Meat and dairy to surpass oil as world's biggest polluter

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
Oh God, no!

THE VEGANS ARE COMING!

th

Emissions impossible

Just a minor correction, the biggest polluter on planet Earth is the U.S. federal government.It's the single largest consumer of energy given its hundreds of thousands of buildings and vehicles. Their annual utility bills are in the tens of billions. It's a matter of public record, all one has to do it look. And that's not even counting all of the bombs it's dropping all over the globe.

I don't think most people realize how horrible the meat and dairy industries are, in a number of ways. It's not just "emissions," it's the astronomical amount of excrement (yes, literal shit) from livestock that is stored in giant cesspools that sometimes runs off and pollutes nearby rivers and lakes, causing people who live nearby to be sick, killing off fish, etc, also contaminating groundwater.

Then there's the humongous amount of water it wastes, deforestation (about 80% of Amazon deforestation is for cattle ranching), the waste of food that is fed to livestock, ocean deadzones, and the list goes on. And all of that is completely unnecessary.

In my opinion, this is not a left/right issue. Too many people on the right (and I am a conservative, btw) automatically brush off anything to do with the environment, since it is typically thought of as a "liberal" issue. But that is so foolish. All of us should care about the environment, and as a Christian, I believe that we should have much more respect for this earth that was entrusted to us. And the animals, of course. We are supposed to be responsible stewards, not selfish destroyers, just because we want to to satisfy our own desires.

The good news (from my perspective) is that more and more people are going vegan, there is less demand for cow's milk, so the dairy industry is slowly dying, and as time goes on, more and more people are waking up to the horrors of factory farming, and people are eating less meat.

• Banned
I don't think most people realize how horrible the meat and dairy industries are, in a number of ways. It's not just "emissions," it's the astronomical amount of excrement (yes, literal shit) from livestock that is stored in giant cesspools that sometimes runs off and pollutes nearby rivers and lakes, causing people who live nearby to be sick, killing off fish, etc, also contaminating groundwater.

Then there's the humongous amount of water it wastes, deforestation (about 80% of Amazon deforestation is for cattle ranching), the waste of food that is fed to livestock, ocean deadzones, and the list goes on. And all of that is completely unnecessary.

In my opinion, this is not a left/right issue. Too many people on the right (and I am a conservative, btw) automatically brush off anything to do with the environment, since it is typically thought of as a "liberal" issue. But that is so foolish. All of us should care about the environment, and as a Christian, I believe that we should have much more respect for this earth that was entrusted to us. And the animals, of course. We are supposed to be responsible stewards, not selfish destroyers, just because we want to to satisfy our own desires.

The good news (from my perspective) is that more and more people are going vegan, there is less demand for cow's milk, so the dairy industry is slowly dying, and as time goes on, more and more people are waking up to the horrors of factory farming, and people are eating less meat.

I really don't think the dairy industry is dying. The simple truth is you're never going to get most people off meat and dairy, at least not for a very long time. We have to find ways to improve the situation that aren't just "Go vegan!" It's not a practical solution so it's not going to help.

so much bull shit from a snowflake...

Have you ever worked in this industry? not from the evidence... dying?.. Not hardly..

I really don't think the dairy industry is dying. The simple truth is you're never going to get most people off meat and dairy, at least not for a very long time. We have to find ways to improve the situation that aren't just "Go vegan!" It's not a practical solution so it's not going to help.

Milk sales are definitely going down, look at the stats. Meanwhile, sales of plant-based milks are going up every year. Non-dairy milk sales surge as shoppers sour on the popular cow-based alternative

As for the other thing you said, I disagree, it is happening now, people are going vegan in droves. The future is vegan. And this is coming from someone who used to love meat and dairy so much that I specifically remember saying, "I could never ever go vegan, because there's no way I could ever give up eating meat." The funny thing is, pretty much every vegan said that exact same thing.

Milk sales are definitely going down, look at the stats. Meanwhile, sales of plant-based milks are going up every year. Non-dairy milk sales surge as shoppers sour on the popular cow-based alternative

As for the other thing you said, I disagree, it is happening now, people are going vegan in droves. The future is vegan. And this is coming from someone who used to love meat and dairy so much that I specifically remember saying, "I could never ever go vegan, because there's no way I could ever give up eating meat." The funny thing is, pretty much every vegan said that exact same thing.

Both of those things you're hoping for at the very least are going to take a very long time to achieve. The dairy industry is huge and it's not going anywhere anytime soon, and less than 3% of the U.S population is vegan. It's even less in China and undeveloped countries. We need better solutions that we can count on. How long do you think it will take for the dairy industry to die and for humanity to go vegan?

Both of those things you're hoping for at the very least are going to take a very long time to achieve. The dairy industry is huge and it's not going anywhere anytime soon, and less than 3% of the U.S population is vegan. It's even less in China and undeveloped countries. We need better solutions that we can count on. How long do you think it will take for the dairy industry to die and for humanity to go vegan?

It has been huge, but things are changing. Thanks to the internet, people are becoming aware of what's actually going on in factory farms. We never hear about this from the media, but thanks to undercover investigations, documentaries, the internet and word of mouth…people are learning about the cruel practices that are SOP in the animal industries.

I don't want to make any predictions on how long it will take, but the move toward a plant-based diet is absolutely observable and it's going up and up every year. Some people do it for health reasons and others for ethical reasons. I'm just telling you that it's happening, and it's OK if you don't believe me right now, but please mark my words. : )

I'm not sure what you have in mind by "other solutions"… But it is becoming more and more clear that moving to a plant-based diet will solve a number of problems. Take a look at this article: Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth (and that is only about the environment, which is just one issue out of many.)

It has been huge, but things are changing. Thanks to the internet, people are becoming aware of what's actually going on in factory farms. We never hear about this from the media, but thanks to undercover investigations, documentaries, the internet and word of mouth…people are learning about the cruel practices that are SOP in the animal industries.

I don't want to make any predictions on how long it will take, but the move toward a plant-based diet is absolutely observable and it's going up and up every year. Some people do it for health reasons and others for ethical reasons. I'm just telling you that it's happening, and it's OK if you don't believe me right now, but please mark my words. : )

I'm not sure what you have in mind by "other solutions"… But it is becoming more and more clear that moving to a plant-based diet will solve a number of problems. Take a look at this article: Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth (and that is only about the environment, which is just one issue out of many.)
They are called CAFO's,concentrated animal feeding operation.

Forum List

Back