Misunderestimating Middle America

theHawk said:
I'm really not understanding you. I'm not saying a "mob" make up our rules, but our elected congressmen/senators/President make them. If you're calling that a "mob opinion" then I guess our Constitution was also made from a "mob". What is the better way you are talking about?

Our Constitution was not made by a mob, but I don't think we have to get into that here.

The better way I am talking about is a system where rights are protected.

Max Power said:
Our Constitution was not made by a mob, but I don't think we have to get into that here.

"The better way"?......another one of your elitist statements that you like to just toss out, Max?

kinda like saying "the higher moral standard"?

I don't mean to get any discussion sidetracked, but when pure BS like yours shows up, it needs to be called out. .

Your statements are totally peppered with liberal bullshit that has no real meaning. You can't back up any of your claims. Your reasoning is full of holes, like Swiss cheese.

In fact, such basic differences are the reasons why liberals underestimate middle America.

ScreamingEagle said:
"The better way"?......another one of your elitist statements that you like to just toss out, Max?
I don't consider rights and freedoms to be "elitist."

I don't mean to get any discussion sidetracked, but when pure BS like yours shows up, it needs to be called out.
Let me know when you actually catch any

Max Power said:
I don't consider rights and freedoms to be "elitist."

Let me know when you actually catch any

I never said that. Is this another one your idiotic liberal comebacks? :stupid:

Maybe you can deign to come down from your ivory tower to let us poor souls from "middle America" know what your "better system" is?

ScreamingEagle said:
I never said that. Is this another one your idiotic liberal comebacks? :stupid:

"The better way"?......another one of your elitist statements

You just referred to protection of rights as elitist. So yes, you did say that.

Max Power said:
"The better way"?......another one of your elitist statements

You just referred to protection of rights as elitist. So yes, you did say that.

Explain to us what your "better way" really is. Describe the system.

ScreamingEagle said:
Explain to us what your "better way" really is. Describe the system.
http://chezjacq.com/repubic.htm

Constitutionally Limited Republic - is a country where the overall structure of the government, as well as the rights of the citizens are laid out in writing. Generally, a country’s constitution cannot be altered by a mere majority (50% + 1). It usually requires a 2/3 “majority” and sometimes more to alter this document, as in the case of the United States.

A country CANNOT be a democracy and a constitutionally limited republic at the same time.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/articles.html

Max Power said:

Actually, the info about Canada is incorrect, we're really a Constitutional Monarchy with a Representive Government, elected through their constituencies across Canada. We do not vote on very much in this country, including the executive. There are also FIVE amendment formulas applicable to changing the constitution, depending on what is being changed and who is effected by desired changes.

ScreamingEagle said:
So how is this any different or "better" than what we already have?

That is what we have now, and it's better than a democracy.

Max Power said:
That is what we have now, and it's better than a democracy.

OK then, we're better than an actual democracy, but maybe still not good enough?

You seem to be claiming that there is a "better way" to protect certain "rights".

ScreamingEagle said:
OK then, we're better than an actual democracy, but maybe still not good enough?

You seem to be claiming that there is a "better way" to protect certain "rights".

Many people (I'm not saying you) believe that "Well, if the majority of people don't want to let gays have the right to marry, then that's how it should be because we live in a democracy!"

Here's someone saying something along those lines in this thread

So I'm simply pointing out that this is NOT a democracy, this is a society where individual rights are protected from the will of the majority.

Okay?

Max Power said:
Many people (I'm not saying you) believe that "Well, if the majority of people don't want to let gays have the right to marry, then that's how it should be because we live in a democracy!"

Here's someone saying something along those lines in this thread

So I'm simply pointing out that this is NOT a democracy, this is a society where individual rights are protected from the will of the majority.

Okay?

Okay, I understand your point but do not understand it as a valid form of rebuttal to Hawk. The issue is not really democracy vs republic. People always say "democracy" instead of "constitutional republic". By focusing on that minor picky issue you seem to be avoiding the real issue. The real issue seems to be your misunderstanding of what "individual rights" are protected under our Constitution and Bill of Rights and how other laws are created in this country.

We do have several rights listed in our Constitution and Bill of Rights - such as free speech and the right to bear arms. Yet the so-called "rights" pertaining to liberal ideas such as homosexual marriage, polygamy, abortion, etc. are not listed anywhere as individual rights. Liberals have a tendency to think such ideas are implied and get very irate when middle America votes against what they perceive as their "rights".

Wow, I started a thread that resulted in a ban (though temporary). Still, I will reply to the comments that sparked the ban.

Yes, I said "the left." You know why? Because it's true, that's why. Sure, there are a few Democrats who still believe in middle America, but most of the left is currently in the far left, secular progressive catagory, and all those guys think middle America is nothing but a bunch of uneducated, mouth breathing hicks who need to be told what's what because they don't know any better.

Misunderestimating is a word. Just check the Bushtionary. [/sarcasm]

It was one of Bush's more publicized tongue slips. I think he was saying something about people "misunderestimating" the Iraqis. I thought it was funny as hell, so I use it every once in a while.

manu1959 said:
Hobbit,

very well written....living in California just outside san francisco and berkeley.....to me the issue time and again is....moral superiority.....they are over educated.....and arrogant.....time and again they are dumbfounded that everyone doesn't agree with them just because they say so....they lecture you like they know what is best for everyone then they resort to insults when you ask a question or challenge them.....all you have to do to watch their head pop off is say....i voted for bush.....the start yelling at you and calling you stupid .....and then they wonder why you don't want to be part of their group....

How can you say that the people living in California are over educated if they were actually educated in a well rounded sense than they would understand a little about life. These people may be "book smart" but lack all common sense. I feel for anyone that attends college in this state since they will never recieve anything other than a complete liberal point-of-view on the world and the US.

These people are far form over educated they actually are undereducated in the ways of the world.....

Forum List

Back