Minority kids are stupid

Then you should be able to explain or provide a link to somewhere that can explain what you are talking about.
Some are discussed here if you are interested. There are many more, and they’re at your fingertips if your curiosity moves you to learn about it.

In other words, you didn't watch that video, nor have you read much about it, nor could you give an informed summary in your own words.

And what’s his point? We are different. So what? Is that a reason not to vote the same?

His point his rather self evident. We. Are. Not. The. Same... The Equality/Diversity cult that chants such fallacious mantras as “there’s only one race; the human race”, or “we are all the same”... Are categorically, and demonstrably wrong. Worse still? Most of them know this and continue to knowingly repeat lies. And when ones “solutions to societies ills are founded on disinformation, and lies; these attempts at fruitful progress are doomed to fail.

You’re creepy. If we didn’t have different races you would divide us by eye color or hair. You’re not good hearted are you.

Much more so than those who sell lies; and set up their “customers” for failure. When sold “equality” and the end result doesn’t live up to the advertising... That leads them to believe instead that the reason is “muh racism”. Not the fact that they were sold a pack of lies, and that their so called benefactors knowingly tried to shoehorn them into a mold they knew damn well wouldn’t fit. Such people have no love, nor respect for actual diversity. They loathe it. They actually demy it’s very existence.

Also the year we moved the Detroit news came out with the top ten most dangerous schools in Detroit. 1-9 were highschools. Number ten was my middle school. They put the principal in the hospital. They would do raids on lockers and find guns
So glad I grew up in an all white school 60 miles from that hell hole

Last edited:
Expecting teachers to decide for kids what they want to do with their lives? Is that asking a bit much? THINK about it.
School did not used to be solely for the purpose of getting a job. Now it is. This whole push for EVERYONE to go to college or trade school after high school is silly when you think about why that is. It is because high school doesn't prepare you to make a living wage and doesn't teach the skills necessary to get on in life. But instead of improving the K-12 curriculum and standards, they push two years of a trade school or four years of college that costs $$$$ instead. Makes no sense for most people.

I am intrigued as to your reasoning. What skills do you believe are needed to make a living wage that are not taught in high school?
By "living wage" I am not talking about minimum wage jobs, Admiral. Although employers in our area are crying that the high school grads coming to them can't make change or read directions or have any concept of employability soft skills, like calling in if you can't show up, and not calling in twice a week, every week.
I teach college transitions and the math skills some of these kids have (or haven't) boggle even my mind--no concept of the meaning of a decimal point, how to figure the price of something that is 25% off, how to figure simple interest on a loan. Not even sure how to attack a word problem involving nothing but subtraction.

It is input from community employers and the admissions office at the local college, all screaming, that the kids aren't prepared. And I see it as we fill the potholes for kids who somehow got that diploma for apparently nothing but showing up and breathing.

Let's go back to my comment about not being able to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. I had students who could do all of those things you mentioned, the first time I tested them. My final exams were simply questions selected from previous exams. I gave them study guides to show what was going to be on the test. My results were usually in excess of 60% failed. Those are the people you are trying to hire. They retain nothing for more than the time it takes to get past the test. The have a memory like a capacitor. You can charge a capacitor for months, but as soon as it discharges, there is nothing left!

Failing the final exam is never enough for them to keep from failing. My classes averaged a D on most days, and occasionally a C. You work with what you are given and no effort by the teachers will change it, because all my classes were the same as all of the other teachers teaching the same subject. Most of the time other teachers were trying to get their students to catch up to my students!
They don't remember it because they never understood the underlying reasons why it worked. Train a kid to subtract fractions like a trained monkey and they can do it as long as you keep reminding them, but as soon as they stop using it they will forget because they don't get what a fraction actually represents.
They need a lot more learning time and different methods. The public school system just doesn't have the time for that. It's all about spitting out workers as fast as possible.
I wish the government would get the hell out of education. The paperwork is overwhelming, along with the tomes of rules and guidelines and accountability horseshit.
When it comes to education, it appears that one end of the spectrum would like to see Bible study interspersed between Sean Hannity podcasts, and the other end would like to see sensitivity training interspersed between microaggression awareness meetings.

For our kid's sake, and for our country's sake, I'm so happy schools like my daughter's exist.

Good for you! If ignorance is bliss, you should be very happy!
If y'all hadn't hollered at him so much about it, Mac might have listened to what all the teachers here are saying to him. I think Mac's reaction to the "95th percentile in the state" is a perfect example of why education in this country has gotten so screwed up. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the motivational style of teaching that Mac's daughter is using, and the children are obviously comfortable with it and excelling with it. But he is not able to hear that what they are insisting these kids learn for the sake of achieving those high scores is not based in solid pedagogy. It's all about the numbers, man. And non-educators sitting on school boards all over the country are making the same mistake.

It never ends.

Every teacher is using "motivational teaching" unless they absolutely suck, and then they should get out. That should be obvious.

I'd be very interested to follow these kids in the charter school and see how long it lasts. Or see if the charter school can retain teachers.
I have been trying to figure out why they are pushing them into 3rd grade skills like math and writing cursive at age 5. Does that mean that in 1st grade they are working at Grade 4 level? When do they graduate? Age 11?
I have read of a few charter schools that work with local community colleges and some high school students can actually graduate with an associates degree. That's the only reason I can think of to push the kids way beyond grade level.
You know what I wish schools would teach? What would need to be done if we lost all technology and had to start over.

How to survive in the wilderness.

How to make fire

How to make an engine.

Make electricity.

Find oil and metals.

Build a home.

Ride a horse.

Catch a horse.

Make plumbing, ice, guns, bullets.

No one knows all of these things. It’s why community is important.
You HAD to put guns and bullets in there, didn't you? I would hope that if we had to start over, there would be some people with good minds that might try to improve things the second time around. No guns and bullets would be a start.

I am intrigued as to your reasoning. What skills do you believe are needed to make a living wage that are not taught in high school?
By "living wage" I am not talking about minimum wage jobs, Admiral. Although employers in our area are crying that the high school grads coming to them can't make change or read directions or have any concept of employability soft skills, like calling in if you can't show up, and not calling in twice a week, every week.
I teach college transitions and the math skills some of these kids have (or haven't) boggle even my mind--no concept of the meaning of a decimal point, how to figure the price of something that is 25% off, how to figure simple interest on a loan. Not even sure how to attack a word problem involving nothing but subtraction.

It is input from community employers and the admissions office at the local college, all screaming, that the kids aren't prepared. And I see it as we fill the potholes for kids who somehow got that diploma for apparently nothing but showing up and breathing.

Let's go back to my comment about not being able to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. I had students who could do all of those things you mentioned, the first time I tested them. My final exams were simply questions selected from previous exams. I gave them study guides to show what was going to be on the test. My results were usually in excess of 60% failed. Those are the people you are trying to hire. They retain nothing for more than the time it takes to get past the test. The have a memory like a capacitor. You can charge a capacitor for months, but as soon as it discharges, there is nothing left!

Failing the final exam is never enough for them to keep from failing. My classes averaged a D on most days, and occasionally a C. You work with what you are given and no effort by the teachers will change it, because all my classes were the same as all of the other teachers teaching the same subject. Most of the time other teachers were trying to get their students to catch up to my students!
They don't remember it because they never understood the underlying reasons why it worked. Train a kid to subtract fractions like a trained monkey and they can do it as long as you keep reminding them, but as soon as they stop using it they will forget because they don't get what a fraction actually represents.
They need a lot more learning time and different methods. The public school system just doesn't have the time for that. It's all about spitting out workers as fast as possible.
I wish the government would get the hell out of education. The paperwork is overwhelming, along with the tomes of rules and guidelines and accountability horseshit.
If y'all hadn't hollered at him so much about it, Mac might have listened to what all the teachers here are saying to him. I think Mac's reaction to the "95th percentile in the state" is a perfect example of why education in this country has gotten so screwed up. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the motivational style of teaching that Mac's daughter is using, and the children are obviously comfortable with it and excelling with it. But he is not able to hear that what they are insisting these kids learn for the sake of achieving those high scores is not based in solid pedagogy. It's all about the numbers, man. And non-educators sitting on school boards all over the country are making the same mistake.

It never ends.

Every teacher is using "motivational teaching" unless they absolutely suck, and then they should get out. That should be obvious.

I'd be very interested to follow these kids in the charter school and see how long it lasts. Or see if the charter school can retain teachers.
I have been trying to figure out why they are pushing them into 3rd grade skills like math and writing cursive at age 5. Does that mean that in 1st grade they are working at Grade 4 level? When do they graduate? Age 11?
I have read of a few charter schools that work with local community colleges and some high school students can actually graduate with an associates degree. That's the only reason I can think of to push the kids way beyond grade level.
You know what I wish schools would teach? What would need to be done if we lost all technology and had to start over.

How to make fire

How to make an engine.

Make electricity.

Find oil and metals.

Build a home.

Ride a horse.

Catch a horse.

You HAD to put guns and bullets in there, didn't you? I would hope that if we had to start over, there would be some people with good minds that might try to improve things the second time around. No guns and bullets would be a start.

Not sure why you’d prefer to be stabbed or bludgeoned to death.

Then you should be able to explain or provide a link to somewhere that can explain what you are talking about.
Some are discussed here if you are interested. There are many more, and they’re at your fingertips if your curiosity moves you to learn about it.

In other words, you didn't watch that video, nor have you read much about it, nor could you give an informed summary in your own words.

And what’s his point? We are different. So what? Is that a reason not to vote the same?

His point his rather self evident. We. Are. Not. The. Same... The Equality/Diversity cult that chants such fallacious mantras as “there’s only one race; the human race”, or “we are all the same”... Are categorically, and demonstrably wrong. Worse still? Most of them know this and continue to knowingly repeat lies. And when ones “solutions to societies ills are founded on disinformation, and lies; these attempts at fruitful progress are doomed to fail.

Wrong. Those of you on either extreme want to remind us constantly of the differences and obsess over race. Most of us do not. Simple as that.

It never ends.

How to make fire

How to make an engine.

Make electricity.

Find oil and metals.

Build a home.

Ride a horse.

Catch a horse.

Not sure why you’d prefer to be stabbed or bludgeoned to death.
There is something fair about being within arms reach of the person you are trying to kill. I might poke my fingers in your eyes and kill you, too. No such fair play when you stand 50 feet away and shoot me.

Mac, if your daughter is beyond, say, her third year of teaching--ask her what she thinks of having her students memorize the Gettysburg address and learn cursive at five years old. IOW if she could design any curriculum whatsoever, is this what she would be doing with her students?

Because I don't mean to disparage your daughter--again, she's probably under the thumb of some knucklehead admin. Sorry, Admiral. A good admin is worth their weight in pure gold, and I mean that. A bad one can completely derail your career and spends all of their time only covering for what a complete knucklehead they are. I have seen both.
As I've already pointed out, there is evidence that (a) learning things in different ways - not just memorizing, by the way, which I have never said - teaches different methods of approaching problems, and (2) learning within different subjects, such as math, music and history, stimulate the brain in the different ways. As I've pointed out, evidently learning cursive stimulates the brain in the same way as learning music.

So, learning different methods of thinking and using varying subjects is one heckuva way to pick stuff up.

Therefore, and I'll say it one last time, the actual individual facts they're spouting off are less of a priority for me than the fact that they are LEARNING how to THINK and LEARN in DIFFERENT WAYS at a VERY young age, and it will help them in the future. THAT is the bottom line here.

I don't require agreement here. I'm thrilled for the kids (skin color irrelevant, but important in this context), I'm thrilled for their low-income parents, and I'm terribly proud of my daughter. She's really making a difference. Would she do anything differently? I'm sure. But she also believes in this program because she sees the results first hand, every single day, in today's world, right now.

Last edited:

It never ends.

I would suspect it's for bragging rights. And listen, if charter schools actually produce quality education and great result, MORE POWER TO THEM. I'm not at all opposed. Whatever works for kids. But spewing rote memorization is not it. It's not learning; it's not understanding.
Well, it is learning, up to a point. We have to memorize the scaffolding to organize the information we are gong to receive in science, history, etc. But obviously it can be taken too far.

Of course, but the knowledge should be useful. As I said earlier. Memorizing the multiplication tables is useful, even critical. Likewise the alphabet (in Kind) and counting to 100 is a form of memorization. Again. Memorizing long passages of text which children cannot and do not even understand takes time away from other critical learning.

Mac, if your daughter is beyond, say, her third year of teaching--ask her what she thinks of having her students memorize the Gettysburg address and learn cursive at five years old. IOW if she could design any curriculum whatsoever, is this what she would be doing with her students?

Because I don't mean to disparage your daughter--again, she's probably under the thumb of some knucklehead admin. Sorry, Admiral. A good admin is worth their weight in pure gold, and I mean that. A bad one can completely derail your career and spends all of their time only covering for what a complete knucklehead they are. I have seen both.
As I've already pointed out, there is evidence that (a) learning things in different ways - not just memorizing, by the way, which I have never said - teaches different methods of approaching problems, and (2) learning within different subjects, such as math, music and history, stimulate the brain in the different ways.

So, learning different methods of thinking and using varying subjects is one heckuva way to pick stuff up.

Therefore, and I'll say it one last time, the actual individual facts they're spouting off are less of a priority for me than the fact that they are LEARNING how to THINK and LEARN in DIFFERENT WAYS at a VERY young age, and it will help them in the future. THAT is the bottom line here.

I don't require agreement here. I'm thrilled for the kids (skin color irrelevant), I'm thrilled for their low-income parents, and I'm terribly proud of my daughter. She's really making a difference. Would she do anything differently? I'm sure. But she also believes in this program because she sees the results first hand, every single day, in today's world, right now.

The fact that you think memorization is learning in a "different way" does not make it so, Mac. This is not about your daughter at all, who I'm sure as I've stated is a great teacher. That still does not make rote memorization of long texts appropriate for kindergarten. Nor does it make you capable of judging curriculum for kindergarten.

As I've already pointed out, there is evidence that (a) learning things in different ways - not just memorizing, by the way, which I have never said - teaches different methods of approaching problems, and (2) learning within different subjects, such as math, music and history, stimulate the brain in the different ways.

I don't require agreement here. I'm thrilled for the kids (skin color irrelevant), I'm thrilled for their low-income parents, and I'm terribly proud of my daughter. She's really making a difference. Would she do anything differently? I'm sure. But she also believes in this program because she sees the results first hand, every single day, in today's world, right now.

The fact that you think memorization is learning in a "different way" does not make it so, Mac. This is not about your daughter at all, who I'm sure as I've stated is a great teacher. That still does not make rote memorization of long texts appropriate for kindergarten. Nor does it make you capable of judging curriculum for kindergarten.
Great, you're right, thanks.

Yes it is amazing finding a teacher actually teaching kids something they need instead of brainwashing them.

The only brainwashing that takes place is that people like you think that brainwashing is occurring in every school in the country and in every classroom.

This. It's a conservative talking point. I say this as a conservative.
Yes, it's the Republican war on education. If you don't like education because you don't get to preach creation science and you are threatened by science then you trash education.

The government is the enemy too. Forget the fact that it's our government. Ignore that the problem is rich people own our government. Never mind all that. Just say the government is the enemy. That's as much as Republicans can understand. Any more explanation goes over their heads.

Scientists are the enemy too. Not the corporate polluters.. It's the scientists who are lying.

And progressive liberals and unions who created the middle class are the enemy too not the corporations who sent their jobs overseas.

And illegals are the problem, not immigrants but employers.
No such thing as a war on education. That's just another libstain lie. Education has been going down the toilet for decades. Libstains are destroying it.
See how they do everyone? I don’t see sweetsue92 or unkotare arguing with you so I’m going to assume they agree with you. Unless they challenge you
Not all the teachers are bad. I refer to the system in general. Flash back to the 90's when we were called to my sons school and told that we had to sign papers so the school could get my kid on Ritalin. Why we asked? Because he wont keep his desk neat. Wtf? I told this teacher that she should see his room. Now at 38, he's neat, responsible, married, employed, etc.

Dont worry, they will process it LATER.
There is no guarantee of that, and you're wasting time and brain space doing things that LOOK impressive, but aren't. It's the academic equivalent of riding a unicycle. Looks impressive but is a trick. Really. It's a trick.

Probably a third of them will use it in real life.

All of them will use it with advantage to learning more easily later as they continue their education in regular schools or private schools.

No education is ever wasted if it teaches truthful things.

Listen, I'm a conservative. If conservatives ever REALLY want to take back the culture, we've got to get better at this. We've got to understand that don't make smarter conservatives by cramming their brains full of the Gettysburg address at five years old.

Really.
Yeah! We should be cramming their brains with hard PRINCIPLES and the language we impart should be Ebonics. SS, you're surprisingly WRONG on this.

Really. What do you know about teaching kindergartners. I would guess not a darn thing.

Wrong. Those of you on either extreme want to remind us constantly of the differences and obsess over race. Most of us do not. Simple as that.

There’s a big difference between obsession, and recognition. And until you learn the difference; your efforts will continue to fail...

The only brainwashing that takes place is that people like you think that brainwashing is occurring in every school in the country and in every classroom.

Yes, it's the Republican war on education. If you don't like education because you don't get to preach creation science and you are threatened by science then you trash education.

The government is the enemy too. Forget the fact that it's our government. Ignore that the problem is rich people own our government. Never mind all that. Just say the government is the enemy. That's as much as Republicans can understand. Any more explanation goes over their heads.

Scientists are the enemy too. Not the corporate polluters.. It's the scientists who are lying.

And progressive liberals and unions who created the middle class are the enemy too not the corporations who sent their jobs overseas.

No such thing as a war on education. That's just another libstain lie. Education has been going down the toilet for decades. Libstains are destroying it.
See how they do everyone? I don’t see sweetsue92 or unkotare arguing with you so I’m going to assume they agree with you. Unless they challenge you
Not all the teachers are bad. I refer to the system in general. Flash back to the 90's when we were called to my sons school and told that we had to sign papers so the school could get my kid on Ritalin. Why we asked? Because he wont keep his desk neat. Wtf? I told this teacher that she should see his room. Now at 38, he's neat, responsible, married, employed, etc.

This is how it always goes.

"The system sucks because I had one real egghead" rinse and repeat

Also, even in the 90s it was unlawful for the school to "get your kids on Ritalin". It's unlawful for us to even suggest this. What probably happened is they wanted to refer your son for a Special Ed Eval, and you took that to mean "they want him on Ritalin". Is that more like it?

Of course, but the knowledge should be useful. A
And how,exactly, would we know which knowledge will be useful to a 12 year old, when that 12 year old reaches college or after.? What is most useful is the idea of learning how to learn and learning how to think rationally and using evidence. We have to teach our kids how to learn new information and apply it. For example, being able to reason through a mathematical problem based on newly learned principles is a skill that will translate to other things besides mathematics. So, though a person may never again need to determine the cosine of an angle after 10th grade, the skills learned in puzzling out the answer and incorporating newly learned concepts will stay with them for a lifetime.

There’s a big difference between obsession, and recognition. And until you learn the difference; your efforts will continue to fail...

Let's say, hypothetically, I accept your premise. Then my mindset would be, "Oh here are my dark-skinned students, who are dumb and can't learn well. So I will expend much less effort on them."

Hmmm. Nope. Thoroughly rejected. Rejected from my faith. I realize you don't have that. It's fine; go your way, and I will gratefully go mine.

This is how it always goes.

"The system sucks because I had one real egghead" rinse and repeat

Also, even in the 90s it was unlawful for the school to "get your kids on Ritalin". It's unlawful for us to even suggest this. What probably happened is they wanted to refer your son for a Special Ed Eval, and you took that to mean "they want him on Ritalin". Is that more like it?
She said it would be best for him to take it to help with his problems. He was just a normal child.

Just compare neil degrasse tyson to this goober vastator, and it's easy to understand why vastator is a fool and why all kids deserve the same opportunities.

When it comes to education, it appears that one end of the spectrum would like to see Bible study interspersed between Sean Hannity podcasts, and the other end would like to see sensitivity training interspersed between microaggression awareness meetings.

For our kid's sake, and for our country's sake, I'm so happy schools like my daughter's exist.

No you're getting challenged and so resorted to politics.
Sure, wingers are very consistent. Left wingers are desperate to keep standards & expectations low for minorities and hate charter schools, Right wingers are on this bizarro anti-education, anti-intelligence thing. Each of them have their little piece of turf to protect. It's all coming out on this thread, clear as a bell. Politics poisons everything.

Meanwhile, the kids are kicking ass, showing that skin color is irrelevant and that maintaining standards & expectations can yield fantastic results.

Outstanding. And funny.
The truth lies somewhere in between.

Minorities do score lower than whites on act’s and sat’s. Even middle class two parent home black kids score lower than whites. In fact blacks score on average about the same as low income whites. Some say those tests are bias but it has to be more than that. They say the difference might be how black parents interact with their kids vs. how white parents parent their kids. Also I bet pre school factors into it.

I used to not want private school parents shouldn’t get a tax break for sending their kids to private school because it would hurt public schools but no I’m all for people who don’t use public schools getting a tax break.
I don't believe the IQ test scores are organic, i.e., that external influences have nothing to do with them. I think there is a cultural element at play as well, that affects a child from the day they're born.

I forget the exact number, but I've read that low-income children entering kindergarten have heard a FAR smaller range of words than other children. They're starting off in a hole because their vocabularies are significantly smaller. It's also less likely they've been read to or intellectually challenged. My daughter sees this all the time, five year old kids who are dropped off at her class door not knowing ANY numbers, ANY letters. That's one of MANY examples. And clearly, the culture in which a child grows is going to influence their thought patterns.

And I see the very same dynamics in the extended portions of my own mixed-race family.

I'd like to see more apples to apples comparisons.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back