McCain: A question of temperament

Because that's what was said, right? That no former POW should be president... Couldn't be McCain's temperment which might be a problem? And certainly, no questions should ever be asked.... no matter what the indications that they should.

Since when does the military let in felons, btw?

Felons cover a HUGE swath of crimes, all of which are not indictive of an inability to serve. And Felons always have served. Just when recruitment is way up less or none are waived. That is the way it works.

Because that's what was said, right? That no former POW should be president... Couldn't be McCain's temperment which might be a problem? And certainly, no questions should ever be asked.... no matter what the indications that they should.

Since when does the military let in felons, btw?

Did you read Paulitic's post? The part I quoted was taken out of context. Maybe you just feel like picking a fight today. In any case, the poster made a connection between McCain's torture and his temperment; he suggested that because mcCain was tortured, it caused his temperment "problem".

As for felons in the military, if you haven't read the thread about support for the draft, then I can understand your lack of knowledge and not getting that reference.

As for questions being asked, where did I say that? In fact, I asked one of my own. Questions should indeed be asked and the answers considered carefully.

Jillian: my bad. the thread about felons in the militarty is titled that way....it was not about a draft specifically.

While none of us know McCain well enough to gauge his temper, I know people, even my own brothers, who have tempers that are downright scary. And often a little drink will light the fire. I am personally hoping for a democrat this time but having read this about McCain a few times now you gotta wonder. In person, on TV he seems very reasonable though?

I think we're so used to watching politicians who never show their real faces that we've forgotten what a human looks like.

I like the fact that he says what he means once in a while.

Did you read Paulitic's post? The part I quoted was taken out of context. Maybe you just feel like picking a fight today. In any case, the poster made a connection between McCain's torture and his temperment; he suggested that because mcCain was tortured, it caused his temperment "problem".

No. Didn't feel like picking a fight any more than you did in responding to him. ;)

I think it was clear, however, that the reference wasn't to all former POW's (as a "list" of people who couldn't serve as president would include, according to your post). It was to McCain, specifically, because of *his* own temper and temperment.

As for felons in the military, if you haven't read the thread about support for the draft, then I can understand your lack of knowledge and not getting that reference.

I am aware that exceptions are made for certain felons and always have been. I am also aware that more exceptions are being made now because recruitment is down. Personally, I think this could diminish the military, but that's purely surmise.

As for questions being asked, where did I say that? In fact, I asked one of my own. Questions should indeed be asked and the answers considered carefully.

Agreed.

The military has always included felons. It's nothing new. It won't affect it one way or the other.

It is rather interesting the way a few posts are headed lately. The thread about the draft has a post or two about restricting felons from military serrvice and now we have one that implies former POWs that were tortured should be restricted from being President.

I'm making a list so we alll know who should be restricted from what profession/position.

I said NOTHING about being restricted. I however, as a voter, have restricted him in my own right. I don't feel he's qualified. That's got nothing to do with officially restricting him, because I'm quite clear on the official law and qualifications for being president.

No I didn't. I suggested that because he was tortured, he very well could have psychological issues. If that might happen to include his temperment, then so be it. I actually think his "temperment" is a microcosm. I never suggested that BECAUSE of his toture, he has a bad temper. But I can probably say with certainty that if I was tortured like that, I'd be a little pissed. Just saying.

Next time, before you jump to conclusions like that, maybe you should just ask.

You're obsessing over verbage again. I didn't say you weren't aware there had always been felons. I was saying we've always had them and it won't make any difference now.

I don't think the numbers are "way up". Do you have any stats?

The military has always been an out for young kids who got in trouble. Many straightend out under the military discipline. There are, however, crimes that I don't want in my unit if I am leading Marines. Two are listed below.

WASHINGTON - Under pressure to meet combat needs, the Army and Marine Corps brought in significantly more recruits with felony convictions last year than in 2006, including some with manslaughter and sex crime convictions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080421/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/military_felons

My concern with McCain is not that he was a POW. I can't see punishing him anymore after what he had to put up with there.

My concern is his temper. As I stated earlier, being able to display temper when needed is an asset. Not being able to control you temper is a weakness. That's why they have anger management classes.

I misspoke on the date when he used the slur against his wife. I think it was back in the 90s. I can't find the same source I found last night.

John McCain's temper is well documented. He's called opponents and colleagues "shitheads," "assholes" and in at least one case "a fucking jerk."

Three reporters from Arizona, on the condition of anonymity, also let me blogger Cliff Schecter! in on another incident involving McCain’s intemperateness. In his 1992 Senate bid, McCain was joined on the campaign trail by his wife, Cindy, as well as campaign aide Doug Cole and consultant Wes Gullett. At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain’s hair and said, “You’re getting a little thin up there.” McCain’s face reddened, and he responded, “At least I don’t plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you ****.”

McCain’s excuse was that it had been a long day. If elected president of the United States, McCain would have many long days.

http://maruthecrankpot.blogspot.com/2008/04/mcnasty-boils-over-calls-wife-c-word.html

Maybe I have a better marriage or more control of my mouth, but I would never call my wife this to her or to others. I don't consider it a real good sign of a solid leader.

The numbers are not way up, they are increasing. It's in the article.

Again can you find a single credible source--one that is NOT an anti-Bush, anti-Republican, anti-McCain, anti-conservative blog--to support your allegations against McCain?

You do understand that somebody manufactures this stuff and then it is picked up and used irresponsibly and/or maliciously by others hoping that made up mud will stick?

Do you honestly believe that if these allegations were true, you wouldn't have seen them in the mainstream media somewhere?

I said NOTHING about being restricted. I however, as a voter, have restricted him in my own right. I don't feel he's qualified. That's got nothing to do with officially restricting him, because I'm quite clear on the official law and qualifications for being president.

No I didn't. I suggested that because he was tortured, he very well could have psychological issues. If that might happen to include his temperment, then so be it. I actually think his "temperment" is a microcosm. I never suggested that BECAUSE of his toture, he has a bad temper. But I can probably say with certainty that if I was tortured like that, I'd be a little pissed. Just saying.

Next time, before you jump to conclusions like that, maybe you should just ask.

I didn't jump to conclusions...I gathered certain things from your post...you know, like inferring that McCain may be a bit nutty because he was tortured even though you have NOTHING to base that on other than it is well known he was tortured. I submit that gauging the well being of someone like Mccain based on your own low standards in resisting adversity or even torture is hardly fair.

I didn't jump to conclusions...I gathered certain things from your post...you know, like inferring that McCain may be a bit nutty because he was tortured even though you have NOTHING to base that on other than it is well known he was tortured. I submit that gauging the well being of someone like Mccain based on your own low standards in resisting adversity or even torture is hardly fair.

Never inferred McCain was "nutty" either. Are you disagreeing that almost 6 years of torture would negatively affect one's psychological state, though?

Negative affects on psychological state are not synonymous with being "nutty".

Quit putting words in my mouth.

I checked out every link and I don't see any first hand reports of this horrible temper everyone is freaking out about. I see veiled and mysterious references to it, people who refuse to discuss it, and one incident from 1992 where he and another guy pushed each other over something about Viet Nam.

I'd say the way he handled himself as a POW speaks for itself. If he was going to crack up, that would have been when it happened. If PTSD was an issue, you would have seen it already.

I like the fact that he is a formiddable foe.

I swear, you guys want some lick boot pansy to lead the US?

Forum List

Back