. Shut it down at 11:59:59 tonight, and reopen it at 12:OO am sunday morning. Just do away with the political bickering and BS, and allow people to reflect.

I wonder if we could collectively avoid political bickering and BS for the entire day without shutting down the board?

Imagine if we could all be civil to each other for an entire day.

Imaging if there was no swearing or sexual innuendo.

Imagine all the posters, sharing all the board...

I doubt it could happen, but I'm up for trying.

Great idea bert!

I wonder if we could collectively avoid political bickering and BS for the entire day without shutting down the board?

That would be nice, I believe most people would definitely comply. Only problem is, we all know GeorgePhillip, eots, Tinmore, and those of their ilk will be up here spewing their BS.

I say just shut it down for the entire 24 hour period. Let 'em wallow in their putrid stew without the ability to spew their putrid stew all over the memories of those who lost their lives, by simply going about their lives on a beautiful september morning.

No, there's no need to shut anything down. People who want to be assholes will find a way to be assholes no matter what - now or later. I think most of us can behave for one day. The ones who don't should just be ignored en masse.

Great idea bert!

That would be nice, I believe most people would definitely comply. Only problem is, we all know GeorgePhillip, eots, Tinmore, and those of their ilk will be up here spewing their BS.

I say just shut it down for the entire 24 hour period. Let 'em wallow in their putrid stew without the ability to spew their putrid stew all over the memories of those who lost their lives, by simply going about their lives on a beautiful september morning.

Those people could simply be ignored.

And I'm talking USMB-wide blackout for them.

No responses whatsoever!

No, there's no need to shut anything down. People who want to be assholes will find a way to be assholes no matter what - now or later. I think most of us can behave for one day. The ones who don't should just be ignored en masse.
I can live with that!

Like I said, I rarely post on the weekends....It would be nice to see though, that if those type of clowns start their BS, the mods' or admin's just slap a 24 hour ban on 'em in honor of those who tragically lost their lives, and those who are now laying down their lives for us ALL!

I can live with that!

Like I said, I rarely post on the weekends....It would be nice to see though, that if those type of clowns start their BS, the mods' or admin's just slap a 24 hour ban on 'em in honor of those who tragically lost their lives, and those who are now laying down their lives for us ALL!

It would be nice, but I'd rather police them ourselves and let them know EXACTLY what the rest of USMB thinks of their shit with a good old-fashioned shunning than have the mods involved. I don't know about anyone else, but it'll be the first day I use the ignore feature. :D

Last edited:
i appreciate modbert's intentions, however, i don't think in the end the idea is of any use. how does our refraining from posting honor those who died on 9/11? for 20 minutes? i don't get it.

i was in post grad school when this happened, many students wanted a day of mourning or silence. the admin wouldn't give it. and it pissed many students off. when i attended my afternoon class, the prof, an expert in his field and highly regarded and who had worked at top firms, said something like this:

we can't take a day off, we can't stop doing our duties and we can't stop making this country run. what happened is horrible, but to stop for them, gives them the win. we have to show them that their terrorist attack did not terrorize us and that we still live our lives.

he was of course much more eloquent, and i do understand why people want and need a moment of silence or 20 minutes of no posting, i just feel that to remember them, is to remember and live our lives without a 20 minute break from posting.

Are you one of those guys that yells out "WOOOOO HOOOOO!!! FUKKIN' A!!!" at a baseball stadium when there is a moment of silence for a recently passed away hall-of-famer?

No.

As I said. Do your own thing in your threads. Just don't believe you should have everyone else on the internet stop for you outside that thread. This is not your baseball stadium remembering a baseball player.

i appreciate modbert's intentions, however, i don't think in the end the idea is of any use. how does our refraining from posting honor those who died on 9/11? for 20 minutes? i don't get it.

i was in post grad school when this happened, many students wanted a day of mourning or silence. the admin wouldn't give it. and it pissed many students off. when i attended my afternoon class, the prof, an expert in his field and highly regarded and who had worked at top firms, said something like this:

we can't take a day off, we can't stop doing our duties and we can't stop making this country run. what happened is horrible, but to stop for them, gives them the win. we have to show them that their terrorist attack did not terrorize us and that we still live our lives.

he was of course much more eloquent, and i do understand why people want and need a moment of silence or 20 minutes of no posting, i just feel that to remember them, is to remember and live our lives without a 20 minute break from posting.

I agree to an extent. We have to face the fact that the world changed on that day and that we as a nation must change some with it. So we will have a family get together on that day. Sort of a going away party and yet congratulation party for my son who leaves next week to for Germany where he will be getting married. But during that celebration my flags will be flying and we will probably have a moment of silence.

Of course it's not "useful". It's an act, or the cessation of activity, for 20 minutes to contemplate and give honor to those who died.

Everything doesn't have to be useful.

Take the 20 minutes and enjoy watching the allegedly "radical" Islam, which is supposed to be a minority, celebrate the anniversary, world wide.

I understand what you're saying, and in most circumstances I'd agree with you completely. But I see a difference between a relatively brief period of silence set aside in memory of those lost and stopping life. It does have a constructive purpose, especially for those who are still hurting. And believe it or not there will be many people hurting tomorrow who will want to take time to reflect and remember, and be grateful for the support of others in doing so.

It's all right to agree to disagree, which is why it shouldn't be mandatory or anything shut down. People remember in their own ways. But it's not wrong to want to participate either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back