Mitt Romney retires and gives a scathing review of the GOP

Romney has principles. Conservative principles. And he has the courage to stand by them. Something Trumptards don't understand.

A conservative is not going to join the modern Democratic party.

Like I said, false dichotomy.
Conservative principles?

Why then did Romney vote for the last massive spending bill along with the democrats?

Romney's a loser. He was going to be primaried and lose in Utah anyway.
To be fair, even when he won the last election they still projected him to be a loser anyway..

Fuck him.
Well he is not my type, and I'm sure he has not had all his shots and such, so I'll pass.

Besides, I don't take sloppy seconds from the filthy fascist democrats.

After all, that's how Covid got started.

Not surprised you don't like learning about the duplicitous dishonesty of the Repubs.
I hate to tell you this, Mr. Berg, but my late husband was a Republican, brought up in a main stream protestant church, and there was never a more honest, kindly, charitable man who never met a stranger, never lost nor betrayed a friend, and served in benign ways in the community, never missed a day's work until he retired, supported the church as a giving community. He loved his fellow man and lived with brotherhood with people from every walk, was interested in supporting orphaned children and shared what he had with people in need with no thought of payback. He was proud of his party, but was very upset with President Nixon when he flat out quit. Other than that, his friends were from all parties--Independent, Democrats, and Republicans, and he never did anything except make people laugh, as he was gifted with a sense of humor that made people he worked with enjoy their jobs.

The Republicans I knew while he was alive were the best of the best people and generous, too. So were his Democrat pals. I met the nicest people he associated with, and we developed friends from every walk. The Republicans I met were people who tried to live up to the goodness he radiated in a small town we lived in for 35 years. I was an independent before I met him, and to a certain degree I simply like people to be just, to be thoughtful of each other, to support good causes for other people's betterment, and most of the people we knew were just that.

Online politics are a little shocking sometimes when your family has a member in it like my late husband. One of our friends is now a Senator, and he was one of my husband's friends but was honest and kindly, and as a physician, his motto was to help people live well and care for themselves. So when you say "the duplicitous dishonesty of the Repubs," that is not true to the people I knew who were Republicans throughout our life. I miss him. Everybody in town liked my husband because he was good to people, and constantly uplifted them with his hilarious sense of humor, preplanned to make people around himself happy.

I hate to tell you this, Mr. Berg, but my late husband was a Republican, brought up in a main stream protestant church, and there was never a more honest, kindly, charitable man who never met a stranger, never lost nor betrayed a friend, and served in benign ways in the community, never missed a day's work until he retired, supported the church as a giving community. He loved his fellow man and lived with brotherhood with people from every walk, was interested in supporting orphaned children and shared what he had with people in need with no thought of payback. He was proud of his party, but was very upset with President Nixon when he flat out quit. Other than that, his friends were from all parties--Independent, Democrats, and Republicans, and he never did anything except make people laugh, as he was gifted with a sense of humor that made people he worked with enjoy their jobs.

The Republicans I knew while he was alive were the best of the best people and generous, too. So were his Democrat pals. I met the nicest people he associated with, and we developed friends from every walk. The Republicans I met were people who tried to live up to the goodness he radiated in a small town we lived in for 35 years. I was an independent before I met him, and to a certain degree I simply like people to be just, to be thoughtful of each other, to support good causes for other people's betterment, and most of the people we knew were just that.

Online politics are a little shocking sometimes when your family has a member in it like my late husband. One of our friends is now a Senator, and he was one of my husband's friends but was honest and kindly, and as a physician, his motto was to help people live well and care for themselves. So when you say "the duplicitous dishonesty of the Repubs," that is not true to the people I knew who were Republicans throughout our life. I miss him. Everybody in town liked my husband because he was good to people, and constantly uplifted them with his hilarious sense of humor, preplanned to make people around himself happy.
He sounds like my wife.

My wife knows everyone in town....and she is well liked by everyone except maybe people who are jealous of her kindness and her beauty.

Now she has Dementia and is shell of her former self.
The worst part of it is I remember what she was like and compare it to what she is today, and it kills me a little inside. To see someone I loved for 46 years slowly leave me a little bit more each day is harder on loved ones than the person going thru it.

It begs the question, if you are more vocal and critical of the GOP than the DNC, why were you a Republican all those years?
Senator Romney (who you once supported and voted for) doesn’t like the veer into crazy-land you guys have taken and is speaking out about it.
This man honestly thinks Biden is a better President than Trump was.
Biden is a superior President, father, man and person than your blob. Romney is uncharacteristically right about that.

It begs the question, if you are more vocal and critical of the GOP than the DNC, why were you a Republican all those years?

This man honestly thinks Biden is a better President than Trump was.
I have nothing against moderates but if you are afflicted with TDS that is a problem.

He sounds like my wife.

My wife knows everyone in town....and she is well liked by everyone except maybe people who are jealous of her kindness and her beauty.

Now she has Dementia and is shell of her former self.
The worst part of it is I remember what she was like and compare it to what she is today, and it kills me a little inside. To see someone I loved for 46 years slowly leave me a little bit more each day is harder on loved ones than the person going thru it.
Gracious, my husband passed from dementia, mudwhistle 7 years ago. I wish someone had told me what I didn't know about the disease. I went into it blindly, never knowing what I know now. I wish I had reminded him more of how much people admired him, with me at the top of the list. So my coulda, shoulda, woulda years made me realize that would have made his misery (even if only slightly) better. I kept thinking a miracle cure for dementia patients was right around the corner, so I just went on as usual, and I just wonder if I had tried to put myself in his place, his final days would have been what he deserved--happier. He died in his sleep in his favorite chair, and I was next to him, because I knew he didn't have a lot of time left, but the show kinda put me to sleep for maybe an hour? And when I woke up, I asked him did he enjoy the movie we were watching, but he didn't say anything. So I put my hand on his shoulder to ask him again, but noticed he was cold, so I went to get him a blanket. When I got back, I tried to put the blanket over him, when I noticed something was really wrong. He didn't respond. And it hit me, his time was up, and I thought he would have several more weeks, but that wasn't to be. And yes, I used almost the same description of him being a shell of his former self on his last three or four months. The rest is a blitz, except when the coroner arrived, so did the police. She was okay, but the police started asking me questions that made me feel like I was a suspect in a murder, and I got a little defensive. Fortunately, the Coroner told them that was enough, because she saw my pain. She comforted me when she said in our area, the police were always called when the only residents are the victim and his or her spouse, and they were required to ask probing questions. I had no idea, but the rest was preparing for the funeral at church, and following his wishes to be cremated with his ashes placed in the church garden, as was the custom here. I hope that if you remind her even once of how wonderful her life affected yours, then she might be able to bear the cross she is bearing now with a little more comfort. I didn't know what to say to such a wonderful man, and I assumed he knew how much I loved and respected everything about it. That's all I remember about it, except I had to put his chair when I would cry every time I looked at it. So, I put it in the sun room adjacent to the tv den, and tried to get on with my life. I have a feeling you might have already said to her how wonderful she is, and if you have or do remind her of the joy she brought you, you will have a lot more peace than I did for a couple of years afterward. And remember, the coulda woulda shoulda is very common when you lose such a wonderful spouse and partner. My prayers are up for what you are going through with right now. :huddle: I still hope they figure out how to heal people who get dementia back to normal. I'm reading up a lot lately on how to delay mental faculties for people who are up in years and want to be alert to the age of 120 years, which is the new life expectancy for people in this century, according to the human health classes I took in the early 1980s. One of my professors emphasized our class would have people living up to the age of 120, and that stayed with me for some reason. She's so lucky she has you, Mr. Mudwhistle.

Gracious, my husband passed from dementia, mudwhistle 7 years ago. I wish someone had told me what I didn't know about the disease. I went into it blindly, never knowing what I know now. I wish I had reminded him more of how much people admired him, with me at the top of the list. So my coulda, shoulda, woulda years made me realize that would have made his misery (even if only slightly) better. I kept thinking a miracle cure for dementia patients was right around the corner, so I just went on as usual, and I just wonder if I had tried to put myself in his place, his final days would have been what he deserved--happier. He died in his sleep in his favorite chair, and I was next to him, because I knew he didn't have a lot of time left, but the show kinda put me to sleep for maybe an hour? And when I woke up, I asked him did he enjoy the movie we were watching, but he didn't say anything. So I put my hand on his shoulder to ask him again, but noticed he was cold, so I went to get him a blanket. When I got back, I tried to put the blanket over him, when I noticed something was really wrong. He didn't respond. And it hit me, his time was up, and I thought he would have several more weeks, but that wasn't to be. And yes, I used almost the same description of him being a shell of his former self on his last three or four months. The rest is a blitz, except when the coroner arrived, so did the police. She was okay, but the police started asking me questions that made me feel like I was a suspect in a murder, and I got a little defensive. Fortunately, the Coroner told them that was enough, because she saw my pain. She comforted me when she said in our area, the police were always called when the only residents are the victim and his or her spouse, and they were required to ask probing questions. I had no idea, but the rest was preparing for the funeral at church, and following his wishes to be cremated with his ashes placed in the church garden, as was the custom here. I hope that if you remind her even once of how wonderful her life affected yours, then she might be able to bear the cross she is bearing now with a little more comfort. I didn't know what to say to such a wonderful man, and I assumed he knew how much I loved and respected everything about it. That's all I remember about it, except I had to put his chair when I would cry every time I looked at it. So, I put it in the sun room adjacent to the tv den, and tried to get on with my life. I have a feeling you might have already said to her how wonderful she is, and if you have or do remind her of the joy she brought you, you will have a lot more peace than I did for a couple of years afterward. And remember, the coulda woulda shoulda is very common when you lose such a wonderful spouse and partner. My prayers are up for what you are going through with right now. :huddle: I still hope they figure out how to heal people who get dementia back to normal. I'm reading up a lot lately on how to delay mental faculties for people who are up in years and want to be alert to the age of 120 years, which is the new life expectancy for people in this century, according to the human health classes I took in the early 1980s. One of my professors emphasized our class would have people living up to the age of 120, and that stayed with me for some reason. She's so lucky she has you, Mr. Mudwhistle.
I had to quit my job working for the Dept of the Army to take care of her.

Frankly, I'm making more in retirement than I did working for Uncle Sam.

She is very difficult to deal with most of the time.

She gets on my nerves sometimes because she looks for me the minute I leave the room.

She follows me around the house.

She always asks me if she can do anything for me and I always say no.

She tells me she loves me every day.

I remember when we were both working she would get up every morning and fix me breakfast. I had to get up at 5am. She usually had it ready before I headed out the door. Then she would wave at me from the front porch every morning. My coworkers would always be hungry because their wives never made them breakfast. It was too much trouble for them to get up that early.
Now she can't cook anything. She asks me as soon as I get up if there was any coffee. I say, no, I haven't had a chance to make any yet.
Lately she's been packing up her stuff because she can't remember this is the home we bought 30 years ago. She says we have a home back in Florida and she wants to see her momma. I keep telling her this is our home and her momma has been gone for 40 years or more.
I've been dealing with this since 2019 since she had her hip-replacement surgery. She's slowly getting worse. The drugs they gave her was what seems to have triggered it.

I had to quit my job working for the Dept of the Army to take care of her.

Frankly, I'm making more in retirement than I did working for Uncle Sam.

She is very difficult to deal with most of the time.

She gets on my nerves sometimes because she looks for me the minute I leave the room.

She follows me around the house.

She always asks me if she can do anything for me and I always say no.

She tells me she loves me every day.

I remember when we were both working she would get up every morning and fix me breakfast. I had to get up at 5am. She usually had it ready before I headed out the door. Then she would wave at me from the front porch every morning. My coworkers would always be hungry because their wives never made them breakfast. It was too much trouble for them to get up that early.
Now she can't cook anything. She asks me as soon as I get up if there was any coffee. I say, no, I haven't had a chance to make any yet.
Lately she's been packing up her stuff because she can't remember this is the home we bought 30 years ago. She says we have a home back in Florida and she wants to see her momma. I keep telling her this is our home and her momma has been gone for 40 years or more.
I've been dealing with this since 2019 since she had her hip-replacement surgery. She's slowly getting worse. The drugs they gave her was what seems to have triggered it.
That's far and away harder than what I had to deal with, Mudwhistle. My man lost a different faculty on a once or twice a week basis. I saw the best man who ever lived lose a little bit of his life evenly spaced until his last two days when falling became the clarion call. I had to deal with it, because his kind of dementia was from a different source--he was beaten up by a gang of bullies in high school. He had polio when he was a kid, and one of his arms was slightly disfigured. I guess the bullies figured he couldn't fight them back, because he was hospitalized briefly for a head injury, and his younger brother and friends saw to it they'd never do that again back when it happened in the 50s. When his brother told me that, he omitted what they did to get such a result, and I didn't ask. :rolleyes-41:

His neurologist knew his dementia had a start, and he knew exactly what caused it without knowing his history. That type of dementia causes problems that nursing homes will turn the person away. So I dealt with him with no experience and not knowing what to expect or when. He liked old movies, however, so I went to goodwill and bought a bunch of them--westerns, whodunits, and musicals. Those things made his life bearable. I still should have told him how wonderful he was, though, and if I had to do it again, it would be three or four times a day.

Last edited:
Well, back to the subject of Mitt Romney, I hope Mr. Romney thinks better than of making a miserable situation his anathema, because President Trump deserves better, and the majority of the group will.. well, I can't speak for others, but I hope Mr. Romney uses his head and not his angry feelings in the near and even later future.

Well, back to the subject of Mitt Romney, I hope Mr. Romney thinks better than of making a miserable situation his anathema, because President Trump deserves better, and the majority of the group will.. well, I can't speak for others, but I hope Mr. Romney uses his head and not his angry feelings in the near and even later future.

Forum List

Back