Masha Gessen allegedly gives away the true motive of the Gay Marriage movement

Do I get to pick one rightwing nut and declare him representative of you and all the other conservatives?
If it is a RUSSIAN right wing nut, then yes.

Who the fuck has even heard of Gessen before now? Who knew she was the one behind all this?

The only "gay conspiracy" is that they want to be treated as equals with respect. That terrifies many people, as was the case during the civil rights movement. Masha Gessen grew up in a country bubbling with government sanctioned hatred against minorities of all types. You shouldn't be surprised if she says crazy nonsense.

Huh?
Huh what.

That you're all of a sudden dismissing her as the proverbial "Sarah Palin" of the gay rights movement. I'm smelling a lot of backtracking here. And a lot of attempts to change the subject.
For her to be the proverbial "Sarah Palin" people in the U.S. would need to have an idea of who this person is. Nobody has a clue, except you and other conservatives who scoured the internet to find this comment of hers. She grew up in Russia, where opposition voices disappear, non-violent protesters go to jail, and the government overtly opposes gay people. Don't feign surprise that this activist from a backwards society you dregged up said something extreme.

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

It seems like everyone else in the media knows about her. The NYT, ABC, and the Washington Post. I'm shocked none of you know who she is.

It's nice to know that she speaks for the gay agenda.

Ah, and thanks for making the point of this thread, and confirming that what she said was true.

Of course. That's exactly what I did. I confirmed that a person named Masha Gessen speaks for gay people the world over.

Well done. You are a true Master Bator.
Yes, I have been receiving the Gessen newsletter since 2004. I guess it is all out in the open now. She's the reason I have been supporting equal government cash and prizes for gay married couples all this time.

Whew! I am so glad to get that off my chest!

It's nice to know that she speaks for the gay agenda.

Ah, and thanks for making the point of this thread, and confirming that what she said was true.
Is Of course. That's exactly what I did. I confirmed that a person named Masha Gessen speaks for gay people the world over.

Well done. You are a true Master Bator.
Yes, I have been receiving the Gessen newsletter since 2004. I guess it is all out in the open now. She's the reason I have been supporting equal government cash and prizes for gay married couples all this time.

Whew! I am so glad to get that off my chest!

Ohhhhh! The GESSEN REPORT!!! Why didn't you say so! Shall we tell TK what the super-duper-top secret-anti marriage handshake is?

Masha Gessen is an idiot and is not representative of the gay rights movement as a whole.

That's interesting. Why not?

Because gays were not fighting to get marriage so they could destroy it. Gessen's argument is absurd. You only want to believe she represents the movement as a whole so you can claim you feel betrayed about 'supporting gay marriage' when in fact I don't believe you really ever did.

Last edited:
Bingo. It has been obvious for at least the last several years that liberals intended to use gay marriage laws to attack religious freedom, to persecute religious vendors, to attack private religious schools, and to launch a frontal assault on Christian churches.

We've seen several liberals on this board who are happy dandy (1) to see Christian colleges shut down for trying to follow long-standing, previously non-controversial codes of conduct, (2) to see Christian colleges forced to hire gays or face prosecution, and (3) to see Christian vendors fined or jailed for declining to service/attend gay weddings. This Hitler-Stalin-like anti-Christian bigotry was unthinkable to our grandparents and their parents.

Bingo. It has been obvious for at least the last several years that liberals intended to use gay marriage laws to attack religious freedom, to persecute religious vendors, to attack private religious schools, and to launch a frontal assault on Christian churches.

We've seen several liberals on this board who are happy dandy (1) to see Christian colleges shut down for trying to follow long-standing, previously non-controversial codes of conduct, (2) to see Christian colleges forced to hire gays or face prosecution, and (3) to see Christian vendors fined or jailed for declining to service/attend gay weddings. This Hitler-Stalin-like anti-Christian bigotry was unthinkable to our grandparents and their parents.
You poor thing :itsok:

LOL. So, here are a few more hoops for you to attempt to jump through. Gessen isn't the sole representative of the LGBT movement, but she is one of many. STATING THE SAME THING. Funny I had all of these stashed away...

1. "Opting out of marriage altogether will provide a quicker path to progress, as only the death of marriage can bring about the dawn of equality for all."
-- Dr. Meagan Tyler,
Lecturer in Sociology at Victoria University

2. "The real question that should be debated is not whether gay marriage should be allowed, but rather, is marriage really something we need anymore?"
-- David Vakalis

3. "A middle ground might be to fight for same-sex marriage and its benefits and then, once granted, redefine the institution of marriage completely, to demand the right to marry not as a way of adhering to society’s moral codes but rather to debunk a myth and radically alter an archaic institution. [Legalizing "same-sex marriage"] is also a chance to wholly transform the definition of family in American culture.”
-- Michelangelo Signorile,
OUT magazine, December/January 1994

4. "And after all, we are advocating the destruction of the centrality of marriage and the nuclear family unit... ."
-- Ryan Conrad

5. "But perhaps the next step isn’t to, once again, expand the otherwise narrow definition of marriage but to altogether abolish the false distinction between married families and other equally valid but unrecognized partnerships."
-- Sally Kohn,
Prop 8: Let’s Get Rid of Marriage Instead!

6. "Wouldn't marriage's death as a state institution, including for straight people, be the best solution? ...Scrap the civil register; make no distinction in the state's eyes between married and unmarried citizens."
-- Alex Gabriel,
Politics.co.uk

7. "Marriage is the proverbial burning building. Instead of pounding on the door to be let in... queers should be stoking the flames!"
-- National Conference on Organized Resistance

8. "Marriage should not be a goal; it should be a choice. One choice available out of many recognized as valid by society. But it isn’t. Not yet. Right now, as far as society is concerned, you are married or you are not yet married. And as that notion becomes further codified our freedom to make other choices steadily erodes."
-- David McGee

9. "We must aim at the abolition of the family, so that the sexist, male supremacist system can no longer be nurtured there."
-- Gay Liberation Front: Manifesto,
London, 1971, revised 1978

10. “Being queer means pushing the parameters of sex and family, and in the process, transforming the very fabric of society. ... We must keep our eyes on the goal ... of radically reordering society’s views of reality." [source]
-- Paula Ettelbrick
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

11. fighting for gay marriage generally involves lying about what we are going to do with marriage when we get there—because we lie that the institution of marriage is not going to change, and that is a lie. The institution of marriage is going to change, and it should change. And again, I don’t think it should exist."
-- Masha Gessen, journalist
During a panel discussion at the Sydney Writers Festival

Masha Gessen is an idiot and is not representative of the gay rights movement as a whole.

That's interesting. Why not?

Because gays were not fighting to get marriage so they could destroy it. Gessen's argument is absurd. You only want to believe she represents the movement as a whole so you claim you feel betrayed about 'supporting gay marriage' when in fact I don't believe you really ever did.

That is exactly right. Tomorrow, numb nuts will cite some obscure, unknown person who claims that the drive to remove the confederate flag is really a plan to give South Carolina to ISIS for a Christmas gift.

LOL. So, here are a few more hoops for you to attempt to jump through. Gessen isn't the sole representative of the LGBT movement, but she is one of many. STATING THE SAME THING. Funny I had all of these stashed away...

1. "Opting out of marriage altogether will provide a quicker path to progress, as only the death of marriage can bring about the dawn of equality for all."
-- Dr. Meagan Tyler,
Lecturer in Sociology at Victoria University

2. "The real question that should be debated is not whether gay marriage should be allowed, but rather, is marriage really something we need anymore?"
-- David Vakalis

3. "A middle ground might be to fight for same-sex marriage and its benefits and then, once granted, redefine the institution of marriage completely, to demand the right to marry not as a way of adhering to society’s moral codes but rather to debunk a myth and radically alter an archaic institution. [Legalizing "same-sex marriage"] is also a chance to wholly transform the definition of family in American culture.”
-- Michelangelo Signorile,
OUT magazine, December/January 1994

4. "And after all, we are advocating the destruction of the centrality of marriage and the nuclear family unit... ."
-- Ryan Conrad

5. "But perhaps the next step isn’t to, once again, expand the otherwise narrow definition of marriage but to altogether abolish the false distinction between married families and other equally valid but unrecognized partnerships."
-- Sally Kohn,
Prop 8: Let’s Get Rid of Marriage Instead!

6. "Wouldn't marriage's death as a state institution, including for straight people, be the best solution? ...Scrap the civil register; make no distinction in the state's eyes between married and unmarried citizens."
-- Alex Gabriel,
Politics.co.uk

7. "Marriage is the proverbial burning building. Instead of pounding on the door to be let in... queers should be stoking the flames!"
-- National Conference on Organized Resistance

8. "Marriage should not be a goal; it should be a choice. One choice available out of many recognized as valid by society. But it isn’t. Not yet. Right now, as far as society is concerned, you are married or you are not yet married. And as that notion becomes further codified our freedom to make other choices steadily erodes."
-- David McGee

9. "We must aim at the abolition of the family, so that the sexist, male supremacist system can no longer be nurtured there."
-- Gay Liberation Front: Manifesto,
London, 1971, revised 1978

10. “Being queer means pushing the parameters of sex and family, and in the process, transforming the very fabric of society. ... We must keep our eyes on the goal ... of radically reordering society’s views of reality." [source]
-- Paula Ettelbrick
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

11. fighting for gay marriage generally involves lying about what we are going to do with marriage when we get there—because we lie that the institution of marriage is not going to change, and that is a lie. The institution of marriage is going to change, and it should change. And again, I don’t think it should exist."
-- Masha Gessen, journalist
During a panel discussion at the Sydney Writers Festival

It is funny that you had all those "stashed away".

I still don't know who any of those people are, and why you believe they somehow represent the entire LGBT movement.

Forum List

Back