Mitt Romney against the debt deal

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Mitt Romney against the debt deal - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com

Mitt Romney issues his most explicit statement today on any form of debt-ceiling deal:

“As president, my plan would have produced a budget that was cut, capped and balanced – not one that opens the door to higher taxes and puts defense cuts on the table. President Obama’s leadership failure has pushed the economy to the brink at the eleventh hour and 59th minute. While I appreciate the extraordinarily difficult situation President Obama’s lack of leadership has placed Republican Members of Congress in, I personally cannot support this deal.”

Mitt Romney made a poor choice by saying we shouldn't raise the debt ceiling. What I find even more amazing is he talks about a budget that is balanced but at the same time doesn't want to put defense cuts on the table. His position puts him on par with Bachmann on this issue.

This is not going to win him over many Conservative voters who don't trust him at all to begin with. What this will do however is draw more support to Huntsman who did support the deal from the moderates who support Romney.

Id worry about who you are going to primary against the Oman if you are going to stand a chance holding on to the presidency.

Mitt Romney issues his most explicit statement today on any form of debt-ceiling deal:

“As president, my plan would have produced a budget that was cut, capped and balanced – not one that opens the door to higher taxes and puts defense cuts on the table. President Obama’s leadership failure has pushed the economy to the brink at the eleventh hour and 59th minute. While I appreciate the extraordinarily difficult situation President Obama’s lack of leadership has placed Republican Members of Congress in, I personally cannot support this deal.”

Mitt Romney made a poor choice by saying we shouldn't raise the debt ceiling. What I find even more amazing is he talks about a budget that is balanced but at the same time doesn't want to put defense cuts on the table. His position puts him on par with Bachmann on this issue.

This is not going to win him over many Conservative voters who don't trust him at all to begin with. What this will do however is draw more support to Huntsman who did support the deal from the moderates who support Romney.

i'm surprised at him. but he must be trying to suck up to the tea nutters.

just proves he's no different from the other repubs. he just cleans up better.

i'm surprised at him. but he must be trying to suck up to the tea nutters.

just proves he's no different from the other repubs. he just cleans up better.

That seems to be the case. Problem for him is they're already more likely to vote for someone like Bachmann over him. All he's doing is tossing away his moderate support to candidates like Huntsman or even Cain in some cases.

I still don't get it. How is making more debt going to get you out of debt?

Oh and those cuts of one trillion dollars will be spread out in 10 years. but we will still be spending more monbey making more debt. I jsy don't get it.

Last edited:

Except raising the debt ceiling isn't making more debt.

U.S. GAO - Debt Limit: Delays Create Debt Management Challenges and Increase Uncertainty in the Treasury Market

The debt limit does not control or limit the ability of the federal government to run deficits or incur obligations. Rather, it is a limit on the ability to pay obligations already incurred.

Except raising the debt ceiling isn't making more debt
Thats exactly what it is. Why do you need to get more credit unless you intend to barrow more money?

U.S. GAO - Debt Limit: Delays Create Debt Management Challenges and Increase Uncertainty in the Treasury Market

The debt limit does not control or limit the ability of the federal government to run deficits or incur obligations. Rather, it is a limit on the ability to pay obligations already incurred.

While raising the debt ceiling does not create debt, it is to cover spending none the less.

I'm not excited about the "deal" either. We need a balanced budget ammendment, we need to cut our spending rather than borrow more money, we need to increase revenue by doing away with all the tax loopholes for everybody from the big business execs right down to the people that pay no federal taxes at all and we need the Fair Tax to be passed into law. It makes no sense to me to keep borrowing money when we can't even pay back what we have already borrowed. It's past time to tighten up the belt. No more tax and spend. No more borrow and spend. It should be against the law for Congress to spend more money than they take in through taxes every year.

The real question is was Romney for it before he was against it?

If Huntsman pulls just one moderate from Romney, it will have the immediately effect of doubling his base of support.

While raising the debt ceiling does not create debt, it is to cover spending none the less.

More spending would equal more debt.

I'm not excited about the "deal" either. We need a balanced budget ammendment, we need to cut our spending rather than borrow more money, we need to increase revenue by doing away with all the tax loopholes for everybody from the big business execs right down to the people that pay no federal taxes at all and we need the Fair Tax to be passed into law. It makes no sense to me to keep borrowing money when we can't even pay back what we have already borrowed. It's past time to tighten up the belt. No more tax and spend. No more borrow and spend. It should be against the law for Congress to spend more money than they take in through taxes every year.

People use to be thrown in debtors prison for not paying their debt.

Thats exactly what it is. Why do you need to get more credit unless you intend to barrow more money?

Why do you need good credit at all is essentially what you are asking. Defaulting on our financial obligations would bring about a second economic recession. Higher interest rates for everyone on just about everything is only one of many things that would be the result of not raising the debt ceiling.

Don't bother acting like you seem to understand this issue when you clearly don't.

More spending would equal more debt.

OF THAT THERE IS NO DOUBT.

Figure in unfunded liability and it could be argued the ceiling does increase the debt.,

Are you really that naive? If it weren't going to result in more debt, why did they just have this massive debate? They could have just said, Oh we wont incur any more debt and we can keep the old ceiling.
So why didn they do that? Ask an adult for help.

People use to be thrown in debtors prison for not paying their debt.

Because the best way to get someone to pay back their debt is to throw them in prison. :thup:

They didn't just sit in a jail ceil they worked and went back to jail. They did what ever job the judg had them to do. Something on the lines of the chain gang road detail.

Are you really that naive? If it weren't going to result in more debt, why did they just have this massive debate? They could have just said, Oh we wont incur any more debt and we can keep the old ceiling.
So why didn they do that? Ask an adult for help.

Raising the debt ceiling allows us to pay financial obligations already incurred. The fact we can borrow more is just a indirect result of that. However, there is no guarantee we would.

We just had this debate because the GOP manufactured a crisis and then later tried to weasel their way out of it through the Mitch McConnell plan. There was a $4 trillion plan on the table, but they rejected it because it included tax increases. They compromised on absolutely nothing, and got plenty of what they wanted. So instead of getting $4 trillion, and both sides being relatively happy. We got a deal that absolutely nobody is happy with. And we get to do this again in December.

Forum List

Back