Minority kids are stupid

Not sure why you’d prefer to be stabbed or bludgeoned to death.
... I might poke my fingers in your eyes and kill you, too. ...

You could try, but you would fail. However, if you shot me from 15 feet away, I like your chances.
We're getting farther and farther from my point.
That’s what unkotare does.

...says the troll while trolling.
I want to apologize to you teachers. It is not your fault at all. I read where a child and his parents interactions from birth until 5 years old is very important in a child’s success later in life. So when a kid goes off to kindergarten the kid is not a blank slate. You are right. Some kids had better parents than others.

I also think this goes along with how first born kids are different than the kids who come after. The first born get 100% attention from the parents.

Then again there may be benefits to being second born because we have an older sibling to learn from.

Anyways, parents need to learn to parent their kids better before they send them off to school. Increase the vocabulary! Ignorant parents pass that on to their kids. It shows in the test scores.

... I might poke my fingers in your eyes and kill you, too. ...

You could try, but you would fail. However, if you shot me from 15 feet away, I like your chances.
We're getting farther and farther from my point.
That’s what unkotare does.

...says the troll while trolling.
I want to apologize to you teachers. It is not your fault at all. I read where a child and his parents interactions from birth until 5 years old is very important in a child’s success later in life. So when a kid goes off to kindergarten the kid is not a blank slate. You are right. Some kids had better parents than others.

I also think this goes along with how first born kids are different than the kids who come after. The first born get 100% attention from the parents.

Then again there may be benefits to being second born because we have an older sibling to learn from.

Anyways, parents need to learn to parent their kids better before they send them off to school. Increase the vocabulary! Ignorant parents pass that on to their kids. It shows in the test scores.
Start by solving the endemic problem that over 70% of negro children live in households where there is no father to be seen or identified.
Solve the FACT!!!!! that negro males REFUSE to wear a condom when they are having sex with barely pubescent negro girls.
LIB assholes claim my insights are 'racist'.
The pathetic irony is by habitually turning a blind eye to the endemic social problems in the black community they are in fact the 'racists'.
Candice Owen is deeply hated by many for her truth telling about how blacks are being fucked over by their own people.
BTW. Has the negro mayor from Philadelphia been sent to prison yet?

Funny how much some people prefer to offer 'advice' to people they have never met about how to 'fix' their lives than doing a damn thing to 'fix' their own fucked up selves first.

That’s amazing... kudos to your daughter for doing an excellent job grooming our youth!

Sadly, that is the appropriate word when five year olds are learning the Gettysburg address and memorizing state capitols. "Grooming", not learning. Just memorizing and spewing, that's all. They cannot process that information. They do not understand how long ago one year was, let alone the Civil War. They do not understand how far away the next town is, let alone the next state.

Mac this is no remark on what kind of teacher your daughter is. She is probably having to teach in the iron grip of that Charter school and so it is. She is probably a phenomenal teacher. But that curriculum is not good for learning and ESPECIALLY not 21st century learning. I know that sounds like "liberal code buzz" or whatever but it's true. We don't need people who can memorize stuff that is meaningless to them.

We need people who can make meaning out of what was meaningless before. THAT take genius creativity. You don't get that by teaching five year olds the Gettysburg address.

I sense a terminal case of "charter school" envy here. Just because it doesn't fit the developmental models that your ed school pushed and the unions insist on..

It's a kick start for kids who CAN capitalize on the extra stimulation and does no HARM at that age for kids who aren't motivated by their early success..

As "they" say... Don't knock it til you've tried it and documented the results. And if there's one thing that American needs --- it IS results..

WTF is HEADSTART and PRE-K if NOT attempts to "jump-start" their little cranial engines?

Here's something to ponder: many European schools achieve way over and above our American schools and they don't even think of teaching "academics" until kids are seven years old. Let alone having them do horrid academic feats like memorize the Gettysburg address at five years old. (!!!)

Wanna know why? They know the research, and aren't into impressing dull brained parents.

But the reaction FROM the parents (dull brained or not) is REINFORCEMENT for achieving competency in using the TOOLS of learning.. You don't teach a carpenter apprentice to build the WHOLE house or cabinets. They learn to saw, paint, measure, sand before they even understand how the results are expected to look.. Nobody is getting fooled here. BUT -- I'm a fan of sneaking in a bit of tools learning and making it rewarding..

This whole thread has been about how five year olds memorizing a text as meaningless to them as the Gettysburg Address is less than impressive. As a "tool of learning" it does nothing other than display that young children have a quick propensity to memorize. That's it.
I’m sorry but that’s BS. The act of memorizing and reciting something like the Gettysburg address or memorizing capitals helps develop many important skills, focus, attention, retention, relationships, articulation, comprehension etc etc. I agree that memorization exercises shouldn’t comprise 100% of the curriculum but it’s also not intellectually honest for you to dismiss its effectiveness all together

That’s amazing... kudos to your daughter for doing an excellent job grooming our youth!

Sadly, that is the appropriate word when five year olds are learning the Gettysburg address and memorizing state capitols. "Grooming", not learning. Just memorizing and spewing, that's all. They cannot process that information. They do not understand how long ago one year was, let alone the Civil War. They do not understand how far away the next town is, let alone the next state.

Mac this is no remark on what kind of teacher your daughter is. She is probably having to teach in the iron grip of that Charter school and so it is. She is probably a phenomenal teacher. But that curriculum is not good for learning and ESPECIALLY not 21st century learning. I know that sounds like "liberal code buzz" or whatever but it's true. We don't need people who can memorize stuff that is meaningless to them.

We need people who can make meaning out of what was meaningless before. THAT take genius creativity. You don't get that by teaching five year olds the Gettysburg address.

I sense a terminal case of "charter school" envy here. Just because it doesn't fit the developmental models that your ed school pushed and the unions insist on..

It's a kick start for kids who CAN capitalize on the extra stimulation and does no HARM at that age for kids who aren't motivated by their early success..

As "they" say... Don't knock it til you've tried it and documented the results. And if there's one thing that American needs --- it IS results..

WTF is HEADSTART and PRE-K if NOT attempts to "jump-start" their little cranial engines?

I wish all of you educator wannabes would realize the unions have zero input on curriculum in public schools. You continuously propagate this lie out of ignorance.

Then WHY is on-line targeted learning companies and resources a constant THREAT to the unions? Or charters? or Vouchers?

Don't tell me that all has to do with money. It has to do with filling their ranks..

In Cali -- the Unions were the FULL FORCE behind expanding ESLanguage teaching to RIDICULOUS levels. They were demanding Advanced Placement courses in HIGH school be taught in multiple languages. Now if you're taking Chemistry, Physics, or Calculus -- YOU'D THINK --- the kids should ALREADY be English proficient -- BUT NO -- they wanted MORE classes --- ergo MORE TEACHERS, less access to AP classes by white privileged kids...

Cuts to funding equals cuts to teaching personnel which usually results in larger class sizes. Would you not fight to keep your job if the alternative is being unemployed in your profession?

In 2006, my position was cut because of declining enrollment at a DODEA school because the Army post was rehabbing so many housing units that everyone lived off post and attended the county schools. So I went to work in those same county schools, taking a middle school job even though I was certified to teach all classes up to Calculus, and my position was cut the following year because of budget cuts. Class sizes exploded throughout the county. I was unemployed for three months, until a brand new teacher broke down in the middle of class and walked out of the school, never to return. I was a member of the unions then, and they could do nothing to help in those situations. I quit the union, never to waste my money again.

Now, what was it you are saying about influencing curriculum?

I wish all of you educator wannabes would realize the unions have zero input on curriculum in public schools. You continuously propagate this lie out of ignorance.

In Cali -- the Unions were the FULL FORCE behind expanding ESLanguage teaching to RIDICULOUS levels. They were demanding Advanced Placement courses in HIGH school be taught in multiple languages. ...

That’s not ESL, it’s Bilingual Ed.

That's a PART of the ESL program.. And it means different staffing and different students in AP classes that are ALREADY hard to get into... And more TEACHERS for the unions...

It's an outright admission of FAILURE to assimilate those students if you need segregated bilingual ed for AP Physics or Chemistry or Calculus....

Here's something to ponder: many European schools achieve way over and above our American schools and they don't even think of teaching "academics" until kids are seven years old. Let alone having them do horrid academic feats like memorize the Gettysburg address at five years old. (!!!)

Wanna know why? They know the research, and aren't into impressing dull brained parents.

But the reaction FROM the parents (dull brained or not) is REINFORCEMENT for achieving competency in using the TOOLS of learning.. You don't teach a carpenter apprentice to build the WHOLE house or cabinets. They learn to saw, paint, measure, sand before they even understand how the results are expected to look.. Nobody is getting fooled here. BUT -- I'm a fan of sneaking in a bit of tools learning and making it rewarding..

This whole thread has been about how five year olds memorizing a text as meaningless to them as the Gettysburg Address is less than impressive. As a "tool of learning" it does nothing other than display that young children have a quick propensity to memorize. That's it.

I think you just made my point.. It IS impressive to teach memorization in Kindergarten or 1st Grade to that ability.. And it puts them FAR ahead of kids who don't get challenged to do it.. Same thing could be accomplished for sorting animals into mammals, reptiles, birds, insects for instance. Or recognizing short excepts of songs or books that they've had read to them.

Basic tool training.. It's ain't useless...

Destined for the fate of many a charter school: burnout. From the teachers. And the kids. Total burnout. And sooner rather than later.

The burn-out is from doing the same things over and over and expecting miracles to fix things. Charters and "theme schools" allow the teachers more latitude to work and experiment. And the best time to DO THAT is in the earliest grades. My Uncle started curriculums in his failing schools based on comic books and got GREAT results for kids who hated reading and english.. Even had a custom series designed. Fought the board and union for several years to try it...

Can't fix the problems if you don't reach the kids with a sense of accomplishment and pride in their school attendance.

That's what I've heard, anyway.

Just got back from a program in the kindergarten class my older daughter teaches at a Charter school. A class in which they know cursive, can read books, and can do third grade math by the time the year is over. In kindergarten.

Anyway, they recited all the states and the state capitols, both as a group and individually; they answered questions on American history and geography; they recited the first part of the Gettysburg Address. And they did one mean bunny hop a couple of times in between.

This class is about 80% black or brown.

This class isn't about your skin color or how much money your parents have. It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

I'll bet we all know this. Some just refuse to admit it.
I thought schools stopped teaching cursive

Just got back from a program in the kindergarten class my older daughter teaches at a Charter school. A class in which they know cursive, can read books, and can do third grade math by the time the year is over. In kindergarten.

Anyway, they recited all the states and the state capitols, both as a group and individually; they answered questions on American history and geography; they recited the first part of the Gettysburg Address. And they did one mean bunny hop a couple of times in between.

This class isn't about your skin color or how much money your parents have. It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

I'm sure your daughter is a great teacher. Kindergarteners usually do not have the fine motor skills to do cursive or even very good printing at age 5. It would take a lot of work prior to kindergarten to make them that advanced. Same with 3rd grade math. That has got to be cognitively above their functioning level. Maybe they can do it, but do they understand what they're doing?

I could be wrong, but some of what you're telling me sounds pretty unbelievable. And it certainly isn't because I don't believe students can learn.
I had sat in on her class before, so I was ready for it. Looking around the room, there were some parents whose minds were CLEARLY blown, though.

All true. Kids are sponges.
Just out of curiosity, why are you sitting in the classroom?

I'm sure your daughter is a great teacher. Kindergarteners usually do not have the fine motor skills to do cursive or even very good printing at age 5. It would take a lot of work prior to kindergarten to make them that advanced. Same with 3rd grade math. That has got to be cognitively above their functioning level. Maybe they can do it, but do they understand what they're doing?

I could be wrong, but some of what you're telling me sounds pretty unbelievable. And it certainly isn't because I don't believe students can learn.
I had sat in on her class before, so I was ready for it. Looking around the room, there were some parents whose minds were CLEARLY blown, though.

My mom taught elementary school and kept teaching lower and lower grades until she was down to kindergarten by the time she retired. Due to standardized testing, which always tests kids a certain percentage above grade level, teachers were pushed more and more to get children achieving above grade level for the scores.
She was against that, saying with most students, their minds weren't ready for it. Maybe my mom was too old fashioned or just wasn't a very good teacher, but she felt it was wrong to push them like that.

I agree with you that they are sponges when it comes to things like learning the capitals and the states. 5 year olds can memorize lots of stuff and it won't hurt them a bit. I'm talking about the more developmental aspects, like third grade math and cursive.
teachers were pushed more and more to get children achieving above grade level for the scores.
She was against that, saying with most students, their minds weren't ready for it.
EXACTLY!

It's like trying to make an infant walk before they can crawl.

Now, come to think of it, did you pass a background check before being allowed contact with her students?

I think you just made my point.. It IS impressive to teach memorization in Kindergarten or 1st Grade to that ability.. And it puts them FAR ahead of kids who don't get challenged to do it.. Same thing could be accomplished for sorting animals into mammals, reptiles, birds, insects for instance. Or recognizing short excepts of songs or books that they've had read to them.

Basic tool training.. It's ain't useless...

Sorting is thinking. It is making meaning. You must understand what makes a mammal to put an animal in the "mammal" pile.

Memorizing is basic recall and nothing more.

Big, huge difference. Not to say that memorization is completely useless. But that you say the "same thing" could be accomplished, I'm sorry, is just wrong.

Destined for the fate of many a charter school: burnout. From the teachers. And the kids. Total burnout. And sooner rather than later.

The burn-out is from doing the same things over and over and expecting miracles to fix things. Charters and "theme schools" allow the teachers more latitude to work and experiment. And the best time to DO THAT is in the earliest grades. My Uncle started curriculums in his failing schools based on comic books and got GREAT results for kids who hated reading and english.. Even had a custom series designed. Fought the board and union for several years to try it...

Can't fix the problems if you don't reach the kids with a sense of accomplishment and pride in their school attendance.

Charter schools often allow their teachers zero latitude to try things. The curriculum is set in iron from the top down. We're this or we're that, and that's the way it is. In the case of the OP, it's pretty clear what's what. Again I say, I'm all for what works. But in the case of charter school, the entity that gets the charter holds all the cards. If it works great. If it doesn't--there goes the school.

In Cali -- the Unions were the FULL FORCE behind expanding ESLanguage teaching to RIDICULOUS levels. They were demanding Advanced Placement courses in HIGH school be taught in multiple languages. ...

That's a PART of the ESL program.. And it means different staffing and different students in AP classes that are ALREADY hard to get into... And more TEACHERS for the unions...

It's an outright admission of FAILURE to assimilate those students if you need segregated bilingual ed for AP Physics or Chemistry or Calculus....

Bilingual Ed, ESL, and English immersion are all different things.

Not in the least. You seem to be assuming that all of these kids have been in the school system since the first grade. That is most certainly not the case for many many students.

I thought schools stopped teaching cursive
Public schools maybe.

As I said in the OP, they had a program that day. The classroom was stuffed with parents.

They also allow parents to be there for an hour as an assistant if the teacher allows it. I've done that too.

As I said in the OP, they had a program that day. The classroom was stuffed with parents.

They did that at my oldest son’s school this past Saturday. And just the day before at his other school they had the families in for student presentations on the 50 states. That one was really packed.

Forum List

Back