Minority kids are stupid

This. It's a conservative talking point. I say this as a conservative.
Yes, it's the Republican war on education. If you don't like education because you don't get to preach creation science and you are threatened by science then you trash education.

The government is the enemy too. Forget the fact that it's our government. Ignore that the problem is rich people own our government. Never mind all that. Just say the government is the enemy. That's as much as Republicans can understand. Any more explanation goes over their heads.

Scientists are the enemy too. Not the corporate polluters.. It's the scientists who are lying.

And progressive liberals and unions who created the middle class are the enemy too not the corporations who sent their jobs overseas.

And illegals are the problem, not immigrants but employers.
No such thing as a war on education. That's just another libstain lie. Education has been going down the toilet for decades. Libstains are destroying it.
See how they do everyone? I don’t see sweetsue92 or unkotare arguing with you so I’m going to assume they agree with you. Unless they challenge you
Not all the teachers are bad. I refer to the system in general. Flash back to the 90's when we were called to my sons school and told that we had to sign papers so the school could get my kid on Ritalin. Why we asked? Because he wont keep his desk neat. Wtf? I told this teacher that she should see his room. Now at 38, he's neat, responsible, married, employed, etc.

This is how it always goes.

"The system sucks because I had one real egghead" rinse and repeat

Also, even in the 90s it was unlawful for the school to "get your kids on Ritalin". It's unlawful for us to even suggest this. What probably happened is they wanted to refer your son for a Special Ed Eval, and you took that to mean "they want him on Ritalin". Is that more like it?
And of course the teacher did not suggest this only because the kid's desk was messy. It's just more of mike's way of lying about the education system and anything else he suspects of being in anyway left leaning.

When it comes to education, it appears that one end of the spectrum would like to see Bible study interspersed between Sean Hannity podcasts, and the other end would like to see sensitivity training interspersed between microaggression awareness meetings.

For our kid's sake, and for our country's sake, I'm so happy schools like my daughter's exist.

No you're getting challenged and so resorted to politics.
Sure, wingers are very consistent. Left wingers are desperate to keep standards & expectations low for minorities and hate charter schools, Right wingers are on this bizarro anti-education, anti-intelligence thing. Each of them have their little piece of turf to protect. It's all coming out on this thread, clear as a bell. Politics poisons everything.

Meanwhile, the kids are kicking ass, showing that skin color is irrelevant and that maintaining standards & expectations can yield fantastic results.

Outstanding. And funny.
The truth lies somewhere in between.

Minorities do score lower than whites on act’s and sat’s. Even middle class two parent home black kids score lower than whites. In fact blacks score on average about the same as low income whites. Some say those tests are bias but it has to be more than that. They say the difference might be how black parents interact with their kids vs. how white parents parent their kids. Also I bet pre school factors into it.

I used to not want private school parents shouldn’t get a tax break for sending their kids to private school because it would hurt public schools but no I’m all for people who don’t use public schools getting a tax break.
I don't believe the IQ test scores are organic, i.e., that external influences have nothing to do with them. I think there is a cultural element at play as well, that effects a child from the day they're born.

I forget the exact number, but I've read that low-income children entering kindergarten have heard a FAR smaller range of words than other children. They're starting off in a hole because their vocabularies are significantly smaller. It's also less likely they've been read to or intellectually challenged. My daughter sees this all the time, five year old kids who are dropped off at her class door not knowing ANY numbers, ANY letters. That's one of MANY examples. And clearly, the culture in which a child grows is going to influence their thought patterns.

And I see the very same dynamics in the extended portions of my own mixed-race family.

I'd like to see more apples to apples comparisons.
30 million words by age 3, Mac.

Yes, it's the Republican war on education. If you don't like education because you don't get to preach creation science and you are threatened by science then you trash education.

The government is the enemy too. Forget the fact that it's our government. Ignore that the problem is rich people own our government. Never mind all that. Just say the government is the enemy. That's as much as Republicans can understand. Any more explanation goes over their heads.

Scientists are the enemy too. Not the corporate polluters.. It's the scientists who are lying.

And progressive liberals and unions who created the middle class are the enemy too not the corporations who sent their jobs overseas.

No such thing as a war on education. That's just another libstain lie. Education has been going down the toilet for decades. Libstains are destroying it.
See how they do everyone? I don’t see sweetsue92 or unkotare arguing with you so I’m going to assume they agree with you. Unless they challenge you
Not all the teachers are bad. I refer to the system in general. Flash back to the 90's when we were called to my sons school and told that we had to sign papers so the school could get my kid on Ritalin. Why we asked? Because he wont keep his desk neat. Wtf? I told this teacher that she should see his room. Now at 38, he's neat, responsible, married, employed, etc.

Also, even in the 90s it was unlawful for the school to "get your kids on Ritalin". It's unlawful for us to even suggest this. What probably happened is they wanted to refer your son for a Special Ed Eval, and you took that to mean "they want him on Ritalin". Is that more like it?
And of course the teacher did not suggest this only because the kid's desk was messy. It's just more of mike's way of lying about the education system and anything else he suspects of being in anyway left leaning.
Not lying liar, I was there you were not.

I'll say it again:

It's not about what they are actually learning at that age. It's about teaching them how to learn.

It's about exercising their minds from different directions. Giving them lots of positive feedback. Constantly. Showing them they can do it.

That's the point. That's what this is all about. I would think that's huge.

If that's not good enough for you, then sorry.
My nephews go to the most expensive private school in the state. Lots of pressure and homework. High expectations when you are paying $25K a year per kid. You can get into Harvard going to this school.

My brother became a VP of a fortune 500 company not because of public high school but in spite of it. He struggled his first year at MSU and I struggled my first year at EMU. I/We didn't know how to study. Not like you have to study in college. 5 classes a semester kind of studying. It wasn't easy to learn.

What is the difference between their private education and our public education? When they go to college it's going to be easier than high school was for them. But for us public school kids, it's tough figuring it all out on our own when we go to college. We were not prepared. The unkotares and sweetsue92's failed us.

And a lot of us thought we were smart because we got A's and B's in our public schools. Those A's are private school B's. And our B's are their C's.

I know that school, I know people who teach there, and I have observed at that school. I can tell you and every poster here that the idea of writing in cursive in kindergarten and memorizing the Gettysburg address in kindergarten would be roundly laughed out the door even at the "top private school in the state". Because, again, it's not actual rigor.
My nephew didn’t go to that school until they came back from Switzerland. Before they went to Switzerland for four years they went to Montessori.

I asked my teacher friend about what we are talking about. Of course I didn’t tell her what a jerk I’ve been on the subject but she said there is nothing you guys can do about unmotivated kids. You simply have to deal with them and focus more on the ones who are motivated. And too often you’re busy dealing with the most troubled kids.

The reason they didn’t do public school in elementary is they live in Dearborn, mi. My brother wasn’t going to send them to a majority Muslim kids school. We went to an all black school in Detroit till 4th and 5th grade. It was not fun.
As a kid I lived in S. Chicago.
You think Detroit was "not fun"?
Detroit was Disneyland. S.C. schools were fucking Darfur civil war zones by comparison! They still are only more twelve year olds are being shot now by other twelve year olds over a pair of looted Air Jordans.

You are probably right but consider this. I was one of the only three whites in my all black school in the mid 70s. Blacks were not happy then.

Also the year we moved the Detroit news came out with the top ten most dangerous schools in Detroit. 1-9 were highschools. Number ten was my middle school. They put the principal in the hospital. They would do raids on lockers and find guns.
When it comes to education, it appears that one end of the spectrum would like to see Bible study interspersed between Sean Hannity podcasts, and the other end would like to see sensitivity training interspersed between microaggression awareness meetings.

For our kid's sake, and for our country's sake, I'm so happy schools like my daughter's exist.

Sure, wingers are very consistent. Left wingers are desperate to keep standards & expectations low for minorities and hate charter schools, Right wingers are on this bizarro anti-education, anti-intelligence thing. Each of them have their little piece of turf to protect. It's all coming out on this thread, clear as a bell. Politics poisons everything.

Meanwhile, the kids are kicking ass, showing that skin color is irrelevant and that maintaining standards & expectations can yield fantastic results.

Outstanding. And funny.

Minorities do score lower than whites on act’s and sat’s. Even middle class two parent home black kids score lower than whites. In fact blacks score on average about the same as low income whites. Some say those tests are bias but it has to be more than that. They say the difference might be how black parents interact with their kids vs. how white parents parent their kids. Also I bet pre school factors into it.

I used to not want private school parents shouldn’t get a tax break for sending their kids to private school because it would hurt public schools but no I’m all for people who don’t use public schools getting a tax break.
I don't believe the IQ test scores are organic, i.e., that external influences have nothing to do with them. I think there is a cultural element at play as well, that effects a child from the day they're born.

I forget the exact number, but I've read that low-income children entering kindergarten have heard a FAR smaller range of words than other children. They're starting off in a hole because their vocabularies are significantly smaller. It's also less likely they've been read to or intellectually challenged. My daughter sees this all the time, five year old kids who are dropped off at her class door not knowing ANY numbers, ANY letters. That's one of MANY examples. And clearly, the culture in which a child grows is going to influence their thought patterns.

And I see the very same dynamics in the extended portions of my own mixed-race family.

Even Scalia stated that affirmative action put too high academic expectations on negro students who did not have the IQs to come close to succeeding even in community colleges.
Just telling it like it is.

My nephews go to the most expensive private school in the state. Lots of pressure and homework. High expectations when you are paying $25K a year per kid. You can get into Harvard going to this school.

My brother became a VP of a fortune 500 company not because of public high school but in spite of it. He struggled his first year at MSU and I struggled my first year at EMU. I/We didn't know how to study. Not like you have to study in college. 5 classes a semester kind of studying. It wasn't easy to learn.

What is the difference between their private education and our public education? When they go to college it's going to be easier than high school was for them. But for us public school kids, it's tough figuring it all out on our own when we go to college. We were not prepared. The unkotares and sweetsue92's failed us.

And a lot of us thought we were smart because we got A's and B's in our public schools. Those A's are private school B's. And our B's are their C's.

I know that school, I know people who teach there, and I have observed at that school. I can tell you and every poster here that the idea of writing in cursive in kindergarten and memorizing the Gettysburg address in kindergarten would be roundly laughed out the door even at the "top private school in the state". Because, again, it's not actual rigor.
My nephew didn’t go to that school until they came back from Switzerland. Before they went to Switzerland for four years they went to Montessori.

I asked my teacher friend about what we are talking about. Of course I didn’t tell her what a jerk I’ve been on the subject but she said there is nothing you guys can do about unmotivated kids. You simply have to deal with them and focus more on the ones who are motivated. And too often you’re busy dealing with the most troubled kids.

The reason they didn’t do public school in elementary is they live in Dearborn, mi. My brother wasn’t going to send them to a majority Muslim kids school. We went to an all black school in Detroit till 4th and 5th grade. It was not fun.
Detroit was Disneyland. S.C. schools were fucking Darfur civil war zones by comparison! They still are only more twelve year olds are being shot now by other twelve year olds over a pair of looted Air Jordans.

You are probably right but consider this. I was one of the only three whites in my all black school in the mid 70s. Blacks were not happy then.

Also the year we moved the Detroit news came out with the top ten most dangerous schools in Detroit. 1-9 were highschools. Number ten was my middle school. They put the principal in the hospital. They would do raids on lockers and find guns.

Outstanding. And funny.

Even Scalia stated that affirmative action put too high academic expectations on negro students who did not have the IQs to come close to succeeding even in community colleges.
Maybe he was wrong.

Sure mike. I'm sure a lot of teachers suggest Ritalin for a messy desk. LOL

Outstanding. And funny.

I remember reading Scalia's comments on this, and he did not say black students couldn't succeed. He said something to the effect of accepting students into a college without the prerequisite academic skills could lead to disappointment and failure. That could apply to any student.

Outstanding. And funny.

Maybe he was wrong.
Check out the number of negroes who get into colleges even though they do have the requisite grades.
Compare that number with the number of negroes who end up leaving b/c their grades do not allow them to pass the tests.
But you keep pretending.

I was there and my wife was there, you were not.

Outstanding. And funny.

Outstanding. And funny.

Maybe he was wrong.
Check out the number of negroes who get into colleges even though they do have the requisite grades.
Compare that number with the number of negroes who end up leaving b/c their grades do not allow them to pass the tests.
But you keep pretending.
As if you have ever once looked at or analyzed that data. Just shut up already,ya fraud.

Teach also said the kid should be taken to see a physiologist and that he should be put on ritalin.

Outstanding. And funny.

Maybe he was wrong.
But you keep pretending.
As if you have ever once looked at or analyzed that data. Just shut up already,ya fraud.
I doubt you have the intelligence to understand the following article.
NOTE! It was NOT written by a bunch of 'White Supremacists'. Rather it was written by numerous serious unbiased academics.
The Sad Irony of Affirmative Action

Outstanding. And funny.

Maybe he was wrong.
But you keep pretending.
NOTE! It was NOT written by a bunch of 'White Supremacists'. Rather it was written by numerous serious unbiased academics.
She’s a right wing racist from what I could tell. Liberals want her removed from her position on civil rights.

She’s just a law professor. You tried to pass her off as mainstream thinking?

Let's go back to my comment about not being able to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. I had students who could do all of those things you mentioned, the first time I tested them. My final exams were simply questions selected from previous exams. I gave them study guides to show what was going to be on the test. My results were usually in excess of 60% failed. Those are the people you are trying to hire. They retain nothing for more than the time it takes to get past the test. The have a memory like a capacitor. You can charge a capacitor for months, but as soon as it discharges, there is nothing left!

Failing the final exam is never enough for them to keep from failing. My classes averaged a D on most days, and occasionally a C. You work with what you are given and no effort by the teachers will change it, because all my classes were the same as all of the other teachers teaching the same subject. Most of the time other teachers were trying to get their students to catch up to my students!
They don't remember it because they never understood the underlying reasons why it worked. Train a kid to subtract fractions like a trained monkey and they can do it as long as you keep reminding them, but as soon as they stop using it they will forget because they don't get what a fraction actually represents.
They need a lot more learning time and different methods. The public school system just doesn't have the time for that. It's all about spitting out workers as fast as possible.
I wish the government would get the hell out of education. The paperwork is overwhelming, along with the tomes of rules and guidelines and accountability horseshit.
Every teacher is using "motivational teaching" unless they absolutely suck, and then they should get out. That should be obvious.

I'd be very interested to follow these kids in the charter school and see how long it lasts. Or see if the charter school can retain teachers.
I have been trying to figure out why they are pushing them into 3rd grade skills like math and writing cursive at age 5. Does that mean that in 1st grade they are working at Grade 4 level? When do they graduate? Age 11?
I have read of a few charter schools that work with local community colleges and some high school students can actually graduate with an associates degree. That's the only reason I can think of to push the kids way beyond grade level.
You know what I wish schools would teach? What would need to be done if we lost all technology and had to start over.

How to survive in the wilderness.

How to make fire

How to make an engine.

Make electricity.

Find oil and metals.

Build a home.

Ride a horse.

Catch a horse.

Make plumbing, ice, guns, bullets.

No one knows all of these things. It’s why community is important.
You HAD to put guns and bullets in there, didn't you? I would hope that if we had to start over, there would be some people with good minds that might try to improve things the second time around. No guns and bullets would be a start.

Not sure why you’d prefer to be stabbed or bludgeoned to death.
... I might poke my fingers in your eyes and kill you, too. ...

You could try, but you would fail. However, if you shot me from 15 feet away, I like your chances.

They don't remember it because they never understood the underlying reasons why it worked. Train a kid to subtract fractions like a trained monkey and they can do it as long as you keep reminding them, but as soon as they stop using it they will forget because they don't get what a fraction actually represents.
They need a lot more learning time and different methods. The public school system just doesn't have the time for that. It's all about spitting out workers as fast as possible.
I wish the government would get the hell out of education. The paperwork is overwhelming, along with the tomes of rules and guidelines and accountability horseshit.
I have been trying to figure out why they are pushing them into 3rd grade skills like math and writing cursive at age 5. Does that mean that in 1st grade they are working at Grade 4 level? When do they graduate? Age 11?
I have read of a few charter schools that work with local community colleges and some high school students can actually graduate with an associates degree. That's the only reason I can think of to push the kids way beyond grade level.
You know what I wish schools would teach? What would need to be done if we lost all technology and had to start over.

How to survive in the wilderness.

How to make fire

How to make an engine.

Make electricity.

Find oil and metals.

Build a home.

Ride a horse.

Catch a horse.

Make plumbing, ice, guns, bullets.

No one knows all of these things. It’s why community is important.
You HAD to put guns and bullets in there, didn't you? I would hope that if we had to start over, there would be some people with good minds that might try to improve things the second time around. No guns and bullets would be a start.

Not sure why you’d prefer to be stabbed or bludgeoned to death.
... I might poke my fingers in your eyes and kill you, too. ...

You could try, but you would fail. However, if you shot me from 15 feet away, I like your chances.
We're getting farther and farther from my point.

Outstanding. And funny.

Maybe he was wrong.
But you keep pretending.
I am not going to read an article you never read and dont unserstand and then spoonfeed it back to you.

I'm not ruling out that in the early 90s when Ritalin first came out a really knuckleheaded teacher did this. But I know by the late 90s we were strictly forbidden from recommending meds to parents, for good reason.

She said it would be best for him to take it to help with his problems. He was just a normal child.

I will give you a counterexample. Student in my class third year of teaching, 1999. He could not sit still, constantly off task and disrupting class. He had straight Fs in math all through middle school and was socially promoted. His older sister came to my class one day to tell me that his mother had an appointment for him to seek help. The doctor put him on meds. Long story, short version is that he was changed kid. He became quiet attentive and his grades skyrocketed. He became the dream student overnight. He wound up graduating with honors and received scholarship offers to any college he wanted to attend.

Teach also said the kid should be taken to see a physiologist and that he should be put on ritalin.

As has been stated, teachers are barred by law from doing any such thing. Have a nice day! :D

That’s amazing... kudos to your daughter for doing an excellent job grooming our youth!

Sadly, that is the appropriate word when five year olds are learning the Gettysburg address and memorizing state capitols. "Grooming", not learning. Just memorizing and spewing, that's all. They cannot process that information. They do not understand how long ago one year was, let alone the Civil War. They do not understand how far away the next town is, let alone the next state.

Mac this is no remark on what kind of teacher your daughter is. She is probably having to teach in the iron grip of that Charter school and so it is. She is probably a phenomenal teacher. But that curriculum is not good for learning and ESPECIALLY not 21st century learning. I know that sounds like "liberal code buzz" or whatever but it's true. We don't need people who can memorize stuff that is meaningless to them.

We need people who can make meaning out of what was meaningless before. THAT take genius creativity. You don't get that by teaching five year olds the Gettysburg address.

I sense a terminal case of "charter school" envy here. Just because it doesn't fit the developmental models that your ed school pushed and the unions insist on..

It's a kick start for kids who CAN capitalize on the extra stimulation and does no HARM at that age for kids who aren't motivated by their early success..

As "they" say... Don't knock it til you've tried it and documented the results. And if there's one thing that American needs --- it IS results..

WTF is HEADSTART and PRE-K if NOT attempts to "jump-start" their little cranial engines?

You'd be dead wrong there. I'm a public school teacher but I don't belong to the NEA or my local union and I'm all in favor of charter schools, private schools, home schools or ANY schools if they work.

Is this better than nothing? Marginally. So you will see marginal results. And that is not based on "ed school" whatever. It's based on brain development, which is not "ed school"

Well sorry about that. You're more open-minded than your previous posts suggest.. Here's the amateur take-away -- although I've volunteered for Head Start, done a lot of GRE and middle/high school math/science tutoring, and taught 12 yr old Sunday School on families and dating.. The latter one was REALLY REALLY hard and that's why the ADULTS hired me as a college freshman/sophomore to do the "embarrassing stuff"... LOL...

Brain development is what the GOAL is here as I see it. You're making SOLID connections between the basic tasks of absorbing knowledge and the feeling of success. Gotz nothing to do with structured, layered knowledge of the topic..

I've seen a lot 12 yr olds who recite the Gettysburg Address and have NO INTENTION of retaining it or fully understand the meaning. I've seen "professionals" attempt to tackle sex education with primary grade curriculum. NEITHER of those things are gonna be successful as "comprehensive knowledge" of the topics. Especially true in the math mess that "ed schools" have created by INTIMIDATING kids to learn 5 ways to solve a math problem without stressing the ONE WAY --- that ALWAYS works EXACTLY. I've gotten kids out of jams where they got marked down for "approximating wrong" and no freaking idea how to get the EXACT answer..

So -- that's why I see no harm in building memorization skills, public addressing, and fun creative ways to use the tools of learning at any age.

My parents used to listen to a lot of Sinatra.. And I learned to sing a couple of tunes at about 8 yrs old. Parents used to take me to a corner Italian place where they knew a lot of people. Dad would give me a sip of beer and I'd wander down the rows of booths singing Volari in botched Italian.. Cracked everybody up and the owner would come out and sing with me. The fact that I remember the thrill of "entertaining" adults with that meaningless learning means it made an impression on me. And I ENJOYED school and learning. That's a lot of the battle right there...

PS -- neither me or the family was Italian... :113:

Forum List

Back