Minority kids are stupid

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
That's what I've heard, anyway.

Just got back from a program in the kindergarten class my older daughter teaches at a Charter school. A class in which they know cursive, can read books, and can do third grade math by the time the year is over. In kindergarten.

Anyway, they recited all the states and the state capitols, both as a group and individually; they answered questions on American history and geography; they recited the first part of the Gettysburg Address. And they did one mean bunny hop a couple of times in between.

This class is about 80% black or brown.

This class isn't about your skin color or how much money your parents have. It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

I'll bet we all know this. Some just refuse to admit it.

That’s amazing... kudos to your daughter for doing an excellent job grooming our youth!

What a nice story.

Golly! I remember my school hammering cursive writing into our heads as kids. It's importance was most stressed. Save my signature, I almost never use it today.

Just got back from a program in the kindergarten class my older daughter teaches at a Charter school. A class in which they know cursive, can read books, and can do third grade math by the time the year is over. In kindergarten.

Anyway, they recited all the states and the state capitols, both as a group and individually; they answered questions on American history and geography; they recited the first part of the Gettysburg Address. And they did one mean bunny hop a couple of times in between.

This class isn't about your skin color or how much money your parents have. It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

The teacher matters the most.

What a nice story.

Golly! I remember my school hammering cursive writing into our heads as kids. It's importance was most stressed. Save my signature, I almost never use it today.
She was telling me about data that indicates that different areas of study affect the brain in different ways. Writing in cursive has an effect that is similar to learning music, I think.

Pretty amazing.

But will they be able to handle a workday filled with pain?

I'm sure your daughter is a great teacher. Kindergarteners usually do not have the fine motor skills to do cursive or even very good printing at age 5. It would take a lot of work prior to kindergarten to make them that advanced. Same with 3rd grade math. That has got to be cognitively above their functioning level. Maybe they can do it, but do they understand what they're doing?

I could be wrong, but some of what you're telling me sounds pretty unbelievable. And it certainly isn't because I don't believe students can learn.

It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

And this can be achieved without functioning parents?

Kudos to your daughter, but selective charter schools are not going to solve the "achievement gap."

By the way, do you support school choice?

Okay, you're on my good side for the rest of the day.

When am I not?

Sure we disagree from time to time but we agree more often than not.

The thing is too many teachers give up and your daughter is rare and hopefully she stays engaged with the student.

I had some great teachers that wanted to kill me ( I know who would ever want to do that to me? ) but they taught me a lot...

I'm sure your daughter is a great teacher. Kindergarteners usually do not have the fine motor skills to do cursive or even very good printing at age 5. It would take a lot of work prior to kindergarten to make them that advanced. Same with 3rd grade math. That has got to be cognitively above their functioning level. Maybe they can do it, but do they understand what they're doing?

I could be wrong, but some of what you're telling me sounds pretty unbelievable. And it certainly isn't because I don't believe students can learn.
I had sat in on her class before, so I was ready for it. Looking around the room, there were some parents whose minds were CLEARLY blown, though.

All true. Kids are sponges.

What a nice story.

She was telling me about data that indicates that different areas of study affect the brain in different ways. Writing in cursive has an effect that is similar to learning music, I think.

Pretty amazing.

Neat. I never thought of it that way.

It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

And this can be achieved without functioning parents?

Kudos to your daughter, but selective charter schools are not going to solve the "achievement gap."

By the way, do you support school choice?
Without a doubt, it's tougher on the teacher when parents are less involved, and without a doubt it's tougher on the child.

What we can't do is coddle and make quick excuses for them. Kids are incredibly resilient. There is a middle ground on this.

Yes, I support school choice, of course.

My youngest is doing all AP classes and has for two years at high school this year he starts taking college level tests for credits. It not just the kids, school and teacher, it's also the parents. In my home nothing is more important than educating my kids..

Okay, you're on my good side for the rest of the day.

When am I not?

Sure we disagree from time to time but we agree more often than not.

The thing is too many teachers give up and your daughter is rare and hopefully she stays engaged with the student.

I had some great teachers that wanted to kill me ( I know who would ever want to do that to me? ) but they taught me a lot...
You're always on my good side, but I don't want you getting comfortable.

Watch yer damn step, pal.

Teachers matter but parents matter more. If they are serious about education, their children will be too. Charter schools prove that point since they have a self-selected student body (selected by parents that care).

My son went to a public middle/high school that he had to enter a lottery to attend (no testing or academics involved). The school was a pain to get to so only parents that cared enough, sent their kids there. The scores on standardized testing for that school put it in one of the top 5 public high schools in the country (schools that had entrance exams were not included).

I had sat in on her class before, so I was ready for it. Looking around the room, there were some parents whose minds were CLEARLY blown, though.

All true. Kids are sponges.
My mom taught elementary school and kept teaching lower and lower grades until she was down to kindergarten by the time she retired. Due to standardized testing, which always tests kids a certain percentage above grade level, teachers were pushed more and more to get children achieving above grade level for the scores.
She was against that, saying with most students, their minds weren't ready for it. Maybe my mom was too old fashioned or just wasn't a very good teacher, but she felt it was wrong to push them like that.

I agree with you that they are sponges when it comes to things like learning the capitals and the states. 5 year olds can memorize lots of stuff and it won't hurt them a bit. I'm talking about the more developmental aspects, like third grade math and cursive.

The disparities in IQ most prominently come to actualization in the late teens to early 20s. Not quite as readily observable 5-7 year olds; all things considered. Glad you had a good time though.

Forum List

Back