Misunderestimating Middle America

Ok, this is what pisses me off. I posted what's practically a political column about how the left constantly underestimates the intelligence of middle America and can't accept that those of middle America aren't just going to buy in to a cheap piece of propoganda. Then, I go to work, expecting to come back and find a few posts with the conservatives talking pretty much along the same lines, and liberals talking about how either they're trying to find a way to relate or how middle America is nothing but a bunch of mouth-breathing hicks who need to fall in line and do what they're told.

However, Max Power managed to completely derail this entire thread by the end of the first page. Max, if you want to go on and on about how horrible the bible is for allegedly condoning slavery, go start another thread, and I'll be glad to contribute. This thread is about middle America, and very few posts have even had mention of the original topic in it. Let's get back on track.

Hobbit said:
Ok, this is what pisses me off. I posted what's practically a political column about how the left constantly underestimates the intelligence of middle America and can't accept that those of middle America aren't just going to buy in to a cheap piece of propoganda. Then, I go to work, expecting to come back and find a few posts with the conservatives talking pretty much along the same lines, and liberals talking about how either they're trying to find a way to relate or how middle America is nothing but a bunch of mouth-breathing hicks who need to fall in line and do what they're told.

However, Max Power managed to completely derail this entire thread by the end of the first page. Max, if you want to go on and on about how horrible the bible is for allegedly condoning slavery, go start another thread, and I'll be glad to contribute. This thread is about middle America, and very few posts have even had mention of the original topic in it. Let's get back on track.

i am from middle America and i am trying to “prove” i am smart.....or at least let others prove they are dumber than I…….oh and i agree.....people are much smarter than the press and the left, or right for that matter, give them credit for....further, left lefts claim of moral and intellectually superiority is only indicative of someone that is overcompensating for their own insecurity and lack of confidence in their own beliefs…..ever notice how secure convicted confident people are often right and don’t argue about it….they just do what they do and let the chips fall how they may.

Max Power said:
Was that an intentional pun? I thought (fundamentalist) Christians don't believe in "evolution."

I'm sorry, but is your abortion rant directed at me?

Another devolved discussion with a liberal....
:gross2:

Hobbit said:
We've seen what has happened in the past with this. The heart and soul of America lies outside the sprawling metropolis in the suburbs, the farms, and the small communities of America. It lies in the modern Mayberries of the nation, where everybody knows everybody on a first name basis, the kids walk to school, and the only "gun violence" is against rabbits, squirrels, and deer. Across the country, millions of such people grow up in the same town for most of their lives, never approaching the overwhelmingly populated cities. Thanks to home grown values, these people are actually fairly well educated and thanks to mass media, they're pretty well informed on national and international interests. They also actually care about their country and vote in droves, as well as sign up for the military.

The left, however, doesn't see it this way. In the eyes of the left, there are 5 types of people in this country: the educated elite who know everything (themselves), impressionable students who can become educated elite, the easily led people they control, the evil conservatives, and the morons who vote for conservatives and would surely vote liberal if somebody just gave the idiots an education. In case you haven't guessed, middle America is in catagory 5. So for years, the left has been trying to 'educate' this group, so they'll see the light and vote for Democrats. During the past several years, they've seen elitist after elitist condescend to them to try to get them to see the light, all the while pushing things on them like abortion, homosexuality, and gun control. Well, many of these guys may not be the best educated in the world, but they ain't stupid. They know a scam when they see it, and as and almost exclusively church-going crowd, they think abortion is murder, homosexuality is a sin, and they'd like to keep their hunting guns, thank you very much.

Despite this, the assault continues. With movies like "The Day After Tomorrow," "Alexander," and many others espousing liberal values continue to assault the movie theaters in an attempt to 'educate the ignorant.' It's so blatant, that very few people can miss the downright assault on classical society. Even in movies not about liberal issues, a few things hold true. People are always happier with their second marriages, guns always cause problems, Christians pick on everybody, and having sex is just another part of a relationship. TV shows are no exception, either, as shows like "Will and Grace," "Friends," and "Seinfeld" are fraught with the ideas of gay culture, frivilous sex, and a dozen other liberal values. Well, no matter how it's dressed up, this tends to rub the church crowd the wrong way, since it's all in direct contradiction to Christian values, and middle America is very much the church crowd. Even as this continued, the same movies and TV shows tried to suppress the value of the Bible, painting it as a hateful, archaic document that causes normal people to turn into bigots and idiots who hate everything modern and want to kill gay people and blacks. Well, despite what the left thinks, the 'redneck hicks' of middle America aren't dumb, and they're very pround. They don't take kindly to be insulted by the stereotype of the dumb, easily led idiot.

That being the case, they've said a collective "nothin' doin'" in the past two presidential elections. They've stopped giving their money to movie theaters. They don't watch a whole lot of TV anymore, and an old Democrat ally, the rural poor, has gone turncoat, voting Republican over and over again. So, what does the left say about it? Well, it can't be their fault, they educated the savages in their ways, and anybody who knows converts to their side because they're right. So why aren't those of the country music NASCAR flooding over to the left or seeing movies and TV? Oh, it's very simple. You see, the GOP is brainwashing these people, lying to them, enticing them with tax cuts, etc. in order to keep their votes. The only way the GOP could possibly win is to cheat, right? If that's so, then why aren't the movies and TV shows working. Well, nobody sees movies because they're overpriced and movie theaters aren't very clean, right? Well, that gets disproven regularly by family movies like "The Incredibles" and Christian values movies like "The Passion." The TV shows are explained away by the 'fact' that most of rural America doesn't have sattelite or cable, a fallacy, considering the success of channels like PAX and TVLand, which show programs that actually have some values intact.

The left is so frustrated by middle America and their inability to reach them, that it's driven them over the deep end, especially with the president they hate so much, but who is almost seen as 'one of us' from the views of middle America. Bush is a down-home, traditional, gun-toting Texan, and that's something middle America can relate to. The left, however, holds up cultural elites that look down at the proud people of the country and alienate them. Well, one thing is clear. The left either has to break out of the illusion that condescention can reach middle America or they will die out. Which do you think it will be?

Hobbit,

very well written....living in California just outside san francisco and berkeley.....to me the issue time and again is....moral superiority.....they are over educated.....and arrogant.....time and again they are dumbfounded that everyone doesn't agree with them just because they say so....they lecture you like they know what is best for everyone then they resort to insults when you ask a question or challenge them.....all you have to do to watch their head pop off is say....i voted for bush.....the start yelling at you and calling you stupid .....and then they wonder why you don't want to be part of their group....

manu1959 said:
Hobbit,

very well written....living in California just outside san francisco and berkeley.....to me the issue time and again is....moral superiority.....they are over educated.....and arrogant.....time and again they are dumbfounded that everyone doesn't agree with them just because they say so....they lecture you like they know what is best for everyone then they resort to insults when you ask a question or challenge them.....all you have to do to watch their head pop off is say....i voted for bush.....the start yelling at you and calling you stupid .....and then they wonder why you don't want to be part of their group....

Exactly. I see this all the time. A 'womyn's' group set up on campus one day, and half of their booth was anti-Bush stuff. I asked why, only to be informed that Bush was anti-woman because he was pro-life and hadn't 'done something about the wage gap.' I managed to talk to the right girl, and changed her perspective on things a bit, especially on the 'wage gap.' However, it took a minute to get her to calm down enough to listen to me. After all, how dare I say anything not negative about Bush, the most evil person to ever touch the Earth.

You know, I started to read the drivel that sparked this thread, but the second paragraph, that's right, the SECOND paragraph starts off with "The Left." What a bunch of biased, uninformed garbage this is. Get a life Hobbit!

Jimmyeatworld said:
Perhaps the problem is people preaching about tolerance when they only tolerate what is convenient for them.

If the gay community found reason to start voting predominately Republican, I can just imagine the "fag" jokes you would be pasting the board with.

Max Power said:
Apparently you've never heard of the Log Cabin Republicans, or Andrew Sullivan.

Yes, I've heard of the Log Cabin Republicans and Andrew Sullivan. Can you define "predominately"?

MissileMan said:
Is the right to heterosexual marriage in the Constitution?

Its not hence why some suggest there be an amendment made to clarify the matter, and not to leave it open for 'interpretation' by a judge. Personally I could care less if the government does or doesnt offically recognize any marriage hetero or homo. Nothing is stopping either from going to a church and getting married.

Max Power said:
The thing is, our rights aren't determined by mob opinion. . . because we don't live in a true democracy. . . and it's better that way.

I'm really not understanding you. I'm not saying a "mob" make up our rules, but our elected congressmen/senators/President make them. If you're calling that a "mob opinion" then I guess our Constitution was also made from a "mob". What is the better way you are talking about?

Hagbard Celine said:
You know, I started to read the drivel that sparked this thread, but the second paragraph, that's right, the SECOND paragraph starts off with "The Left." What a bunch of biased, uninformed garbage this is. Get a life Hobbit!

you know i started to read your post but once i saw the avatar i knew the rest would be crap.

Hagbard Celine said:

It's an opinion piece, Einstein.

dmp said:
That's like choosing Howard Dean or Howard Stern...Both can be idiots, but at east Stern is honest.

:)

Did you see Bill O'Reilly's interview with Howard Stern? One of the better exchanges I've seen in awhile.

The ClayTaurus said:
Did you see Bill O'Reilly's interview with Howard Stern? One of the better exchanges I've seen in awhile.

I did - which is the only reason I put the 'but Stern can be honest'. My opinion of Stern increased after seeing that. Still, our local DJ The T-Man would make Stern cry like a baby during a battle of wits. :)

:D

dmp said:
I did - which is the only reason I put the 'but Stern can be honest'. My opinion of Stern increased after seeing that. Still, our local DJ The T-Man would make Stern cry like a baby during a battle of wits. :)

:D

He completely nailed o'reilly on his factor gear. I was crying it was so funny.

Hobbit said:
However, Max Power managed to completely derail this entire thread by the end of the first page.

Hey, I specifically mentioned starting another thread, but ScreamingEagle didn't want it.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Yes, I've heard of the Log Cabin Republicans and Andrew Sullivan. Can you define "predominately"?

I'm just saying that I've never heard of anyone calling a Log Cabin Republican a "fag" because of his political beliefs.

Forum List

Back