Good Advice for Older Drivers

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
I never read articles like this but I think of my grandpa. When he was 79, he entered his garage by the side door, got into his car, and backed out without first making sure the garage door was open. He also seemed to have trouble distinguishing the street from the sidewalk because he sometimes got his car on the sidewalk instead of on the street. His children recognized the danger he had become and took the car keys away for him - for good.

For Aging Drivers, the Signs Sometimes Say 'Stop'
By Jane E. Brody, The New York Times
December 6, 2005

Self-awareness is the key to driving safely in your later years. Note whether you feel overwhelmed by having to pay attention to signs, signals, road markings, pedestrians and other vehicles at intersections, or by having to drive at high speeds or in heavy traffic. Are you slow to notice cars coming out of driveways or side streets or when the vehicle in front of you slows down or stops suddenly?

Avoid distractions while driving, like eating, talking on the phone, listening to recorded books, engaging in emotionally draining discussions and disciplining children or pets. Stop in a safe place to take care of disturbances in your vehicle.

Adjust your driving by taking familiar routes, avoiding rush hours and night driving, keeping a safe distance (one car length for every 10 miles of speed) between you and the vehicle ahead, having a passenger serve as a second pair of eyes, making left turns where there are green-arrow signals (or making three right turns to go left) and looking as far down the road as possible to anticipate problems.

When driving in unfamiliar territory, use a map to plan your route in advance and write out the itinerary. Don't try to read a map while driving; pull off the road to refresh your memory or make route changes.

Make adjustments, too, in your vehicle. If you have physical limitations, choose a car with automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes. You may also benefit from a back or seat cushion or changes to the pedals. Your line of vision should be three or more inches above the steering wheel and you should not have to use your toes to operate the pedals.

Reduce or eliminate the driver's blind spot by adjusting your outside mirrors: Lean your head against the driver's side window and adjust the left mirror so that you can barely see the side of your car, then lean toward the middle of the vehicle and adjust the right mirror the same way.

Have your vision checked annually, including checks for glaucoma, cataracts and macular degeneration. Avoid glasses with arms that block peripheral vision, never wear sunglasses in low light, and do not use yellow glare-reducing lenses at night (they act like sunglasses). Always drive with a clean windshield, mirrors and headlights. Do not look at the blinding headlights of approaching vehicles; instead, glance toward the edge of the right side of the road.

When driving long distances, take frequent breaks - at least once every 100 miles or every two hours - to stretch, walk around and perhaps have a snack. Avoid driving after a big meal, when you feel sleepy or during hours when you are normally in bed.

Though you may deplore cellphone abuse, consider getting one for safety's sake. But use it only in emergencies and when you are not driving.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is from a paid subscription site and is the first of a two-part article by Jane Brody. As it is quite lengthy, I have only included that portion of the article where advice is given to elderly drivers. If you subscribe to the NYT online, it is well worth reading.

Adam's Apple said:
I never read articles like this but I think of my grandpa. When he was 79, he entered his garage by the side door, got into his car, and backed out without first making sure the garage door was open. He also seemed to have trouble distinguishing the street from the sidewalk because he sometimes got his car on the sidewalk instead of on the street. His children recognized the danger he had become and took the car keys away for him - for good.

For Aging Drivers, the Signs Sometimes Say 'Stop'
By Jane E. Brody, The New York Times
December 6, 2005

Self-awareness is the key to driving safely in your later years. Note whether you feel overwhelmed by having to pay attention to signs, signals, road markings, pedestrians and other vehicles at intersections, or by having to drive at high speeds or in heavy traffic. Are you slow to notice cars coming out of driveways or side streets or when the vehicle in front of you slows down or stops suddenly?

Avoid distractions while driving, like eating, talking on the phone, listening to recorded books, engaging in emotionally draining discussions and disciplining children or pets. Stop in a safe place to take care of disturbances in your vehicle.

Adjust your driving by taking familiar routes, avoiding rush hours and night driving, keeping a safe distance (one car length for every 10 miles of speed) between you and the vehicle ahead, having a passenger serve as a second pair of eyes, making left turns where there are green-arrow signals (or making three right turns to go left) and looking as far down the road as possible to anticipate problems.

When driving in unfamiliar territory, use a map to plan your route in advance and write out the itinerary. Don't try to read a map while driving; pull off the road to refresh your memory or make route changes.

Make adjustments, too, in your vehicle. If you have physical limitations, choose a car with automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes. You may also benefit from a back or seat cushion or changes to the pedals. Your line of vision should be three or more inches above the steering wheel and you should not have to use your toes to operate the pedals.

Reduce or eliminate the driver's blind spot by adjusting your outside mirrors: Lean your head against the driver's side window and adjust the left mirror so that you can barely see the side of your car, then lean toward the middle of the vehicle and adjust the right mirror the same way.

Have your vision checked annually, including checks for glaucoma, cataracts and macular degeneration. Avoid glasses with arms that block peripheral vision, never wear sunglasses in low light, and do not use yellow glare-reducing lenses at night (they act like sunglasses). Always drive with a clean windshield, mirrors and headlights. Do not look at the blinding headlights of approaching vehicles; instead, glance toward the edge of the right side of the road.

When driving long distances, take frequent breaks - at least once every 100 miles or every two hours - to stretch, walk around and perhaps have a snack. Avoid driving after a big meal, when you feel sleepy or during hours when you are normally in bed.

Though you may deplore cellphone abuse, consider getting one for safety's sake. But use it only in emergencies and when you are not driving.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is from a paid subscription site and is the first of a two-part article by Jane Brody. As it is quite lengthy, I have only included that portion of the article where advice is given to elderly drivers. If you subscribe to the NYT online, it is well worth reading.

My 78 year old mother is beginning to realize her driving limitations and is particularly concerned about making left hand turns. I think she can get any where in Colorado Springs now by making only right hand turns. Good idea but you better not let her give you directions !

If I had the ability to revoke driving privileges on the spot I bet traffic congestion would go down 50%. MOST people aren't good drivers, no matter what their traffic accident/speeding ticket record shows.

I think that since driving is a priviledge, not a right, there should be a mandatory road test completed by a physical & mental exam by an independent doctor, in order for older people to keep their licenses. Now the problem is, what age do we start this? I would want to say, at whatever age most ailments start to set in, but since it is different for every person, that probably won't work. Maybe a standard age of 60? If the person has a history of a condition say, heart problems, or something that might cause them to lose consciousness at any given moment, then they have to have the dr. write them off saying they maintain their condition exceptionally well, either by meds or other means, and because of that, they are at less of a risk for complications.

I have seen TOO MANY news reports of diabetics going into shock while driving, and they either end up dead, or kill someone else. I am not saying they shouldn't drive, but they are a greater risk than healthy drivers.

Just this morning, there was a report of a 65yo guy who was diabetic, who got on 35W, going the wrong way (northbound in the southbound lane), and he went into diabetic shock, and the car he hit, had a mom and a 10yo boy in it. They both died, but the guy lived. He not only did not have a mental capacity to be on the correct side of the freeway, his health condition caused 2 deaths.

I have seen too many older people driving 50mph in a 70 zone (in good dry conditions mind you), in the fast lane. They are more likely to get in an accident or cause one than someone actually doing 70-75. Why on earth do these people think they need to go that slow? If they don't want to drive at least the speed limit on the freeways, and at least be in the right lane, then take the side roads and leave the freeway to people who actually use it like you're supposed to.

Driving...we have turned it into everything but getting from one place to the other.

People with the money to buy vehicles that shouldn't even be allowed off of a racetrack have always been a traffic risk, twerps that think they can handle a car that is way above their ability to control are a bigger problem than older people driving too slow. I saw a difference in the risk idiots were taking immediately after "The Fast and The Furious" came out. How many asswipes have I witnessed doing 100+ in the right lane? The mistakes older people make are negligible compared to the young who now watch DVDs, gab on the phone, play with their friends, eat and fool with their hair while driving vehicles that they aren't qualified to drive down the block. Even worse are those that have messed with their suspensions to get a silly look or drive mechanical shit and still think they can drive like the racers they see on the track or in movies.

Cars that can reach 60 miles an hour in 4 seconds? 6 seconds? Do we really need that kind of acceleration being attempted by kids with poor self esteem and small dicks? How about the middle aged rich boy trying to get some respect by buying a car that he shouldn't be allowed to sit in. At least the dufusses that drive rice rocket motorcycles are mainly just killing themselves, kind of thinning the herd of dumbasses.

The risk of anyone, no matter the ability or training, of going 90 + miles an hour on any highway is huge. . . multiply that by 1000 for inexperienced clowns that think they can buy skill and ability.

The problems associated with the rediculously large, poor handling, heavy weight disasters known as SUVs are even worse. I grew up in a family of 8, we had an Oldsmobile stationwagon that fit all off us as we would trek across the U.S. to Grandma's house every summer. It was a boat and yet it would be dwarfed by the rolling living rooms the insecure feel they have to pilot around town. High center of gravity, large powerful engines, giant tall sidewall tires and a feeling like you are sitting in your easy chair watching a "driving" movie while talking on a phone spells a disaster waiting to happen. these bohemiths are not safer, they can't maneuver well enough to avoid the typical crap that happens constantly on the road. Add the phone, TV, eating and multiple other distractions that are available and you are a wreck waiting to happen. Then of course is the outragious waste of natural resources needed to power the single soccer mom on her trek to HEB in this rolling box that could sleep 100 vietnamese.

Of course you have the right to be an ass in America and waste resources, it's the American way. We are a country that is increasingly populated with possers that feel that whatever inadequacies we feel will disappear if we drive the right type of vehicle. We have always had this identity problem, it has just become much worse with all of the new distractions that didn't even exist a few decades ago. It has really become pathetic to watch.

Come on Darrin and Clay, I know you guys are going to jump on me for these views but we all know they are true. I'm looking at it from a perspective of having been there a long time ago and having survived taking stupid chances in equally silly cars, it is much worse now than when I drove a sports car. The streets aren't the controlled environment of a racetrack and the other drivers around you probably aren't paying attention, it is insane to drive fast and that is the truth.

sitarro said:
Driving...we have turned it into everything but getting from one place to the other.

People with the money to buy vehicles that shouldn't even be allowed off of a racetrack have always been a traffic risk, twerps that think they can handle a car that is way above their ability to control are a bigger problem than older people driving too slow. I saw a difference in the risk idiots were taking immediately after "The Fast and The Furious" came out. How many asswipes have I witnessed doing 100+ in the right lane? The mistakes older people make are negligible compared to the young who now watch DVDs, gab on the phone, play with their friends, eat and fool with their hair while driving vehicles that they aren't qualified to drive down the block. Even worse are those that have messed with their suspensions to get a silly look or drive mechanical shit and still think they can drive like the racers they see on the track or in movies.

Cars that can reach 60 miles an hour in 4 seconds? 6 seconds? Do we really need that kind of acceleration being attempted by kids with poor self esteem and small dicks? How about the middle aged rich boy trying to get some respect by buying a car that he shouldn't be allowed to sit in. At least the dufusses that drive rice rocket motorcycles are mainly just killing themselves, kind of thinning the herd of dumbasses.

The risk of anyone, no matter the ability or training, of going 90 + miles an hour on any highway is huge. . . multiply that by 1000 for inexperienced clowns that think they can buy skill and ability.

The problems associated with the rediculously large, poor handling, heavy weight disasters known as SUVs are even worse. I grew up in a family of 8, we had an Oldsmobile stationwagon that fit all off us as we would trek across the U.S. to Grandma's house every summer. It was a boat and yet it would be dwarfed by the rolling living rooms the insecure feel they have to pilot around town. High center of gravity, large powerful engines, giant tall sidewall tires and a feeling like you are sitting in your easy chair watching a "driving" movie while talking on a phone spells a disaster waiting to happen. these bohemiths are not safer, they can't maneuver well enough to avoid the typical crap that happens constantly on the road. Add the phone, TV, eating and multiple other distractions that are available and you are a wreck waiting to happen. Then of course is the outragious waste of natural resources needed to power the single soccer mom on her trek to HEB in this rolling box that could sleep 100 vietnamese.

Of course you have the right to be an ass in America and waste resources, it's the American way. We are a country that is increasingly populated with possers that feel that whatever inadequacies we feel will disappear if we drive the right type of vehicle. We have always had this identity problem, it has just become much worse with all of the new distractions that didn't even exist a few decades ago. It has really become pathetic to watch.

Come on Darrin and Clay, I know you guys are going to jump on me for these views but we all know they are true. I'm looking at it from a perspective of having been there a long time ago and having survived taking stupid chances in equally silly cars, it is much worse now than when I drove a sports car. The streets aren't the controlled environment of a racetrack and the other drivers around you probably aren't paying attention, it is insane to drive fast and that is the truth.

I agree....! :thup:

sitarro said:

No arguments there - however, I'd say 75% of current drivers shouldn't be allowed on the streets. Drivers should be required to pay for, and attend, AND graduate something akin to Skip Barber. Also, Drivers should have to do at least ONE track day/Driver Ed day every 2 years to keep their license. I'm unsure what 'silly looking suspensions' have to do with drivers not paying attention to what they are doing. Lost me on that one.

I wish my car could reach 60 mph in 4 seconds. You raised a question though...'do we need'. Of course not...unless you're being chased by a group of thugs in a car that takes FIVE seconds to reach 60mph. ;)

That's not exactly true. Going 90mph on an empty freeway at noon is completely safe, assuming the car is in good shape. Trying to go 90, or even 40mph in some circumstances on a crowded freeway can be deadly,however.

SUVs aren't the problem. I'm for freedom. Everyone should drive what they can afford to drive. That said, see my comments re: driver education days? ;) My wife's F150 can take 50mph on-ramps at 75mph sometimes...wide sticky tires help...so does my m@d Sk|llz behind the wheel.

Very off-topic - but I appreciate your energy in that paragraph! :)

Come on Darin and Clay, I know you guys are going to jump on me for these views but we all know they are true. I'm looking at it from a perspective of having been there a long time ago and having survived taking stupid chances in equally silly cars, it is much worse now than when I drove a sports car. The streets aren't the controlled environment of a racetrack and the other drivers around you probably aren't paying attention, it is insane to drive fast and that is the truth.

You must be an 'old guy'. :)

When was the last time a kid mistakenly stepped on the gas instead of the brake pedal? ;)

Oh yeah - for good measure:

attachment.php

:D

sitarro said:

Are you callin' my car silly? :bat:

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
In addition to D's comments, I'd like to add that if lane rules were actually enforced, that would cut down immensely on traffic problems. If you want to drive slow, drive slow, out of everyone else's way. If you need to pass someone who is going even slower than you, you need to wait until there is enough room in the next lane to pass him, or you need to speed up so that you don't slow down traffic to the left of you. When people pull into a gap between a lane of cars going 10mph faster than they are, and refuse to speed up, that's absolutely maddening. Either speed up, or don't pass; you don't have the right to slow the rest of us down. If you don't want to drive the speed of traffic, then you can enjoy sitting behind every 18 wheeler.

That being said, if slow pokes in the left lanes were to be penalized, than the idiots that I see weaving through traffic through the right lanes and all of that would get it too.

Driving would be much safer if you always knew that you would only be passed on your left, and never on your right. But, then that would be logical, and heaven forbid if that permeated into the situation...

My example for this working is truckers. Have you ever been on a trucking route at 3 in the morning? I was driving down 75, in the mountains of Kentucky, and at 3 in the morning when it's only truckers out there, they all travel at 80-90mph, because they all know how to drive. They all only pass each other on the left, and they all understand the common courtesy that driving is not a solitary activity.

dmp said:

When was the last time a kid mistakenly stepped on the gas instead of the brake pedal? ;)
Funny, I never had a call for an ole fart hitting the gas instead of the brake.

I did have a call for a 19 year old that flipped his Jeep, was ejected and died of massive head trauma.

Then another 19 year old passenger with a 17 year old driver that tried to past on a curve and had a head-on. The passenger was killed along with the other driver and two of his 3 passengers.

Then….well you get it, I hope. I never picked up an ole fart from an accident scene.

dmp said:
Oh yeah - for good measure:

attachment.php

How can you drive a car that small, with a top that doesn't come off and when is Mazda going to get some guys back behind the drawing board instead of the lady designers they are obviously employing now. :teeth:kidding...

Glad to see you on a unoccupied course getting rid of some of that race driver frustration. It is obvious from your love of your car and motorcycle that you take driving seriously and practice maneuvers that are useful to avoid others. That is the variable that makes driving so hazardous. . . the others around you.

sitarro said:
How can you drive a car that small, with a top that doesn't come off and when is Mazda going to get some guys back behind the drawing board instead of the lady designers they are obviously employing now. :teeth:kidding...

Glad to see you on a unoccupied course getting rid of some of that race driver frustration. It is obvious from your love of your car and motorcycle that you take driving seriously and practice maneuvers that are useful to avoid others. That is the variable that makes driving so hazardous. . . the others around you.

Oh rest assured the track was occupied - but we all were paying attention. :)

I'd like to start a new term: Strategic Driving. Defensive driving can be reactionary - reacting to the actions of those around you. I say, drive strategically. One can approximate where one will be several lane-changes-from now. Watch traffic around you - if you notice a guy driving very slow, or a guy who won't change lanes because of fear, KEEP AWAY from them - they are dangerous. Speed up a bit to get around him/her. If you see a left lane camper, to NOT get stuck behind them. They are dangerous and should be avoided. Speeding is good if it keeps you safe. I KNOW beyond the shadow of a doubt the average car driven by a dumbass can go as SLOW as my car can...not too many can go as fast. Thus, I speed when it keeps me from being locked into a 'pack of cars', to avoid indescisive drivers (mental image: the guy who STOPS at the end of the on-ramp to wait for NO car in sight before merging), or other road hazzards.

:)

Sorta. And stuff.

P.S. I drive a larger car like the car I have (It's the largest car I've owned which wasn't a 'truck'.) because I couldn't fit the kids in my Miata. :(

dmp said:
Oh rest assured the track was occupied - but we all were paying attention. :)

I'd like to start a new term: Strategic Driving. Defensive driving can be reactionary - reacting to the actions of those around you. I say, drive strategically. One can approximate where one will be several lane-changes-from now. Watch traffic around you - if you notice a guy driving very slow, or a guy who won't change lanes because of fear, KEEP AWAY from them - they are dangerous. Speed up a bit to get around him/her. If you see a left lane camper, to NOT get stuck behind them. They are dangerous and should be avoided. Speeding is good if it keeps you safe. I KNOW beyond the shadow of a doubt the average car driven by a dumbass can go as SLOW as my car can...not too many can go as fast. Thus, I speed when it keeps me from being locked into a 'pack of cars', to avoid indescisive drivers (mental image: the guy who STOPS at the end of the on-ramp to wait for NO car in sight before merging), or other road hazzards.

Sorta. And stuff.

P.S. I drive a larger car like the car I have (It's the largest car I've owned which wasn't a 'truck'.) because I couldn't fit the kids in my Miata. :(

Oh man, people who stop at on ramps. Shoot. Me. Now.

That, and people in the right most lane who will not merge over a lane, even when that lane is empty, to let you merge. They're probably the same person.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
The ClayTaurus said:
Oh man, people who stop at on ramps. Shoot. Me. Now.

That, and people in the right most lane who will not merge over a lane, even when that lane is empty, to let you merge. They're probably the same person.

Some ppl are just affraid. My wife was all 'gasp!!!' and 'ooooh!'...no, not during sex, but because I got the ass-end of her truck a little bit sideways in the snow.

"You were SLIDING!!" as if sliding has lead to world destruction. Sliding on purpose is generally okay... :)

dmp said:
Some ppl are just affraid. My wife was all 'gasp!!!' and 'ooooh!'...no, not during sex, but because I got the ass-end of her truck a little bit sideways in the snow.

"You were SLIDING!!" as if sliding has lead to world destruction. Sliding on purpose is generally okay... :)

Isn't that the point of RWD? I'm from Michigan, of course, so I grew up truly appreciating RWD in snow.

dmp said:
No arguments there - however, I'd say 75% of current drivers shouldn't be allowed on the streets. Drivers should be required to pay for, and attend, AND graduate something akin to Skip Barber. Also, Drivers should have to do at least ONE track day/Driver Ed day every 2 years to keep their license. I'm unsure what 'silly looking suspensions' have to do with drivers not paying attention to what they are doing. Lost me on that one.

When I said silly suspensions I was talking about the idiocy that low riders do to their cars.

dmp said:
I wish my car could reach 60 mph in 4 seconds. You raised a question though...'do we need'. Of course not...unless you're being chased by a group of thugs in a car that takes FIVE seconds to reach 60mph. ;)

Why, where are you going that you need to go 0-60 in 4 seconds. On a race track fine but on public highways that ability is not only a waste it is dangerous with 99% of the drivers on the road.

dmp said:
That's not exactly true. Going 90mph on an empty freeway at noon is completely safe, assuming the car is in good shape. Trying to go 90, or even 40mph in some circumstances on a crowded freeway can be deadly,however.

Have you ever seen what street tires look like at that speed?

dmp said:
SUVs aren't the problem. I'm for freedom. Everyone should drive what they can afford to drive. That said, see my comments re: driver education days? ;) My wife's F150 can take 50mph on-ramps at 75mph sometimes...wide sticky tires help...so does my m@d Sk|llz behind the wheel.

Yes, SUVs are a problem for a lot of reasons. They are impossible to see around if you are in a normal means of transportation. They tend to lull most of the people driving them into a zombie like state because of their size and comfort. The tremendous waste of fuel for a single passenger gives the Middle East and oil suppliers more power. The size of the vehicle gives the driver a false sense of invincebility especially over people in normal means of transportation(drivers of these think tailgating is a right). The lack of knowledge of physics by most of the people driving these top heavy poorly designed trucks makes a rollover much more likely. I'm all for freedom too, that doesn't stop me from looking at these marketing marvels and thinking . . . what an ass that is for following such a dildo fad. The only use for those things is for pulling a trailer or a boat. Carrying kids is better served by a van, much safer and economical.

dmp said:
Very off-topic - but I appreciate your energy in that paragraph! :)

Thanks.

dmp said:
You must be an 'old guy'. :)

Yes I am, I'm almost 52 and have seen my share of know alls wrapped around trees and turned into a slimmy mess on the asphalt, just trying to pass on some of my observations. I was young once and I am certainly guilty of a lot of the things that I have talked about, I have been very lucky. Driving an Austin Healey 3000 from New Orleans to Lafayette with the top down in Louisiana rain drunk on champagne, trying to get my jeep stuck in seriously muddy areas at 3 in the morning on acid, driving my jeep on Qualudes during Mardi Gras and running into the side of my house, driving stoned down I-70 on black ice in a white out in a 78 Buick Regal with bald tires. It is people like I used to be that I worry about in the car next to me.

dmp said:

My girlfriend in high school did that.

sitarro said:
When I said silly suspensions I was talking about the idiocy that low riders do to their cars.

Often lowered cars simply handle better - giving the driver MORE control of their car. :) It's not always for looks.

Why, where are you going that you need to go 0-60 in 4 seconds. On a race track fine but on public highways that ability is not only a waste it is dangerous with 99% of the drivers on the road.

As i said, if I'm running from somebody whose car can run to 60 in FIVE seconds, I'll have a head start. It's not about NEED with performance cars...it's about 'desire'.

Have you ever seen what street tires look like at that speed?

Yup - they look very much like this, although I was only going 75mph.

miatawheel1a.jpg

Yes, SUVs are a problem for a lot of reasons. They are impossible to see around if you are in a normal means of transportation.

Don't blame the SUV - blame 'yourself'. If you can't see around a vehicle in front of you, align your car differently within your lane. I learned this while commuting 500 miles a week in my miata. I learned to watch for the glare of brake lights on the median barriers. I learned to watch the back end of the car/truck in front of me. If it rises, they are slowing. Is it the fault of my house, or the bird who didn't see it?

They tend to lull most of the people driving them into a zombie like state because of their size and comfort.

People who can be lulled by an SUV can be lulled by ANY car.

The tremendous waste of fuel for a single passenger gives the Middle East and oil suppliers more power.

I'd argue SUVs are more efficient - often, they can carry SEVEN or more people. More people/cargo transported per trip. For my RX8 to carry 7 people, I'd have to make two trips. Two trips at 18mpg is worse than ONE trip at 12mpg

The size of the vehicle gives the driver a false sense of invincebility especially over people in normal means of transportation(drivers of these think tailgating is a right).

Says who? I don't know anyone who feels invincible. You're speculating and adding drama for effect, sir.

The lack of knowledge of physics by most of the people driving these top heavy poorly designed trucks makes a rollover much more likely.

More likely than what? Roll overs are the cause of people being stupid. "OMG! My tire blew! I'd better flip this sommbitch!"

Of COURSE Physics comes into play. Physics isn't the cause of roll overs. Roll overs happen because people aren't paying attention. For instance:

SUV in Middle lane. Crazy guy in GEO passes on the right, cutting off the SUV. The SUV has to swerve hard and because people buy Tires based on DURABILITY not TRACTION, the tires give way, the SUV slides...hits the Median, and flips.

Don't blame the SUV.

I'm all for freedom too, that doesn't stop me from looking at these marketing marvels and thinking . . . what an ass that is for following such a dildo fad. The only use for those things is for pulling a trailer or a boat. Carrying kids is better served by a van, much safer and economical.

How can you argue Vans are safer? My wife's F150 SuperCrew is MUCH stronger - MUCH more able to withstand an imact than the typical minivan. It's higher. The steel frame would deflect the force sideways. Plus...have you EVER tried to clean pea gravel out of a mini-van carpet?? My brother's Town and Country Minivan gets 15mpg. Our truck gets as good as 14mpg, AND goes thru mud like nobody's business... :D

Yes I am, I'm almost 52...My girlfriend in high school did that.

:bs: Cars weren't around when you were in Highschool.

:tng: :usa: :thanks:

dmp said:
Don't blame the SUV - blame 'yourself'. If you can't see around a vehicle in front of you, align your car differently within your lane. I learned this while commuting 500 miles a week in my miata. I learned to watch for the glare of brake lights on the median barriers. I learned to watch the back end of the car/truck in front of me. If it rises, they are slowing. Is it the fault of my house, or the bird who didn't see it?
Umm, yes. More people need to understand what you just said.

Forum List

Back