Misunderestimating Middle America

Max Power said:
I can see the bible for what it is, which contains both good and bad. You can't, and I'm sorry but it's VERY clearly there, so it isn't my mind which is clouded.

(shrug) already answered that

"The bible talks about Slavery. The Bible encourages those who are slaves to NOT rebel, therfore GOD LOVES and PROMOTES SLAVERY!! YEAH!"

That's your argument.

The bible also talks about death. God must be SO pro Death. The Bible talks of Satan-worship too! That must mean, to you, the Bible encourages Satan-worship!

Max Power said:
Yeah, the bible also refers to selling ones own daughter into servitude
Ex.21:7 "If a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant...."

But I'm sure they're just referring to leaders and bosses :Rolleyes: who are "purchasing" people.

But the ever-tolerant bible DOES place limits on slavery
Ex 21:2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.

So I guess 6 years of slavery isn't so bad. :rolleyes:

Exodus and many of the older books do contain alot of strange rules and laws. But Jesus came along and changed everything. So again I ask, what has Jesus preached that you have such a problem with?

Max Power said:
it's okay to take away rights from others

Holy CRAP! Right there! Max Power Supports SLAVERY! Look - He said those very words! Nevermind the context of the discussion or anything - just focus on the literal words he typed!

:rolleyes:

:puke3: :blah2:

Max Power said:
Then why do you insist that it's okay to take away rights from others, so long as it's done democratically?

"God forbid you let a democracy choose which laws it wants, in a democratic manner"

I'm not insisting to take away anyones "rights". Please cite to me anywhere in our Constitution that gives people the right to gay marriage or for abortion. The problem is neither was addressed. Hence why we need to define it through an amendment to the Constitution. If the majority want gay marriage to be legal I don't have a problem with it. If the majority want to ban abortion, doesn't bother me. If the majority want to legalize abortion yet put heavy restrictions on it, fine by me. The point is it should be done through our lawmakers, not just be legal or not legal depending on what panel of judges is in power.

theHawk said:
Exodus and many of the older books do contain alot of strange rules and laws. But Jesus came along and changed everything. So again I ask, what has Jesus preached that you have such a problem with?

5 of the 12 slavery references in the bible on that page I linked are New Testament.

dmp said:
Holy CRAP! Right there! Max Power Supports SLAVERY! Look - He said those very words! Nevermind the context of the discussion or anything - just focus on the literal words he typed!

:puke3: :blah2:

theHawk said:
I'm not insisting to take away anyones "rights". Please cite to me anywhere in our Constitution that gives people the right to gay marriage or for abortion. The problem is neither was addressed. Hence why we need to define it through an amendment to the Constitution. If the majority want gay marriage to be legal I don't have a problem with it. If the majority want to ban abortion, doesn't bother me. If the majority want to legalize abortion yet put heavy restrictions on it, fine by me. The point is it should be done through our lawmakers, not just be legal or not legal depending on what panel of judges is in power.

The thing is, our rights aren't determined by mob opinion. . . because we don't live in a true democracy. . . and it's better that way.

BTW -

How long does middle America have to insist that ONLY THEY are true Americans, and condescend to anyone who disagrees with them, before they become hypocrites for accusing the "liberal elite" of doing the same to them?

I was under the impression that, in this country, we're all Americans.

theHawk said:

Is the right to heterosexual marriage in the Constitution?

Max Power said:
Christians are free to think whatever they want, to say whatever they want, but they are not free to impose their beliefs on others.

And, to be honest, the bible doesn't exactly have the most enlightened opinions on things. Not only is homosexuality not accepted, but slavery is.

Sometimes its necessary to have a higher moral standard than the bible.

What's this "higher moral standard" you think is necessary? From where does this "standard" originate?

ScreamingEagle said:
What's this "higher moral standard" you think is necessary? From where does this "standard" originate?

Morals need not stem from religion. If you'd like to discuss this further, I suggest you start another thread.

Max Power said:
Morals need not stem from religion. If you'd like to discuss this further, I suggest you start another thread.

C'mon, don't evade the question. I'm jsut looking for a brief short answer.

ScreamingEagle said:
C'mon, don't evade the question. I'm jsut looking for a brief short answer.

How about, "Let your conscience be your guide?"
JIMINY.jpg

It's not rocket science to be able to tell what is right and what is wrong.

Max Power said:
How about, "Let your conscience be your guide?"
JIMINY.jpg

It's not rocket science to be able to tell what is right and what is wrong.

How about it?

Is your conscience where your "higher moral standards" originate?

ScreamingEagle said:
Is your conscience where your "higher moral standards" originate?

Yes. It's not hard to tell when doing something hurts other people, so avoiding that is not that complicated.

Conscience isn't exactly a scientific term, but I think it's something most of us have.

Max Power said:
Yes. It's not hard to tell when doing something hurts other people, so avoiding that is not that complicated.

Conscience isn't exactly a scientific term, but I think it's something most of us have.

OK. So without getting personal, what makes your conscience better than my conscience? Why does your conscience have a "higher moral standard" than mine?

ScreamingEagle said:
OK. So without getting personal, what makes your conscience better than my conscience? Why does your conscience have a "higher moral standard" than mine?

I haven't said mine is better than yours.

All I've said is that I think that slavery is wrong. The bible certainly doesn't. What's your opinion on slavery?

Forum List

Back