Michelle Obama’s $400 Million ‘Food Desert’ Scam

I'm not sure about "poor" people having no cars ... a lot of them sure drive around in cars I can't afford. Even so, they still descend like locusts on their local Walmart on "payday" and other shoppers are smart enough to know you never go to Walmart on those days.

It's a game. True story: I was in line behind a woman who used her food stamp card to buy a pack of gum and requested $100 back in cash AND wanted to know if she could use her card again that same day. Now, what do you think she was going to do with that $100?

Never go to the grocery on double coupon or seniors day.
One old person can block an entire aisle for 10 minutes.
Cart parked on one side as they stand on the other side reading a label.
and fyi I am an old fart.

My favorite is they use the cart as a walker and creep down the center of the aisle. Then they argue with the cashier over 2 cents

Neighborhoods become dangerous because the local's make it that way. There is plenty of cash for drugs and prostitution. You want change in your local community, you take part in making it happen. Your argument is bullshit. When parent's neglect their kid's in the projects, because of their dysfunction, be it addiction or what ever, that is what contributes most significantly to the perpetuation of the problem. Second, is your type of excuses and finger pointing.

The locals the didn't make the ghettoes and are no more responsible for the shit thats exists there than inmates in prison are responsible for the shitty conditions in prisons.

You are in denial. We are all responsible for personal behavior.

Inmates are not responsible for the conditions in prison, they just live in it, the same for ghettoes, these places were never great places that went to shit, all of the people who were denied the right to live in cleaner, well off places were by default to live in ghettoes. Ghettoes were never intended to be good places to live.

It's quite simple. If there was a market for their services, then grocer stores would build them. However, it would be fairly straightfoward for those who are concerned about accessing a decent market to buy healthy food to organize car pools, local bus etc. If those actually affected don't give a shit, why should anyone else.

They could help themselves.... that's the conservative way. They could sit on their fat assess waiting for 'Gummit' to do it for them... that's the liberal way.

^ This.

The locals the didn't make the ghettoes and are no more responsible for the shit thats exists there than inmates in prison are responsible for the shitty conditions in prisons.

Inmates are not responsible for the conditions in prison, they just live in it, the same for ghettoes, these places were never great places that went to shit, all of the people who were denied the right to live in cleaner, well off places were by default to live in ghettoes. Ghettoes were never intended to be good places to live.

Conservatives would get up off their asses, organize a work party and clean it their own neighborhoods. Lefties sit back and whine about how the conservatives get all the 'nice neighborhoods' and wait for someone to come along and do it for them.

It's quite simple. If there was a market for their services, then grocer stores would build them. However, it would be fairly straightfoward for those who are concerned about accessing a decent market to buy healthy food to organize car pools, local bus etc. If those actually affected don't give a shit, why should anyone else.

They could help themselves.... that's the conservative way. They could sit on their fat assess waiting for 'Gummit' to do it for them... that's the liberal way.

So explain how dumbass, don't talk that 'the conservative do for yourself' bullshit because that shit goes both ways, instead of asking the government for tax cuts for the rich so they can have more money why aren't the Repugs telling the big businesses to do for themselves without fucking up the economy?

I'm not sure about "poor" people having no cars ... a lot of them sure drive around in cars I can't afford. Even so, they still descend like locusts on their local Walmart on "payday" and other shoppers are smart enough to know you never go to Walmart on those days.

It's a game. True story: I was in line behind a woman who used her food stamp card to buy a pack of gum and requested $100 back in cash AND wanted to know if she could use her card again that same day. Now, what do you think she was going to do with that $100?

Same old story...

Poor people driving Escalades and eating Filet Mignon

Republicans answer to every poverty program

$400 Million to throw at any problem = Dems answer to every poverty program.

I'll tell you what, let's spend whatever it cost Michelle to visit Spain on Fruit for Desert Children, and she keeps her fat ass in the White House for only two more years.

People, no matter where they live, are responsible for their personal behavior. If those that live in the ghettos are not willing to work to improve the environment for themselves and their children, why should anyone else even care what happens to them? They don't care how they live so why should others?

Part of the cost formula is processing, the more the demand, the better the breaks in getting it on the shelf. There is a natural course here, if you just let it be.

You don't think poor people demand good food? To buy free produce in the inner city is almost twice as expensive as it is in the suburbs, its not a matter of low demand or that people don't want good healthy food, its a matter costs and affordability.

Why does it cost more in the inner city?

Bump for Flaylo.

So explain how dumbass, don't talk that 'the conservative do for yourself' bullshit because that shit goes both ways, instead of asking the government for tax cuts for the rich so they can have more money why aren't the Repugs telling the big businesses to do for themselves without fucking up the economy?

No, it really doesn't go both ways. I wish it did. If the left would stop whining about what's wrong with their local neighborhoods and fucking well fix the problems, then they would be conservatives.

The topic of this thread is grocery stores in poor neighborhoods.... it may suit you to change the subject - because you can't come up with any legitimate arguments to support your dumbassed opinion. Try to focus on the topic.

If poor neighborhoods want access to better quality food, there are ways of achieving it without expecting the grocery stores to build stores in unprofitable areas. Why does government have to fix everything? Why does 'big business' have to carry the can for lazy assed bastards who expect to have a grocery store in their backyard?

What an absolute crock of SHIT! You're fucking cracked. My home looks the way it does because of ME, not my neighbor, not the government, not anybody else. If I go outside and shit in my lawn, my lawn has shit in it because I SHIT IN IT. But if I got outside and mow and manicure my lawn, it looks good because I MOWED AND MANICURED IT. Get it Einstein?

Your excuses for a ghetto looking like a ghetto are BULL SHIT. They look like that because of the PEOPLE THAT LIVE THERE, PERIOD. Chicago has plenty of examples of BRAND NEW PUBLIC HOUSING that was built only to be TRASHED by the INHABITANTS of said property.

Wake the fuck up moron.

What an absolute crock of SHIT! You're fucking cracked. My home looks the way it does because of ME, not my neighbor, not the government, not anybody else. If I go outside and shit in my lawn, my lawn has shit in it because I SHIT IN IT. But if I got outside and mow and manicure my lawn, it looks good because I MOWED AND MANICURED IT. Get it Einstein?

Your excuses for a ghetto looking like a ghetto are BULL SHIT. They look like that because of the PEOPLE THAT LIVE THERE, PERIOD. Chicago has plenty of examples of BRAND NEW PUBLIC HOUSING that was built only to be TRASHED by the INHABITANTS of said property.

Wake the fuck up moron.

Um....aside from the possibility that you would even consider taking a crap on your lawn, your thesis probably would not qualify for a stimulous package financed government grant to identify urban "deserts."

Conservatives would get up off their asses, organize a work party and clean it their own neighborhoods. Lefties sit back and whine about how the conservatives get all the 'nice neighborhoods' and wait for someone to come along and do it for them.

No they wouldn't....they would hire Mexicans to do it for them

Wake the fuck up moron.

I believe NYC also has a whole bunch of public housing that they have had to tear down because the inhabitants have totally trashed and destroyed their "free" housing.

These folks don't pay for anything so they don't give a shit.

The report demonstrates that Mrs. Obama’s depiction of American “food deserts” is fatuous at best. Lower-income Americans live closer to supermarkets than higher-income Americans.

Yea...except they lack the cars to get there

Overall, median distance to the nearest supermarket is 0.85 miles,” said the Agriculture Department report. “Median distance for low-income individuals is about 0.1 of a mile less than for those with higher income,

Gee Steph....a tenth of a mile closer

Guess you made your point.

But .85 miles is a lot farther if you have to walk it

what the hell are you babbling about?
can you EVER stick on the topic of the thread.:cuckoo:

You're just too stupid to follow him, Steph. On his worst day he has more smarts than you do on your best. I think you hold the distinction for being one of the stupidest bitches I've ever encountered.

Granny haz allzimers!!!! It was hard to diagnos because she was stupid before that happened.

Hey you old hag!! That's not how an EBT card works. Maybe in your state...Hillbillies aren't very good with finances.

EBT cards have a "food" and a "cash" function. If one is getting "food" you can only purchase FOOD....not alcohol...not asprin...not toilet paper or soap...FOOD!!! If you are granted some kind of disability by your state you may also qualify for a small cash suppliment.. or one or both can be on the same card. No one that has a "food" EBT card can legally get cash instead of food.

What that means is that you are a liar. Plain and simple.

I just skimmed the study, but I didn't see any trend analysis. It would seem to me you would need to know whether or not the situation is progressing or deteriorating over time without government involvement before deciding government invovlement is necessary. Taking point-in-time data and recommending policies based on that point-in-time seems illogical. You don't have a full picture of what is actually happening.

Convenience stores near me all carry fresh and frozen vegetables and fresh fruit. I've never been in one that doesn't. NJ has one of the strictest nutritional standards for school lunches and the kids throw the healthy stuff out. You can lead a horse to water...

Have you seen how much food is thrown away every day at the grocery stores? It is sinful. That's what will happen.

open your eyes people.

SNIP:
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
By Terence P. Jeffrey

First lady Michelle Obama discusses the findings of the Childhood Obesity Task Force report in May. (AP Photo)

First Lady Michelle Obama has called on Congress to create a $400 million-a-year program to encourage the establishment of supermarkets in places she calls “food deserts.”

The situation in these “food deserts,” as Mrs. Obama describes it, is quite dire indeed. American children are growing fat because their parents cannot get to a supermarket—to buy fruits and vegetables—without undergoing the hardship of boarding a bus or riding a taxi. As a consequence, food-desert-dwelling children are forced to eat fast food and junk procured at chain restaurants and convenience stores.

In a March 10 speech, the first lady painted a sad picture of their plight. “Right now, 23.5 million Americans, including 6.5 million kids, live in what we call ‘food deserts’—these are areas without a supermarket,” she explained. “And as a result these families wind up buying their groceries at the local gas station or convenience store, places that offer few, if any, healthy options.”

She offered a solution. “Let’s move to ensure that all families have access to healthy, affordable foods in their community,” she said. “(W)e’ve set an ambitious goal here: to eliminate food deserts in America within seven years.

“To do that,” she said, “we’re creating a Healthy Food Financing Initiative that’s going to invest $400 million a year—and leverage hundreds of millions more from the private sector—to bring grocery stores to underserved areas and help places like convenience stores carry healthier options.”

Pushing this $400 million food-desert-eradication plan became a standard part of Mrs. Obama’s stump speech.

In February, she promoted it in a Philadelphia neighborhood she said had just emerged from a 10-year period without a supermarket—thanks to subsidies from the enlightened state government of Pennsylvania.

“For 10 years, folks had to buy their groceries at places like convenience stores and gas stations, where usually they don’t have a whole lot of fresh food, if any, to choose from,” said Mrs. Obama. “So that means if a mom wanted to buy a head of lettuce to make a salad in this community, or have some fresh fruit for their kids’ lunch, that means she would have to get on a bus, navigate public transportation with the big bags of groceries, probably more than one time a week, or, worse yet, pay for a taxicab ride to get some other supermarket in another community, just to feed her kids.”

Congress left town for the November election without having approved any fiscal 2011 spending bill. So, as of yet, it is uncertain whether Mrs. Obama will get her $400 million-per-year to subsidize supermarkets in “food deserts.” The agricultural bill that has been working its way through Congress includes only a $40 million earmark for the program.

But does it deserve a single penny?

In the 2008 farm bill, Congress mandated that the department conduct a $500,000 study of “food deserts.” The study—“Access to Affordable and Nutritious Food: Measuring and Understanding Food Deserts and Their Consequences”—was published in June 2009.

The report demonstrates that Mrs. Obama’s depiction of American “food deserts” is fatuous at best. Lower-income Americans live closer to supermarkets than higher-income Americans.

read it all here..
Michelle Obama?s $400 Million ?Food Desert? Scam | CNSnews.com

You dumbass woman, its a known fact that healthy food is less available and more expensive in under privileged and low income neighborhoods than in more affluent areas. A 400 million dollar a year invested to change this will also mean less money spent on health care and doctor's visits because these people will not as sick as they are now.

LOL, rant and rave at the people who DID THE STUDY, DUMBASS.:lol:

Forum List

Back