Meet Tim Canova, the Democrat challenging Debbie Wasserman Schultz in CD23

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
It’s been a rough month for Debbie Wassermann Schultz, the Congresswoman in Florida’s 23rd District covering parts of Broward and Miami-Dade counties, and chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee.
It’s in that latter position where she’s been under fire from progressives around the country for alleged misdeeds.
Over 32,000 people have signed a petition on the website of RootsAction, and more than 79,000 on Creedo Action calling for her to be ousted as DNC Chair. The groups list a number of transgressions that are worthy of her losing her title, but most of the negative energy is fueled by the perception that she has been minimizing competition for Hillary Clinton by scheduling relatively few debates (certainly compared to 2007-2008), and scheduling them at times of low TV viewing.
That’s not why Tim Canova is running against her in the Democratic primary for Congress this year, however. He says it was her support for fast-track negotiating authority for the controversial Trans-Pacific Partnership trade proposal last summer that persuaded him to take a serious look at the race.
“A number of labor and progressive Democrats were approaching me to run, and I put off the decision as long as I could and jumped into the race two weeks ago,” he told this reporter on WMNF 88.5 FM on Thursday. “What animated the run was the more I looked at her record, I noticed how much money she’s been taking in from large corporations and how it’s been apparently been influencing her votes in favor of Wall Street banks and private prisons. The list really goes on and on.”
Canova is a former aide to the late Massachusetts Senator Paul Tsongas and currently a professor at Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad College of Law. His background is mostly in academia, starting at the University of Miami before migrating to the University of New Mexico. He returned to South Florida a few years to teach at Nova.
Meet Tim Canova, the Democrat challenging Debbie Wasserman Schultz in CD23 - Florida Politics

This is the middle of the beginning of the end for Debbie Wasseman Schultz.

Forum List

Back