Media's Omissions

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
One has to lay most of the blame on the administration, yet the media is not doing their job:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/com-6_7_04_MK.html

June 7, 2004
Media Bias Keeps 'Good' Iraq News From U.S. Public
By Mort Kondracke

At his first appearance as Iraq's new prime minister last Tuesday, Iyad Allawi switched from Arabic to English to say "I would like to thank the coalition, led by the United States, for the sacrifices they have provided in the process of the liberation of Iraq."

A pretty remarkable statement, is it not, in a country where - to listen to the U.S. media - everybody hates us? Unfortunately, given the media coverage of the event, you'd never know Allawi had said it.

Neither The Washington Post's front-page story on the appointment of Iraq's new government, nor The New York Times's story the same day, made any mention of Allawi's thank-you to America. Nor did The Wall Street Journal's story or the Los Angeles Times's.

Of course, Fox News - a network for whom I punditize - ran tape of Allawi making the statement. So did ABC's "Nightline." No other network did, although CNNdid mention it and CBS carried a clip of President Bush calling attention to Allawi's remarks.

There are two lessons to be drawn from this coverage. First, conservatives are right to charge that the U.S. media tilts left and is biased against Bush's Iraq policy.

And second, the Bush administration must do a better job of getting Iraqis who support U.S. policy - who, in fact, are risking their lives to support U.S. policy - to get on American television and state their case.

Allawi added that "after 35 years of a ruthless, tyrannical regime, and after the liberation of Iraq by the coalition forces under the leadership of the United States, we are starting our march toward sovereignty and democracy."

That statement was carried on Al-Jazeera - the often-rabidly anti-U.S. Arabic news network - but not in the American media.

To be fair, The Washington Post did quote Allawi saying "we need the support of the multinational forces to defeat the enemies of Iraq." It did so in the 11th paragraph of its story on the appointment of the interim government.

USA Today carried the statement, as well, in the fourth paragraph of its story. It was in the tenth paragraph of The New York Times story. And in the 26th paragraph in the LA Times.

You think I am being too harsh in judging media coverage? Just look at the front-page attention given to practically every wrinkle of the Abu Ghraib prison scandal story - and the total absence of outrage at the statement Thursday by Bush-hater George Soros that Abu Ghraib "hit us the same way as the [Sept. 11, 2001] attack itself."

At the liberal "Take Back America" conference in Washington, Soros also said that the war on terrorism "has claimed more innocent victims than the original attack itself."

Even though Soros is a major player in the 2004 presidential campaign, funding anti-Bush activities with tens of millions of dollars, his remarks got practically no media attention - except on Fox News - and no one pointed out that World War II also claimed more innocent victims than the number who died at Pearl Harbor.

Major media coverage of the Iraq war is typified by the Washington Post's repeated, almost formulaic front-page articles that open with quotes from an Iraqi dissatisfied by a lack of electricity or security and then launch into the reporter's negative evaluation of the entire U.S. occupation.

The latest, by Edward Cody, ran last Thursday under the headline "To Many, Mission Not Accomplished." It carried the subhead, "Residents Say Occupation's Unkept Promises, Military Tactics Fuel Resistance."

On May 19, as just one other example, the Post carried a front page story by Robin Wright and Thomas Ricks, headlined "U.S. Faces Growing Fears of Failure" among largely unnamed U.S. lawmakers, Iraqis and administration officials. Last Friday, on the other hand, after Iraq's new government gained the blessing of Shiite Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani, arguably the most influential person in Iraq, the Post carried the story on Page A18.

The New York Times buried it on Page A15, in a box just above the news of the statement by Iraq's new foreign minister, Hoshyar Zabari, that "any premature departure of international forces would lead to chaos and the real possibility of a civil war."

If the U.S. media are going to consistently under-play Iraqi testimonials of thanks and of the need for U.S. forces to stay, then the Bush administration has to do a better job of getting their statements publicized.

The White House can urge the Iraqis appear on Sunday talk shows - Allawi has been asked to do so, but has refused until he addresses the Iraqi people. Or President Bush can hold joint news conferences with them.

Two weeks ago, the Pew Research Center published the latest study demonstrating that many more national news reporters identify themselves as "liberal" (34 percent) than "conservative" (7 percent).

While most (54 percent) consider themselves "moderate," even the "moderates" demonstrated that they had liberal attitudes on religion, gay rights and activist government.

It's unfortunate that Pew did not ask journalists how they feel about Iraq. I'd bet such a poll would demonstrate that the defeatism conveyed in media coverage on Iraq grows directly out of reporters' political attitudes. (The poll did find that 55 percent of national reporters believe the media are "not critical enough" of Bush.)

America's hope for victory in Iraq depends on Bush's getting the good news on Iraq directly to Americans. The media won't help.

The job of the US press is not to play cheerleader. Their job is to point out mistakes so that the government pays attention to those mistakes and fixes them.
You know the adage "no news is good news."
The US media plays a watchdog role. It has always been such. That's what helps keep our government in some sort of line. The media is the fourth estate.
It's always been this way. George Washington almost didn't run a second term because he was "thin-skinned" and couldn't adapt well to the negative press about him in late 18th century.
As for Soros, he may be right. www.iraqbodycount.org claims that as many as 10,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed since the invasion. I'm not there so I don't know, but if they are right that is more than three 9-11s in their country.
Most Iraqis are pissed. They remember the 1980s when the US pretended to back them in their war against Iran while the US secretly supplied weapons to Iran. Many Iraqis died in this conflict and they remember the puppetmaster.
And of course Allawi is going to praise the occupation, his position depends on it.
I'm a journalist myself and yes most of my colleagues would be dubbed liberal and they oppose the war. Nobody enters journalism so that they can praise the establishment, they seek to find its faults in the hopes that improvements can be made.
As for FOX, they exist for nothing but profit. They are more of entertainers than journalists.All Americans want to see nothing but positive things about ourselves in the world, me included. FOX knows this and their US-can-do-no-wrong-spin attracts ample ratings, but it does a disservice to the craft of journalism and the American public with its lapdog mentality.

Originally posted by menewa
The job of the US press is not to play cheerleader. Their job is to point out mistakes so that the government pays attention to those mistakes and fixes them.

I thought their "job" was to report the news and it's "we the people's" job to point out mistakes so that the government pays attention. How are we to have any opinion on anything if it's not being reported. So basically, it's the US presses job to censor the news to only mistakes of the government (the Republican side of the government, let's be honest). There are good things happening in Iraq, why don't we hear of that NEWS?

That's what helps keep our government in some sort of line.
It's what helps keep our country divided.

As for Soros, he may be right. www.iraqbodycount.org claims that as many as 10,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed since the invasion.
How many of these 10,000 Iraqi civilians were killed by the terrorists, insurgents, suicide bombers (whatever they're being called now)? I wouldn't know since we're led to believe that they were ALL killed by US soldiers.

And of course Allawi is going to praise the occupation, his position depends on it.
Of course he couldn't possibly be telling the truth, it doesn't help the left.

As for FOX, they exist for nothing but profit. They are more of entertainers than journalists.All Americans want to see nothing but positive things about ourselves in the world, me included. FOX knows this and their US-can-do-no-wrong-spin attracts ample ratings, but it does a disservice to the craft of journalism and the American public with its lapdog mentality.
They report bad news on FOX too, they report news. I don't think telling good news too is a "disservice to the craft of journalism", I think the disservice comes when they intentionally leave out any good news, or burying it on page A18, and even then not tell the whole story because it does look good for Bush. I think it's a disservice when all you hear is bad about Bush and good about Kerry, come on. If they wanted to point out shortcomings, why isn't Kerry's mug plastered all over the papers everyday, there's enough shortcomings right there!!!

of course Allawi is going to praise the occupation, his position depends on it.

perhaps you're not aware that Allawi was not the americans first choice, in fact, wasn't the americans choice at all. He was chosen because he was strongly against the occupation but was smart enough to realize that Iraq is not ready to go it alone yet. He is also just the Interim leader, one who will lose that position once free elections are held.

The job of the US press is not to play cheerleader. Their job is to point out mistakes so that the government pays attention to those mistakes and fixes them

You can't really believe this----please tell me you don't!

The media is supposed to REPORT the news and we decide. Hense FOX's "We report, you decide" motto. It is most certainly NOT to swing the news to one side or another. If the news only reported good things, i'd be weary of the info. If it only reported bad things (much like everyone except FOX is doing now) i'd be weary of the info.

That is my problem with the media these days. They report in their opinion what we should see. FOX reports every side so that we can decide what we think.

Here is the question to ask...how much would the media criticize a very liberal administration?

-Douglas

As for FOX, they exist for nothing but profit.

Of course they are in it for the profits. Every news group is trying make a profit. What kind a moron would run a paper or news station without trying to make money...oh wait. other than the liberal talk shows. Which of course is why they failed.

Do you think anyone would report the news if they didnt make money? There is a demand for news. people who want to make profits fill that demand by giving them the news and hence making money.

The problem with that is Americans arent stupid. They know when they are getting fed one sided information. Which is why the liberal news media has lost its monopoly on the news. Now it has competition from Fox and other conservative news outlets that choose to report the news and air opposing viewpoints.

Liberalism cant survive with competition though. Thats why they try to silence those that have opposing viewpoints. Hence political correctness and the constant attacks on Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

Originally posted by Shazbot
Here is the question to ask...how much would the media criticize a very liberal administration?

-Douglas

Dunno. Ive never seen it happen. They tend to just critisize the Republican investigations into the administration.

You know the adage "no news is good news."
The US media plays a watchdog role. It has always been such. That's what helps keep our government in some sort of line. The media is the fourth estate.
It's always been this way. George Washington almost didn't run a second term because he was "thin-skinned" and couldn't adapt well to the negative press about him in late 18th century.
As for Soros, he may be right. www.iraqbodycount.org claims that as many as 10,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed since the invasion. I'm not there so I don't know, but if they are right that is more than three 9-11s in their country.
Most Iraqis are pissed. They remember the 1980s when the US pretended to back them in their war against Iran while the US secretly supplied weapons to Iran. Many Iraqis died in this conflict and they remember the puppetmaster.
I'm a journalist myself and yes most of my colleagues would be dubbed liberal and they oppose the war. Nobody enters journalism so that they can praise the establishment, they seek to find its faults in the hopes that improvements can be made.

You're part of the problem. Journalists are supposed to report on events, not editorialize and report what they think we should know and how you want us to know about it.

In this post you have "reported" un-substantiated facts, added your own opinions, sprinkled in a little bullshit for good measure and gave creedence to George Soros. To claim that FOX "does a disservice to the craft of journalism and the American public" is the proverbial pot calling the kettle black.

Did anyone see the D-day ceremonies in Paris on any of the networks? Just asking. :D :-..d

Originally posted by Shazbot

-Douglas

I don't know, we've never had one in my lifetime?
And don't say Clinton was very liberal, he was a centrists.

It's hard to say that the media is conservative or liberal because people on the left say it's conservative and people on the right say it's liberal. Judging from this, it seems that is close to the middle.
The real problem with television media today is the lack of in-depth reporting due to corporate influence and the hopes of making as much money with as little investment as possible. That's why public media tends to be the best source.

Originally posted by Avatar4321

Liberalism cant survive with competition though.

This is false. The Nation, one of the oldest news publications in the country has gotten an extreme surge of subcriptions in the past year. And the Nation is the epitomy of liberalism.
But I admit, it is hard for liberalism to compete with the corporate interests of conservatives, but it's been doing it bravely since before the Revolutionary War in this country.

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
You're part of the problem. Journalists are supposed to report on events, not editorialize and report what they think we should know and how you want us to know about it.

In this post you have "reported" un-substantiated facts, added your own opinions, sprinkled in a little bullshit for good measure and gave creedence to George Soros. To claim that FOX "does a disservice to the craft of journalism and the American public" is the proverbial pot calling the kettle black.
\

Of course FOX can do and say whatever it wants. My problem is how much can you trust a news station that must reiterate the fact that it's fair and balanced a thousand times a day. That's the type of strategy used by the insane ruler of North Korea.
And of course I used opinions in my post, do you think this is an objective message board?

Originally posted by dilloduck
The job of the US press is not to play cheerleader. Their job is to point out mistakes so that the government pays attention to those mistakes and fixes them

You can't really believe this----please tell me you don't!

The purpose of the press is to point out problems in society in the hopes that positive changes can be made.
Why does this sound so incredible to you?

Not to nitpick, but since you started a lengthy post with this and I don't agree with it...

1. It is not the job of the US press to play cheerleader. You're right.

2. Their job goes WAY beyond "[pointing] out mistakes so that the government pays attention to those mistakes and fixes them." This is where I disagree with you.

3. The job of the press is to report news-- information about recent events or happenings, especially as reported by newspapers, periodicals, radio, or television.

So sometimes this involves cheerleading and sometimes this involves criticising government, but ultimately the best we can HOPE for is that they give us the NEWS. These days, I'd say that good, unbiased sources are harder and harder to find. Everyone has a book to sell or an agenda to push...

But I still believe in my Free Press and support it to death.

Menewa, tell us when FOX NEWS has not been fair and accurate. They have many 'opinion shows' such as O'Reilly, Hannity and Colmes, but even there, tell us when they haven't given the opposing view? If your children could only have it so good.

Originally posted by Kathianne
Menewa, tell us when FOX NEWS has not been fair and accurate. They have many 'opinion shows' such as O'Reilly, Hannity and Colmes, but even there, tell us when they haven't given the opposing view? If your children could only have it so good.

There are too many times to count. Just check www.fair.org and you'll find plenty. And the opinion shows never give fair time to both sides. They'll usually have one liberal on with two conservative yelling at him. They are usually never conducive to the further understanding of any issue. Unfortunately, many people across America, my parents included, have come to believe that all tv media is the liberal toy of the devil except for FOX.

What's this children business?

Originally posted by nycflasher

2. Their job goes WAY beyond "[pointing] out mistakes so that the government pays attention to those mistakes and fixes them." This is where I disagree with you.

You're correct in saying it goes further than this. But that is a core responsibilty and that is the legacy of the press in this nation. Without the circulation of tons of pamphlets and newsletters amongst colonists condemning the British, the Revolutionary War may have never gotten the backing necessary to ouust the Redcoats.

Forum List

Back