MILITARIZE Baby! MILITARIZE!

I agree that educating people about the harms of drugs is a positive thing. Trouble is, not everybody responds to that. Those who don't, and then drink and drive, drug and drive, they get people killed. This is why the government and police (who have better things to do) are forced to step in.

Smoking pot, like smoking anything is bad for your lungs, and when you get to my age (72), you will know how the things you did 50 years earlier, come back to haunt you, and at the late stage, there's not much you can do to correct it.

Best policy is to not put anything into your body other than clean air, clean water, and good nutritious foods.
I agree with everything you said. Your right to harm your body ends at you harming mine. Although in the instance of cannabis, that "harm" is highly debatable.

But, drug laws go beyond that. They say that you can't even choose to "harm" your own body if you want to. Worse yet, they say you can use this drug (alcohol), or even this drug (opioids) if you have a prescription, but you can't use these drugs (cannabis, coke, etc) because I don't think you should. It's a logical inconsistency and an assumption that one isn't mature or smart enough to maintain agency over their own body.

Whatever blows your skirt up - Just know that police militarization is what autocracies do.

But you seem to be comfortable with that too, so ---> Meh

image-1.jpeg

Autocracies also work to keep their air and water clean. And democracies also keep law and order. Ho hum. Yawn*****

I agree with everything you said. Your right to harm your body ends at you harming mine. Although in the instance of cannabis, that "harm" is highly debatable.

But, drug laws go beyond that. They say that you can't even choose to "harm" your own body if you want to. Worse yet, they say you can use this drug (alcohol), or even this drug (opioids) if you have a prescription, but you can't use these drugs (cannabis, coke, etc) because I don't think you should. It's a logical inconsistency and an assumption that one isn't mature or smart enough to maintain agency over their own body.
Many people are NOT mature or smart enough to maintain agency over their own body. One of my neighbors is my age (72), and he smokes both pot and cigarettes, and he has oxygen tank tubes attached to his face to help him breathe.
He's not alone. Some others are just as stupid, or nuts.

As for harming your own body, for most people that's not just involving you alone.Most people have friends and relatives and pets, all of whom will grieve and suffer if you die. No man is an island.

I will agree that the laws are inconsistent. Alcohol, catastrophe on the highways, but also severely damaging to the liver, is legal, while pot and other drugs aren't.

Many people are NOT mature or smart enough to maintain agency over their own body. One of my neighbors is my age (72), and he smokes both pot and cigarettes, and he has oxygen tank tubes attached to his face to help him breathe.
He's not alone. Some others are just as stupid, or nuts.
Agreed. But is it your responsibility to force him not to be stupid? Is it your obligation to empower some other entity (government) to force him to not be stupid?

As for harming your own body, for most people that's not just involving you alone.Most people have friends and relatives and pets, all of whom will grieve and suffer if you die. No man is an island.
That's what interventions are for, and for people in someone's lives who love and care for them to speak up and help them. It's very tough because you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped, just like it's really tough to force someone into something they don't want to do.

That's my only argument here. I'm willing to have an opinion on a given topic, argue the merits of it and advocate for someone to think the same way i do... but i'm not willing to force my opinion on others, much less by using governmental force.

I have. I did it in Iraq. Not only that but I walked up on people unarmed to search them for weapons. They might have a weapon, but I had dropped all of mine before approaching them. I walked into bunkers and buildings knowing someone might be inside and knowing I was not to shoot unless I saw a weapon.

Are you telling me that the streets of Milwaukee are more dangerous than a war zone? Are you really going to claim that it is more dangerous on the highways of Oklahoma than in the cities and bunkers of Iraq? Are the people the cops are facing trained to kill?

You are so completely full of shit it must be squirting out of your ears.
I don't know if you are full of shit or not, but I do know that what you just said is one of the craziest and absolutely IDIOTIC things I've ever read..

If you acted in Iraq (and I was there 2 years ago) or anywhere, like what you said, you'd either be one of 2 things: dead, or incredibly lucky. Your post is trying to tell us that it is not OK to shoot somebody when their hands disappear. Dude, that is idiocy. That is gambling with your life, especially in the case of a cop who is dealing with somebody trying to avoid being arrested.

And you say you dropped all your weapons. Oh, that's just brilliant. You're either the dumbest clown in town, or you're nuttier than a fruitcake. All I can say is I wonder if the nuttier than a fruitcake Obama policies weren't at work here. I don't know what would drive somebody to act this crazy way, but the way police do it, is correct.

They inform a suspect to keep his hands visible and empty. If he doesn't comply, he gets shot. Cop is self-defense acquitted every time, especially when there is video to back him/her up, as in the Crutcher and Castile cases.

As for Milwaukee, or anywhere else, no place is any more dangerous than any other place. You could be shot anywhere, and it could take a fraction of a second from when the person's hand disappears from your view. If it does, you either shoot, or you're a dead idiot.

Well I was in Iraq for Desert Storm. That would be Gulf War I. I was with the 82nd Airborne back then. The training we got in how to approach and search a POW was from the Military Police. This is what we were taught back then. This of course was while Obama was a CIty Councilman, and Clinton was a former Governor of Arkansas, so blaming them for it seems silly when we had just finished the Reagan years and were in the administration of Bush the first.

So blaming Liberals for it seems a little silly, to say the least, but I see your reflexes are operating normally, knee jerk response, blame the folks who were not even in power yet.

The training I got was exactly the same as we got for Panama the year before, but hey, I’m sure you are right it is all Obama’s fault.

The training was based upon procedures. The first idea behind the procedure was not to take a weapon to the prisoner. It seems silly, but every Jail and Prison has the same rule. Don’t take a weapon to the people you are trying to secure and detain. You can at least limit the number of weapons in the scenario to those the baddie may have.

Then we were covered by one of our mates. You see, in those days we could trust our friends and fellow soldiers not to shoot us. I guess that isn’t a thing now.

My LCE was on the ground with the Gerber Mark One attached to the left shoulder strap. The 9MM Beretta, or M-9 I used when clearing bunkers was there, as was my M-16A2 rifle. Again, the procedure called on limiting the access of the prisoners to weapons.

I searched a couple hundred prisoners, and found several weapons on them. But hey, perhaps I was just lucky. I mean, at point blank range having a rifle in your hand holding it to the head of the guy makes searching him so much easier. Or something.

I searched cars at checkpoints, I was the guy who was the best at it according to my Sergeant who put me in for the board to be promoted shortly thereafter. But hey, what would he know? Just because he retired as an E-8 does not mean he was any good what so ever. He was obviously not all Jack Booted Gestapo so he was probably a Pussy right?

What is so funny is that your arguments are all so lame. You have to shoot so fast because if you don’t you’ll die when the baddie draws and fires and kills the cop with one shot. Yet the cops at the same range miss with roughly half their shots all the damned time. I guess the cops graduated from the spray and pray school of shooting.

How did any cops survive the era of the Mobsters during prohibition when they were not allowed to shoot until they had seen a weapon? How did the cops survive through to the “modern” era with measly .38 Special revolvers and only six rounds? Add to that the idea that they weren’t supposed to shoot before they saw a weapon and it’s just astonishing that they survived. But they did.

It must break your heart when you see a cop take a guy into custody who had been armed. All the good excuses for shooting a baddie were just wasted.

Nobody in my unit was seriously hurt in Iraq. Only one was wounded in Panama. One. He was shot in a firefight. The Doctors pulled two AK rounds out of him. The reason we survived was that we were patient, careful, and we worked as a team. We didn’t have idiots who fired first and thought second. We didn’t have morons who thought pulling the trigger was all that mattered. We trained up our new people, and paired them with more senior people so they could learn.

We expected the very best from our people, and accepted nothing less. We expected restraint, and we got it. We got prisoners, and we had to shoot some folks. We engaged them when they had weapons, not unless or until. We didn’t just shoot at someone we saw who might be scary.

I searched bunkers and found booby traps. I searched bunkers and found intelligence information. I searched and found some people hiding, and some who wanted to fight.

Survival is not an excuse for outrageous actions. The enemy is really bad isn’t an excuse for foolishness.

Today, I still use the same rules of engagement that I had learned all those years ago. I do not shoot unless I am certain the baddie is a real threat. I had better see a weapon in other words. I still believe the shooting tactics of when I was a boy was the best. Shoot, Shoot, and assess. Fire two rounds, and make sure the baddie is no longer a threat. If he is, fire two more rounds. Half a second to think, more than enough time for me, but obviously too much time to even think of not shooting for trigger happy folks like the cops, and you.

I said it was all bullshit, and it is all bullshit. All the lame assed excuses. All the horror stories, and the nonsense about if we don’t do this than good cops die. How many citizens die in the process with that asinine excuse? About twice as many as need to be if Georgia is an accurate standard. Since nearly half of the people shot by Police in Georgia are shot while unarmed, or shot in the back.

I have no problem with the police having the best equipment possible to do their jobs effectively, while minimizing the risks to them. However, I think there needs to be a balance, especially with the day to day police officer, and how they dress, and act. I do get a sense there is more of an intimidation factor today, in how they are perceived. That may do with more, and more wearing "SWAT" type gear, and wielding some of the military equipment they have a little too freely.

Some units are beginning to look like a Standing Army instead of civilians that "Protect, and Serve".
I'm more concerned with safety and saving lives, than what things look like.

The problem is that the cops like most people have an idea. If we have it we might as well use it.

They tossed a flash bang grenade in and maimed a baby.
Blame the people who outlawed recreational drug use.

Tie a Yellow Ribbon to Hang From a Surrender Medal

Just like Carter ordered the Marines in Tehran to stand down and let a mob of teenage religious wackos take over our embassy.
Democrats have a habit of ordering soldiers and police to stand down. Like the mayor of Baltimore who (after talking to Al Sharpton- sent by Obama) allowed rock throwing punks, while the cops could only hold up shields and back off, instead of wading into the punks and arresting them. The rioters were also allowed to loot freely and destroy police cars. Everybody was asking "Where's the police ?" They were right there - watching. With orders to do nothing.

684026_1280x720.jpg

th
th

article-urn:publicid:ap.org:845d7b4ec05244ba88b076f0cfeb3526-6YC2sqXZH-HSK1-193_634x426.jpg

Like Mayor Bob Buckhorn of Tampa, FL, who allowed protestors to block traffic for over an hour (zero arrests), and other Democrat mayors in other cities, who did the same. In the link's photo, note the cops standing still in a line, just looking at the traffic blockers, and doing nothing.

Black Lives Matter protesters call for change in Tampa demonstration

Like Missouri Democrat governor Jay Nixon, who called in the National Guard, during the Ferguson riot, and then moved them miles away from the rioting.

Like Democrat Mayor Sam Liccardo whose police chief Eddie Garcia did exactly as he was instructed - do nothing, while mobs of Mexican flag-waving illegal aliens attacked Trump rallygoers. Liccardo later blamed Trump for the violence that his police ALLOWED to occur.

Donald Trump Supporters Terrorized By Raging Mobs In San Jose – A Democrat Mayor and Police Chief Watched It All…

THIS is what you get when Democrats are given power as mayors, governors, or God help us, presidents.
Plug a Thug

The rules necessary for the security of a free state must be:

1. Anyone who verbally assaults a policeman gets maced and billyclubbed.

2. Anyone who physically assaults a policeman gets shot dead.
How old were you the first time you deep throated a nightstick?

Well I was in Iraq for Desert Storm. That would be Gulf War I. I was with the 82nd Airborne back then. The training we got in how to approach and search a POW was from the Military Police. This is what we were taught back then. This of course was while Obama was a CIty Councilman, and Clinton was a former Governor of Arkansas, so blaming them for it seems silly when we had just finished the Reagan years and were in the administration of Bush the first.

So blaming Liberals for it seems a little silly, to say the least, but I see your reflexes are operating normally, knee jerk response, blame the folks who were not even in power yet.

The training I got was exactly the same as we got for Panama the year before, but hey, I’m sure you are right it is all Obama’s fault.

The training was based upon procedures. The first idea behind the procedure was not to take a weapon to the prisoner. It seems silly, but every Jail and Prison has the same rule. Don’t take a weapon to the people you are trying to secure and detain. You can at least limit the number of weapons in the scenario to those the baddie may have.

Then we were covered by one of our mates. You see, in those days we could trust our friends and fellow soldiers not to shoot us. I guess that isn’t a thing now.

My LCE was on the ground with the Gerber Mark One attached to the left shoulder strap. The 9MM Beretta, or M-9 I used when clearing bunkers was there, as was my M-16A2 rifle. Again, the procedure called on limiting the access of the prisoners to weapons.

I searched a couple hundred prisoners, and found several weapons on them. But hey, perhaps I was just lucky. I mean, at point blank range having a rifle in your hand holding it to the head of the guy makes searching him so much easier. Or something.

I searched cars at checkpoints, I was the guy who was the best at it according to my Sergeant who put me in for the board to be promoted shortly thereafter. But hey, what would he know? Just because he retired as an E-8 does not mean he was any good what so ever. He was obviously not all Jack Booted Gestapo so he was probably a Pussy right?

What is so funny is that your arguments are all so lame. You have to shoot so fast because if you don’t you’ll die when the baddie draws and fires and kills the cop with one shot. Yet the cops at the same range miss with roughly half their shots all the damned time. I guess the cops graduated from the spray and pray school of shooting.

How did any cops survive the era of the Mobsters during prohibition when they were not allowed to shoot until they had seen a weapon? How did the cops survive through to the “modern” era with measly .38 Special revolvers and only six rounds? Add to that the idea that they weren’t supposed to shoot before they saw a weapon and it’s just astonishing that they survived. But they did.

It must break your heart when you see a cop take a guy into custody who had been armed. All the good excuses for shooting a baddie were just wasted.

Nobody in my unit was seriously hurt in Iraq. Only one was wounded in Panama. One. He was shot in a firefight. The Doctors pulled two AK rounds out of him. The reason we survived was that we were patient, careful, and we worked as a team. We didn’t have idiots who fired first and thought second. We didn’t have morons who thought pulling the trigger was all that mattered. We trained up our new people, and paired them with more senior people so they could learn.

We expected the very best from our people, and accepted nothing less. We expected restraint, and we got it. We got prisoners, and we had to shoot some folks. We engaged them when they had weapons, not unless or until. We didn’t just shoot at someone we saw who might be scary.

I searched bunkers and found booby traps. I searched bunkers and found intelligence information. I searched and found some people hiding, and some who wanted to fight.

Survival is not an excuse for outrageous actions. The enemy is really bad isn’t an excuse for foolishness.

Today, I still use the same rules of engagement that I had learned all those years ago. I do not shoot unless I am certain the baddie is a real threat. I had better see a weapon in other words. I still believe the shooting tactics of when I was a boy was the best. Shoot, Shoot, and assess. Fire two rounds, and make sure the baddie is no longer a threat. If he is, fire two more rounds. Half a second to think, more than enough time for me, but obviously too much time to even think of not shooting for trigger happy folks like the cops, and you.

I said it was all bullshit, and it is all bullshit. All the lame assed excuses. All the horror stories, and the nonsense about if we don’t do this than good cops die. How many citizens die in the process with that asinine excuse? About twice as many as need to be if Georgia is an accurate standard. Since nearly half of the people shot by Police in Georgia are shot while unarmed, or shot in the back.
In USMB, I read posts not books. Anyway, I've already learned that reading your posts is a complete waste of time.

EARTH TO SM: That people are shot while unarmed, and sometimes in the back, is moot. Those shooting can be 100% legal, in self-defense, and in accordance with the fleeing felon rule. And numerous cops (ex. Darren Wilson, Betty Shelby) have been acquitted in those cases (who shouldn't have even been charged to begin with).

I don't know why I bother responding to you. Really don't. :rolleyes:

That's what interventions are for, and for people in someone's lives who love and care for them to speak up and help them. It's very tough because you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped, just like it's really tough to force someone into something they don't want to do.

That's my only argument here. I'm willing to have an opinion on a given topic, argue the merits of it and advocate for someone to think the same way i do... but i'm not willing to force my opinion on others, much less by using governmental force.
If it'll keep drugged and drunk drivers off the road, I'm for it. I'm also not too cool with junkies burglarizing my home, because they've got a moronic, expensive habit to satisfy.

Go ask any cop on the street if he can choose to shoot a fleeing felon. You are dead wrong!
I don't consult a cop about the law. I consult the law itself. And you've seen it right here. Now you're just making a complete ass out of yourself.

The Slager/Scott shooting was POLITICAL, connected to a black majority voting district, and you're just too much of a dum dum to figure that out.

I don't know how many times I have to explain it to you. You cannot shoot a fleeing felon anymore. Grow up and learn the way things work. That ruling means you cannot shoot someone unless they are firing a gun or being a hazard to the cops or the public. Simply running away is not sufficient to justify deadly force.

I have a better idea! Why don't you go out and commit a crime and then run from the cops! When they shoot you dead, (which they won't), you can claim that you are right! When they chase you, tackle your ass, cuff you, read you your rights and then haul your ass to jail, you will be happy to know you were wrong.

Last edited:
I have no problem with the police having the best equipment possible to do their jobs effectively, while minimizing the risks to them. However, I think there needs to be a balance, especially with the day to day police officer, and how they dress, and act. I do get a sense there is more of an intimidation factor today, in how they are perceived. That may do with more, and more wearing "SWAT" type gear, and wielding some of the military equipment they have a little too freely.

Some units are beginning to look like a Standing Army instead of civilians that "Protect, and Serve".
I'm more concerned with safety and saving lives, than what things look like.

The problem is that the cops like most people have an idea. If we have it we might as well use it.

They tossed a flash bang grenade in and maimed a baby.
Blame the people who outlawed recreational drug use.

Pfui. They were not the ones who convinced the cops and the public that a hand grenade was a good choice for police.

In USMB, I read posts not books. Anyway, I've already learned that reading your posts is a complete waste of time.

EARTH TO SM: That people are shot while unarmed, and sometimes in the back, is moot. Those shooting can be 100% legal, in self-defense, and in accordance with the fleeing felon rule. And numerous cops (ex. Darren Wilson, Betty Shelby) have been acquitted in those cases (who shouldn't have even been charged to begin with).

I don't know why I bother responding to you. Really don't. :rolleyes:

Just because you can get away with it, does not mean it is right. Just because you can manage the narrative does not mean you are good. As for refusing to read the information. Not knowing is ignorant. Refusing to know is something else entirely.

confronting protesters with military power is unAmerican. the police have become the military.

I don't know how many times I have to explain it to you. You cannot shoot a fleeing felon anymore. Grow up and learn the way things work. That ruling means you cannot shoot someone unless they are firing a gun or being a hazard to the cops or the public. Simply running away is not sufficient to justify deadly force.

I have a better idea! Why don't you go out and commit a crime and then run from the cops! When they shoot you dead, (which they won't), you can claim that you are right! When they chase you, tackle your ass, cuff you, read you your rights and then haul your ass to jail, you will be happy to know you were wrong.
Your conception here (LOL) has just one problem. It DISAGREES WITH THE LAW.

So one more here we go again, Mr Bullhead >>

Fleeing felon rule - Wikipedia

"The justices held that deadly force "may not be used unless necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious bodily harm to the officer or others."

Obviously, those "others" is the entire community that the fleeing felon escapes into. All of whom are at risk, if the officer fails to do his job to stop that fleeing felon, which might only be by shooting him, (which of course would have to be in the back)

You've gotten this information repeatedly now, and you're playing dumb, and thinking you can browbeat me down to agreeing with you. You have no agreement. You're in disagreement with the law.

Just because you can get away with it, does not mean it is right. Just because you can manage the narrative does not mean you are good. As for refusing to read the information. Not knowing is ignorant. Refusing to know is something else entirely.
Self-defense and fleeing felon shootings are 100% legal and RIGHT.

Self-defense and fleeing felon shootings are 100% legal and RIGHT.

Actual self defense. Absolutely. But it should require more than the cop saying he was afeared for his life. It should have the same standard as a citizen. If you pulled your pistol and shot a guy reaching into his pocket on the street you would be properly charged with a crime as a citizen. You have to have a bit more than the magic words.

As for the fleeing felon rule. Pfui. That always was a bad law, and one day it will be changed, and I am sure on that day idiots like you will be beating their breast and screaming how awful Liberals are for any number of reasons.

Actual self defense. Absolutely. But it should require more than the cop saying he was afeared for his life. It should have the same standard as a citizen. If you pulled your pistol and shot a guy reaching into his pocket on the street you would be properly charged with a crime as a citizen. You have to have a bit more than the magic words.

As for the fleeing felon rule. Pfui. That always was a bad law, and one day it will be changed, and I am sure on that day idiots like you will be beating their breast and screaming how awful Liberals are for any number of reasons.
FALSE! Cops have been acquitted in cases of shooting (and killing) suspects who reached into their pocket (Philando Castille), or into a car window (Terrence Crutcher). The self-defense law is the same for civilians with CCW.

FALSE! Cops have been acquitted in cases of shooting (and killing) suspects who reached into their pocket (Philando Castille), or into a car window (Terrence Crutcher). The self-defense law is the same for civilians with CCW.

Then I am sure you are a big fan of Henry McGee who shot and killed a man entering his home and was not indicted by the Grand Jury in Texas.

Forum List

Back